PDA

View Full Version : Has Mother Nature been giving you problems this year, more than normal?

Taz Baby
02-14-2012, 04:12 PM
The weather has been very weird this year. Anyone else notice this?

I have concluded that Mother Nature saves all her anger until wintertime. What ever pisses her off; she waits for winter to retaliate. This year has been weird here. Mild compared to last winter. This winter we have had snow only three times and it has never stayed on the ground long enough to make a snowball or a snow angel. Last year we had to knock off the snow from our boots everyday just to come inside to get warm. This year when the temperatures are warm for winter, it is raining hard enough that you can’t go outside and work, Then when it not raining and a pretty day to work, it is so cold your fingers won’t wrap around a hammer. Mother Nature has to be really pissed this year. Or it is not meant for us to do any building of any kind. Just the other day my DH salvaged a broken porch swing, to make a new one. It took him two days just to do that because of having to come in every hour to warm his fingers and toes up, even using the Toasty Toes and hand warmers in his gloves and boots. Today is valentines Day and I wanted to start working on my chairs that I am building. After waking up to a drizzling rain beating on the roof, I decided to wait until after Breakfast to start. When I went out side to the cooler to get the milk, it was snowing. Went to put the milk back in the cooler it is raining again. With breakfast out of the way and ready to get started, I again go out, now no snow, or rain but the temperatures are too cold to hold the saw I need to use. Guess I have to wait until summer to make the dining room table and chairs for our new kitchen.

bacpacker
02-15-2012, 12:54 AM
We have had a pretty normal winter, with the exception of the temps. It's been much warmer than normal and only a few snow flurries. However the rain is about 1-2" above normal so far in 2012.
We actually had a much worse start to the year last year. By thanksgiving 2010 we were well below normal temps which lasted through last Feb. Last March and April was very normal until April 27th when we had the most devastating rash of tornados and hail this side of the state has seen in years. It trashed our garden and orchard and we never completely recovered from it. The hail trashed 2 vehicles and our house. We actually were fortunate it wasn't worse. A F2 tornado touched down a little over a mile from us. I think Izzy will vouch for this. He got nailed to.

The Stig
02-15-2012, 12:57 AM
I'd say in the last year it's been pretty peaceful down our way.

We had tropical storm Lee which just barely glanced us. It was really cold February '11 and then really hot May '11.

But overall no real problems per se.

Sniper-T
02-15-2012, 01:52 AM
That Bitch! I'd personally like to skin her and wear her hide as a coat!

Last year, we set records for the most consecutive cold days, and for record amounts of snow fall.

This year, I have to trailer 3 hours to run my sled, and at that, I can almost go out in shorts!

Last winter I put almost 2000 miles on my sled. This year, less that 100.

Last year, I had 7 feet of snow in my yard. This year less than 3 inches.

Mother Nature can kiss my ass!!!!!

GIVE ME BACK MY WINTER!!!!!!

JustAPrepper
02-15-2012, 02:33 AM
It's been incredibly warm here all "winter" long. Makes me dread what may be coming this summer. :(

ladyhk13
02-15-2012, 03:29 AM
It's been warmer and wetter than normal. We have had either really warm days or really cold but the warmer have been more since we have had NO SNOW this year and last year it was records! All of our trees are budding and flowers are blossoming so who knows what will happen next. I haven't even been able to go out and look at the property since closing because all of the warm days have rained. The summer does make me nervous now and wonder if it will be one filled with deadly storms like last year. I know I need to think about getting seeds started and planning my tree choices but it's soooo ikky out there I just want to be like a bear and hibernate for a while! LOL!
JustA it's so good to see you back, how are you? Was hoping you would be back soon.

Onestep
02-15-2012, 08:23 PM
Hey Justa.
I don't know about always waiting until winter.
You should see what she brings us in summer here in Florida :eek:

GunnerMax
02-16-2012, 08:39 AM
its been raining here in the desert, more than usual

Taz Baby
02-16-2012, 02:07 PM
the rest of this week is going to be in the 50ish high low 40ish.perfect for working outside. BUT 90% rain

izzyscout21
02-16-2012, 03:10 PM
down here, She cant decide wheter it's supposed to be nice and warm, or if it's supposed to be a frigid miserable experience.

To Mother Nature:

(Glances toward sky, shaking raised fist)
Geez, shit or get off the pot already. Make up your mind, woman!

Grumpy Old Man
02-16-2012, 04:18 PM
We've been warmer than average here, but we're way down on precipitation! The snow pack in the Sierras is way down from last year. The weather wizards say it's because of La Nina. These are the same folks who are sure of Global Warming yet can't manage to get a 50% success rate on their forecasts. Personally, I rely on my right wrist and both knees to predict the weather and I'm usually pretty good! The more it aches the more severe the weather will be.

As an aside GunnerMax, are you up at 29 Stumps right now?

Taz Baby
02-16-2012, 08:14 PM
last year was my first time ever seeing snow other than on T.V. And I wasn,t prepared to play it.I was more focused on staying warm. So this year I was ready, got my metal garbage can lid, my mountain picked out to slide down and mother has not yet come through for me with enough snow to use that lid.

Lincoln33
02-16-2012, 09:41 PM
Been warmer than usual here in Arkansas and we actually set some new records for warmest month in January. We almost had a weather event this past Monday but it didn't amount to much. Other than a lot of rain, which is actually needed, it's been a good winter.

mitunnelrat
02-17-2012, 03:56 AM
Its been warmer here with less snow too. More muddy though. my car is supposed to be black, but looks mostly brown right now. I'll wash it off soon I think. Things seem to have frozen up a bit again.

Taz Baby
03-02-2012, 04:00 PM
sever heavy rains, tornado,s and hail is on the way to us today. But we are ready. Our hollow seems to protect us really goodAlso has anyone notice the odd way the sun is coming up? Here it is coming up in alittle off the norm.

Sniper-T
03-02-2012, 04:12 PM
Last week, we had 8-10 inches of snow.

So far today, we have had 6" of snow

All is right in my world!

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r571/cdeleijer/Editing%20Project/smileyface.jpg

Taz Baby
06-26-2012, 12:47 PM
54 This morning. Geez I'm cold. Heat wave coming this friday 102. Come on heat wave

Sniper-T
06-26-2012, 01:12 PM
mid to high 80's since last Friday...

forcast for the same into next week...

All is right in my world!

http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r571/cdeleijer/Editing%20Project/smileyface.jpg

helomech
06-26-2012, 01:37 PM
Much better this year. We are actually getting rain, and are not in a severe drought right now for the first time in a lot of years. It sure is getting hot though.

realist
06-26-2012, 02:12 PM
We got only a little rain until March, then we got an entire winter's worth of rain in about three weeks. The past two years out winters have been really mild and warmer than normal.

IDTANDY
06-26-2012, 03:29 PM
Hot...........104 today with 110 index.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpktBGInl60

bacpacker
06-26-2012, 03:43 PM
Our spring and late winter was really wet. The past month or so we have had almost no rain and temps in the upper 80-mid 90's. Nice today but up around 100 for thursday thru monday at least.

Grumpy Old Man
06-26-2012, 04:48 PM
June Gloom here. 65 in the morning mid 90s in the afternoon.

tompnoid
06-26-2012, 05:39 PM
been nice here this year no real snow warmed up early barely ran through any fuel this winter its 70 and a nice breeze right now

Onestep
06-26-2012, 08:02 PM
Huh, it's wet here :(
I think Ma Nature likes to flex her muscles depending on the time of the season and let everyone know who's really the boss.

bacpacker
06-26-2012, 11:27 PM
How much rain have you had one step? I heard on the news tonight some areas across the panhandle have had over 30" so far.

helomech
06-27-2012, 04:02 AM
Our rabbit area got to 113 F today and we lost a rabbit. Going to have to figure something out. We have been putting water inside there cages, have fans set up, and even freezing 2 liter bottles. This summer is going to be a b*tch.

Sniper-T
06-27-2012, 10:27 AM
yikes. that sucks Helo! Got any pics of your rabbit setup? maybe if we all see it, we can offer something constructive. I assume they have shade?

How about a hole? ground is usually cooler a couple feet down, could you sink a large cooler into the ground (a ramp for bunny access) then a couple 2 liters in there should keep it really cool down there??

helomech
06-27-2012, 02:54 PM
Can post some pics later, but real busy right now. It is covered, but they are in indivdual cages, not on the ground. We want to be able to completely control their breeding, but in the future will be building a cage that they can tunnel in, but I have to much going right now.

Sniper-T
06-27-2012, 03:15 PM
...We want to be able to completely control their breeding...

That seems cruel and unusual. I'm sure that if you explain the situation to them, they could be trusted to be all free together on the honour system!

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/3457/bunnyhumpingchicken.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/508/bunnyhumpingchicken.jpg/)

bacpacker
06-27-2012, 03:33 PM
Not sure i want to see the offspring of that.

Sorry to hear about the rabbit helo. We have lost some chickens and it sucks.