PDA

View Full Version : New BOV/Zombie Flicker

Brownwater Riverrat 13
02-17-2012, 02:40 AM
OK Bacpacker I said I'd post you some pictures so here it is. It's got this really cool Zombie flicker. You get a whole buncha zombies all over your truck tryin to eat ya and then ya get the truck up to about 80 miles an hour and then ya hit the switch and they all get flicked off. The hard part is getting someone to go back there and re-cock the thing at 80 miles an hour. Yup ya got luv them dualies. Got a box of new parts in today. Cab light gaskets, motor mounts, transfer case mount, parking light lenses, Interior cab dome light (because it's not equiped with one) a set of "Warn" manual lock in hubs. Little of this and a little of that, just needs some TLC. Strong runnin truck though. Has the Dana 60 and 4:10 gears. OK so it's the wife's new truck..........can't wait to see what she take's out with it first, hell she's got over 240 acres to play with.
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/7924/41207581.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/252/41207581.jpg/)
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/8562/11498105.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/685/11498105.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/9614/21077826.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/513/21077826.jpg/)

Be safe..................... the night is your friend

realist
02-17-2012, 03:05 AM
This is something that me and another guy were looking for. We are looking for a diesel that we can share so that will cut our expenses. You scored well..

izzyscout21
02-17-2012, 03:13 AM
Nice. I love it Riverrat. Freakin sweet.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
02-17-2012, 04:32 AM
Well this is what the little woman and I were lookin for, one that was pre-86. Before throttle bodies and electronics, sensors and "check engine" lights. EMP ain't got shit on this one. It has some minor flaws, but there is NO RUST on the cab. No shit......mechanicly she is sound. So far I have changed plugs dist. cap, rotor, straightened out the plug wires, put new insulation on the wireing harnesses running along the valve covers, replaced all vacuum hoses, degreased engine and under carrige, installed new tach, and straightened out the wiring under the dash. Still to come.......replace power steering hoses, fuel pump gaskets, install new lock-in hubs, oil change transfer case fluid change, just basic maintenance that's been neglected over time. To me it's nothing, to the misses it's major. It's fine as long as it's not raining or freezing. So tomorrows nice and we'll see how much more I get done. The guy was running #43 plugs which are way to cold, so I put a set of 45's in there also it has an Edlebrock carb on there instead of the old Rochester. Now what size? I have no Idea, could be a 600 or 650, all I know is it's a Carter AFB style and I'll have to research it. Dropping the tach on there will help me in getting her dialed in right....... anyway get a few more gallons per mile. So I should be able to at least get the air fuel dialed in and the timing done tomorrow as well. I think it will make a fine addition to the family. I'll try to keep you posted with the improvements.

Be safe................the night is your friend

bacpacker
02-18-2012, 01:48 AM
Sweet truck! That thing look really sharp for the model. And I love that dump bed, it will come in very handy at different times. I didn't read back to the other thread where this came up, but I believe you said it was a 4x4? That should handle most anything you'll need. Getting a truck from the 80's models without rust is awesome, they are hard to find. All you maintenance sounds pretty normal for those trucks. Bout the only thing I would add that you didn't list, check the u-joints and all the wheel bearings. Do you plan on a winch? It could be handy at times on the farm.
Congrats you got a score.

Taz Baby
02-18-2012, 03:45 AM
That's awesome. Nice and blue my fav color. If it is her truck and you have lots of acres to play in, then you need a forkliftgrill and a crane winch in front. Semi truck airbags for air ride and she can't tear it up. Love it. You did good

ladyhk13
02-18-2012, 05:26 AM
Taz are you saying that I'm gonna get stuck somewhere and I need to be able to pull myself out????Hit trees? And airbags too???? LOL!!!!!!! I guess I'm luck there are no curbs out in the woods or I would be hitting them for sure, I'm a curb magnet. He says it's my truck but you know after he does all this baby lovie dovie stuff on it he'll never let me touch it!!!!!! I'll be lucky to sit in the back seat with the dogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. :rolleyes: Ok, maybe hit the tree thing

bacpacker
02-18-2012, 02:33 PM
Ah Lady, It don't much matter which of you end up with it, yall will get a ton of use out of it. It's ALL good!

Brownwater Riverrat 13
02-18-2012, 02:38 PM
Taz are you saying that I'm gonna get stuck somewhere and I need to be able to pull myself out????Hit trees? And airbags too???? LOL!!!!!!! I guess I'm luck there are no curbs out in the woods or I would be hitting them for sure, I'm a curb magnet. He says it's my truck but you know after he does all this baby lovie dovie stuff on it he'll never let me touch it!!!!!! I'll be lucky to sit in the back seat with the dogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. :rolleyes: Ok, maybe hit the tree thing

Nope, It's the day you say, " I knew I could make it down here, but I just wasn't sure if I could make make it back up. But I knew would come up with something!" ..................."Swift like tree, Sharp like rock" that's me alright. Fricken McGiver ain't got shit on me!...........Anyway, that's the day I'm worried about. "You said it was four wheel drive" ..........Yup, took all four wheels to get it down there, bet you didn't know there were six when you left the house. Now you get to use the tractor, yee haa.
But I love ya "In spite of "

Brownwater Riverrat 13
02-18-2012, 02:56 PM
Sweet truck! That thing look really sharp for the model. And I love that dump bed, it will come in very handy at different times. I didn't read back to the other thread where this came up, but I believe you said it was a 4x4? That should handle most anything you'll need. Getting a truck from the 80's models without rust is awesome, they are hard to find. All you maintenance sounds pretty normal for those trucks. Bout the only thing I would add that you didn't list, check the u-joints and all the wheel bearings. Do you plan on a winch? It could be handy at times on the farm.
Congrats you got a score.

The thread was back on the new website logo design. Yeah really suprised about the rust. Managed to make it through yesterday with only one chunk out of the right index finger. Score one for Otis, added an extra run yesterday and bought new belts they were all cracked. U-joints are good, have not checked bearings yet but the 200 mile drive back from where I bought was "somewhat" uneventful. Plan on hitting the Transfercase and motor mounts today, found exhaust leak (shitty weld job on cone from header to exhaust pipe) I guess we use a little JB weld see how that holds with some "propper" prepping. Cab lights on roof had no gaskets............wonder where all the water's been going? replaced thaose just as it was gettin dark. Lot of meticulous things that father time has taken his tole on that need care. FYIInsurance company says it has to be insured as commercial vehicle (dump bed) Some things were done right, some things were done wrong. So you do them right now and buy yourself some insurance, it'll last you that much longer, i'd hate to see my wiring harness go up in smoke..........my best half would call it nickle and dime. Me, a bit of time and effort, but we have a solid ass foundation, eh? Winch? Ah, yes, the wife said she wants a winch........as I'm laughing. OK need to go to work cause I'm burnin daylight.

Be safe.................the night is your friend

Stormfeather
02-18-2012, 03:10 PM
FYI: Harbor Freight Tools has winches on sale really cheap right now!

Dropy
02-18-2012, 03:31 PM
OK Bacpacker I said I'd post you some pictures so here it is. It's got this really cool Zombie flicker. You get a whole buncha zombies all over your truck tryin to eat ya and then ya get the truck up to about 80 miles an hour and then ya hit the switch and they all get flicked off. The hard part is getting someone to go back there and re-cock the thing at 80 miles an hour. Yup ya got luv them dualies. Got a box of new parts in today. Cab light gaskets, motor mounts, transfer case mount, parking light lenses, Interior cab dome light (because it's not equiped with one) a set of "Warn" manual lock in hubs. Little of this and a little of that, just needs some TLC. Strong runnin truck though. Has the Dana 60 and 4:10 gears. OK so it's the wife's new truck..........can't wait to see what she take's out with it first, hell she's got over 240 acres to play with.
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/7924/41207581.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/252/41207581.jpg/)
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/8562/11498105.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/685/11498105.jpg/)

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/9614/21077826.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/513/21077826.jpg/)

Be safe..................... the night is your friend

And with the tilt bed you can unload the groceris very quickly. =)

bacpacker
02-18-2012, 07:36 PM
Wow you guys found a gem it appears. All the things you doing is just normal wear and tear stuff for the most part.
Can you tell if the bed was a professional install? From the pics it appears to be. Check the hydryalic line and fittings closely, they can go to crap over time. Hopefully they are good.

ladyhk13
02-18-2012, 08:56 PM
Hey, blame Taz about the wench thing...I thought about it but wasn't going to ask just yet but since she put it out here I figured "why not?" BTY, BWRR13 decided to change it's name from the Beast to Otis (WTF???) and said it hasn't taken a chunk out of him yet, well today it took a nice slice out of him so I say the thing needs to be called The Beast again (thank goodness, who in the hell is Otis????).
I helped take out the motor mounts today so I got my little hands dirty a tiny bit. Then I came in and cooked scrambled eggs. The eggs where easier. BWRR13 is just waiting for the day he can post a picture of The Beast hanging off the cliff somewhere being held only by a sapling. I'm sure he's chomping at the bit for me to embarass myself in front of all of you guys! I know the day will come, rest assured.........................

Taz Baby
02-19-2012, 01:24 AM
Lady, I wasn’t meaning that you are a bad driver, just the opposite. Let me explain it better. My oldest son has a knack for building with his hands and he does it with trucks. It is a hobby of his. Likes to see what kind of monster truck he can build. Anyway where he lives they have Mud Bogs in the summer and he takes his beasts their to play. He built a Chevy 4 door dually into a Big dozer type truck. Put a big round pipe for a bumper in front and a Fork lift grill with a crane winch. Raised it up so high using those air bags that semi’s use on there shocks for a smoother ride. Had a air tank in the back seat. Anyway I am 5, 2’” and I could walk straight under the truck without touching it. So every time I rode with him in the mug Bog, He had a ladder for me to climb in. When he trailered it from place to place he would let the air out. That is what I was talking about. You could plow the trees down without any trouble, to clear the land where you need it. IF the water was high you just turn the airbags on to raise it up. If by chance you did get it stuck, you would need that crane winch to pull you out. Think about the money you”ll save on hiring a bulldozer to clear your land.

I,ve never heard of Otis either but have heard of The Big Blue Beast.

On and to get around the insurance company and save money. Take the bed off and just list it as a dually for farm use only. Some places give you a discount for your trucks being used only on the farm, as in small rancher.

My DH won't let me use the Tractor, says I might hurt myself. But then again he doesn't really know me. WE have only been together for a year. Wait until I surprise him and show him I can take it in the creek and pond with out getting stuck like he does, he he

ladyhk13
02-19-2012, 02:41 AM
Ah ha...interesting idea, the air bags. DH will read this for sure so ya never know it might give him some thoughts. Well the joke here is I am can't stay away from curbs. I leased a Mazda3 and dh scrubbed it, cleaned it, touched up the road dings...all the normal stuff you would think the company would get ya on and the one thing he didn't think about was the darn rims where I kept hitting the curbs and of course that was the ONLY thing they were concerned with and hit me with something stupid like a $200 per rim fee for them. Sucked. I just can't stay away from curbs. So dh told me that I didn't need to worry about curbs with the truck....cool!
DH has been telling me that I need to learn how to drive the tractor which I look forward to doing, just not on a freezing raining day.
A winch would be good...we already talked about it so that will come when he's done tinkering (lol). Don't know if we'll actually need it but I would rather have it and not need it than the other way around.
The insurance isn't bad at all...something like $180. per 6 months. We can handle that. It just has to be on a separate policy (commercial) since it has a dump on it. No big deal. Don't need full coverage on something that old. Lucked out all the way around with this thing I guess. Best part is, dh is a happy camper.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
02-19-2012, 01:11 PM
OK, score 2 transfer case mounts, 2 motor mounts, disassemble/reassemble clean contacts on 5 cab lights on roof for me. 1 slice to back of the right hand and 1 hammer to the back of the left hand while knocking in motor mount form underneath for the Beast. Shit you think the guy would be happy, the tranny mounts were like sponges and one motor mount was broke and the other was half way there. I'm not sure he's going to like being restrained like that I guess. So that makes me the winner for the day. Today it's raining so I'll lick my wounds and plan my stratigies to do battle yet another day. But the war will never be won..............

"If thou hurtest in thy efforts, and thou art suffering painful dings. Then thou must be doing it right!"
(Richard Marcinko)

Be safe.........the night is your friend

Taz Baby
02-19-2012, 02:26 PM
ahh Chevy rules. Even with broken motor mounts and sponges for tranny mounts, they will take you home. You got a great truck.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
02-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Yes, a gentleman always wears a bowtie....................but behind it lies the heart of a beast.

Be safe...........the night is your friend.

bacpacker
02-19-2012, 04:20 PM
Sounds like a productive day all round. Nice catch on the tranny mounts.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
02-19-2012, 11:46 PM
When one feels the herky jerky when tappin the gas peddle I lean toward the mounts first. Then after a visual it all kinda just fell into place. The fun part was doing it by yourself, a little jack here, a little wiggle there, shove a spike in there to line up the the mount and WA-LAH! "Hey hun can you help me tighten these last four bolts?" Yeah I imagine she ought to run pretty smooth after this and the tune up. Hell I haven't taken it out of the driveway yet! Sounds good, looks great on the internet huh? OK so I have fluids next and some electrical devices, dome light, courtesy lights (by your feet), new fuel gauge. Gee I wonder what I'll find behind the dash.....................

Be safe...........the night is your friend

Brownwater Riverrat 13
02-19-2012, 11:47 PM
FYI: Harbor Freight Tools has winches on sale really cheap right now!

Hey thanks for the intell, I haven't looked yet but what ever they have I hope it's big enough to pull a truck this big.

Be safe...........the night is your friend

Taz Baby
02-20-2012, 03:26 AM
OH NO never take the dash off unless it is on fire.... Kinda like taking something out of the box. It never goes back in right. It,s always scary behind the dash. But then again since your going over it with a fine tooth comb and it,s all done at least you won,t have to worry. You will have a brand new truck. TIP..... Take pics after you take the dash off and before you touch any thing. That way you have a referance. TIP.......color code and number each wire with tape when doing the wiring harness. Just in case you didn,tknow that. Good luck with the dash.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
02-20-2012, 11:56 AM
OH no, not that complicated. Just the gauge console behind the steering wheel. Done this one once/ten times before. Pretty simple actually, just a bit of maneuvering that has to be mastered. What I was getting at was when whom ever put the stereo in...........just what kind of bang up job did they do? Judging by what I have seen so far, I'll have to clean things up. Straighten the runs, no tangles, proper splices, put lugs on the wires so they can be connected properly, that sort of thing. I'm sure there will be a few other things. While it's open I can wire in the new interior lights.

But thank you very much for the advice and yes, I do use that method of digital cameras, I sure am glad for those! I can't begin to tell you how much I have used mine in the past for reassembly of some complicated things. Like that old treadle sewing machine. You can't find an actual maintenace manual for those. But once you do it, you know it. I'm more of a visual learner, but I can learn by the book as well, but when it's not available use what you got. Thanks again.

Be safe............the night is your friend