PDA

View Full Version : New TEXAS Navy boats!!

Sniper-T
03-01-2012, 05:48 PM
Wow ... parts of the States need this kind of equipment? Armor plate and six 240 Bravos ... likely won't be enough considering what the cartels have at their disposal ... The Mexican Border is getting to resemble a conflict zone ..... nice boat though ... [/i] [/b]

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2012/images/02/29/t1larg.texas.boat.jpb.jpg

Texas is getting its own navy.

Next month, the state's Department of Public Safety will deploy the first of a fleet of six gunboats on the Rio Grande, the river that forms the border between the state and Mexico, CNN affiliate WFAA-TV reports.

The 34-foot-long boats, each powered by three, 300-horsepower outboard engines, will have bulletproof plating and six machine guns apiece, not unlike the river patrol boats the U.S. Navy used during the Vietnam War.

The vessels will be able to operate in as little as 2 feet of water, according to the report, and will work with U.S. Customs and Border Protection to combat drug smuggling coming across the Rio Grande.

"They're finding out when those people are coming across, and one of the things they need to be able to do is interdict them on the water," Texas state Rep. Paul Workman told CNN affiliate KVUE-TV when the first of the boats, the JD Davis, was christened in December.

"If you're trying to suppress organized smuggling activity, there's no substitute for putting people on the ground," Texas Department of Public Safety Director Steven C. McCraw said at the December ceremony. "The way they're operating right now, you need them on the water as well."

"It sends a message: Don't mess with Texas," Jose Rodriguez, a regional commander of the Texas Department of Safety, told WFAA.

The six boats will be named after Texas state troopers killed in the line of duty. The first was named after Jerry Don Davis, who was shot and killed in 1980. Another, to be commissioned Thursday in Austin, will be named in honor of trooper David Irvine Rucker, who was killed in 1981, according to The Brownsville Herald.

helomech
03-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Sweet

Stg1swret
03-01-2012, 06:30 PM
Nice boat.

apssbc
03-01-2012, 07:47 PM
I like it alot. Would love to play with that a little ;). Unfortunatley the ROE will probably restrict those 240's being put to much use, still cool though!!

izzyscout21
03-01-2012, 07:50 PM
theres ROE's on the border??..........woops............

bacpacker
03-02-2012, 12:31 AM
I'd take one, at least out for a cruise.

realist
03-03-2012, 03:29 AM
They need some twin 50s on it. Nice boat.

Zombiehuntereky
03-03-2012, 02:36 PM
240's FTFW! Guns UP!

GunnerMax
03-03-2012, 02:48 PM
realist, I have stood hundreds of hours on watch behind twin .50's. See my desktop background: http://i44.tinypic.com/4pxs89.jpg Those were my babies. Ben on the left, and Jerry on the right. (I like their ice cream)

Twin 50's do not work great when they are based on a platform other than steel. The vibrations through an aluminum deck will cause the guns to misfire very frequently. I could only imagine a fiberglass boat. 50 cal ammo is very large, and its hard to keep those babies fed. 240's on the other hand, are fucking awesome. plus, 7.62mm rounds are much more managable, recoil is eaiser to manage, the gun becomes part of you when you put your head down that sight, cheaper, and funner to shoot than .50's.

my. $.02

Being on a machinegun armed boat is what I do anyways. I live for that shit

helomech
03-03-2012, 03:16 PM
realist, I have stood hundreds of hours on watch behind twin .50's.

Single 50's work just fine out of a helicopter.

izzyscout21
03-03-2012, 07:51 PM
I can't imagine the political/ international shitstorm that occurs the first time one of those guys unleashes a stream of brimstone from those 240's onto the helpless "foreign national" who just happens to be minding his own business while carrying a bale of pot and an AK................

Sniper-T
03-03-2012, 09:42 PM
I don't see it like they have any other choice. If they don't then they'll be no different than an English bobby, armed with nothing but a billy club. They see a bad guy and shout "STOP! Or I'll say STOP again"

If they do not show that they are willing to use deadly force, this will be seen as nothing but a paper tiger, and ignored by everyone from the aliens to the cartels.

Political shitstorm???? Press Release: " An American Gunboat opened fire and killed a bunch of illegal aliens, drug mules, and cartel members." Period!

"If you don't want to die in the same manner... don't try to breach our border!" And don't do it trying to smuggle drugs in.

IMO

Optimist
03-04-2012, 03:00 AM
Many moons ago, when the Great White Father sent men to a nasty and noxious land across the seas, the hovercraft carried a little three-barreled gatling gun (hand cranked) chambered for the 40 mm grenade. I have wished, once in a while, that I had managed to surreptitiously acquire one of those little Honeywell contraptions....