PDA

View Full Version : Doomsday Preppers Amended

Patmark
02-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Hi everyone, I was in a ton of pain last night and couldn't get comfortable in the bed so I went out to the couch as it's a bit softer, anyhow as I laid down I turned on the tube and guess what show came on? ;) You guessed it, Doomsday Preppers. As I watched these people it occurred to me that perhaps I was a bit hasty in my original assessment of these programs. I still draw the line at Zombies however, :p.

As I watched the show a few thoughts struck me and so I thought I would share these with anyone that is interested in them.

The first couple that they showed have done a great job of setting up a safe location, (Its well defended, stocked with adequate supplies, and has multiple water sources and backups for everything). They also had plans in place to bug out and take a considerable amount of their supplies with them. The trouble that I have with the first example of preppers and what they fail to tell people is these people must have had an awful lot of money to spend on prepping. As I added up the costs of just my estimate of the land, shelter, and transportation that they had on hand I found myself arriving at a completely impossible number, at least in my case, Something like 100,000 dollars +. Most likely much more than that. Sorry guys but if I am going to spend that kind of money I'm going to build a fortress on top of a mountain someplace surrounded by a moat and with all of the comforts of life installed to run off of solar and wind energy ect. ect like the rich and famous are doing. It was a great example of how to prep but it fails to take into consideration that most people are not privy to that kind of money.

The second guy was interesting as well but while this guy was extremely smart about quite alot of things and had taught himself a whole lot of very valuable skills as I could see, he clearly hadn't thought his situation through quite thoroughly enough. Yes he knew some plants that he could eat, and he has taught himself how to survive by using nature as it was intended to be used which I found admirable, however he apparently thinks that he is going to be able to do it in the middle of L.A. without any weapons and without leaving the city, (at least that's how they portrayed him), and he also believes that he will survive alone. I'm sorry but anyone who thinks that they can survive a societal collapse by themselves is only fooling themselves and will most surely perish.

The last girl that they showed I thought was the most realistic portrayal of the average prepper. She was unable to afford to just go out and buy everything that she needed so she has slowly accumulated things a little at a time. She was learning and practicing new and valuable skills, and she was being proactive. The biggest problem I saw with her idea of prepping was that her plans were unrealistic and mostly based on stereotypical ideas that she has read on the internet. I'm sorry guys but this sweet, intelligent, well fit girl is just not going to be able to just sit around in her high rise apartment for 14 days and then hike out of the city to her safe vehicle, ( which by the way will most likely not be there when she arrives), and then get in and drive to Mexico, but she truly believes that she will. I think that this is one of the biggest mistakes that people are making in regards to preparing themselves. Oh ya and once again she is yet another prepper that thinks that she will make it alone.

All in all though I guess shows like this do have their purpose and the preppers that were on the show probably have more than enough money to prep even more now and buy everything that they think they should have, I just hope that in the end it turns out to be enough for them. Just my .02.

PM :cool:

realist
02-23-2012, 06:38 PM
I like the one where the guy shoots off his thumb, it did not show how but did show the healing process. It just give fuel to those that think preppers are a bunch of kooks running around with guns and are a danger to everyone.

There is a guy on another forum that I frequent who said he was at a self reliant expo last year and the producers were looking for people who prepped to the extreme. As he said if it bleeds it leads and all they wanted to do was get people to watch.

AlphaTea
02-23-2012, 09:26 PM
Isn't that the same girl who said she would have at least 3 months before she had to start whoring herself out?
Talked about a boyfriend, but he did not seem to be involved in her preps except for offing her cats when the time came.
Easy prey.
At the end of that episode (and a few months later) she did come back and say that she enlisted in the military so that she would get some training to be better prepared. Smartest thing she did on that show.

I have heard of the cargo container houses before, and they are rather cheap per sq ft, but their "compound" looked like a junkyard to me. WTF?!! shooting at your house to see if it can take a 22lr shell? BFD. Numbskulls. All of their food in one place? Foolish. They said they cooked 3 meals at a time and stored 2. They need to rotate more than that. I did like the fact that they ran drills and had a group of people or a "circle of friends" for support.

Some of the critiques and comments at the end of each review were the most helpful part of the show.

Wifey told me not to yell at the nice folks on TV, they cant hear me. She is my best prep.

mollypup
02-24-2012, 01:08 PM
I watched one about the couple living in NYC in an apartment and had several cases of MRE's. He also had some sort of giant water bag in his bathtub that he filled up during a drill. They were planning on bugging in and timed themselves doing some things in and around their apartment but the whole time I was thinking, "You guys need to move out of the apartment and far away from the city or you aren't going to make it no matter how many MRE's you have stored and how much water is in your bathroom".

My situation is far from perfect, but at least I have a little yard space, some nice neighbors and some seeds. It's not great but I figure it could be a lot worse too.

rentprop1
02-24-2012, 01:31 PM
I still draw the line at Zombies however, :p.

I'm not gonna spend all day trying to convince you, but even Emergency Management folks and people at the CDC have written amendments to their emergency plans to include some type of Zombie plan...if that's not enough think of a mutated rabies virus that would spread by a bite or scratch.....it may not all terminate life above the brain stem or make us wanna chew on each other ( thats Hollywood ) but things could get bad enough that it has health science workers now considering it .....

bacpacker
02-24-2012, 09:54 PM
EMA's have plans for so many more senario's than you would ever imagine.

I'm still of the opinion that the DDP show is showing in some cases extreme cases, in some cases using the politically correct lines to do it. While I'm not sure any of the folks shown so far (and I'll admit I have watched each episode and DVR'd for future review) are doing everything they should be, how many of us are? I have a long ways to go to say the least. I do try and pick out things I like from each group, such as the family that had the machining capability, the familes in South Carolina that are growing their own food, setting up what looked to me like a decent defensive set up. I also pick to death the things they are doing wrong (at least what is being shown) and compare that to what we are doing to see where I can improve.
At a minimum it holds some interest to me, surely more than most crap on TV. I feel like if I learn 1 or 2 things per show that will help me later, it was time well spent.

Zombiehuntereky
02-28-2012, 07:14 PM
I like it to get new ideas and such but I swear some of those people are retarded.

TEOTWAWKI13
03-05-2012, 02:11 PM
I'm not gonna spend all day trying to convince you, but even Emergency Management folks and people at the CDC have written amendments to their emergency plans to include some type of Zombie plan...if that's not enough think of a mutated rabies virus that would spread by a bite or scratch.....it may not all terminate life above the brain stem or make us wanna chew on each other ( thats Hollywood ) but things could get bad enough that it has health science workers now considering it .....

In large part because the CDC is working on "proteins" that attack brain cells and leave subjects in a zombie like state of mind. I kid you not. Their working to create zombies.

Just had a guy in Cali arrested and placed on 72 hr watch because he had 100 guns and 100k rounds of ammo. Like that's a lot! Pfft!

realist
03-05-2012, 04:21 PM
"Just had a guy in Cali arrested and placed on 72 hr watch because he had 100 guns and 100k rounds of ammo. Like that's a lot! Pfft!"

Was that for his weekend shoot???? They need to watch when he gets out tooooooo

TEOTWAWKI13
03-05-2012, 07:51 PM
"Just had a guy in Cali arrested and placed on 72 hr watch because he had 100 guns and 100k rounds of ammo. Like that's a lot! Pfft!"

Was that for his weekend shoot???? They need to watch when he gets out tooooooo

Essentially, he was just like me and you...except he's got a nosey neighbor who played the "see something say something" game with the govt

Sniper-T
03-05-2012, 11:19 PM
In large part because the CDC is working on "proteins" that attack brain cells and leave subjects in a zombie like state of mind. I kid you not. Their working to create zombies.

Um... Kinda sorta in a way... but no, not really.

They are working with Proteins, They are working with Stem Cells, but the Main goal of the research is far from Zombie creation! Seriously... this research may just save a few hundred million lives! (for good or bad)

Zombie Creation is just one of the the added bonuses! (collateral damage)

wingnutx
03-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Isn't that the same girl who said she would have at least 3 months before she had to start whoring herself out?

Talked about a boyfriend, but he did not seem to be involved in her preps except for offing her cats when the time came.

Easy prey.

She was heavily edited to make her look like she was saying some crazy stuff, per her statements elsewhere.

For example, Her statement about lasting 3 months was actually a different conversation from her saying that many women would whore themselves out. The production company put those two sound bites in line so that it came off as her saying she'd whore herself out in 3 months.

Same with the cats. She actually detailed to them that they'd stored food for the cats, but would let them loose when the food an out, and would put them down as a last resort if it was completely hopeless. They edited it to make her look eager to shoot poor kitteh in the head. The producer actually offered her $1000 to shoot the cat, which she declined.

Her boyfriend is a prepper, but wisely decided that he didn't want to be a part of the show.

If you give someone ten minutes of video on a variety of subjects they can make you come off any way they want. If you appear on one of these shows they will do their best to make you look like a loon.

Mollypup: the water bag in the tub is called a "water bob (http://www.waterbob.com/Welcome.do;jsessionid=9A5496D9791B2F8E09B412B8AFC7 568A)".

realist
03-10-2012, 03:00 AM
You mean to tell me that the producers would stoop so low that they would edit stuff to make these people look mean and nasty. Well I never would have believed it. So that would mean that the are just a POS.......

Optimist
03-10-2012, 03:08 AM
Protiens. "Prions" are little bits of protien poison, harder to destroy than cockroaches in a New York apartment house. They are naturally occuring, tend to accumulate in brain tissue, are responsible for 'koro' disease among the Pacific cannibals, and for mad cow disease among the British....