PDA

View Full Version : Rethought my water storage

izzyscout21
02-09-2012, 07:40 PM
I had been putting my stored water in 2 liters for the time being. It was just easier.

I was at Satan's Gift Shop...wal-mart..........the other day and picked up a few of the Coleman Collapsible water jugs. They had them for $5.88.

Got them home and they just sat around. Then I got to looking and realized that there would fit inside a milk jug.

Based on that, I took all the jugs, filled them, and placed them in the milk crates. Wow. I can fill those bad boys and stack them up. Easy way to put water away.

I plan on doing this for all my water storage from here on out. It's easy and affordable, with the added bonus of being able to store more water in the space that the 2 liters took up.

I will eventualy phase out the 2 liters in favor of this system.

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/water%20storage/DSCF4585.jpg

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/water%20storage/DSCF4584.jpg

Taz Baby
02-09-2012, 08:59 PM
very good idea. Those crates are good for a lot of things. When my kids were all little I couldn,t afford a whole bed set for each so I used those crates for the box springs and laid a piece of plywood over them and then the matteress. Doing the water like that would store in a corner somewhere out of the way.

Patmark
02-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Oh shit Izzy, that's awesome man!! I never thought of doing that. That's a great idea. Don't forget to add a drop or two of unscented bleach per gallon for long term storage buddy, that way it'll keep for years. UUUM.... Unless you filled them with city water, in that case it's already got as much clorine (bleach), as it needs.

Shit and shinola I'm heading for walmart. :D God I love this site man thanks for sharing. Talk to you soon.

PM :cool:

izzyscout21
02-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Thanks guys. Even a blind ninja splits a skull every now and then

Sniper-T
02-09-2012, 10:46 PM
NICE!!

If you drill a hole in the side of the crate,near the bottom, you could stick the bag spout out through it, and then you have access to your water for rotation, or testing.

izzyscout21
02-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Good idea SNiper.

Now the problem is where to get more milk crates.

Stores have begun getting really touchy about the milk crate thing.

The ones you buy at wally world or target are not as sturdy and dont hold as much weight.

I'm gogin to try to find a dairy around here and see if I can get some used ones cheap. I refuse to pay $10 plus shipping for authentic heavy duty milk crates. But I dont want to buy stolen ones either.

Sniper-T
02-09-2012, 11:11 PM
check around hotels. they bring in massive amounts of dairy, and if you drive around back, they usually have a little semi-enclosed area where they stack things like that. It's probably also where they have their bin for used fryer grease (great for bear baiting, btw). Other than that, check popular resteraunts like IHOP, and any large buffet-style resteraunts. If you have an university or college near you, also places with huge volumes. although students probably have most of them.

Finally, watch for dairy trucks. If you see one, note the time and day, and then the next week, run his route before him. a lot of places wait until the last day before putting them out for pickup.

keep in mind, of course... this is all hypothetically speaking!:rolleyes:

GunnerMax
02-10-2012, 10:36 AM
I was sure that all the crates floating around this country were stolen ones from the post office, dairy's, and grocery stores. Others exist?

izzyscout21
02-10-2012, 01:53 PM
you can buy them from a few places, but they are about $10 per without shipping. ANy milk crate with someones name on it is stolen at some point or another.

Stormfeather
02-10-2012, 08:52 PM
love this idea! Ive got over 200 damn two liter bottles sitting around filled, i think i may go the same route with my camp jugs and phase out the 2 ltr bottles

Sniper-T
02-10-2012, 09:25 PM
how well do those 2 Litres pack into the crates? prob too tall, but 3x3 snug? would stack nicely like that.

I think in a SHTF a 2 litre of rice would be worth it's weight in gold

or beans...

or flour...

or potable water...

Fatty
02-10-2012, 09:55 PM
I've been buying bottled water by the case. Although I love this insight, i can get a case of bottled water for less than the 5 gallon bladders.

Like i said, awesome idea!

bacpacker
02-10-2012, 11:29 PM
Good idea Izzy, but I think Sniper has a good point. 2 liters of water in a bottle easily carried would be a nice barter item. I was wondering how the 2 litter bottles would fit in a milk crate. The crates do stack very nicely!

izzyscout21
02-11-2012, 01:26 PM
^^

He does have a good point. A lot of my rice/ beans/etc are in 2 liters. However, I have a metric %^&*ton of 2 liters around. I can definitely store more water in the space provived with the bladders over the 2 liters.

LUNCHBOX
02-11-2012, 06:32 PM
Those 2L bottles fit very nicely in a 5 gallon bucket. You can get 4 with room to spare in each bucket. I fill the excess area with smaller bottles. I don't use the the 2L for water but I do use them for dry goods like rice/beans/salt/sugar. You can get the buckets w/lids at Lowes for roughly $4.00.

TroubleShooter
02-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Just a thought on the milkcrate thing........add a heavy trashbag to each crate, should a SHTF begin you will be able to remove the bladders you have stored and then use the crates as support for the trash bags to be filled with additional water before running water stops......Same with the 5 gallon buckets with 2 liters , empty them and fill buckets with water .....Any trash can, clothes drawer, or cardboard box lined with heavy yard bags will work also...... and if the SHTF was short term you didn't break open your treated water supplies.

ladyhk13
02-11-2012, 09:05 PM
Izzy try the Goodwill and Salvation Army or any other thriftstore you have in your area. Usually they have that kind of stuff. AND it's the old ones that are heavy duty. People started throwing them out and getting rid of them so you should be able to get them second hand. Just a thought.