PDA

View Full Version : Tools and supplies

bacpacker
04-01-2011, 02:34 AM
Folks I hope this is the correct area for this post.
I'm not sure how many of you all participate in farming/gardening type endeavors. I grew up farming with my step dad and both sets of grandparents. Some things from that has stuck with me to this day. We did almost all our own work to keep everything running/operating smoothly. This ran the range from our tractors, mowers, haybalers, building our own sheds, barns, fences, maintaining our houses, plumbing, electrical, roofing, etc. I feel like this gave me a good background on being a hands on type person. This has led to me being able to make a living as a mechanical and electonics maintenace tech/engineer.
One of the things that has stuck with me (and haunts me still) I'm a tool whore. I collect everything from auto mechanics tools to construction, to woodworking, to farm tools. Here lately I have started trying to locate hand tools of any type. This has been srprisingly difficult to do. I have found a couple different hand drills with bits, and a couple of hoes for the garden. I feel like if we are ever hit by a EMP, CME, Nuc, or just flat overlaod the electrical grid to the point we have to revert back to a late 1800's lifestyle, having hand tools on hand will make the transition much easier.
I have also carried that over into larger machinery. I have picked up a old McCormick #5 hay mowing machine that is fully functional. It has been changed over to be able to be used behind a tractor. I would like to get a set up to making it horse drawn again. I also was able to get my grandda's horse drawn hay dump hay rake. I used it with him when I was growing up.
Another thing that I am starting to look at seriously is getting back ups for my heavy use tools. After all two is one, one is none. I'm looking to get several shovels, rakes, hoes, axes, chainsaws w/spares, wedges for wood splitting, mauls, wood saws, hammers of many types, mattox, pitch forks, etc. Also to get sharpening equipment.
What is everyone else working on from this stand point.

RedJohn
04-01-2011, 10:34 PM
EMP and such, I don't really believe that this will happen, however loss of power is very common everywhere and a very plausible scenario, same as fuel shortages. Any survival scenario must include some old time power, like animals or your own body.

bacpacker
04-02-2011, 01:20 AM
RJ EMP is on my list, but isn't near the top. Actually I feel more like the grid will collapse from the age and not being able to keep up with demand. The other very likely in my mind is secnario is the .gov pushing all this global warming stuff and jacking up the price and to some degree availability of electricity. I can't see spending what little money I will have on electric if I don't need to.

The Stig
04-02-2011, 03:33 AM
RJ EMP is on my list, but isn't near the top. Actually I feel more like the grid will collapse from the age and not being able to keep up with demand. The other very likely in my mind is secnario is the .gov pushing all this global warming stuff and jacking up the price and to some degree availability of electricity. I can't see spending what little money I will have on electric if I don't need to.

Winner winner Sheen dinner.

Those who circlejerk themselves over EMP usually overlook these far more realistic scenarios.

RedJohn
04-03-2011, 11:15 AM
Alternative power supply is a MUST think IMHO. We have a need for power, no matter how little you need. Alternative sources like solar, water or wind are a must.

bacpacker
04-03-2011, 11:42 PM
I agree RJ. I am workin on gettin a small solar set up, but It's goin to be mainly for a little bit of lighting, and comm's (battery charging). I have a good friend (retired engineer) who was in my Ham radio group who has done a ton of research on solar for his set up. He looked at a lot of companies and did a lot of measurements on what amount of power he uses and how much the different panels he purchased will provide. From his conclusion, without having a lot of panels and mounting them on a rotatable mount for tracking the sun. You He looked at his results over a 2 month period and included all weather conditions. Measurements were taken on a 2 hour schedule for the period.

IMO solar is doable, but it will take a good bankroll. Anything will help however. I'm not knocking solar, wind or hydro for that matter, I just don't have the funding available to support it. Hopefully one day.

Stg1swret
04-30-2011, 04:48 AM
Solar is do-able low budget if you plan well. Most electronic devices today don't actually need 110/120V to operate. Everything past the transformer in a PC of TV is 12v dc or less. Even the amperage needed is low it is just a matter of knowing what can and can not be converted to 12V. Get an inverter to power 110V appliances, and a few storage batteries and you are pretty much good to go. A vertical turbine hooked up to a 12V generator along with solar will keep you going a long time. 12V lighting is a snap.