PDA

View Full Version : 55 gallon water barrels--keep from freezing?

Bluebird
02-23-2012, 11:24 PM
I have recently acquired 2 more 55 gal. water barrels. My question is this. Is there a way to keep them from freezing. I have 4 of them in my house & no room for more. I have a barn where I could put them. I live where it gets below zero during the winter.

I have been told that they can freeze if you don't fill them full. I really don't want them to freeze, unless I have no other choice. Could they be wrapped in blankets, foam or whatever. My question to that is, would it work. Would appreciate any suggestions. I hate to only fill them during the summer. Our winters are so long. If this would help. I live in the Bear Lake valley. Long, Long winters. Thanks for your help

Bluebird

bacpacker
02-24-2012, 12:30 AM
I'm not sure of your temps, but something to consider would be to store the barrels in the barn and surround them several layers deep on all sides and top with bales of hay or straw. It would insulate the barrels, but I'm not sure how long it would keep them from freezing. Maybe would do enough to just get slushy?????
I am interested in seeing what every one else has to say.

Taz Baby
02-24-2012, 12:53 AM
Maybe put a insulated hot-water blanket around them. Why don't you want them to freeze? It shouldn't hurt them any. Are you needing to use the water through the winter? We have a water tank in a little shed that is insulated with 2" Styrofoam and we wrapped the tank with a hot water heater blanket. It does not freeze and we had 12degrees this winter.

Bluebird
02-24-2012, 02:16 AM
Maybe put a insulated hot-water blanket around them. Why don't you want them to freeze? It shouldn't hurt them any. Are you needing to use the water through the winter? We have a water tank in a little shed that is insulated with 2" Styrofoam and we wrapped the tank with a hot water heater blanket. It does not freeze and we had 12degrees this winter.

I really don't know why I don't want them to freeze. The 4 I have in the house, 2 can be used for drinking, the other 2 are for washing only. Maybe I
am just being overly concerned needing water. We can get down to -25 here. I just need to relax & not worry about them freezing. The 55 gal barrel are not the only containers of water we have. Thank you for your comments everyone.

helomech
02-24-2012, 02:20 AM
How about a de icer.

Tank Deicers & Heated Bowls (http://www.petvetsupply.com/tadehe.html)

GunnerMax
02-24-2012, 02:52 AM
What about burying them in the ground deep enough to where the ground doesnt freeze? Dont forget to properly protect them from the elements?

Bluebird
02-24-2012, 03:03 AM
What about burying them in the ground deep enough to where the ground doesnt freeze? Dont forget to properly protect them from the elements?

Great idea, thank you

Bluebird
02-24-2012, 03:05 AM
How about a de icer.

Tank Deicers & Heated Bowls (http://www.petvetsupply.com/tadehe.html)

I have no idea what they are, but they sound great. I will have to check into them. Thanks

ladyhk13
02-24-2012, 03:43 AM
I would think that your main issue is not to fill them all the way so the water has room for expansion and just put straw/hay all around them if you don't need to use them during the winter. If you need to use the water then you might want to look at a way to keep it from freezing. What exactly do you want to use it for?

Bluebird
02-24-2012, 04:05 AM
I would think that your main issue is not to fill them all the way so the water has room for expansion and just put straw/hay all around them if you don't need to use them during the winter. If you need to use the water then you might want to look at a way to keep it from freezing. What exactly do you want to use it for?

They will be for drinking. I know that if I don't fill them to the top ,they will be okay. as far as freezing. I guess my concern is if we need the water for drinking. They will have to go into the barn no matter what. I was wondering if anyone knew what to cover them with. I guess I will cover them with what I can & see what happens. I can't bury them, because we hit water 3 to 4 feet down. I will just take my chances, who knows maybe they will be okay if covered good. Thank you

ladyhk13
02-24-2012, 04:18 AM
Do you have the origional tops with them? I have a rain barrel that I leave outside all year. This year has been warm but last year was freezing cold. If you put the tops on them (or create a good solid top) and clump them together (more water mass would take longer to freeze) and stack bales of hay around and on top of them in some sort of building you should be fine. Some of it may freeze but overall you should be fine. You could go and purchase home insulation (the kind you roll out - pink stuff) but I would cover the barrels with some sort of big garbag bag first so no fiberglass gets into the water, and tape it around each barrel. Just a thought.

helomech
02-24-2012, 11:51 AM
I have no idea what they are, but they sound great. I will have to check into them. Thanks

I use them for all my animal water. They only turn on at freezing conditions and seem to work great.

AlphaTea
02-24-2012, 01:45 PM
Keep 2 barrels in the house and the rest in the barn.
Fill the ones in the barn no more than 3/4 full. Let them freeze.
When SHTF you have 110 gallons available for immediate use.
You can bring in the barn barrels a couple of days before you need them and thaw them out.
Frozen water barrels roll relatively easy. Doorways are another story. A barrel cart/heavy duty hand truck makes it easier

Bluebird
02-24-2012, 03:22 PM
Thank you for all of the suggestions. At least I have a start of what I can do.

Bluebird

Bluebird
02-24-2012, 03:24 PM
This is great. Never thought about how easy they would roll, frozen. As far as getting them in the door, where there is a will there is a way. Thank you

Bluebird

Bluebird
02-24-2012, 03:26 PM
I use them for all my animal water. They only turn on at freezing conditions and seem to work great.

They sound great. Even though we live in the farming country, we are city folk. Where would I purchase them. Thanks

Bluebird

helomech
02-24-2012, 04:06 PM
They sound great. Even though we live in the farming country, we are city folk. Where would I purchase them. Thanks

Bluebird

Not sure where we got ours, but that link I posted should have them for sale.

Grumpy Old Man
02-24-2012, 05:14 PM
When water freezes it expands to ~110% of its volume in its liquid state. Therefore if you fill the barrel full it will crack the barrel as it freezes. here at our concrete plant we use a heat blanket to keep our admixtures from freezing. You could also use a tank heater like we do to keep the water from freezing. Or you could use a recirculating pump because moving water doesn't freeze as quickly. But, all these methods require a significant energy input. If that is not an issue then this options are viable. If not, you might want to consider letting it freeze.

madpiper
02-25-2012, 02:10 AM
Saw this on Doomsday Preppers so I have no clue if it works BUT, paint them black (or get black ones) and put them in a small greenhouse. Allegedly they will actually conduct heat AND heat the greenhouse at the same time. Sounds feasible, might be worth a try. I would think you would need actual glass in the greenhouse, not plastic sheeting as the glass should magnify the sun.

Bluebird
02-26-2012, 02:16 AM
Saw this on Doomsday Preppers so I have no clue if it works BUT, paint them black (or get black ones) and put them in a small greenhouse. Allegedly they will actually conduct heat AND heat the greenhouse at the same time. Sounds feasible, might be worth a try. I would think you would need actual glass in the greenhouse, not plastic sheeting as the glass should magnify the sun.

Great Idea. Saw the Preppers & forgot about this. Thanks for the reminder

AlphaTea
02-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Some things for consideration:
This sound like a good idea,
but AFAIK there are no black plastic drums that are made for potable water (human consumption).
Pretty sure potable water is blue or white/natural only and virgin poly (no recycled stuff). This does not mean that all blue or white drums are OK for pot water. The reason for no recycle stuff is you cannot guarantee how the poly was previously used.

If you paint it black it can get very hot in the summer but is very susceptible to algae growth and other bugs which is one reason you dont see black poly water barrels.

If you are using it for plants or livestock, you should be OK

I gotta say I have heard it both ways about freezing barrels, yea and nay. Mostly OK though. Just dont fill more than 80 or 90% and dont freeze all of your water. Try it and get back to us. Real world experience is priceless.

Sniper-T
02-27-2012, 03:05 PM
Coming from another part of the world with extended below average temps... If they do freeze on you, with a space or not, it is possible that they will split open. I know many people who use these in their barn, hooked to a demand system for the horses. Helomechs link for the de-icers is a good one, and really the only option around here. Insulation just delays the inevitable... it'll slow the cooling/freezing, but unless your barn stays above freezing, insulation will not stop the contents (especially a liquid) from becoming the same temp as the ambient air.