PDA

View Full Version : Doomsday Prepper's - Premiere tonight

Stg1swret
02-07-2012, 11:42 PM
Nat Geo's "DOOMSDAY PREPPER'S" to premeir tonight at 9PM EST with back to back episodes.

bacpacker
02-07-2012, 11:45 PM
Got the DVR set to go. See if there is anything to learn. I'm expecting a bunch of BS and probably learn some stuff not to do.

Stg1swret
02-07-2012, 11:49 PM
Opsec would be at the top of the list .

The Stig
02-07-2012, 11:50 PM
I figured out part of what bugs me about that show....that woman on the commercial that comes across entirely too excited about the prospect of an EOTWAWKI scenario. To me that only perpetuates the whole idea that a catastrophic meltdown is going to be fantasy land where we go around living out our GI dreams.

Further, it's a sign of arrogance. "I'm going to survive because I prepared and you aren't! nah nah nah nah". I hate that attitude. The reality is that in a full blown meltdown many of us could die, and people who didn't prepare a bit could rise to the occasion.

Hopefully that's just how she was portrayed in the commercials.

bacpacker
02-07-2012, 11:51 PM
Well they gave that up to be on the show.

Stg1swret
02-08-2012, 12:00 AM
And then some, but hey they get their 15 minutes of fame. (roflmao)

realist
02-08-2012, 06:06 AM
DISH NETWORK YOU SUCK……………I just lost my (*)^)(*&()*^^$&^#%$@$%@ signal. So hopefully I will get it back during the next hour, not looking good. Did you know that DISH SUCKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Okay three deep cleansing breaths………… Better…… No……….

I’m going to armchair quarterback these people.
So my critic of the first couple, you have a couple who stores 50,000 pounds of food that will support 22 people for 15 years. Looking at what they have is really impressive. The amount that they are storing is incredible, but is it realistic? They have got to have a ton of money into all this stuff. If it were me I would not focus on the foods so much, they cook eight meals a day. I would modernize my weaponry, vehicles and fortifications. They talked about bugging out but to where. I do like the method that they travel. I would like to have a larger group than they appear to have. They showed only a couple of other people. If they do have 22 people total, how many are kids? I would hope they would not totally forthcoming with all their information. No doubt about it they do have an impressive amount of food. Their power sources are also impressive.

The second guy is a loner and that I am not for. Granted if you are by yourself and have to bug out then I would say this guy has it together. However to stay in the city I think that is a poor choice. I wish I had the knowledge of plants that he has.

The third was the female that I did not get to see because of DISH.

The second hour started out with the fat guy. He just looks like a heart attack waiting to happen. Some of the videos that he has made make him look like a buffoon. I do not think that he is realistic.

The cook lady – She has about $100K in food which should tide them over for a few years. Can you really oil your eggs and keep them for 12 months??? Also how about putting wax on cheese, how long will it last does anyone know? Their method for clearing their house was actually pretty good; they kept in touch literally when moving. As for the Morse code when searching the house, it gives away their location. I would think that they should consider sign language instead if they want anything. I do like the idea that they are training people in their community. From food to firearms as well as self defense is a great idea. This will allow them to evaluate the different people in the community that they might be able to depend upon in the future. I do like the comment that they made at the end of their segment that they do not reveal all their cards.

Doris Day of Doom – They grow a great amount of food which I imagine if we all did that in the volume they do then there would not be any hunger. They have a very impressive garden. I do like the idea of raising bees for honey. Building their skill levels is great. I like the treadle sewing machine. These people are also into getting neighbors together to prep by teaching. No guns and ammunition, they have thought about marauding bands and want to charm them???????? That is FUBAR and I see them as being victims in the future. Or they would make really good slaves that someone would use to produce food.

The Welder guy – I liked that he was passing on his skills to his kids which is what we all should do. I missed how big his ranch was but it looks nice. He talked about upgrading his coms and security. They said that he assigned one of his kids to take care of security. I see this as being a problem. Everyone should be involved in security. They have a very large family and work with others to “check on their prepping” and that is good. I guess looking at these people I see them as getting it together and would like to see them succeed better.

Okay this is just a quick thumbnail. The interesting thing at the end of each segment they put out the odds of this event happening. Well that is the odds……….. I try to keep the odds in my favor so we will see what happens. When it only happens to 1 in a 100 that doesn’t sound bad unless you are that one……….

LUNCHBOX
02-08-2012, 10:08 AM
This really sucks, I spend 1.2 million a month on D.....TV and I don't even get Nat Geo as an option. I'll have to wait for the online show.

The Stig
02-08-2012, 11:25 AM
So my critic of the first couple, you have a couple who stores 50,000 pounds of food that will support 22 people for 15 years.......They talked about bugging out but to where.

It would seem these two ideas are somewhat incongruous with each other.

Doris Day of Doom – They grow a great amount of food which I imagine if we all did that in the volume they do then there would not be any hunger. They have a very impressive garden.....No guns and ammunition, they have thought about marauding bands and want to charm them????????

Insert facepalm picture here

Stg1swret
02-08-2012, 02:51 PM
Doris Day of Doom is just that doomed.the "we don't need guns we have the community", showed a bit of the lala land she exists in. The gal from Texas, that lived in the apartment looked like her bubble was burst about her prepping and bugging out plan. Glad she joined the service, it will help her. The fat guy looked to be a joke from his segment. The LA loner might make it for a bit, but foraging is not a way to survive. The Utah cook lady had a plan they was viable and looks to be building a network, but a few things were over the top. The guy with the CONEX box house, had lots of food, but those boxes aren't going to defeat large caliber weapons , sure a .22 won't go whizzing straight through them. His bug out plan was a bit unrealistic. The welder guy had a decent plan, with all the skills, but they really need to cross train.

The glimpse was interesting, but I don't know about the so called experts. The part about the odds of an event happening seemed to be thrown in to show these people were wasting their time.

izzyscout21
02-08-2012, 02:52 PM
dont worry guys...........it's all good. hopefully once we all survive the 2012 Mayan Zombie Apocalypse that was caused by the coronal mass ejection that threw the planet Nibiru into our path, we'll be able to buy all thier crap pretty cheap.....

The Stig
02-08-2012, 02:58 PM
The part about the odds of an event happening seemed to be thrown in to show these people were wasting their time.

And this is a big part of why we believe that SHTF events are not just the big, spectacular, catastrophic, EOTWAWKI type situations. When you start to look at the odds of a massive asteroid bouncing off Mars and showering the aliens with pixie dust it's hard to justify the time and expense of prepping. Further, it's hard to encourage others to prep for these massive, and consequently far less likely, events.

Asking someone what they'd do if the power went off for a week after a bad storm is far more likely to resonate with them.

At the risk of sounding sanctimonious, when you focus on making prepping for everything a true lifestyle, and prepare for events big and small, you are far more well rounded. It's easier to justify the expenditure of resources, easier to convince others to join in and (most importantly) makes you far more likely to survive a diverse array of events.

izzyscout21
02-08-2012, 03:03 PM
^^^ +1000

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc258/violent-j-11/Batman/joker-clap.gif

The Stig
02-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Since I'm on a roll, and while I wait for my expense reports to scan, some of the descriptions of those on the show also touch on balance.

Having 50,000lbs of food is great. Having 1,000lbs of food, 100 gallons of water, a good selection of medicines, some commo, and a power source is far better.

ANEURYSM
02-08-2012, 06:35 PM
Did any one happen to notice they were preping for polar shifs and possable earth quakes but the food storage areas just looked to be platforms with glass caning jars with what apeared to me, not to have any earthquake measures in place. Ie meaning secured in any way. A big shaker hits and they will have a 50,ooo lb mess on there hands.

realist
02-08-2012, 09:17 PM
Okay I have calmed down now and have been thinking about this program. Some of these people have some good information for anyone to use. I do like some of their ideas. I just see that the National Geographic tried to find the most extreme people that they could find. I will bet you that they never take into the account of an TEOTWAWKI could just be someone loosing their job, which then has them loosing their home and living out of their car. They need to understand that doomsday to one person is not the same to another. They just look at everything coming to a halt for the entire population. But then again that will not sell advertising space. I do look forward to stealing whatever ideas that I can from the program. I just hope it does not end up like a gong show (I know I'm dating myself).

The Stig
02-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Did any one happen to notice they were preping for polar shifs and possable earth quakes but the food storage areas just looked to be platforms with glass caning jars with what apeared to me, not to have any earthquake measures in place. Ie meaning secured in any way. A big shaker hits and they will have a 50,ooo lb mess on there hands.

In other words.....

http://img.izismile.com/img/img2/20091005/epic_fails_2_08.jpg

ETA: Good call aneurysm to spot that little "flaw" in their planning.

realist
02-08-2012, 09:53 PM
You mean they can't????? I guess I have to take my snowshoes back.........

Stg1swret
02-08-2012, 10:21 PM
there were a lot of ideas gone wrong in the show, the glass canning jars unsecured, walking to bug out vehicle and not having a secondary route, trying to go it alone in an urban area, etc. Look they are making a TV show and picked people planning for the most outrageous of events, that were willing to go on camera for their little bit of fame.
You know what cities they are located in, and if they didn't give fake names you now know who they are. Wouldn't take much to get an address. Epic fail.

realist
02-08-2012, 10:31 PM
You are right and for that reason most people would not dream of going on a show like this. I have no interesting in anyone knowing what I stock or my plans. My wife watched part of it with me and just laughed then went into the other room. Okay so close your eyes and think of the stereotypical prepper that others thinks about and you will see them on this program. It works against us all.

Grumpy Old Man
02-08-2012, 11:25 PM
I guess I'm just lame when it comes to watching these types of shows, because for me they are more of a way to satirize and marginalize the preparedness community. So I watched Justified instead...... and my Direct TV signal performed flawlessly!

bacpacker
02-09-2012, 01:55 AM
I guess the folks they showed were somewhat althought not entirely like I expected. Some of the folks were out there to one degree or another. All of them had holes in their preps, like most of us probably do. I agree with some of the previous comments to, Nat Geo is showing senario's that are at the extreme ends of SHTF. OTOH if you are prepared for something like a major financial collapse, earthquake, or EMP, most likely you are very well prepared for the more minor events such as chem spills or something. Sure a chem spill is bad if it's in your area, it will be a very localized event.
I thought I would do a small critique of each of the 7 groups shown.

#1 The containers are good for a lot of things, stopping a armed attack with hi powered weapons not so much. Although having 1000 yard field of fire would help a lot. 50K in food would last a long time, bugging out their plans called for taking 10k of that with them. They were able to make thier own power and raise their own food. That's 2 biggies there.
Down side: no comms shown, if it was shown I missed it but I saw no water storage to speak of. Overall I would give them a 65-80% rating

#2 Chris Nyrges is a long time prepper. He used to write a monthly article for American Survival Guide. If your familiar with Cody Lundin of dual survival, Chris is sort of along those lines. He is pretty good and has tons of knowledge. To me his big failure is where he lives. He is worried about equakes, leave LA NOW. Not much was shown about his preps so really not much way to score that.

#3 The younger girl has tons of desire and was trying to get skills and supplies. But trying to do that by herself won't work. trying to stay in a big city is nuts IMO, it just makes things so much harder. Going into the Mil is probably a good move for her.

#4 The fat guy had a good plan for the most part, but again flying solo. And he was in such bad shape, he most likely wouldn't make it more than a month or less under severe conditions. His preps though were good. really good comms set up, could produce some of his food, and had fairly good stocks of goods.

#5 This couple must have been wealthy, they had a lot of money tied up. There food storage and ways of going about it was top motch, just expensive. Training was as good as any shown for self defence. They were detirmined to include their community for future senarios. Smart move there. I didn't catch a bug out plan or any comms plan. For that matter a method of defending the area other than their house.

#6 This couple was the top notch group at producing what they need, including barter items. They are working on building a community, I give them a plus for that. On the down side they have no way to secure anything. SHTF they either die or become someone slaves real quick. Also no comms or bug out plan shown.

#7 This family had a lot of bases covered and those bases would cover a lot of different senarios. Their biggest fails were no comms, and what appeared to be no cross training, espically with security. No bug out plan either.

One thing I did like about these shows, although the senarios discussed were BIG ones. Each of the groups were able to discuss the reasons they were doing what they were and why. If this had came from a little different standpoint, I think this could be a really eye opening show for a lot of folks. It really isn't as bad as I was expecting overall and I have picked up a couple of things. Saw many more what not to do's.

Kodiak
02-10-2012, 04:08 AM
Watched the show and found it entertaining for the most part. A few of the characters really irked me but we all have our flaws. The only negative aspect that i do not like is how main stream media likes to portray preppers as backwards antisocial rejects. It would be nice if they would show normal people like most of us and not just the extreme end of spectrum.

work in progress
02-15-2012, 02:02 PM
I wonder who and how they vetted the people they picked for the show too. It seemed like the people in the first episode were a bit more viable than most of the people who were on the second one. I'm sure anything the media has a hand in will be slanted or biased to make sure the sheeple don't get too scared or have an awakening.

I just wanted to see more footage of the fat guy wearing his blue sporty outfit running those tactical drills out in his yard. Ya gotta love it. And the stinky hippie who wants to poison people or cut their throats in their sleep is going to be tossed around like a doll by the first marauding band who has a taste for cider or honey. I'm just saying - I guess I have to give them credit for sticking with their - um - guns - on the whole no weapon thing, but not to even believe in a hidden safe spot or panic room to protect themselves is nuts.

Looking forward to more episodes.

ANEURYSM
02-15-2012, 03:11 PM
Tuesday 9pm est, Last night left me shaking my head at all the mistakes.

the one guy shoots his thumb off on camera. I saw a dozen other mistakes he made out in the desert range.

The last guy did everything but give you his adress. Couldent believe it.
And why expensive booze for molitov cocktails, why not gas?

ANEURYSM
02-15-2012, 03:27 PM
Found this. Its the chubby guy from the first show.

ยป Prepper Declared “Mentally Defective,” Put On FBI List Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind! (http://www.infowars.com/prepper-declared-mentally-defective-put-on-fbi-list/)

Katrina
02-15-2012, 06:32 PM
Realist, the couples other friends did Not want to indentified. They also have two camps , one was a half way camp shown on the tv where they "circled"the vehicles but said they had a secret BOL further away but did not go there for show. The third one was a party girl in Houston and she was prepping with boyfriend (unidentified) they were going to hike it out of city to a secret place. As for cook lady, she has her own website. her name is Kellene. If I followed the segment correctly , she has a large MAG and she is teaching others how to store food in her comunity. I think one of the ladies here is going to oil eggs and let us know how they hold up. One thing I think was overlooked , she was a fairly successful realtor and did very well in the boom. Now don't take offense but it is only her and hubby, no children, so it seems that they would be able to have enough $ to do their preps.

piranha2
02-15-2012, 10:25 PM
Thinking I wish I had Tv.....maybe not.

bacpacker
02-16-2012, 12:21 AM
I've watched 4 of the shows so far. Most all the folks have holes in their plans I have seen. Probably the one group I related to most was the group in South Carolina. They lived out in the country on their BOL, farmed the land, had a good deal of wood fired stuff including a old truck. They had a good plan for defending the area, plenty of water, & what seemed to be a good working relationship with at least one, maybe two other families working on all the systems in place.
The guy throwing the liquor bottles was set up pretty good, but was going about things pretty mixed up to me.
Another group I liked was the guy that had put together a totally underground shelter. That was very nice and he had multiple routes to get there from his home. The biggest thing he was lacking was water. I would have had a well put in that place before building the shelter.

On a different note I got in a discussion about this topic on a tool forum(I know, imagine that me on a tool forum) today. That forum is a pretty heavily used site. Last time I checked it there was already around 40 hits. Other than me and maybe 5-6 other guys most everyone else thought this show was completely without merit regardless of reason. I was able to point out several issues that were unrefutable. Hopefully it will get some folks to thinking. I do plan on PMing some of the guys that showed some interest a link to this site. Hopefully that will show some fruit one day.