PDA

View Full Version : Dental Health

apssbc
02-23-2012, 10:30 PM
Posting this because I just came from the dentist today. I have not been there in over four years, after having my wisdom teeth pulled and having a bad experience I had not gone back. Finally the girlfriend convinced me to go. I walked out with no cavities but some pretty sore gums.

Moral of this experience is to take care of your teeth. I am going to start going every six months again. The hygienist told me I wasnt in too bad of shape for not going. She explained how my brushing was very good, but I sucked at flossing...ps I dont ;). There was some tartar build up along my gum lines that was pretty bad. Mind you I had no idea because I actually have fairley white teeth. The scraping took a while.

So it got me to thinking post shtf we need to plan for more than just brushing and flossing. Granted it got me by four years with no issues but eventually it will bite you in the ass. So lets hear what your plans are for dental health post shtf?

Personally I have alot of tooth paste, mouth wash, floss, and tooth brushes stocked, but thats about it for my dental preps. I also have a copy of the book "Where there is no dentist." That sums mine up lets hear what you got.

The Stig
02-23-2012, 11:19 PM
Chinook Dental Kit (http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/item/01350/m-travel/-Dental-%28TMM-DE%29--------------------------------)

Chinook Tactical Medical Module - Dental (TMMTM-DE)
NSN: 6520-01-565-3926
DAPA: SP0200-08-H-0030
CEC: SPM2D0-09-D-0009

The TMMTM-DE provides everything needed to treat Dental Emergencies in the field. Vacuum packed in a resealable zip closure bag for easy access and storage.

Contents:

2 Nitrile Gloves, Large, OD
2 Nitrile Gloves, Medium, OD
1 Mouth Mirror
1 Dental Floss, 25 yd. OD
1 Wax Stick
1 Spatula
4 Toothpicks
1 Tweezers
3 Orasol Packet
1 Clove Oil (Eugenol)
1 Dentemp OS (Filling Material)
1 Actcel Hemostatic Gauze, 2" x 2"
10 Cotton Pellets
5 Cotton Roll
3 Gauze Dressing, 3"x3", 2's
8 Ibuprofen, 200 mg Tablet
1 Hazardous Waste Bag
1 Instructions

http://www.chinookmed.com/mas_assets/full/01350.jpg

Or if that fails....

This:

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNXzRlxPU5HoE-ojfOTSMb4sB2OQzkR2mjs2f-cVGfWutBYnEK

+

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_FyMqcudm6QF7nJozQYgzHxuV750fV xRy2TY5hcCD2IXHOFnxgw

The Stig
02-23-2012, 11:20 PM
I'm in the same boat. Haven't been in probably 5+ years. I've forgotten actually its been so long.

We need to stock up on toothpaste and floss because I hear nothing can knock you out like a toothache.

Great reminder.

apssbc
02-23-2012, 11:31 PM
Awesome kit for emergencies I will order a few of those in the near future. What about long term upkeep, Cleanings and the such? This experience has got me thinking, I think I will be delving into where there is no dentist, since I havent read that yet.

bacpacker
02-24-2012, 12:12 AM
You got me to. It's been several years since I've been to a dentist myself. And this is one area of our preps we are sorely lacking in. I will be getting the chinook kit. It looks pretty good.
I have downloaded WTIN dentist. haven't had a chance to read it yet.
As far as a toothache putting you out of action, I can tell you for certain IT CAN. I got an abcessed tooth 20+ years ago, started the morning off helping a buddy move into a new house. I started hurting my noon. By 5pm I was in a lot of pain and had no painkillers at home, so I sent the wife out to get something to drink. She brought back a bottle of wild turkey and I proceeded to drink until the pain let up. Needless to say I was shitfaced by this point. I woke up about 5am in worse pain than I was in the day before, plus I was hungover. We were able to get a emergency office visit set up with a dentist in the group we went to.
I ended up with a root canal which sucked in itself but eventually eased the pain, I can say in no uncertain terms, if the SHTF in that situation I would have been screwed no two ways about it.

izzyscout21
02-24-2012, 03:57 AM
I shudder to think about dental health in an emergency........ I think that would be worse than getting sick

ladyhk13
02-24-2012, 04:25 AM
Just remember to rotate your toothpaste because it DOES go bad.

mollypup
02-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Personally I have alot of tooth paste, mouth wash, floss, and tooth brushes stocked, but thats about it for my dental preps. I also have a copy of the book "Where there is no dentist." That sums mine up lets hear what you got.

Dental hygiene is one of my BIGGEST concerns come SHTF time. I've got what you have plus I bought some clove oil and zinc oxide powder to make fillings if I need too. PLEASE get in the habit of flossing every day to keep your teeth and gums healthy. They shouldn't bleed while flossing. Gosh! Just thinking about it makes me want to go brush and floss right now lol!

Btw, I had a terrible toothache a couple of years ago due to a cavity I let go too long. It was one of the most horrible experiences I've ever had. Toothaches will literally knock you on your ass. And you can't lie down either because it forces more blood into the tooth and hence more pain! I had to sit up all weekend before I could go to the dentist!

Grumpy Old Man
02-24-2012, 05:46 PM
I'm in the process of rebuilding my mouth. Because I'm seasoned my teeth are cracked and I have had some cavities. The worst one was under a 20 year old crown. I can tell you that I really was a grumpy sumbeach with that one. I also have one incisor that has a groove in it from biting my fishing line over the years. So, my prep focus this year is investing in my mouth and getting my crowns etc replaced.

Baking soda and salt making a good toothpaste substitute. I also have some pepsodent tooth powder that I get in Missouri whenever I'm back there. But usually I use Arm and Hammer toothpaste because, as I remarked in another thread, I'm getting lazy in my old age, to the point where I am using an ultrasonic toothbrush.

ladyhk13
02-24-2012, 11:41 PM
Baking soda and salt making a good toothpaste substitute.

You can add hydrogen peroxide to that instead of water.

mitunnelrat
02-25-2012, 02:40 AM
I was much the same as the rest of you, figuring that since things looked ok and didn't hurt that I'd be alright, but, I had a serious caffeine addiction on top of that. Taking care of the damage I've caused to myself through that combination of neglect and Mountain Dew is one of my top three priorities this year. This is another of my "don't be like me" stories.

I'd highly urge anyone who's been putting it off to go get checked out. Imo, preventative medicine now is one of the best, if not "The. Best." preps you can make for dental care following a large scale shtf event

That damage I mentioned above didn't happen overnight, but it also wasn't visibly evident until just over a year ago. I've had multiple visits to the dentist since, including one emergency root canal. The constant wash of sugar from in the soda worked to erode the enamel, and personal experience suggests that by time you can see that its done so you're in for quite a bit of work, and at great expense. Better to actively work at prevention now than deal with preventable pain in the future...

I have learned a few things in researching this though. Like you can tell if you're brushing too hard by checking the lower front teeth. If the gum line appears to be receding, lighten up the pressure or try a softer bristle brush. My dentist recommended a sonicare brush, and its been one of the best investments I've ever made. Next best might be a standard electric tooth brush, imo at least. they quit working if you press down too hard. The downside is you'll need batteries or a power supply to run them.

My next observation is that the flosser picks seem to be more user friendly than traditional floss. I like them better, and as a dollar store item they're easy to stock. Some are better than others, but all have seemed better than using both hands to manipulate a loose string.

Also, check the toothpaste you're choosing to use and stock. I can't remember exactly what they do to damage your teeth, but some of the whitening brands especially will (reportedly) do more harm than good.

Ora-gel. It works. I can't recommend highly enough having it on hand. I carry some in my boo boo kit now.

I'll have more later probably, much of this was off the top of my head, and I too should be reading "Where There Is No Dentist."

Kodiak
02-25-2012, 03:21 AM
Speaking of oral emergencies, ive been suffering with an exposed nerve for the last week and a half and yes it blows. I went about 10yrs without going to the dentist and had my first cavity last year, actually had 6 of them. Got a root canal scheduled for this coming monday so hopefully that will kill the pain. After this experience ive stocked a lot of dental supplies in my med kit, mainly lots of ora-gel and dentemp.

Katrina
02-25-2012, 03:52 AM
Also make sure you get a good dentist. Parents took us kids to dentist that ruined my teeth. Found out as adult he lost his license. I no longer have any molars and crowns for most of front teeth. Am looking at implants and trying to save what teeth I have left.

Taz Baby
03-07-2013, 01:02 AM
Just something that I had on file that I needed to print and thought I would share.

Modern popular opinion often falsely believes that dental health is solely a localized issue. But even if someone has impeccable oral hygiene, meaning that they brush and floss every day, use mouth washes, etc., tooth decay and gum disease can still be an issue. Thus, we need to take a more holistic approach to dental health and understand that it is a systemic issue as well as a localized issue.

Holistic Dental Health & How to Make Herbal Mouth Wash

file:///C:/Users/Connie/Documents/home%20remedy%27s/Holistic%20Dental%20Health%20&%20How%20to%20Make%20Herbal%20Mouth%20Wash%20-%20HerbMentor.htm

Evolver
03-08-2013, 10:19 PM
When push come to shove and the only remedy is to pull a tooth don't use anything but vice grips. They work much mo beta than pliers so you might want to add a set to your dental kit. (talking form experience because I had no other choice and it's not as bad as one might think)

http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/038548/038548007045lg.jpg

msomnipotent
03-09-2013, 04:40 PM
Funny Taz brought this up. I just found out that I have to have skin grafts on at least 5 teeth to the cost of at least $1,700 (and I have dental insurance!). I take care of my teeth. I brush and floss every day, go to the dentist twice a year, etc. I even had all of my old mercury fillings replaced with new composites. I thought I was all set, mouthwise, for the S hitting the fan. Last check up was perfect. Six months later and I need surgery! They think it was caused by my electric toothbrush and I might be grinding my teeth at night. Sooo...

So far I have clove oil for pain, oil of oregano in case of infection, fish meds, a year supply of paste, brushes (non-motorized), mouthwash, and floss, so many cotton balls that when I die someone will think that I had some sort of mental problem, and I have the dental kit on my Amazon wish list. It will have to wait until after I get a water filter.

realist
03-09-2013, 09:09 PM
Every six months I go in. I had my first cavity when I was 3 years old so I have a very long history with the dentist. When I was in my early 20's I had my wisdom teeth taken out just in case..... Now it is just maintenance. We stockpile toothpaste and rotate it constantly. I think I will be looking for some tooth powder along with everything else. The nice thing is the kids are old enough to use whatever we get because they do not want to have to buy it........

I second Chinook Medical

David Armstrong
05-24-2013, 04:31 PM
I did one run where I didn't go to the dentist for several years. Even then the teeth were OK, but it took two very painful visits to get all the plaque and stuff removed that had built up over that time. Since then I go every year for a full check and cleaning. Preventive maintenance is a good thing. Thta applies ot medical also....how many are up to date on all their shots, have had a tetanus booster, and so on??

Rumbleman1
06-01-2013, 03:35 AM
Dental decay is the number 1most common infection! In fact, it was probably the biggest reason for a shorter life span in the 1800's. Add to that the key role teeth play in the beginning of the digestive process, and you can deduce that good dental health increases your chances for good nutrition and a better chance for survival when SHTF.

If nothing else, good looking teeth makes for a good looking smile. Maybe you will appear more approachable when finding a group to work with during a WROL scenario.

Katrina
06-01-2013, 04:04 AM
One suggestion, get a good water pick. I've been using one for last three months (courtesy of the dentist) You wouldn't believe what come out from under the gum line even AFTER brushing and flossing real good.

msomnipotent
06-04-2013, 04:03 AM
One suggestion, get a good water pick. I've been using one for last three months (courtesy of the dentist) You wouldn't believe what come out from under the gum line even AFTER brushing and flossing real good.

I read that in an article somewhere. I want to get one because it is hard to hold floss sometimes (for me, anyway), but something else always comes up that needs the money more.

Taz Baby
06-07-2013, 01:25 PM
I have a bad tooth that has often and on given me trouble. I hate dentist so I only go when a tooth needs pulling. I have had a tooth ache since Wednesday and was traveling so I couldn't do much for it except gargle with peroxide and anbesol. My jaw is swollen and it hurts like hell. Now that I am home, I can get to my herbs and last night I put clove oil on the affected area and went to bed, bad mistake. I woke up several times in the night and finally got up at 4:00 am to take my willow bark tincture for pain and inflammation. (The clove oil worked I just forgot about the willow bark for pain.) Now the swelling is going down and I am pain free. (15 min after taking the willow bark) I should of done the tincture last night. Here is the link on how I made the willow bark tincture and what it is used for. I have willow trees so I got the bark from them, but you can buy it from http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/

Links:::::::::::::::::
Clove oil http://www.anniesremedy.com/chart_remedy.php?rem_ID=234

Tea
http://www.motherearthliving.com/natural-health/make-white-willow-bark-tea-for-pain-relief.aspx#axzz2VXF807QE

Tincture
http://mountainroseblog.com/guide-tinctures-extracts/

http://firstways.com/2011/04/12/how-to-make-willow-bark-medicine/

This is the one I used to make my tinctures
http://en.heilkraeuter.net/herbs/willow.htm

bacpacker
06-07-2013, 02:43 PM
Good information Taz . Thanks

Onestep
06-07-2013, 03:50 PM
Use these too when you cannot floss.

http://doctorsnightguard.com/products/brushpicks/overview