PDA

View Full Version : The SHTF ready recipe thread!

beginner
04-03-2011, 12:52 AM
I'm hoping there is enough interest in this that maybe it can be turned into a sticky. I thought it would be neat if there was a place we could all post our tried and true favorite recipes for all the other members to try out. What do you guys think? Mods, if you feel this is a waste of space and bandwidth, feel free to delete it....

RedJohn
04-03-2011, 11:01 AM
No, it is a very good idea. How to make something tasty with little available, game meat, etc.

beginner
04-03-2011, 06:42 PM
No, it is a very good idea. How to make something tasty with little available, game meat, etc.

Exactly! Hopefully we get some members to chime in. I'd like to learn to cook a little more. I know how to do a few things but, not what I'd call SHTF recipes....

I guess to start it off I'll post my favorite spaghetti sauce recipe...

1 pound ground beef
1 can mushrooms
1 can diced tomatoes (Large) Strain out tomato juice.
1 small can tomato paste
1 can of your favorite spaghetti sauce
1 cup brown sugar
1 diced garlic clove

Brown beef in large sauce pan on medium low heat till browned. In separate pan, cook mushrooms and garlic in butter. (Cook to liking) Once beef is browned in other pan, strain out excess "beef juice" and place back in pan. Mix in other ingredients and cook on medium low heat until hot (I let it simmer for a good 10-15 minutes) Remove from heat, let stand 5 minutes. Mix in spaghetti and enjoy! The brown sugar gives in a great flavor.

RedJohn
04-05-2011, 10:50 PM
Bannock is the traditional bread of Canada and the Northwest. Native people had no access to flour prior to the arrival of European traders, although some flour substitutes existed, like wild turnips or corn, dried and ground to a powder.

Bannock actually originated in Scotland. Because bannock could be quickly prepared from readily available ingredients, and because these ingredients lasted a long time without spoiling, bannock became a staple of European fur traders and subsequently, the native people also.

Bannock recipe

1 c flour

4 tsp double-acting baking powder

2 Tbs powdered skim milk

Stir ingredients together; stir in water to make dough moist. Knead dough until smooth. Place in greased cast iron skillet or Dutch oven and bake it about five to 10 minutes over the campfire or on coals until it is brown on the bottom, then flip it, and brown the other side.

A handy way to prepare for a backpacking or hiking trip is to mix all the dry ingredients in a Ziplock bag. Just add 1/2 cup water and knead in the bag. Then take out the dough, finish kneading and spread it in the pan.

(Practice baking the bannock by the campfire. Put the dough in a greased skillet, and place it near the campfire, propped at about a 60-degree angle with a stick. When the side nearest the fire browns, flip the bread and brown the other side. In a pinch you could bake it on a plank!)

http://survivalcommonsense.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/2010-trail-food-illustrations-006-300x200.jpg

RedJohn
04-05-2011, 10:53 PM
Hardtack is one of the original trail and emergency foods. Hardtack is simple to make, transports easily and will last a reasonably long time if stored in plastic bags or containers. The disadvantage is the bland taste, and traditional toughness.

(It only takes a few additional ingredients to turbocharge the nutritional value of hardtack. To each cup of flour in the recipe, add one tablespoon of soy flour, one teaspoon of wheat germ and one teaspoon of powdered milk. There is no difference in the taste, and these ingredients combine to make the bread a complete protein.)

Hardtack Recipe

Ingredients:

4 cups flour (preferably whole wheat)
4 teaspoons salt
Water (about 2 cups)
Pre-heat oven to 375° F
Makes about 10 pieces
Mix the flour and salt together in a bowl. Add just enough water (less than two cups) so that the mixture will stick together, producing a dough that won’t stick to hands, rolling pin or pan. Mix the dough by hand. Roll the dough out, shaping it roughly into a rectangle. Cut into the dough into squares about 3 x 3 inches and ½ inch thick.

After cutting the squares, press a pattern of four rows of four holes into each square, using a nail or other such object. Do not punch through the dough. The appearance you want is similar to that of a modern saltine cracker. Turn each square over and do the same thing to the other side.

Place the squares on an ungreased cookie sheet in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Turn each piece over and bake for another 30 minutes. The crackers should be slightly brown on both sides.

The fresh crackers are easily broken, but as they dry, they harden.

RedJohn
04-05-2011, 11:06 PM
2 c pre-cooked black beans, rinsed and drained
1-1/2 c sweet corn, dehydrated or freeze dried
1 c salsa
4 c chicken, diced freeze dried or canned
1 c cheddar cheese, shredded or freeze dried
1-1/2 c rice
2 c water
2 c Cream of Chicken condensed soup

In a slow cooker or Dutch oven, mix together the beans, corn, 1/2 cup salsa, rice and cream of chicken condensed soup and water. Mix all together, then pour into baking dish. Cover with remaining salsa and put lid on.

Cook on high for 2-1/2 to 3 hours, then sprinkle cheese on top. When the cheese starts to melt, serve with extra salsa and corn chips or a salad.

If you are cooking this in you oven rather than in a crock pot of dutch oven, put into a large oven proof dish with a lid and cook at 470 degrees for 2-1/2 to 3 hours.

bacpacker
04-06-2011, 03:30 PM
RJ You are killin me. The Sante Fe cassarole sounds excellent.

RedJohn
04-06-2011, 04:56 PM
I know, my mouth is watering too.

alaska
04-07-2011, 01:19 PM
I cook to taste so i wont have exact amounts on ones I post

Mock smoked salmon dip
2 ans pink salmon,drained bones removed
add real mayo until its the consistency of a good dip/spread
then add 2 cap fulls of liquid smoke
mix well again
couple dashes garlic powder to taste
S&P to taste
dip with favorite cracker, I prefer the ritz flipz

To make it bolder you can reduce some of the mayo and add a good horseradish, again to taste

mitunnelrat
04-09-2011, 12:39 AM
Ok, these aren't tried and true. Yet. My entire family and most friends have rebelled over the use of their kitchens for any of the following. From "The Wildlife Chef" ISBN 0-933-11202-5:

Opossum Pea Soup
1 possum breast and meaty legs
1/4 pound diced salt pork
2 Medium diced onions
1 pound split peas
1 carrot, chopped
1/2 teaspoon tarragon
salt, pepper
Soak peas overnight. Drain and cover with 2 quarts cold water. Add rest of ingredients and simmer for 1-1 1/2 hours, until everything is tender. Serve hot with oyster crackers.
There are 4 other possum recipes in the book. I picked this one because it includes split peas (which store well as LTS food) and would help stretch out pork consumption. Its also a game animal that few people will deign to touch, much like this next one:

Porcupine Liver
"Porcupines have large livers that are said to be a gourmet delight. Fry 1/2 inch slices of liver in a frying pan with butter and lots of onions only minute on a side. Or, when camping, wrap bacon slices around a piece of liver and grill over the coals of a fire for a few minutes. "

There are two other porcupine recipes which utilize the flesh.

The entire book is comprised of sections on: Big game, including butchering and processing techniques. Small game, which is where I referenced the above two recipes from. Fish; Game Birds; Turtles, Frogs, and Crawdads; Sauces and Stuffing; Michigan plants like morels, popcorn, maple syrup, yogurt, wild plant beverages, wild seasoning, and jams/ jellies/ preserves; Breads and Desserts: and Camp Cooking. I can reference from any of that if anybody has any specific questions on a particular species. Let me know, and I'll post it if I've got it.

RedJohn
04-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Possum soup looks enticing.

mitunnelrat
04-09-2011, 05:20 PM
The roast possum recipe looked good to me as well. I can legally trap and/or shoot these things all year too. I'm just gonna have to prep it for cooking where nobody can see what it is, lol...

alaska
04-10-2011, 01:12 AM
IM going to attempt home made wassabi peas tomorrow for the first ingredient of my home made trail mix.

bacpacker
04-10-2011, 02:05 AM
Alaska let me know how the peas turn out. That is one of my favorite snacks.

alaska
04-10-2011, 02:29 PM
ok keep in mind this is the first time using the dehydrator

1 bag frozen peas. put all on 1 tray, 120 degrees= lil green thing s that taste like wassabi peas BUT still not all the way dry after 8 hours
Took way to long. Next batch, less peas on 1 tray and temp will be 135
Also wait to put on seasoning till towards the end

Seasoning equal parts horseradish and wassabi. sprinkle of garlic powder then thinned down with some white cooking wine.
Flave is good. eye appeal sucks

2nd batch will go into day

Also While i was in store i saw next to the wassabi peas were some southwestern chile style which im gonna hafta try also.
Biggest thing is getting them to not shrink so much
I am going to look for bulk dried peas and see if i can just season them and go that route=omit the dehydrator process.
Alot of recipes i found online said use oven but they all said they shriveled up also. its like the store bought ones and poofed up with air, they are so damn perfectly round

Any ideas:?

LUNCHBOX
04-13-2011, 06:09 AM
Not exactly a recipe but if I am going to kill and cook in the field....I usually have the normal salt/pepper/garlic/paprika in my pack. What I have found out is that you can baste honey on squirrel or rabbit to add some sweetness to cut the gamie taste down. (I can eat it without but the kids are still a little picky right now)

I have made the hardtack by just mixing the flour/salt/pepper and sticking it to a stick by the fire. Its not much on taste but filling. (shave the bark off the stick first if you want)

The Stig
04-13-2011, 12:12 PM
ok keep in mind this is the first time using the dehydrator

1 bag frozen peas. put all on 1 tray, 120 degrees= lil green thing s that taste like wassabi peas BUT still not all the way dry after 8 hours
Took way to long. Next batch, less peas on 1 tray and temp will be 135
Also wait to put on seasoning till towards the end

Seasoning equal parts horseradish and wassabi. sprinkle of garlic powder then thinned down with some white cooking wine.
Flave is good. eye appeal sucks

2nd batch will go into day

Also While i was in store i saw next to the wassabi peas were some southwestern chile style which im gonna hafta try also.
Biggest thing is getting them to not shrink so much
I am going to look for bulk dried peas and see if i can just season them and go that route=omit the dehydrator process.
Alot of recipes i found online said use oven but they all said they shriveled up also. its like the store bought ones and poofed up with air, they are so damn perfectly round

Any ideas:?

I don't have any suggestions but if you figure it out please share. Based on this post I tried some wasabi peas I saw at a stop & rob.

Holy crap are those good. I'm talking take your breath away, lungs on fire, tears in eyes good.

And yes, they were nearly perfectly round with some sort of white stuff on them. Looked like a partially popped piece of popcorn.

piranha2
04-13-2011, 10:00 PM
I hate it when the really good treats have white stuff on them, but most do. And, possum is really fatty, trim it close.

alaska
04-14-2011, 03:56 AM
i think they are deep fried the more i stare at them

CheriG22
04-24-2011, 08:06 PM
Flour Tortilla

2 cups flour
1/4 cup shortening or lard (you can substitute butter) cold
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup warm water

Mix with a fork, spoon or stick, flatten and bake on top of hot rocks. In my BOB I have all the ingredients in ziplock bags or old plastic spice bottles. You can halve the recipe, or even by a fourth. If you cook at all, you will be able to eyeball the amounts needed. A really good bread, doubles as a spoon in a pinch.

Cheri

AlphaTea
05-14-2011, 08:10 AM
Beer Bread

3 cups self rising flour*
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
1 (12-ounce) can of beer (your choice of brand)
*Or you may substitute with 3 cups all purpose (fresh ground wheat) flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoons salt

1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly grease a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray or butter (not the 1/4 cup above).
2. Combine all dry ingredients, mixing well.
3. Add beer and mix only enough so there is nothing dry left
4. Pour into prepared loaf pan
5. Pour the 1/4 cup melted butter over the top of the batter
5. Bake for 1 hour.

Makes 1 loaf.
Darker beers are more 'flavory'. You can mix the butter into the batter for a smoother loaf. Pouring it on top gives it a crusty texture.

RedJohn
05-14-2011, 11:28 AM
Hmmm... this looks good.

AlphaTea
05-18-2011, 07:27 AM
It really is a simple recipe and small changes in ingredients can make a big diff in taste.
BE FOREWARNED THE FOLLOWING IS TRUE AND HAPPENED TO ME!!
I decided to try making some banana nut bread.
Sounds easy enough, I mushed up 2 very ripe bananas and added about 3/4 cup pecans to the above recipe. So far, so good. I poured the 'batter' into the bread pan and noted that the level was just a bit higher than previous loafs I made. No biggie, it'll be OK. I poured the 1/4 cup of butter on top and slid that bad-boy in the oven.
Scenario development part: It is about 0200 when I am baking. I work a rotating shift schedule and it was the night before I started my night schedule. I do a dry run of sorts to acclimate myself to being up at night. Wife unit is fast asleep in the nest with our TAST (Trained Attack Shih-Tzu) by her side.
I lay down on the couch and try to catch up on some DVR stuff from the Wrestling (Formerly known as SYFY, formerly known as Sci-Fi) channel.
The Shark-topus vs Croco-potomus movie really sucked and I dozed off. Next thing I know The smoke detector is going off. A big WTF moment to wake up to. The house is full of smoke. The TAST is going completely nuts because the noise is deafening. I look in the kitchen and see the smoke is bellowing out of the oven. Hmmm.
I opened the back door to let in some of the 10F Feb NY Blizzard air and turned the oven vent to tornado speed (400cfm). Needless to say the house temp went from 60ish to the 40's real quick. The furnace kicks on and spreads the smoke to the whole house. The detectors upstairs and in the basement start going off. POed Wifey appears (with high beams:o) and the "you dumb ass" look on her face. The extra contents in the bread pan got enough 'rise' to push the butter out of the pan and into the bottom of the oven.
It took about 5 minutes to get the alarms to shut off. I think the TAST may need psychiatric help for PTSD.
The bread did have a little extra smokey flavor that time. I have made it since and used a bigger pan.

RedJohn
05-18-2011, 08:18 AM
Yeah, basic stuff, don't sleep while cooking :)

alaska
05-18-2011, 04:37 PM
hahahhahahah. Thats funny I dont care who ya are

beginner
05-19-2011, 03:27 AM
Beer Bread

3 cups self rising flour*
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
1 (12-ounce) can of beer (your choice of brand)
*Or you may substitute with 3 cups all purpose (fresh ground wheat) flour, 1 tablespoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoons salt

1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly grease a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray or butter (not the 1/4 cup above).
2. Combine all dry ingredients, mixing well.
3. Add beer and mix only enough so there is nothing dry left
4. Pour into prepared loaf pan
5. Pour the 1/4 cup melted butter over the top of the batter
5. Bake for 1 hour.

Makes 1 loaf.
Darker beers are more 'flavory'. You can mix the butter into the batter for a smoother loaf. Pouring it on top gives it a crusty texture.

Ohhh! I've used this recipe before, love it! I've tried both adding the butter on top and mixing it in. Both turned out well. I want to try in with some different beers......hmmm.....or Guinness......

Grumpy Old Man
05-19-2011, 04:22 PM
Blackfoot Fry Bread ~ Double Recipe

2 cups warm water
2 packages dry yeast
4 Tablespoons soft butter
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
6 cups white flour

Place water in bowl. Sprinkle yeast over water and allow to stand in a warm place for 5 minutes. Add butter, sugar salt and flour. Knead awhile, adding a tad more water...or flour to proper consistency. It will make a stiff dough. Allow to rise in large bowl covered by a towel in a warm place for 1 hour. Place lard or oil in a large deep sauce pan and heat to almost boiling. Form dough into 4 inch discs about 1/4 inch thick and fry until golden brown on each side. Drain over paper towels on serving plate. Serve with butter, jam, sugar, cinnamon sugar, or what ever you like...or make ³Indian Tacos² as you would any other taco replacing tortillas with fry bread.
Note: Frying in lard is best and make a small hole in the center of each before frying!

Grumpy Old Man
05-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Apache Bread

To make Apache Bread, you will need the following:
1 c White cornmeal
1 c Yellow cornmeal
1 ts Salt
1/2 ts Red pepper
1/2 c Bacon drippings
1 c Boiling water
Green corn husks

Mix dry ingredients; add boiling water and bacon drippings. Form into small rolls and wrap in green corn husks. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Makes 12 individual breads

beginner
05-19-2011, 06:39 PM
Blackfoot Fry Bread ~ Double Recipe

2 cups warm water
2 packages dry yeast
4 Tablespoons soft butter
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
6 cups white flour

Place water in bowl. Sprinkle yeast over water and allow to stand in a warm place for 5 minutes. Add butter, sugar salt and flour. Knead awhile, adding a tad more water...or flour to proper consistency. It will make a stiff dough. Allow to rise in large bowl covered by a towel in a warm place for 1 hour. Place lard or oil in a large deep sauce pan and heat to almost boiling. Form dough into 4 inch discs about 1/4 inch thick and fry until golden brown on each side. Drain over paper towels on serving plate. Serve with butter, jam, sugar, cinnamon sugar, or what ever you like...or make ³Indian Tacos² as you would any other taco replacing tortillas with fry bread.
Note: Frying in lard is best and make a small hole in the center of each before frying!

I make this once in a while to. My dad worked with some natives and they gave him their recipe for bannock (same thing) I usually cook it in lard and once finished cover it it butter and brown sugar. Yum!

AlphaTea
05-19-2011, 09:06 PM
Apache Bread

To make Apache Bread, you will need the following:
1 c White cornmeal
1 c Yellow cornmeal
1 ts Salt
1/2 ts Red pepper
1/2 c Bacon drippings
1 c Boiling water
Green corn husks

Mix dry ingredients; add boiling water and bacon drippings. Form into small rolls and wrap in green corn husks. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Makes 12 individual breads
This sounds like a tamale. Is it similar?

bacpacker
05-19-2011, 10:42 PM
We gotta try these. The wife loves making bread, but we've never tried any of these.

Grumpy Old Man
05-19-2011, 11:54 PM
This sounds like a tamale. Is it similar?

More like a baked cornpone, but spicey. tamaales typically use masa rather than cornmeal.

beginner
05-23-2011, 07:03 AM
Chop into large chunks:
1 yellow pepper
1 orange pepper
1/2 red onion
1 zucchini

Toss into large mixing bowl and add :
1 can whole mushrooms
1 can baby corn
2 garlic cloves

Stir in olive oil. Put in bbq cage and cook to taste. (I also add in Italian seasoning) When finished throw in serving bowl and add in chopped feta cheese. Best served with a nice big T-bone. And, for you single guy out there, if you invite a girl over and make this for dinner, she'll be impressed. Trust me. I know. ;)

AlphaTea
05-23-2011, 08:45 AM
Would you believe I had that last night! Used fresh baby portabellas though. I had a ribeye with mashed purple potatoes to go with it.

JustAPrepper
09-29-2011, 06:05 PM
Made this last fall using some leftover rotisserie chicken but can be made with substitutions:

1 Chicken Bouillion Cube in 2 Cups water...could also substitute boxed/canned Chicken Broth.
Diced Cooked Chicken..substitute canned.
Diced Anaheim Pepper from the garden...substitute a small can of Green Chile's
White Beans from the freezer...substitute canned

Tossed half the beans and everything else in the broth and added Cumin, Ancho Powder, Cayenne, an itty-bitty bit of Cinnamon (an interesting twist I found on a recipe website - definitely worth it!), Oregano, Salt and White Pepper. I mashed the other half of the beans to use as a thickener and added them. Let it simmer a bit. Totally yummy with a nice "heat" factor to it.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh140/Julie-Girl/FOOD%20PHOTOS/7681dd1f.jpg

bacpacker
09-30-2011, 12:16 AM
Well now that looks very tasty. We'll have to try that, have to substitute fresh serrano's for the Anahiems.

Grumpy Old Man
10-03-2011, 06:16 PM
If you want some real heat BP try grilling those serranos -they will really light you up that way! For Anaheims, try roasting to get the skin to peel off. then slit open near the topn, spoon out seeds, stuff with mild cheddar or monterey jack, dip in beaten eggs and roll in a stiff beer batter, fry and garnish with a green tomatillo sauce with grated cheese. That is a chile relleno. Serve with rice and beans.

bacpacker
10-04-2011, 12:19 AM
I love grilled serranos. I gotta try some of this stuff out. It all really sounds good.

ladyhk13
05-26-2013, 06:03 AM
Bannock is the traditional bread of Canada and the Northwest. Native people had no access to flour prior to the arrival of European traders, although some flour substitutes existed, like wild turnips or corn, dried and ground to a powder.

Bannock actually originated in Scotland. Because bannock could be quickly prepared from readily available ingredients, and because these ingredients lasted a long time without spoiling, bannock became a staple of European fur traders and subsequently, the native people also.

Bannock recipe

1 c flour

4 tsp double-acting baking powder

2 Tbs powdered skim milk

Stir ingredients together; stir in water to make dough moist. Knead dough until smooth. Place in greased cast iron skillet or Dutch oven and bake it about five to 10 minutes over the campfire or on coals until it is brown on the bottom, then flip it, and brown the other side.

A handy way to prepare for a backpacking or hiking trip is to mix all the dry ingredients in a Ziplock bag. Just add 1/2 cup water and knead in the bag. Then take out the dough, finish kneading and spread it in the pan.

(Practice baking the bannock by the campfire. Put the dough in a greased skillet, and place it near the campfire, propped at about a 60-degree angle with a stick. When the side nearest the fire browns, flip the bread and brown the other side. In a pinch you could bake it on a plank!)

http://survivalcommonsense.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/2010-trail-food-illustrations-006-300x200.jpg

RJ what kind of consistency does this bread have? Is it more of a biscuit? Heavy/light?

Sniper-T
05-28-2013, 02:00 AM
Just a little heavier than a tea bisquit. and it is awesome. I probably eat more bannock than regular bread.

ladyhk13
05-29-2013, 07:50 PM
What is the difference between double acting yeast and regular yeast? I have LOTS of regular yeast so do I have to go buy something new instead?