PDA

View Full Version : Growing seasons

Sniper-T
03-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Just wondering how long your guys' actual (or theoretical) growing seasons are?

Here's a link for the old standby, the farmers almanac: frost freeze freezing chart (http://www.almanac.com/content/frost-chart-united-states)

Pretty cool, actually.

I can hope to be Frost free by May 25, and have a whopping 119 day growing season before first frost on Sept 22.

Sure puts it into perspective how important it is to hit the ground running when the time comes!

And here: 2012 Best Planting Dates for Seeds for Ste Anne, Manitoba (http://www.almanac.com/gardening/planting-dates/postalcode/R5H%201R2)

you can punch in your city/state, or your zipcode, and it'll tell you when is the best time to plant outdoors, start seeds indoors, etc.

bacpacker
03-02-2012, 12:53 AM
I swear by the almannac for planting. I use the moon phases and signs that are listed by date. Compared to years I didn't I can tell a difference.
Down here I start planting certain things around the end of Feb/1st of March depending on the signs that year. Biggest part of our garden goes in by early-mid April. I haven't pushed the tail end of the season. But I think we can go to Mid October at least. We are planning on pushing it late this year and see how we do. We did harvest the last of our late corn in mid October.

realist
03-03-2012, 03:19 AM
Sniper the Farmer's Almanac is sweet. The problem is I am behind and have to get it in gear this weekend. Thanks so much for the post.

Kodiak
03-03-2012, 03:44 AM
Cool link, looks like we'll have 192 days here.

Taz Baby
03-03-2012, 03:31 PM
:mad: my problem is I am always gone in the planting season. But in the past I swear by the farmers book and plant by the moon.

Katrina
03-03-2012, 06:02 PM
Growing season? What's that. Last year we had 8 weeks due to rains. Don't think we will be as lucky this year.
BTW I'm joking. It's looking pretty good this year, now if would only get warm!!!

Taz Baby
03-03-2012, 07:26 PM
it's going to get warm Kat. Our groundhog came out and saw his shadow. Who cares what the government groundhog saw, lol I only believe mine. He knows when it is planting season and was shocked to see no garden to eat this year. So he went back to the wood pile to habernate.

Katrina
03-03-2012, 07:38 PM
No garden??? That means 6 more weeks of winter, OH NOOO Mr Bill!!! I just wish it would hurry up already I'm so sick and tired of this 50 degrees one day then sub zero the other, crap weather that's been going on (I'm also getting stir crazy, can't cha tell). looking forward to when DH can get out and start turning over garden and planting.

bacpacker
03-03-2012, 11:19 PM
Katrina you sound like my in-laws, complaining about the cold weather, but won't get out of Michigan. LOL The wife grew up about 20 miles west of Lansing, she still has 2 sister in the same general area and another sister just north of Flint.

Katrina
03-04-2012, 12:12 AM
bacpacker.
I LOVES the state of Michigan. It's having to pull out the summer clothes, then winter clothes, then summer, etc in one week. Makes TOO much laundry for me LOL
Seriously how are you all down there. News today looks horrible, anything I can do or send you and anyone out that way?

bacpacker
03-04-2012, 12:27 AM
We are fine here, we actually didn't get hit hard right here. Even the storms that went thru the county didn't tear stuff up to bad, It did drop a lot of rain in the storm's path. We got 1.10" at the house and went up the storms path today and I'm sure closer to the mountians they had 2-3". All the creeks and rivers were out of their banks. I didn't see a great deal of damage otherwise here. We got lucky!
There are counties west, north, and south of us that got hammered. I haven't gotten to listen to the news much today, so i really don't know how bad it ended up. I did hear on the ham radio and the TV that one small town south of us got torn up very badly. That area is one of our top 4 areas we are seeking a BOL. I will post up anything I hear of. Thanks!

Katrina
03-04-2012, 03:35 AM
Good to hear you're ok. Been worried about you folks.

Evolver
03-04-2012, 04:20 AM
Normally we have two 182.5 day growing seasons but this year we have two 183 days or Three 122 day :p It kinda puts things into perspective when Snipers growing season is less than a 1/3 of what ours is.

Pro's... We have over three times the amount of growing days.

Con's... No winter kill on bugs and fungus, no cold storage or snow.:(

Grumpy Old Man
03-07-2012, 05:01 PM
Being < 100 miles from the border I'm in Zone 8b. I'll be putting out tomato plants this weekend and using plastic to cover them. Depending on the weather I have a nine to ten month growing season. I'll be planting collards this fall, and as you can see from my citrus photo in the weed thread I can grow some things year round. I can't wait for the prickly pear apples this year! I'm going to make prickly pear/jalapeno jelly. Served over cream cheese block with triscuits it is one really good appetizer!

Taz Baby
03-31-2012, 03:33 PM
http://www.treelink.org/images/uszone.gifThe USDA Hardiness Zone for Tree's
http://http://www.treelink.org/docs/zonemap.phtml

msomnipotent
03-31-2012, 03:38 PM
I don't know what to expect this year. All of my flowers have bloomed 3 months early. Even my hostas are out.

I have a feeling that we will have a cold snap as soon as I plant my veggies and lose everything, or it will be unGodly hot and kill everything. And of course, everything will ripen the one week I will be away this summer.

As quoted from "Poor MsOmnipotent's Almanac".