PDA

View Full Version : Armor

Dropy
03-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Just a thought here on Armors.

SUre, we would all like to have the latest and greatest armor out there incase we get into a fight. But lets face it....we probably dont have said armor. We could go out and buy some level3 stuff with plates, but these can be very expensive and stick out quite a bit..very noticeable while your out at the bar or grabbing a burger. So what are some alternatives?

Jean jackets, especially if they are lined for colder climates can help to slow down a knife, club and smaller caliber rounds. They can also keep road rash off you and help keep you warm.

My personal is my leather jacket. cost me 350$. Its a victory motorcycle jacket with shoulder cups and elbow guards (which i took out). Over my jacket is my leather patch vest i wear also. Between the 2 i am fairly well protected against knifes strikes, punches, clubs, small calibers and road rash. But please note that my setup weigh about 10 pounds!! But then again i am a big guy and used to wearing it. This setup also keeps me warm and dry and does not stick out like "Armor" does.

So what are some of the ways you have found to protect yourself without sticking out?

GunnerMax
03-03-2012, 07:28 PM
My way of protecting myself without sticking out (well actually sticking out) is carrying a Glock 19 on my hip, and a .357 Mag Ruger in my pocket.

I otherwise, on topic, do not have any defense on me. The armor I have is issued gear, so I cannot justify buying my own.

LUNCHBOX
03-04-2012, 01:12 AM
I have plates in my pc. If I choose to use armor everyday I have soft armor.

Optimist
03-04-2012, 02:53 AM
I have a plate in my laptop case. They may trash the laptop, but they won't trash the operator....

Gunfixr
03-04-2012, 02:23 PM
I have a Level IIIa soft vest that will hide under a jacket, but it is a carrier, and I have a set of Level III ceramic plates to go in it if I don't mind "standing out".
I got it all in a good trade deal, so didn't have to shell out big bucks for it, otherwise I probably wouldn't have it.
If you want armor on the cheap, bulletproofme.com has old kevlar panels cut from older used vests they sell cheap for folks to shoot at. While considered unsafe to personal armor, they mostly still stop handgun rounds. You could build yourself a lightweight handgun stopping vest for maybe $100-$150. It wouldn't be my first choice, but it beats nothing. These panels could also be attached to other things, like the inside of your GHB maybe, to give a little backside protection, or the back of the car seats or inside the doors.

Dropy
03-04-2012, 03:06 PM
I have a plate in my laptop case. They may trash the laptop, but they won't trash the operator....

I totally forgot about armored bags a person can hold in front of them for protection. Great idea here too!!

Dropy
03-04-2012, 03:07 PM
I have a Level IIIa soft vest that will hide under a jacket, but it is a carrier, and I have a set of Level III ceramic plates to go in it if I don't mind "standing out".
I got it all in a good trade deal, so didn't have to shell out big bucks for it, otherwise I probably wouldn't have it.
If you want armor on the cheap, bulletproofme.com has old kevlar panels cut from older used vests they sell cheap for folks to shoot at. While considered unsafe to personal armor, they mostly still stop handgun rounds. You could build yourself a lightweight handgun stopping vest for maybe $100-$150. It wouldn't be my first choice, but it beats nothing. These panels could also be attached to other things, like the inside of your GHB maybe, to give a little backside protection, or the back of the car seats or inside the doors.

I was wondering if there was a posibility of doing something like this. I fi i am correct kevlar can be sown pretty easily?

Gunfixr
03-04-2012, 03:54 PM
I don't know how easy it is to sew, but it is a cloth, so it's doable.

realist
03-05-2012, 04:40 PM
It may be easy to sew but is hard to cut. If you do pick up a used vest make sure it is not made of Twaron material. It breaks down with heat over time and renders them useless. Second Chance has been sued due to the problems.

LUNCHBOX
03-13-2012, 07:44 AM
If you want kev panels to use in a pack/bag or even in a vest....just pick up the shoulder tabs and use them. They are not huge but could be placed to provide good protection with minimal sewing involved. I see them all the time when I make a gear run and picked up a few to use in the manner I mentioned and they are small enough to use for kid protection.

Hogleg
03-15-2012, 01:53 AM
I use a IIIA vest with non-removable plates. You can wear it under a jacket easy, under a loose shirt probably. It weighs 3.4 lbs. I don't think it will take multiple hits.

realist
03-19-2012, 02:48 AM
Most of the vest now days have soft plates in the front for added protection. If you have an older vest with a hard plate over the sternum, about 4X8 you need to replace it with a soft insert. The plate can cause a bullet to deflect upward and that is a bad thing since that is where your chin is.......

AlphaTea
03-19-2012, 01:34 PM
Are the Isreali IIIA vests on ebay any good?

LUNCHBOX
03-24-2012, 05:44 AM
I've heard the carrier isn't sewn well but the lllA armor is legit.

Stormfeather
04-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Are the Isreali IIIA vests on ebay any good?

link?

Sniper-T
04-02-2012, 10:57 PM
If you want kev panels to use in a pack/bag or even in a vest....just pick up the shoulder tabs and use them. They are not huge but could be placed to provide good protection with minimal sewing involved. I see them all the time when I make a gear run and picked up a few to use in the manner I mentioned and they are small enough to use for kid protection.

Could they be duct taped together rather than sewing?
or hot glued?

There is talk about personal armour by civilians is going to be banned in Canada. I want to get in before the ban to make the grandfather clause.

Another thread worth close watching!

AlphaTea
04-09-2012, 08:15 AM
link?
Link to one of the Israili IIIA vests on Ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/220992100530)

LUNCHBOX
04-09-2012, 09:54 AM
Could they be duct taped together rather than sewing?
or hot glued?

There is talk about personal armour by civilians is going to be banned in Canada. I want to get in before the ban to make the grandfather clause.

Another thread worth close watching!

I would tape them rather than glue due to the whole moisture brake down idea. I might have a couple laying around. PM inbound.

Another thing...watch out if your overseas and you purchase armor, most high end gear is not allowed to ship overseas unless privately purchased/sold. (Ebay is not considered private by some of the rules)