PDA

View Full Version : Balance in prepping

The Stig
02-08-2012, 04:22 PM
A comment I made in a different thread spurred me to think it might be worth a separate conversation.

I have a lot of thoughts on how the concept of balance fits into prepping but instead of hogging all the glory with a long dissertation I'd like to open it up for discussion.

Go....

Sniper-T
02-08-2012, 04:31 PM
I can hold a #10 can in each hand, out from my sides and dont fall over!

I is balanced!

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/liertosasuke/FullMetal%20Alchemist/thed_balance.jpg

GunnerMax
02-08-2012, 04:55 PM
i see where you are coming from stig. Like for example: I have been becoming a gear whore, because that is what makes sense without me at home rotating foodstores (eating). I have been reading up on gardening, but not buying gardening tools. things like this.

I am getting the physical items ready to be able to fight and get from point A to point B, which includes getting a diesel truck within the next 6 months
First aid kit compilation is in progress, as well as a helmet maybe.

Grumpy Old Man
02-08-2012, 05:07 PM
Acquire a little extra each week. Don't go overboard on gear in the beginning (sorry Lunchbox,lol). Put together a purchase plan and stick to it-it can always be revised based on new situations. Take off the tinfoil hat!! Meet the basics first- e.g. tent, sleeping bag, water filter, cook kit, firesteel and tomahawk for camping. Remember a Kifaru may be nice to have but an ALICE can serve just as well at 1/10th the price.

Exploit the BOGO deals at the grocery store, particularly on items you prefer. Get a canner-it doesn't have to be a big All American, Presto and Mirro will work as well, they just aren't as pricey. Buy a small grain mill first (Back-to-Basics) to try out before you commit to a Country Living or Diamonte. Visit LDS canneries to pick up #10 cans of staples. Learn to make things from scratch.

Okay, I'll rest for awhile.

Oh one more thing

Canning Pressure Cooker - Pressure Canners for Sale - Pressure Canners (http://www.pressurecannersupply.com/)

Boy Scouts Handbook by Boy Scouts of America - Free eBook (http://www.manybooks.net/titles/boyscoutsofamerica2955829558.html)

Stg1swret
02-08-2012, 05:22 PM
I feel it isn't just a matter of balance , but also priorities. One should start out slowly at the same time. We'd all like to have enough to survive for at least a year or more , but that doesn't happen over night. Target 2weeks to 30 days when starting out, this includes not just food and water, but meds, and the ability to protect ones self and loved ones. Draw out a plan for supply purchases , and also survival plans, this includes bugging in or out. Make at least 2 additional contingency plans so that you don't rely on just one way of doing things. Learn new skills.

Above all don't go into debt to prep.

bacpacker
02-08-2012, 05:28 PM
I tend to go along with Grumpy and Stg. Start out by figuring what you need then set up a plan to get those items. Be selective in your purchases, some things you can spend less and do just about as good. Others you may want to go for the quality you know you want/need the 1st time.

Balance purchases of gear, food, etc with skills gardening, comms, repairs, building. In the end you will cover most all of what you need according to the plan you set.

LUNCHBOX
02-08-2012, 05:43 PM
Acquire a little extra each week. Don't go overboard on gear in the beginning (sorry Lunchbox,lol). Put together a purchase plan and stick to it-it can always be revised based on new situations. Take off the tinfoil hat!! Meet the basics first- e.g. tent, sleeping bag, water filter, cook kit, firesteel and tomahawk for camping. Remember a Kifaru may be nice to have but an ALICE can serve just as well at 1/10th the price.

Exploit the BOGO deals at the grocery store, particularly on items you prefer. Get a canner-it doesn't have to be a big All American, Presto and Mirro will work as well, they just aren't as pricey. Buy a small grain mill first (Back-to-Basics) to try out before you commit to a Country Living or Diamonte. Visit LDS canneries to pick up #10 cans of staples. Learn to make things from scratch.

Okay, I'll rest for awhile.

Oh one more thing

Canning Pressure Cooker - Pressure Canners for Sale - Pressure Canners (http://www.pressurecannersupply.com/)

Boy Scouts Handbook by Boy Scouts of America - Free eBook (http://www.manybooks.net/titles/boyscoutsofamerica2955829558.html)

Thanks Grumpy, talking about overboard made me feel I don't have enough water related gear....lol. I do have some gear and always pick up more but I sell 95% of it to others in need. I do keep a good balance of food/water/equipment. In a sense, I don't know if you can have to much but I'm sure you can have to little. Balance is key....you don't need 10 axes in the desert.

TroubleShooter
02-08-2012, 06:16 PM
While I agree with balance in prepping and each persons plan or requirements is different..........Depending on whether you are expierenced or new to prepping, if new to prepping or have not secured 72 hrs kits for each member of your family and weapon for self-defense and/or aquiring game.....Then you should devote 125% of your resources to that direction.........

Taz Baby
02-08-2012, 07:48 PM
I think that each person in the family should make a list of their own. What they need and what they want in each area. Food,meds,water,clothes(winter and summer) things like that. Then all sit down, discuss it and then make a for the family list. That way you balance the weight of thinking and it is not just on one person. It can be very overwhelming and mind boggling.

realist
02-08-2012, 10:13 PM
Lunchbox don't feel bad I took off my tin foil hat and forgot I put it on the chair. I sat on it now all I have is a Frisbee.

Ok so what are your plans for the future, short or long. If you think that an EMP will hit tomorrow you are behind the power curve. If you think that there will be an earthquake sometime you hopefully have some time. Read, learn and plan only then can you put together a coherent plan. Set realistic goals that you can obtain. Look at the basics food, water and shelter. Add some goodies......guns and ammo.....then you have a good start. Once you get the basics then you can start branching out within reason of your finances...

Grumpy Old Man
02-08-2012, 11:38 PM
In a another thread I mentioned that for me, and probably Realist, the most likely SHTF event is an earthquake so that is primarily what I prep for. I also make plans for unemployment and disability, as I am no longer a spring chicken. When I lived in the Rockies it was for blizzards, in Arizona for prolonged hot spells and in the midwest for tornados. I think that looking at what is more likely to occur and prepping for it, then working your way down the list to EMP, CME, Nuclear war and Zombie viruses is a better plan. Terror attacks should be higher up on the list, but how to prep for one is problematical. If you are prepared for the more likely events you will be able to adapt to the less likely senarios.

ladyhk13
02-09-2012, 06:51 AM
I thought that we were really pretty well set for our preps until we found that piece of land. Now I feel like our world has been turned upside down. Everything has changed. I try to get dh to sit down with me to work out a plan for the new place but all I can get out of him right now is to go over there and work on fencing and pastures. I can't get an idea of if he wants to sell this house (I am getting nervous about the future now) or continue with our plan when we started looking for land 2 years ago and stay here while we build over there. Things have changed since the start of the search. I feel like I need a plan so I can plan what to do next. I think he may be overwhelmed knowing we are going to work this 241 acres all alone and feels like he needs to just get over and look at the whole place for a while which I agree with as far as starting actual work but I think my balance is off now and I don't know exactly where to focus my preps anymore.

bacpacker
02-09-2012, 11:44 AM
With the job ahead of you all your probably both overwhelmed. As long as you still have your current location, i would get too worked up over not having the new one done yet. It will take time and a lot of work, but you will get there.
Big thing is, to me, not to rush through the design phase of everything and miss something or not do it like it needs to be. We did that when we built our house and while we like it ok, if we had taken a little more time and planned better igt would suit us better now.
Good luck with the project. Just remember to try and enjoy it as you go.

Onestep
02-09-2012, 12:29 PM
Like Grumpy stated, prep for what particular "disaster" that will likely hit your area first.
Being in FL, ours is hurricanes but having lived here all our lives, we have that down to a science.
A lot of what you need for hurricanes can and will be used in other potential forms of disasters so you've bridged the gap so to speak in other areas.
When we first started with prepping, other than the normal hurricane season stuff, it was indeed overwhelming. We started with LTS foods, moved to the other suttle items and eventually to full blown vegetable gardening as out plan is to stay put.
Above all, do not go into debt to get the items you feel you need, just work them into the budget every wee/month and you will find that you will get closer in a very short period.

Grumpy Old Man
02-09-2012, 04:45 PM
I thought that we were really pretty well set for our preps until we found that piece of land. Now I feel like our world has been turned upside down. Everything has changed. I try to get dh to sit down with me to work out a plan for the new place but all I can get out of him right now is to go over there and work on fencing and pastures. I can't get an idea of if he wants to sell this house (I am getting nervous about the future now) or continue with our plan when we started looking for land 2 years ago and stay here while we build over there. Things have changed since the start of the search. I feel like I need a plan so I can plan what to do next. I think he may be overwhelmed knowing we are going to work this 241 acres all alone and feels like he needs to just get over and look at the whole place for a while which I agree with as far as starting actual work but I think my balance is off now and I don't know exactly where to focus my preps anymore.

Lady, first take a deep breath! Good wasn't it? Now take another, and relax. I've built 2 40 acre parcels from scratch for 2 different ex-wives. They each lost them after I was kicked to the curb, but some valuable lessons were learned along the way.

1) Plan your development! Fences may or may not be the most urgent thing to fix depending on your development plan.

2) Don't try to multi task too much, it can throw a monkey wrench in the works quickly. (Don't ask how much that error cost me)

3) Things change as the development proceeds. Reevaluate periodically to see what has moved up or down the priority list.

You have scored big in your preps getting this prime piece of real estate, so you now can plan to utilize it to its full potential. But, with the size of the property it's going to take a while to get it into the shape you want. So, try to be patient when things aren't going as fast as you would like; it's difficult but it can be done.(Also learned this the hard way). And share your victories and defeats in this prepping project with us. I can't speak for anyone else, but I've learned far more from my defeats than from my triumphs.

Also, look for good things coming in the mail; you never know what will show up.

apssbc
02-09-2012, 06:21 PM
As most have said start slow and get ready for the most likely scenarios. I started doing this a few years ago. When I first started I bought cheap surplus gear and had hand me down weapons. Then I slowly built my way up I have bough and sold alot of crap over time and am finally settling on what truly works in the field. I started with a buying plan (which has been already mentioned) and prioritize those items. I have a wish list and supply check list for my years goals. I set up a check list when I
know I have extra money coming (tax refund).

For example for this refund I had a list of about 30 items. Over about a month of prioritizing and thinking on it I cut that back to ten items. This year I am finally up grading my converted garand shes getting a scout mount, optics, mags, and a break. The point is Ive waited almost 6 years to do this to the gun because there were other more pressing matters such as food, water, and shelter.

Another thing to remember about balance is while owning all this stuff is great. It does you no good if you are not proficient with it. Spend time training, skills are more important than supplies.

mitunnelrat
02-10-2012, 03:44 AM
Something I haven't seen mentioned yet, is if people are balancing the pleasures of life against prepping. I don't think that's as much of an issue here as it is in many other places, but you can tell when somebody is uber focused on the s. They start getting wiggy and are "sure" things are going to fall apart in the next ten minutes. I've (in the past) suggested more than once to different people that they needed to step back and decompress. I know it works because I had to do it for myself.

Do some things just for the hell of it, no cares for tomorrow, no concerns of what may come. What's the point of prepping for tomorrow if you have no clear understanding or appreciation for what you have today?

The Stig
02-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Do some things just for the hell of it, no cares for tomorrow, no concerns of what may come. What's the point of prepping for tomorrow if you have no clear understanding or appreciation for what you have today?

Excellent point.

Losing sight of the importance of today because of an over fixation on tomorrow isn't healthy.

izzyscout21
02-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Excellent point.

Losing sight of the importance of today because of an over fixation on tomorrow isn't healthy.

There is a diffeerence between paranoid and prepared. ^^ This is one of the differences.

mongoose
02-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Have each family/household in your group/MAG be responsible for a different category of supply/equipment beyond your normal stored needs.
-or-
Meet and divide up needed additional items for procurement.

If you don't have a group make your list from most to least needed, prioritize.

apssbc
02-10-2012, 07:23 PM
Damn good post MTR. That's written the best I've ever seen. You described the difference perfectly. We all need our slack times in prepping. You cannot let it eat you up. I boat all summer and it helps me decompress

bacpacker
02-10-2012, 11:22 PM
Totally agree MTR. We try to go to the woods hiking or just go camping as much as we can. That's about stopped these past few months since the change in our household. But even now we try to take a road trip or something just for a change of pace.
IMO this is one of the most important things someone can do whether they are a prepper or not. Life is not an easy thing and you need to unwind some way.