PDA

View Full Version : Generator

The Stig
03-02-2012, 06:18 PM
Any recommendations for a smaller, portable and quiet generator?

I have a couple in mind, one of the Honda ones comes to mind. I'm looking for a smaller one to compliment that big-ass unit we already have. While it won't be able to power as much, the wife unit will actually be able to use it, move it around, etc. The big beast is a no-go in that department.

Any suggestions or real world experiences would be appreciated.

helomech
03-02-2012, 06:25 PM
The honda ones are very nice.

LUNCHBOX
03-02-2012, 06:38 PM
You were doing good until you said "quiet" -- the Honda is known for its quiet running. I have a Champion, its not to loud but its not quiet either.

Sniper-T
03-02-2012, 06:53 PM
yamaha's are almost as quiet as hondas, and are as reliable (IMO)

define small? 1000? 2000?

izzyscout21
03-02-2012, 07:23 PM
i'll be keeping an eye on this thread. A generator is on my short list.

bacpacker
03-02-2012, 09:36 PM
We bought a Honda Eu2000 for our EmComm group back probably 4 years ago. It worked flawlessly and still does to this day. We didn't use it continuisly, but would use it half a dozen or so times a year and typically 8-14 hours at a strech. The equipment we were running didn't tax the load (we could have probably gotten by with a Eu 1000, but wanted to spare capacity.
One event we worked was a all day bike ride in the mountians and middle of nowhere. We would run the unit between 11-14 hours. The unit will hold just over a gallon of gas and we never had to do a refill during the event. A couple times we were down to running on fumes.
IIRC it weights just over 40lbs and has a ECON mode which if you are running a small to mid size load you can use this and it will run the idle down to save fuel. Engine speed will match the draw of current on the unit. They are also a very quiet generator.
We are planning on getting one of these for ourselves. I have ran my camper off of it and it will run the full load with the exception of the AC. I have no qualms about recommending this to anyone.

The Stig
03-02-2012, 09:43 PM
Thanks backpacker....that actually the unit I'm looking at.

EU2000i

(EU2000IKN, EU2000IKC, EU2000iAN, EU2000iAC )
Features

2000 watts, 120V
Ideal for TV/DVD, satellite, fridge, coffee pot, and more
Super quiet
Easy to carry - less than 47 lbs!!
Fuel efficient - up to 9.6 hrs on 1 gal of gas
Inverter - stable power for computers and more

MSRP
$1149.95*

Engine Honda GX100
Displacement 98.5cc
AC Output 120V 2000W max. (16.7A) 1600W rated (13.3A)
Receptacles 20A 125V Duplex
DC Output 12V, 96W (8A)
Starting System Recoil
Fuel Tank Capacity 1.1 gal
Run Time per Tankful 4hrs. @ rated load, 9.6 hrs. @ 1/4 load
Dimensions (L x W x H) 20.1" x 11.4" x 16.7"
Noise Level 59 dB(A) @ rated load 53dB(A) @ 1/4 load
Dry Weight 46.3 lbs.
Residential Warranty 3 Years
Commercial Warranty 3 Years

http://powerequipment.honda.com/images/models/EU2000IKN_PE_IMGLG.jpg

bacpacker
03-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Here is where we got ours from. I don't see a price listed and I'm thinking we sent off for a quote. You can also find them at any Camping world and Gander Mountian. The best I recall we paid either $899 or $999. Pretty sure it was $899. At the time Mayberry's was $100 cheaper for the exact unit.

Also those units can be mated in paralell with a similar unit set for mating. They have different model #'s IThey also have a built-in inverter and give a pretty good 12v output. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Mayberrys.com - Honda Inverter Generator Model EU2000iKN (http://www.mayberrys.com/Honda/generators/EU2IKN.aspx)

realist
03-03-2012, 01:54 AM
Honda makes a 3K watt generator that is almost as small. The nice thing is if you are going to need a larger one in the future you can link two together and have a 6K watt generator. They are small and portable. I would look at them just for the expansion potential.

izzyscout21
03-03-2012, 12:08 PM
the price tag on generators makes my wallet cry out in agony

Stormfeather
03-03-2012, 12:27 PM
I picked up a couple of these here from Max Tool Sales. Simple to use, and free shipping to you, so this more than makes it worth it!

DuroMax 1500 Watt Portable Pull Start Gas Power Job Site Electric Generator | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/DuroMax-1500-Watt-Portable-Pull-Start-Gas-Power-Job-Site-Electric-Generator-/310382988858?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4844448e3a)

The Stig
06-30-2012, 05:27 PM
ZOMBIE THREAD!

Ok..so the "big ass unit" I referenced in the OP is a Wen 5500 generator (http://wenproducts.com/56351_product.html)

5500 Watt Generator
Model 56551

• 13 HP OHV Engine
• 5500 Surge Watts, 5000 Running Watts
• 6.5–Gallon Fuel Tank
• Low-Oil Automatic Shutdown
• Four 120 Volt Receptacles
• One 240/120 V NEMA L14-30 Receptacle
• Voltage Indicator Lights
• Voltage Selector Switch
• DC Outlet
• Hour Meter
• Wheel Kit
• 2 Year Limited Warranty

INCLUDES
• NEMA L14-30 Plug
• Spark Plug Wrench
• Flathead Screwdriver

SPECIFICATIONS
Gas Type: Unleaded 87 Octane or higher
Running Wattage: 5000 Watts
Surge Wattage: 5500 Watts
Rated Amperage @ 240V/120V: 20.5A/41 A
Rated Frequency: 60 Hz
Phase: Single
Dimensions: 27.6" x 21.1" x 22.1"
Dry Mass: 190 lbs.
Engine Type: 4-Stroke OHV Single Cylinder Forced Air Cooled
Ignition Type: Non-Contact Transistor
Displacement: 389cc
Run Time At Half Load: 11 hrs.

Noise Rating at 7 Meters: 74 Db

So I got this unit by redeeming frequent stayer hotel points from my business travel. This was at a time when we didn't have extra money to spend but wanted something to provide us power in an emergency. While this isn't likely to be a robust high-quality unit (hence the desire for the Honda) at the time it was the best we could do.

I've probably had it sitting in the garage for the better part of 4 years. I filled the crankcase with oil and connected a grounding rod but never even filled it with fuel. Not sure what I was thinking. Anyway, since it's 100000F today and I don't feel like yardwork I pulled it out, gassed it up and tried to get it running.

I was surprised....despite having never been started it took 5 pulls of the cord and it roared to life. It is nowhere near as earsplitting loud as I thought it might be, but I can see that it will be bothersome (again, hence the desire for the Honda).

Plugging in a box fan that is designated for post-hurricane usage the genny didn't skip a beat.

I intended to plug in a few other things but quickly realized that (1) I didn't have anything else laying around close by and (2) I had the exhaust pointed into the garage. Sometime I aint too swift.

Anyway, for a test of an entire 3 minutes run time the old-school/big-ass Wen generator seemed to work. I guess time will tell if she'll run for extended periods or actually do what she claims to do in terms of power generation.

http://wenproducts.com/56551lrg.jpg

bacpacker
06-30-2012, 06:25 PM
Specs sound pretty good on that one. Run time for that size genny is very good. 8 hours is more normal.

One thing i would recommend, run it out of gas and have a treated can ready to go with it. It'll make starting much easier next time.

hank2222
07-04-2012, 11:58 AM
Try this website called Next Gen Moblie Rv generator is Diesel power with the footprint of 25.inchs wide-x-25.inchs high-x-22.inchs deep and it wieghs in around 250.pds and it can be set up to run diff bio diesel and regular diesel fuel with diff set ups with fuel system .

The unit i looked into was the Rv style unit with extras for use as the main shelter back up generator for the days when the sun does not shine enough to make enough power that day

The Stig
08-20-2013, 12:28 AM
Well.....after 1.5 years of fiddle dicking around we finally pulled the trigger on the Honda Generator.

Will give a full report after it arrives.

Fidel MD
08-20-2013, 12:48 AM
We have a Honda 2000 for general utility use away from commercial power, and it works every time.

To quiet a generator, take a couple of sheets of plywood (we use exterior 1/2") and cut them in half. Using any kind of hinge you want (we use rope) set them up on end around the generator. They direct the noise UPWARDS, which helps quite a bit. The sheets of plywood are light enough to move around, cheap to make, and if you need to get to the generator in a hurry move out of the way. They also allow cooling air in, which is VERY important in an air cooled engine.

Also, we have the optional hour meter so we know when to do PM - and do it. With synthetic oil, it even pull starts in the winter.

And when I fill up the gas cans I put Pri-G in the gas, and refresh it as needed. The gas in the generator is ALWAYS stabilized.

bacpacker
08-20-2013, 02:17 AM
Stig you are gonna love that thing. I look forward to your review. One of those is in my future, but the one we bought for the EmComm group I was in was used a lot and never gave a hiccup. Sips gas, and when ran in ECON mode would idle down to whatever it needed to feed the load. Super quite.

ditchmedic
08-20-2013, 03:24 AM
I need one but ill finish unpacking first

ElevenBravo
08-20-2013, 08:30 PM
FWIW, Im a working man with a small budget... Ive got a 2.2KW Coleman style "contractor" generator. Less than $300 invested.

KEY IS CHANGING OIL AND PERIODIC EXERCISE.

Maintain the genset, and it will be there for you. Right now, mine is chained & locked on the patio, every week I mow the grass, I give it a 15 min exercise run. I keep the fuel topped off. I keep the oil changed every 4 days of continuous use.

The genset has NEVER failed to start or run continuous duty given the above maintenance.

It is not the quietest generator on the market. However, using three pallets, I built a generator hut, of sorts... for it.

The genset sits on one pallet, the other two form an "A", and Ive placed a doubled over thick grade cotton duck canvas over it.... It protects it from the elements while it awaits service & exercise. When being used, I flip up the two ends of the "A" and allow air to get to it, and exhaust to escape. With this cheap & simple generator "hut", the noise is cut almost 50%!! It is quite enough to run on the patio about 15 feet from the house and NOT create a "major disturbing" noise for the neighbours.

Gensets will come in 3 general flavors: (1) the dirt cheap China imports (2) The middle of the road gensets, of which are mostly made in China (like verything else) but are of good quality (3) Top of the line chit, like Honda and Generac.

A poor man cant afford to buy a dirt cheap genset, so I opted for a level 2 setup and have not been disappointed... IN OVER 10 YEARS OF OWNERSHIP. (Re-read the maintenance part above, this is KEY with ANY generator!!)

Doricho event: Genset supplied 48 hours non-stop service powering a portable AC unit, a fan, the kitchen reefer AND a few lights... WITHOUT hicup AND using only 2.5 gallons of fuel every 10 hours. (Temp outdoors was 102 deg F, so even at 85 deg F indoor temp, it felt like a meat locker!)

(Tip: Jump to the 11 minute mark on the video to skip to the generator part)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcvXmHphQQo

Best of luck my fellow ants, I hope this helps...
EB

David Armstrong
08-29-2013, 05:15 PM
For small and quiet it is hard to beat the Hondas, although as others have pointed out there are a number of ways to get similar performance at a lower cost, but perhaps at a loss of reliability over time. A friend has used a small Honda for his RV for close to 10 years and it is still going strong.

Having said that, I'll put in a plug for one of the new small LP generators. Having gotten one I'll never willingly go back to gasoline. You can stock up on some LP Gas tanks without any worry of the fuel degrading over time, no mixing of stabilizers, easy and safe to swap cylinders for refueling and so on.