PDA

View Full Version : Prepping Mindset, And You

ak474u
02-25-2012, 07:39 PM
This is just a string of thoughts I put in-writing today, when thinking of how "Preppers" are viewed, and how we can influence the opinions of others and maybe even save their lives, or our own, by preparing for more likely scenarios, and being an example.

Lately, I've had lots of conversations with people about being prepared, and I've been thinking a lot about how to "Legitimize"
preparedness to people who currently don't prepare for much. This won't be anything earth shattering, but I think it may help someone
talk to others about being prepared, so we don't have to prepare for them to lean on us in a time of need.

Lots of my personal philosophy on preparedness is influenced by my environment, my career field, my hobbies, and the fact that I'm a
news hound. I see examples of people who beat the odds, and survived X encounter by adapting, and overcoming, or through shear tenacity. Preparedness is a no-brainer for me, I know others who feel like something is afoot in our country, like I do, but have no idea
how to justify the monthly outgo of cash to better prepare to a significant other etc.

So here goes:

I said "Legitimizing" preparedness, because it seems like although being prepared for at least local disaster SHTF, or family SHTF
would be an accepted thing, but try getting to the Home Depot 10 minutes after they open on the morning after Fox News announces
the Cat 4 hurricane is headed your way, and try to get a genny, or plywood, and you figure out really fast that being ready for
anything short of cutting one's finger slicing veggies while making dinner, and having band-aids in the kitchen drawer is
a foreign way of thinking for most people. People KNOW what to do, they just don't do it, which eventually affects them negatively.
Everyone seems to relate "prepping" to Mad Max, motorcylces and mohawks type situations that are not going to happen, at least at
first in a SHTF, instead of what happens if the power goes out for 2 weeks and its 20* outisde? Preppers including me, have
brought the stereotype on ourselves, and in the past, I've been guilty of perpetuating it, because I've always been known as a
gun-guy, and nobody knows me as the "year's worth of food guy" (I prefer it that way so no biggie). Having one's eyes open to
the possibilty of EMP, or TEOTWAWKI is absolutely okay for a prepper to be prepared for, but if you run out of water in the first
12 hours of a disaster, and you die, you won't get to play Mad Max with all the MZBs. I feel like whipping on family members to be
prepared, is a waste of time, if WE are not an example, or a "shining city on a hill" type of example for those around us, rather than
being the guy who the neighbors think is a nutbag, or some kinda "crazy veteran waiting for WW3 so he can kill people again"
Doomsday Preppers, has perpetuated the stereotype quite a bit, even though it's semi-fun to watch. If not for the review of
the prepper's gear at the end of each featured group, it would be a complete disaster IMHO. We, as preppers have an opportunity
to make a SHTF go way easier, if we can be an EXAMPLE of WHAT to do, and not a stereotype "crazy survivalist with 50k lbs. food,
and a yard that looks like Sanford & Son because of all the crap we surround ourselves with in the name of preparedness.

Where my ideas on preparedness come from, and how I try to influence others thru examples of my personal preparedness:

I spend a lot of time driving, with nothing else to do, but observe, so lots of my opinions are formulated thru what I see
in an average day on the road, in different environments from multi-family section 8 apartment homes, to 4+ Million dollar neighborhoods,
to Middle Class McMansion neighborhoods. I see examples of lack of preparedness, or organization in all of these people's lives to varying degrees.

What happens if:

Ever driven down the road, and seen an able bodied male walking away from a car with a flat tire to a gas station? Where is his spare tire? Is it inflated? Why Not? This is a form of preparedness, if he gets killed walking down the highway to get help, I assure you, it'll be SHTF for his family. If he loses his job because he didn't make it in that day, he has a financial SHTF to survive. 5 minutes of preparedness avoids a SHTF. Prepare

I see enitre families sitting in their car on the side of the busy highway with the hood up, waiting for help to arrive, What if... A drunk or texting driver veers off the road at the right moment and kills them all, or even just the parents? This can literally change the future of the children, both because they lost their providers, and because their child abuser uncle might get custody of them.. Talk about TEOTWAWKI, If you are in a dangerous situation like this, have you considered the consequemces of keeping your family nearby? If they could have just gotten out of the car, and walked to the gas station, out of the path of 3200 lbs. of drunk driver operated killing machine, lives wouldn't be changed permanently, or even lost.

What if your microwave catches fire while cooking up some tasty hot dogs, and burns your house down because you didn't have a fire extinguisher, or you panic and run outside to wait for help? Lack or preparedness, and lack of ACTION just cost you a house, and your prized
belongings. A $10 fire extinguisher costs lots less than rebuilding your life. The second way to illustrate this is: What if the FD
was snowed in, and never showed up? Prepare

What if you take a "shortcut" that turns out to be a long-cut in the wilderness, and you get stuck miles from help? We've all heard the stories. Do you have a way to fix the car? do you have a means of building a fire? do you have the knowledge to survive until help comes? Is there a ski lodge 1/2 mile up the road that you could save your life, and your family's lives by walking to before freezing temps cause you to be a popsicle found in the spring? Nobody said you should pull a trailer with gear for every eventuality everywhere you go, but how about a lighter, warm coats, a flashlight, a map, and a blanket? Prepare

What if your wife stops breathing? Do you know CPR? do you have a cell phone, and know where you are to call for help? OR do you have to run to the neighbor's house to call for help, while the critical moments pass without oxygen to her brain, causing permanent damage, and a true long-term SHTF for her, and the family, THIS IS TEOTWAWKI. You don't need to take a class in basic life-saving, it's on the Internet. Prepare

What if a grass fire is burning toward your home? Do you have hoses that will reach far enough to defend the structure from catching fire? AND if you're on municipal water, is the draw on the water system by the FD, and your neighbors providing you with enough water pressure to help defend the property? If not, do you have a dead yard, and combustible materials near the home's siding that will catch fire? This is SHTF, I guess not spending that extra money on Concrete siding, instead buying vinyl, and moving the wood pile up next to the house last winter was a bad idea. Welcome to SHTF because you didn't prepare. Prepare

If you've just made a quick stop at Habib's mini-mart after working late, at the corner of Crime Spree and Urine Streets, for a six pack on
the way home, and a a guy with a "Born to lose" tattoo comes in to rob the place. What happens if you left your gun in the car because it was too bulky, or you were just gonna be in there for a second, and nothing could possibly happen? Maybe nothing happens, and you survive, and maybe this dude kills Habib, his pregnant wife, and you because "he aint goin back to prison" I'm not saying you should "Dirty Harry" the guy, but have a means of defense, as well as the mindset to act. Prepare

This kinda goes along with the Magic Gun post I saw, which also triggers thoughts of my neighbors. Your neighbors have guns, they may have more than you, OR, they may have just one or two. They may hunt ducks once a year, and have a nice second hand pump gun, and a box o' birdshot with no thought of self defense use. Do they have any idea whether Grand dad's .22 still works? Have they fired it? do they know where the bullets go? and do they have any ammo? My grandfather's c. 1902 Colt 38, marked US Army, complete with lanyard loop, was loaded in his nightstand for 40 years. Upon his death, we removed it from the house because my Grandma was in the early stages of Alzheimers, and we didn't want her to shoot us, or the home health lady in a lapse of judgment due to the illness. Guess what? My grandfather was Army in WWII, and had been a shooter all his life, when fully cocked, I can spin the cylinder, which first, tells me that it has a lockup issue, and upon further inspection, the chambers aren't lining up with the barrel... THANK GOD he never tried to defend himself with it! The ammo that was in it, looked like it had been underwater, the lead roundnoses, were crumbly grey, and nasty. Same story with the old Savage 22 he had in the closet, ancient ammo. If you find out that the neighbor has an old rifle that grandpappy left him, invite him shooting! With OPSEC in mind, don't take your super special, 10" suppressed, select-fire, customized AR with $3K tactical glass on it, with a chest rig of ammo to this shoot, take a regular old pistol, and ammo, or your grand dad's rifle. Help him become proficient, tell him where and why to get ammo, open his eyes to local events like crime in the neighborhood. You may just open someone's eyes, and find a neighbor who
"has your back." Influence people positively with your example. Prepare

In closing, to me, prepping, is being prepared for tomorrow's flat tire, and keeping in mind, that next week may be TEOTWAWKI. If you make preparations for Murphy moving in to the guest bedroom, and staying, you'll be prepared for TEOTWAWKI, or at least major SHTF. Truth be told, MOST of us, will experience a personal SHTF, that affects us to the point that TEOTWAWKI would be a much more comfortable alternative, way before we experience actual Mad max TEOTWAWKI, whether it be falling off a ladder, or a family member dropping dead in front of us at Thanksgiving dinner. What will we do, when the best laid plans don't survive first contact? We'll all be surprise by
life at some point, and we cannot prepare for everything, but Preparing for Super House-to-House SHTF Civil War/Unrest Fighting With TPTB, without considering what happens to your family if there's a record snowstorm next winter resulting in your death because you moved the BBQ grill inside for warmth, and everybody dies of C.O. poisoning, it won't matter how much ammo you have.

I don't expect a great deal of disagreement with this thread, but I'd love to hear examples of how the members are working to change, or prepare others to be a valuable resource, or self-sufficient in a SHTF. I can't cover the WHAT IFS totally, but I think considering CAUSE AND EFFECT, when going thru our daily lives can be what saves us.

AK

izzyscout21
02-25-2012, 08:35 PM
well said, AK. Well said.

bacpacker
02-25-2012, 09:23 PM
Very well thought out post. can't say I disagree with any of it.

Katrina
02-28-2012, 02:56 PM
Well said. Can relate to car on side of road. My dil went to visit son 2 at college when they were engaged. Her car ( big ole 1960's caddy) died. As she was not far from exit, about a half mile, decided to walk to gas station. State trooper pulled up next to her while she was walking up ramp. Asked if she had caddy 1/2 mile back. Yes,it seems a semi driver fell asleep and rolled over caddy. If she had stayed with car we wouldn't have our Dil and third grand child, she would have been crushed inside the car. There was nothing left except right back passenger door. We have always taught sons to be prepared and figure out how to get help, not wait till "someone" comes to help, just didn't realize they were teaching the Dils too!

ak474u
02-28-2012, 03:23 PM
Well said. Can relate to car on side of road. My dil went to visit son 2 at college when they were engaged. Her car ( big ole 1960's caddy) died. As she was not far from exit, about a half mile, decided to walk to gas station. State trooper pulled up next to her while she was walking up ramp. Asked if she had caddy 1/2 mile back. Yes,it seems a semi driver fell asleep and rolled over caddy. If she had stayed with car we wouldn't have our Dil and third grand child, she would have been crushed inside the car. There was nothing left except right back passenger door. We have always taught sons to be prepared and figure out how to get help, not wait till "someone" comes to help, just didn't realize they were teaching the Dils too!

Wow, that was close... Exactly my point. In this post really, I was trying to make the point that we're all going to see SHTF, and it's most likely NOT zombies, and door-to-door gun confiscation, (although it may be) It's more than likely a fire at home, a job loss, a neighbor in need, natural disaster etc. I don't want to be the neighborhood hero, I just want to be my son's hero, and I feel like a diverse prepping mindset is important, and that includes, knowing what to do when a minor thing happens that could endanger you and yours if they are not removed to safety, or safety precautions aren't taken. It could be as simple as tying the ladder to the tree before trying to climb it to rescue a kitten to avoid you being a paraplegic because the ladder fell over.

Stormfeather
02-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Great writeup! Im actually printing it out for a buddy of mine to read!

Katrina
02-29-2012, 02:36 PM
Thanks ak, we really have been prepping along those lines. Not teotwawki but the what if a tornado hit, etc. but I will be prepared for other more serious things.

bacpacker
02-29-2012, 09:22 PM
Weather is probably the #1 thing to prepare for IMO. Natural disasters being a close second. If you are prepared for those the best you can, you can get thru a lot of what may happen. Things such as EMP, economic collapse and such will require a lot of the same goods, just more of them.

ak474u
02-29-2012, 09:43 PM
Weather is probably the #1 thing to prepare for IMO. Natural disasters being a close second. If you are prepared for those the best you can, you can get thru a lot of what may happen. Things such as EMP, economic collapse and such will require a lot of the same goods, just more of them.

Totally agree. Sure, people who are prepped for a tornado or bad weather may not have enough candles and fuel to survive TEOTWAWKI, but they'll have more than the neighbors, and on the other side of that, the guy who has 50k lbs. of freeze dried food isn't gonna benefit much from his food supplies when they're scattered over a 1 square mile area, and the couch is down the street across the from the 7-Eleven, he'll benefit more from a good place to hide from flying debris, and having good homeowners insurance, which is also a prep-related item, even though you can't eat it, or kill zombies with it.

Sniper-T
03-02-2012, 01:06 AM
well put Ak! well put!

Given Izzy's experiences, and given that I too am in a tornado zone... a secure and EQUIPED shelter just bumped WAY higher on the list. I have some research to do, and supplies to procure. but once the ground thaws, I will be building something!

Gunfixr
03-02-2012, 03:19 AM
Good post. That's pretty much the way I've tried to prep as well. Over the years we had our share of small shtf events, which weren't major but could've been a real PITA if we hadn't been prepared. For a few friends who think we're a bit nuts, I've always told them this, but they just "wing it" whenever something happens.
We usually almost enjoy ourselves. It almost sucked when the power and phone came back 2 wks after Hurricane Isabel.

realist
03-03-2012, 03:07 AM
Great post I too have prepared along the same lines. You know being so dependent upon electricity I need to get more redundancy into my system. My BOL will have a root cellar that will also be a shelter if needed. I too am going to be putting it on a fast track when things dry out.

If it ever goes to a Mad Max situation I am screwed, since I'm bald I guess I would have to grow a reverse Mohawk.

Sniper-T
03-05-2012, 12:36 PM
^ Grow a beard and do a comb over!

comb both sides up, and put it in a pony tail

:eek:

realist
03-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Nahhhhhhhhh bald is beautiful...and I never have a bad hair day.

Grumpy Old Man
03-07-2012, 11:14 PM
Nahhhhhhhhh bald is beautiful...and I never have a bad hair day.

God only made so many perfect heads; the rest he covered with hair!

Grumpy Old Man
03-07-2012, 11:20 PM
Good post AK. I've related on the board before that I learned this mindset in Boy Scouts, church and from my family. To me it's really more of a lifestyle. Being responsible for a concrete block plant and an off-road equipment fleet I have to be prepared, because if I'm not, we lose money and the owners frown on that! Also, this mindset is basic to self-reliance and taking responsibility for my own actions.

Dropy
03-07-2012, 11:56 PM
Never trust a badly. Sun bakes there brain and ya never know....