PDA

View Full Version : Simple Pleasures

The Stig
02-07-2012, 11:37 PM
Lil Stiglet has taken to watching Scooby Doo cartoons. Not the current day ones, the real-deal 1970's one with Casey Casem as Shaggy and lots of zoiks.

It's become a ritual to watch a couple episodes at night together. It's a nice way to wind down a bit, spend time with her, and (I won't lie) I kinda dig watching the cartoon I liked watching as a kid.

But the best part is just spending a little time together doing something we both like.

piranha2
02-07-2012, 11:52 PM
Ah yes, enjoy my friend. They grow up WAY too fast, go off and marry some ingrate. Cherish your time together.

ak474u
02-08-2012, 01:54 AM
I was just telling my wife how much fun it was to just sit and watch my son play quietly by himself... he just turned two, and he's a character. We get lots of time together right now, my business is slow and I keep him out of daycare when I know I don't have estimates.

Gunfixr
02-08-2012, 04:40 AM
Aahhhh, Stig, that's the good stuff.
Get all you can, soak it up like sunshine on a cool day, for it will be gone before you even realize it.

izzyscout21
02-08-2012, 04:49 AM
Nice. Glad to see they are learning to appreciate the classics.

On a similar note:

Is it bad my 2 year old twin girls know who Duke, Scarlett, Snake Eyes, and Roadblock are?

bacpacker
02-08-2012, 11:58 AM
Great post Stig. We don't have kids, but it's important for all of us to take sometime to just chill every now and then. It don't really matter what it is as long as you're enjoying yourself.
We love to take road trips just to see something new. Usually look for antique shops to hit up as well.

The Stig
02-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Is it bad my 2 year old twin girls know who Duke, Scarlett, Snake Eyes, and Roadblock are?

Not at all.

Now if you get into teaching them about the later characters, when they went all apeshit, then yes. Then you have a problem. Stick to the classics.

work in progress
02-08-2012, 02:05 PM
FINALLY! A generation of people who remember when wrestling was on after Saturday morning cartoons. And there was only one day to watch cartoons instead of them being on 24/7 like they are now.

I like being able to blame the fact that I'm excited about and going to a G rated movie on my four-year old. I also love the fact that we have the ability to introduce all the great things we experienced as children to our little ones. Museums - the circus - ice creams and being able to pick out your own candy with a couple of quarters. There's nothing like having a little one to help you remember what life is really all about.

Taz Baby
02-15-2012, 12:45 AM
lets not forget The Three Stoogirs. I was always late for school because of them.

bacpacker
02-15-2012, 12:56 AM
The Stooges are the best. I still like watching them. The wife and I used to stay up till the wee hours of the morning watching them.

ladyhk13
02-15-2012, 05:11 AM
OMG!!! Scoobie Doo!!! He's my hereo! I love him and the gang. My email is actually Scoobette (yeah, I got it bad), I have blankets, Christmas ornaments, Chia pet, a Christmas stocking that sings and does his laugh at the end of the songs...love all the old ones, not really crazy about the new ones though but will watch them if I had to. Who says ya have to have a kid to go to a G rated movie? My dh and I go to them all the time and love them! We switch between horror and G. It keeps ya young. Kids give you grey hair but I love the memories with my son and now that he's 21 I love making new ones....he LOVES cartoons to this day too.

izzyscout21
02-16-2012, 03:16 PM
I love lamp.

Katrina
02-16-2012, 07:27 PM
Saturday mornings with Mighty Mouse, Quick Draw MaGraw (I'm old) and all the others. Couldn't get up for school during the week but boy we were johnny on the spot Saturday mornings.Watched cartoons, then had to finish Saturday chores before American Bandstand came on, told you I was old LOL. Same deal when boys were little cartoons in am, chores done before any more TV on Saturdays. Now sons are doing the same with their kids. In the words of Teyve, TRADITION!!!

Taz Baby
02-16-2012, 07:55 PM
those of us who remember the good clean cartoons are not old, we are seasoned.

izzyscout21
02-16-2012, 08:52 PM
I grew up with GI Joe and Ninja Turtles. I miss those days.

bacpacker
02-16-2012, 09:08 PM
Katrina you are hitting on some of my old favorites. I loved Quick Draw, Yogi Bear, Tom and Jerry, Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd, and all those. Then there was Popeye!

Katrina
02-16-2012, 09:31 PM
Loved Popeye and for those of you in the Detroit area in the fifties, Capt Toby was my cousin and Poop deck Paul was his side kick. Don't know if I should tell a secret about Capt Toby. But what the hey, Capt Toby couldn't stand little kids. When ever there was a family gathering us little kids had to stay away from him because my grandmother said he didn't like little kids AND when I said hello to him at my great grandpa funeral, he told me to get away from him, made me cry cause he was mean about it. That's when my dad, his cousin, had a few choice words for him about common courtesy to the family members under the age of 15. ESPECIALLY at a funeral parlor. Don't remember much just that I guess that was the last straw for the older generation ( ie,his mother) because I got an apology later at the luncheon from him.

piranha2
02-16-2012, 09:32 PM
I miss the Mickey Mouse Club.

Mostly Annette. holy cow!

Twitchy
02-16-2012, 10:04 PM
Katrina you are hitting on some of my old favorites. I loved Quick Draw, Yogi Bear, Tom and Jerry, Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd, and all those. Then there was Popeye!

Who doesnt like the good old cartoons!!!!!! Frankly, the new stuff they have today is garbage... not worth watching...

ladyhk13
02-19-2012, 03:32 AM
I grew up with GI Joe and Ninja Turtles. I miss those days.

Just a baby....my kids grew up with those!!!! LOL!

ladyhk13
02-19-2012, 03:35 AM
Loved Popeye and for those of you in the Detroit area in the fifties, Capt Toby was my cousin and Poop deck Paul was his side kick. Don't know if I should tell a secret about Capt Toby. But what the hey, Capt Toby couldn't stand little kids. When ever there was a family gathering us little kids had to stay away from him because my grandmother said he didn't like little kids AND when I said hello to him at my great grandpa funeral, he told me to get away from him, made me cry cause he was mean about it. That's when my dad, his cousin, had a few choice words for him about common courtesy to the family members under the age of 15. ESPECIALLY at a funeral parlor. Don't remember much just that I guess that was the last straw for the older generation ( ie,his mother) because I got an apology later at the luncheon from him.

Yeah but I bet you were OVER 15 when you got that apology!

ladyhk13
02-19-2012, 03:36 AM
I miss the Mickey Mouse Club.

Mostly Annette. holy cow!

My sister was named after her...my mom won't admit to it but my dad had a crush on her and he was the one who picked out the name.

ladyhk13
02-19-2012, 03:47 AM
Ok, let's not forget Lost In Space! I was already older but loved that show! Mickey Mouse and Under Dog were great and don't forget Rockie and Bullwinkle! American Bandstand rocked!!!!!! Had to dance OMG!!! Cartoons are such a great part of childhood and it is so cool that you are sharing that with your child Stig (and Izzy....and everyone else here who still has little ones). My only hope now is for grandbabies. My son keeps telling me not to hold my breath. Well, he is only 21 and just getting ready to graduate college. I raised him with the rules: first you graduate college, then you start your career and get settled financially, then you find a serious relationship, then you get married, then you have children. I guess he's listening. Plus he says all kids do is scream and crap in their diapers. I hope once he finds the right girl his views will change.

Evolver
02-19-2012, 04:12 AM
Looney Tunes hands down for me... :)
Marvin the Martian:
At last, after two thousand years of research, the illudium Q-36 explosive space modulator. At last... :)

ladyhk13
02-19-2012, 04:15 AM
Looney Tunes hands down for me... :)
Marvin the Martian: :)

I was going to put Marvin in there but I couldn't remember his name! All I could see in my head was that stupid green mohawk helmet of his!

Evolver
02-19-2012, 04:40 AM
Yeah Marvin is was my favorite and still is :o I remember how exited I would get when waiting for the Saturday/Sunday morning cartoons of Bugs Bunny when it was a Marvin episode and how disappointed I was when it wasn't... It was always the luck of the draw. LOL

Evolver
02-19-2012, 04:45 AM
How about this classic? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH4gumw8AsQ

bacpacker
02-19-2012, 04:17 PM
Wow some good old shows mentioned so far. I just thought of some more I hadn't saw yet. The Jetsons, Casper the friendly ghost, Flintstones, George of the Jungle, Top Cat, Heckle and Jeckle, & Mr. Magoo.
There are so many good ones out there, it's just a shame that the cartoon network don't show all of them.

Evolver
02-19-2012, 04:40 PM
Wow some good old shows mentioned so far. I just thought of some more I hadn't saw yet. The Jetsons, Casper the friendly ghost, Flintstones, George of the Jungle, Top Cat, Heckle and Jeckle, & Mr. Magoo.
There are so many good ones out there, it's just a shame that the cartoon network don't show all of them.

Thumbs up on the Jetsons and Flintstones. Good stuff! oh just had a flash back... How about Johnny Quest and Speed Racer?

Taz Baby
02-19-2012, 06:38 PM
how many remember H.R.Puffinstuff or Puff The Magic Dragon. I sing that song still to the grandkids. And Alf. Got a video of him for xmas from my kids. But I am obsessed with TAZ. Watched all the cartoons and was high P.Oed when they took him off the air.

izzyscout21
02-19-2012, 08:24 PM
I know "Puff", but I'm pretty sure my puff is much more violent and terrifying than yours.

Gunfixr
02-19-2012, 10:12 PM
I know "Puff", but I'm pretty sure my puff is much more violent and terrifying than yours.

Lol, no, not that "puff". That one wasn't on tv, I don't think. I got some pics of it in action though.

Reading this thread brings back a lot of memories. I remember most of the mentioned ones, but some are before my time, and some are after.
Cartoons were on Sat morning, from about 6am until noon, Sunday morning for about 2hrs around 7am, and afternoons from about 3pm until 5pm, but only on one channel (one of the 6 we had).
Cartoon Network when my kids were watching it made me want to throw up most of the time. I used to tel my wife if I had to watch much of that I'd think seriously about putting a gun in my mouth. She agreed.

bacpacker
02-19-2012, 11:13 PM
I loved Johnny Quest. I forgot all about that. Thinking back that was sort of along the lines of Indiana Jones, sorta.

Here is another one, Alvin and the chipmunks (the original)

izzyscout21
02-20-2012, 03:44 AM
How about He-Man???

Katrina
02-20-2012, 05:28 AM
Nope lady I was about 6 years old when that happened, his mother made him apologize that day to me. She was the one found me crying in the corner. Never saw him again but I wouldn't watch the Popeye show for the longest time after that. He got fired shortly after that and I started to watch it again because Poop Deck Paul took over show.