PDA

View Full Version : Flying with GHB or small Emergency kit ??

rentprop1
02-09-2012, 04:42 PM
have to take a trip next week for work, I will be flying up north from FL and staying at a facility for my work, while attending a training class, it is a secure facility that doesn't allow weapons of any kind on the premisses. So fly in, bus takes us to facility, we eat sleep and train all in this one place, bus takes us back to the airport.

I'm wondering what equipment I might get away with as a GHB or Emergency kit to CARRY ON the aircraft with me and have at this facility ??

I'm already planning to have a multi-tool in my checked luggage luggage, but I wouldn't mind having some other gear with me.

What items do you think TSA might have an issue with ??

example my flashlight is a E2D defender with the strike bezel, I don't want to loose it at the x-ray machines, I still can swap it out for a regular surefire or something

what other gear would you think of taking and are sure it wall pass TSA ???

thanks

izzyscout21
02-09-2012, 04:58 PM
I dont travel for business. I would think that a lot of the normal stuff one would have in a GHB wouldn't pass muster through security unless it's in the checked bags. Matches and lighters are out. I think they would probably have an issue with any type of fishing hooks or stuff like that. I would definitely go ahead and swap out for another surefire sans the strike bezel. It would be a shame to lose a nice one due to the strike bezel.

Other than your normal clothes and daily wear, I'm at a loss as to what you would be able to get through.

rentprop1
02-09-2012, 07:09 PM
I remember back on 06 getting a hassle about flying with a flashlight, the TSA goon asked why do I need a flashlight, my answer was " to see in the dark " , finally after he kept telling me I couldn't fly with it a Stupervisor came over and I said " it will be dark when I get to my final destination tonight, I will need to see to get in my home " and he let me fly with it.

I hear you on the matches, lighter, but how to people that smoke fly with a lighter or matches ?? or do they just bum a light at the next airport ??

except for a small FAK and a small section of paracord, I can't believe I can't think of anything else to take ??

piranha2
02-09-2012, 10:01 PM
I know for a fact that you can fly with a Bic lighter or equivalent. You cannot fly with a zippo. Never tried to fly with a flashlight.

izzyscout21
02-09-2012, 10:41 PM
I trid to fly with 300 rounds of 5.56, a claymore, and 6 frags once. The Air Force guys shit a brick.

piranha2
02-09-2012, 11:12 PM
Wonder what TSA would have thought?

The Stig
02-09-2012, 11:33 PM
Would definitely recommend getting rid of the strike bezel on the flashlight. From there its a crapshoot. I don't *think* you'd have a problem but you never know what TSA person is going to get antsy. I always put mine in checked so I have the strike bezel on the other end.

That said I have a friend who flies with one of those solid steel "pens" that looks like a fancy writing pen but is actually for defense and never gets questioned.

Ultimately, you're going to have to get very creative if you want to carry it on. I'd make the kit as non obtrusive as possible and you might consider spreading the contents out through-out your carry-on instead of having it assembled as a separate pouch. You might also think of trying to be a tad sneaky. For example, instead of a big-ass lensatic compass get one of the small ones you can hook to your jacket zipper. If you use hand-sanitizer, take handi-wipes instead (I *think* they frown on hand sanitizer goo). Instead of a wad of para cord make some of those fancy zipper pulls using them.

Sadly, you aren't going to be able to carry on anything that would really be helpful in an emergency in normal terms. I'd recommend carrying on items designed for an "airplane related SHTF". That is, if the flight diverts and you're stuck in podunk, or the plane is disabled and you're stuck onboard for 8 hours, you'll want to have items to help pass the time, deal with discomfort, change of clothes, personal medications, etc.

Any real SHTF items like compass, space blanket, knives, mini-saws, water filters, flint/steel, etc are best just placed in your checked-in baggage IMO.

What specific items are you thinking of taking?

You can forget compressed or liquid fuels in either checked/carry on.

Just some random thoughts....I've got a cold or something so this is probably scatter brained.

ak474u
02-10-2012, 12:43 AM
Never had an issue flying with a light, but I don't have a strike bezel... I've flown with pepper spray in checked baggage, there is a limit on the size, and mine is super small. I have a customer that makes paracord Monkey Fists, but doesn't use a steel bearing, he uses a borosilicate glass ball (Pyrex is a slightly lighter Borosilicate glass) It is still dense and heavy, but metal detector proof. He has it attached to his MOLLE iPad case, and hasn't ever had a single question about it. Knife in checked bag, as part of a multitool maybe, or swiss army knife? Nalgene water bottle (empty) can hold extra stuff like paracord, or whatever.

izzyscout21
02-10-2012, 04:38 AM
Good call Stig. I forgot about the self defense pens.

HES
02-17-2012, 08:02 PM
I fly for a living. I check the Leatherman and carry the flash light (surefire) and pen on my person. If I am flying to a friendly state I check my pistol, ammo, and mags. I also pack a small backpack. Then when I land I put it all together, buy some water bottles and energy bars at Wallyworld and that is it. Now I have a bare bones GHB. It ain't much, but it will be more than most will have.

bacpacker
02-18-2012, 01:31 AM
Welcome to the forum HES. Looking forward to gettin to know you.

rentprop1
02-19-2012, 05:10 AM
well I'm back, I decided to test the waters a little...about the only thing I carried on ( on the way to my destination ) was a small FAK, which was awesome cause I encountered a headache and wanted some Excedrine .....on the way back yesterday I put my knock off version of the E2D defender in my carry on ( made by TechLite, sold at Sam's club 3AAA and strike bezel ) as well as about 30 feet of paracord, and a few other items.....the only thing that TSA said was a no-no was my wide mouth nalgene water bottle ????.....I didn't argue to risk further scrutiny, but questioned it, I guess you aren't supposed to bring any liquid over a certain oz limit, but it was empty I said, the TSA guy told me I couldn't have it cause I could mix something in it ....WTF ???? he threw it away in a garbage can with about 100 other plastic bottled water drinks and several of the metal and nalgene bottles ??
this was at BWI by the way.....Baltimore

izzyscout21
02-19-2012, 12:55 PM
wow. what a bunch of retards

rentprop1
02-19-2012, 09:25 PM
thank goodness it was a cheap bottle, but I saw some Klean Kanteens in there as well as some of those expensive Camel Bak with the filters inside

Sniper-T
03-07-2012, 02:40 PM
Interesting:

How To Get Anything Through TSA Nude Body Scanners - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=olEoc_1ZkfA&has_verified=1)