PDA

View Full Version : Solar /wind powered house house generator

Katrina
02-13-2012, 06:48 AM
I was wondering if anyone has heard of a standby generator 8-10kw that is powered by solar/wind generators?
We have nat gas gennie but in the event the gas is shut down, I have no way of powering the standby and thought perhaps I could use solar/wind to crank the engine and keep it running?
Yah I know I'm probably either ahead of my time or a bit loony tunes ha ha ha ha
Thanks all

TroubleShooter
02-13-2012, 11:00 AM
Might look into using an inverter with a battery bank and charging the battery bank with wind and solar......or even bicycle power....

Katrina
02-13-2012, 12:46 PM
Thanks, I hadn't thought about that. I would have to replace generators motor for one that would run on electricity. Like an electrical grinder or something larger of course, then hook it to battery bank. mmmmmmm will have to ponder this some more. I can't find the site I stumbled upon awhile back, could have sworn there was a whole house set up on it. Didn't bookmark site either, rats!

realist
02-13-2012, 11:21 PM
Loony no, crazy maybe....... You may be thinking about something in the neighborhood of water power that runs a generator. I could see that wind power would charge things. It would be your generator but I do not think that it would have the torque to be able to adapt to run your generator, unless it was one of the large one. On that note it you find one please post the information.

Katrina
02-14-2012, 04:04 PM
Most assuredly, if I find any info, I will post. I wish my Pop were still here, he used to figure stuff like this out. He invented a couple of things that worked really great after he would "ponder" things for awhile.

ladyhk13
02-15-2012, 05:42 AM
Have you looked at Backwoods Solar? They have solar stuff so maybe there is something in their catelog that could help you?

Katrina
02-15-2012, 06:51 AM
Thanks lady, will check them out.

TroubleShooter
02-15-2012, 11:59 AM
Thanks, I hadn't thought about that. I would have to replace generators motor for one that would run on electricity. Like an electrical grinder or something larger of course, then hook it to battery bank. mmmmmmm will have to ponder this some more. I can't find the site I stumbled upon awhile back, could have sworn there was a whole house set up on it. Didn't bookmark site either, rats!

No, you would use the inverter to power your house. and use the wind , solar or whatever to charge the batteries that run the inverter...an alternator driven by wind turbine, waterwheel, bicycle or even a small generator could charge the batteries.

Power Inverter FAQ (http://www.theinverterstore.com/tips.php)

Katrina
02-20-2012, 11:02 PM
Trouble,
Thanks for the link!