PDA

View Full Version : Newbie books?

Caden08
02-26-2012, 09:12 PM
I have just started prepping
With my wife. We have been buying the basics rice, beans, ect.

I would like a good beginners book on where and what is the most important, what and how to store, bug in is my first priority and then bug out.

Any help would be great! Thank you

mitunnelrat
02-26-2012, 10:01 PM
Back To Basics
When Technology Fails

Both of those are good reference books, and WTF has an awesome, well organized bibliography of other titles.

Build the Perfect Survival Kit is a good one for doing just that.

I hear the Foxfire series and The Encyclopedia of Country Living are good ones too.

Dropy
02-26-2012, 10:43 PM
I got a couple of the foxfire books. IMHO they are absolutely necessary for any and every preppers library!!

Zombiehuntereky
02-26-2012, 11:13 PM
My recommendations.

Non-fiction
How to Survive The End of The World as We Know It-James Rawles
Self-Sufficiency for the 21st Century-Dick &James Strawbridge
Back to the Basics-Edited by Abigail R.Gehring
Primitive Skills and Crafts-Compiled by Richard and Linda Jamison
SAS Survival Guide-Lofty Wiseman
The AT Library
Where there is no Doctor
Where there is no Dentist
FoxFire

bacpacker
02-26-2012, 11:47 PM
The Rawles book mentioned above is a good book and has many list in it that prove useful to me.
WTF is another good one. I'm working thru it now, but haven't finished yet.
The foxfire series is awesome, I read those long before I really got into prepping. I highly recommend them (all of them).
Country living is another good one.
There are many others and I'm sure they will get listed here. But this is a good start to get you started. By the way good luck in the preps and glad you decided to join us here.

Caden08
02-27-2012, 02:04 AM
Thanks guys. Got a few amazon gift cards need I need to use up!

Been watching the forum for a while and finally just joined. You guys are full of thought provoking info. Just wish I could/had the means to act on it all.

Again thank you

mitunnelrat
02-28-2012, 08:10 PM
Just about every one of us wishes the same thing, Caden. There's a lot to do when you take prepping on as a serious lifestyle, and its definitely not a short term process. The books suggested will go a long way toward helping develop a plan and then prioritizing needs. Having a network like this is helpful too, so I'd say you're at a good point already.

We'll do our best to accurately answer whatever we can here. Welcome to the forum.

Sniper-T
03-02-2012, 01:26 AM
Welcome Caden. Don't be shy with questions, we're all here to help each other.

Pop into the welcome thread and tell us a little about yourself if you haven't already. (rough location, etc.) will help us focus answers to you specifically

ladyhk13
03-02-2012, 01:47 AM
Caden welcome to the forum and let your wife know she is more than welcome here as well. We have a Ladies Forum that we would be thrilled to have her join. Ladyhk13

Grumpy Old Man
03-02-2012, 02:39 AM
See the sticky in this section. Many are available for free. Also "Dare to Prepare" and the "LDS Preparedness Manual" are good starting points. Grumpy

http://www.shtfready.com/media-center/literature-resources-helpful-links-190.html

Katrina
03-08-2012, 05:27 AM
Welcome Caden and I second the invite to wife. These ladies are totally awesome.