PDA

View Full Version : Hitting the woods this weekend

izzyscout21
02-24-2012, 04:04 AM
I plan on getting out in the woods for a day or two over the weekend to test and review a few things.

So far I'm testing out my Marine Corps Combat tent and my APCU Level 7 cold weather clothes.

Anyone have anything they would like to see tested or done over my trip?

Evolver
02-24-2012, 04:19 AM
I missed that Duel Survival episode when Dave cauterized a self inflicted wound with gun powder. Wa cha think?

izzyscout21
02-24-2012, 04:23 AM
^^i've got a nasty gouge cut on my hand.............

Evolver
02-24-2012, 04:36 AM
And I'm sure you have a bullet or two for the powder. :p

bacpacker
02-24-2012, 11:48 AM
Have a good trip. We need pics when u get back.

The Stig
02-24-2012, 11:52 AM
Do you have any trioxane fuel tabs?

I don't *think* MI was able to test those out on one of his adventures and I'm rather curious to see how they perform.

Taz Baby
02-24-2012, 11:52 AM
be careful, don,t go alone and take wet gear it's going to be a wet nasty coldweekend.

izzyscout21
02-24-2012, 01:14 PM

I don't *think* MI was able to test those out on one of his adventures and I'm rather curious to see how they perform.

Yes, I do. Want me too cook something with them?

izzyscout21
02-24-2012, 01:19 PM
be careful, don,t go alone and take wet gear it's going to be a wet nasty coldweekend.

No problem. I NEVER go alone. I have two little friends by the same of Sig Sauer and Spike's Tactical that go with me everywhere. LOL

On a serious note, I dont have time to travel and take all my crap to some campground in BFE. Seeing as this is winter, I'm heading over to the BOL where I can just minutes away from help if I need it, or packing up if the situation calls for it.

rice paddy daddy
02-24-2012, 02:51 PM
Yes, I do. Want me too cook something with them?
I'm old school - a pinch of C-4 works nice.
(unfortunately I have none laying around, though)

mitunnelrat
02-24-2012, 10:19 PM

Actually, I did. If I remember correctly it wasn't as effective as the esbit fuel tabs. It would be good to see a second opinion on them though. I'll try to find the post and link it for you.

izzy, if you still have the spax I'd like to see it thrown while you do a backwards flip... :D

digdug18
02-25-2012, 03:08 PM
Will you be trying to drink your pee or give yourself a dirty water enema?

izzyscout21
02-25-2012, 03:16 PM
Will you be trying to drink your pee or give yourself a dirty water enema?

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/random%20thread/Demotivational-pictures-wtf_Tree.jpg

izzyscout21
02-25-2012, 07:20 PM
Well, due to an illness in the family, this weekends trip is postponed. Hope to reschedule for next week or the week after.

mitunnelrat
02-25-2012, 09:05 PM
I know how that goes all too well. Hopefully, she (ewag?) gets well soon.

bacpacker
02-25-2012, 11:15 PM
My nephew came up for the weekend and he and I and the wife took a hike today. Weather was great, just windy, We did a little better than 5 miles and had a decent work out, It was all uphill going in so some good cardio. We worked on map and compass today. I'v gotten the wife to a decent state with all that. Nephew did pretty good today, a few more trips and he should be good to go. We also had a lengthy discussion on supplies and possible bug out senarios.

Stig on a different note, I have used trioxane in the past for both firestarting and cooking. It works well as a firestarter, but for cooking I wouldn't use it for much more than heating up water or a can of something. I could never get it hot enough to boil water. I still have some stocked, but rarely ever use it.

The Esbit fuel on the other hand is a top notch firestarer. Since i just have gotten this stuff recently I haven't had a chance to try cooking with it yet. I do have to say it burns hotter and somewhat longer than the trioxane does.so I would guess it'll cook decently.

mitunnelrat
02-25-2012, 11:21 PM
Found it
http://www.shtfready.com/general-discussions-prep-related/june-bug-out-exercise-reviews-observations-307.html#post3332

The esbit tab burned for a total of 6 minutes, as opposed to the trioxanes 4 minutes. Neither came to a full boil, but both had bubbles breaking at the end of their burn. The esbit did slightly better here, which I'm sure is directly attributable to its longer burn time. I didn't cook anything with it, but it still worked out since I can drink warmer water much faster than cold.