PDA

View Full Version : Bee Sting First Aid

RedJohn
03-28-2011, 11:18 PM
(c) Copyright unknown

Insects in general cause a great deal of undue anxiety and many people are frightening to the point of not wanting to explore the outdoors. This is understandable if they have had a severe or at worst, an anaphylactic reaction from bee or wasp stings. Bee and wasp stings account for the majority of individuals who experience severe allergic reactions. However the vast majority only have local reactions. Please remember that honeybees can only sting once. After they sting you, they fly away and die because they have basically eviscerated themselves and they usually leave part of their intestine along with the stinger in the wound, as opposed to hornets and yellow jackets which can sting numerous times.
Initial signs and symptoms generally include immediate pain, followed by redness and a wheal will develop at the sting site. These can get rather large, even larger than a silver dollar, with redness. This is a histamine reaction, or the body’s reaction to the venom. It is not a reaction from the amount of poison that was delivered, a common myth.

Bee Sting Treatment

Treatment for the majority of stings is very simple and consists of cool compresses to the area, no ice. You want to remove the stinger by either pulling it out or scraping it. There was a lot of controversy regarding this, that if you pulled out a stinger from a bee that is still pumping venom, you will induce more venom. This has been studied at length and is also a myth. It does not matter how you get the stinger out as long as you remove it. The reason for that is it can cause secondary infection.

Antihistamines are helpful. Diphenhydramine is always in my pack when I am in the outdoors. You can also pick up other antihistamines, for example an H2 Blocker like Tagamet (generic name Cimetidine) which can also be helpful. You want to observe the individual for at least 24-hours. Most anaphylactic-type reactions will occur within the first 3-4 hours, usually within the first 30 minutes, where you will see an individual with generalized massive hives, itching, shortness of breath and difficulty breathing. These are medical emergencies and patients need to be transported immediately or as soon as possible as they are potentially life-threatening. The question now arises, should everyone carry an Epi-pen? Anyone can have a severe allergic reaction at any point in their lifetime, whether to a bee sting or to a new shampoo or soap product. If one is spending quite a bit of time in the outdoors or you know you are going to be out a week or so, even 3 days out to the mountains or a remove area, it would be very advisable to have an epi-pen. A Boy Scout leader once indicated to me that none of the members of his troop had a history of anaphylactic reaction. They were going out to Utah for a week that summer. He was asking whether he should have an epi-pen available. I told him absolutely yes, as we don’t know if one of these children will have an allergic reaction should they get stung by a bee, and why take the risk? Epi-pens are auto-injectible pens which anyone can use. They do need a prescription written in order to be carried. They are very easy to use. However it is important that individuals know when to use them, and they don’t just inject every time someone has a bee sting. They should only be used when there are signs and symptoms of a severe, anaphylactic type reaction.

bacpacker
03-29-2011, 12:01 AM
Good info RJ, Guess I need to talk to my Dr to get a scrip for an EPI.

ladyhk13
11-06-2011, 01:49 AM
RJ,
I know this is old but since I'm new here as are many of us I wanted to tell you that it is very good info. I keep a LOT of epi's on hand as we have an apple orchard which of course attracts bees like crazy. I know that almost every prescription lasts long after the expiration date but do not know about these, any idea?

bacpacker
11-06-2011, 01:07 AM
Lady I'm glad you brought this back up. I had totally forgotten about gettin the EPI Pens.

LUNCHBOX
11-06-2011, 03:48 AM
I think a couple Epi pens are good to have on hand. I'm not allergic to anything that I know of but I still acquired a few to put with my medical items.

ladyhk13
11-07-2011, 01:09 AM
We keep them on hand since having an orchard.......we have LOTS of bees around except for during the winter.

Sniper-T
11-07-2011, 01:13 AM
great info RJ... did you see this thread:

http://www.shtfready.com/medical-supplies/extractor-565.html

???

izzyscout21
11-07-2011, 06:35 PM
I am SOOOOOOO freakin allergic to bees. Oddly enough, after the "stung on the tongue in basic" fiasco, I didn't find out I was allergic until one night in Germany I "found" one in my bed..........or it found me. Whatever.

Ever since then, the Epi-pen is never far away.

stew47
11-10-2011, 01:42 AM
If this helps.... I don't give epi to people even if their eyes are gonna swell shut(I give those people benadryl im). I reserve the epi for trouble breathing or dizziness( shock). Hope this helps on when to give it. There also is a small risk to people with bad hearts...but if you don't give it then they are toast.

ravensgrove
11-17-2011, 01:52 AM
So, we were taught by my Indian Mama to put tobacco, all chewed up on the bee sting. It immediately draws the puss and stinger out. Works every time.

bacpacker
11-18-2011, 02:55 AM
My grand pa and uncle raised bees when I was growin up. They both chewed and anytime they (or anyone else) got stung, they always put a little to baccer on the sting. Pain wentdown real quick!

ravensgrove
11-18-2011, 05:44 PM
I get stung, not frequently, but I get stung quite a bit I am outside all day everyday in the spring/summer messing with THEIR gardens. ;) I always use the tobacco trick, its nasty, but it works. I admit, I have never had a huge allergic reaction to bee stings, so if oyu have an anaphylactic reaction to bee stings I'd still stock up on epipens.

Gunfixr
11-20-2011, 01:30 AM
I grew up being allergic to all insect bites, but at 19yrs, that went away.
Now I'm allergic to any and all kinds of seafood, which is a bummer since I live on the East Coast, and grew up eating seafood.

Anyway, I don't know if it works on bee stings, but rubbing saliva from your mouth onto mosquito bites helps them to go down rather quickly also.
It is painful, but if you squeeze a mosquito bite until after the clear liquid stops and blood comes out, they will be gone the next day.

We do have one of the Extractor kits, probably should get another.
After all, two is one, and one is none.

slowz1k
06-18-2012, 02:29 PM
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but It's information is still current and helpful.

I got lit up by a nest of Yellow Jackets this past weekend. We have a few apple trees and vole holes, which appears to be the perfect combination for inviting a yellow jacket colony for an extended stay. They love apples, and a vole hole makes a perfect condo. It seems that I "find" a nest at least every other year while mowing. This last attack was only three stings, but they were all localized on my right ankle. I had experienced many more stings than that at one time, so no big deal... so I thought. After about four hours my foot had swollen like a balloon, and my lower leg was starting to swell as well. No breathing problems and heart rate was good so I knew I wasn't in too much trouble, unless there was an infection. Yellow Jackets like to play in poo, and dead animals.... I did not know this until I did a little research. This makes the yellow jacket sting a little more dangerous, than the common honey bee or wasp, due to the possible transfer of bacteria.
A few rounds of Benadryl and the swelling has gone down. Still a little stiff almost 48 hours later. I could have saved myself a lot of discomfort had I popped the Bena right after the incident. I just really didn't think that three stings could be that bad.
Points of this story:
1. If you live or plan to be around an area that has a known bee population, it may be a good idea to have some of the meds mentioned above on hand.
2. You never really know how your body is going to react to any injected venom... regardless of how many times you've experienced that same venom in the past.
3. Something as small as a bee sting could take you or a loved one out, in a post event world where modern meds, and/or medical attention may not be available. Be prepared.

Sniper-T
06-18-2012, 02:40 PM
It would be nice to be able to just 'buy' epipens

Echo2
06-18-2012, 04:14 PM
It would be nice to be able to just 'buy' epipens

I'm no doctor....don't do this.....never try this at home boys and girls....

But a couple puffs off a "primatene mist" (spelling) inhaler....will have an effect similar to an epipen.

BTW....the tobacco works by constricting vessels and the flow of blood to the site....so I've heard

Taz Baby
06-19-2012, 02:38 AM
When the bees and stinging insects are out so is the jewelweed. It works great and fast on all stings. I use it all the time. Just chew a leaf and put it on the sting. It takes the heat and stinging and itching away within 5 min. or at least it does for me. I also keep the leaves in a spice bottle and have one in everything I drive. The leaves will turn to mush and stink but still work, just don't have to chew them up, they are already wet,;)

Sniper-T
06-19-2012, 11:19 AM
I'm no doctor....don't do this.....never try this at home boys and girls....

But a couple puffs off a "primatene mist" (spelling) inhaler....will have an effect similar to an epipen.

BTW....the tobacco works by constricting vessels and the flow of blood to the site....so I've heard

Good info! The active ingredient in both Epipens and this inhaler are both Epinephrine.
From each website:
Epipen - 0.3 mg from here: http://files.epipen.gethifi.com/footer-pdfs/patient-packaging-insert-pdf/Patient-Information.pdf
Primatene mist - 0.22 mg from here: Primatene Mist Labeling (http://www.primatene.com/products/label_mist.asp)

So, not quite as strong, but a heck of a lot cheaper, and more readily available. Thanks for the post Echo2!!! I'm going to pick up a few! (just in case I get a little congested) ;)

Echo2
06-19-2012, 01:17 PM
On a different note....but in the same song....

You guys should pick up a copy of the "Physicians Desk Reference"....I got mine at a used book store for $5.00. It has height to weight ratios for medicating....which antibiotics for which injury or sickness....etc.

Good book to have in your survival library.

Sniper-T
06-19-2012, 01:28 PM
Interesting... anyone have the PDF??

izzyscout21
06-20-2012, 01:16 AM
Good info! The active ingredient in both Epipens and this inhaler are both Epinephrine.
From each website:
Epipen - 0.3 mg from here: http://files.epipen.gethifi.com/footer-pdfs/patient-packaging-insert-pdf/Patient-Information.pdf
Primatene mist - 0.22 mg from here: Primatene Mist Labeling (http://www.primatene.com/products/label_mist.asp)

So, not quite as strong, but a heck of a lot cheaper, and more readily available. Thanks for the post Echo2!!! I'm going to pick up a few! (just in case I get a little congested) ;)

last time I checked, the local Wal-Marts here quit carrying Primatene Mist. Anyone know if that's across the board, or is it only a local/ specific store thing?

Sniper-T
06-20-2012, 09:56 AM
I haven't looked here yet, but will. Did you try asking at the counter? They may have just taken it off display, and tucked it away out of sight.

DarkLight
06-20-2012, 11:29 AM
I though I recalled hearing primatine mist getting pulled completely from the market because of the propellant... Or was that another one?

Taz Baby
06-20-2012, 11:30 AM
I was given a PDR guide from my DR. When I went to live in the jungle, but that was in 95. Check the year.

Sniper-T
06-20-2012, 11:42 AM
A quick google:

Primatene® Tablets Home: Pfizer Consumer Healthcare (http://www.primatenetablets.com/fda/index.asp)

Seems the mist is gone... but is available in tablets!

Buy Primatene Bronchial Asthma Relief, Tablets & More | drugstore.com (http://www.drugstore.com/primatene-bronchial-asthma-relief-tablets/qxp15924?catid=183019)

Also available at stores near you (but not me :( )

Primatene® Tablets: Pfizer Consumer Healthcare (http://www.primatenetablets.com/store_locations.asp)