PDA

View Full Version : Being "That Guy"

mitunnelrat
03-07-2012, 02:52 AM
I'll preface by saying I'm aware this ordinarily isn't a term of endearment, but its a title I've taken on with some humor, enjoyment, and satisfaction. Enough so that I've gotten a multicam tab for my gear or boonie cap.

It started a few weeks ago, when I last went shooting... The state game area I like going to (an old sand quarry with a deep bowl for a backstop) was reportedly overrun by some jack offs scaring the regulars out.

"That Guy" isn't scared, he simply dons full kit and wanders in - alone - after seeing a Mercedes sedan in the parking lot (not normal)

He then, with AR in hand, pistol on leg, and a vest full of ammo, walks very quietly along the trail, until he sees the occupants of said Mercedes. Without a word spoken, he waves, walks by, and lays out a poncho as a picnic blanket. Until then, there had been steady shooting. It went silent enough "that guy" started listening for evidence of people creeping up behind him - only to hear said Mercedes start and drive off.

Coincidence? I don't know. But it got my buddy and I talking about the "crazy guy in the woods" stories, to which I replied "Dude! I. AM. That. Guy!"

Hilarity ensues.

"That Guy" can't settle for just any big freakin' knife - he has to have the bayonet appropriate to the painted long arm of his choice.

"That Guy" doesn't carry a range bag - that's what the fighting load carrier and war belt is for.

"That Guy" is "demented" according to a hippie chick, because he's interested in "instruments of death and destruction."

Its more fun in discussion, and in the moment, but I'm betting you get the picture.

Anyway, I'm realizing over the past few days that being "that guy" isn't all fun and games. There's a responsibility that comes with it, and some serious stuff. Being "that guy" can mean you are also "the guy" people call when they have a problem.

"That Guy" isn't afraid to do a midnight perimeter check of a friend's home when that friend is at a hospital bedside with his wife, and the kids at home "hear something." He gets immense satisfaction out of knowing the friend's kids fell right asleep, worry free, after he looked around.

"That Guy" is the same one a sister calls because her husband is out of town, and she has a wounded, wild animal somewhere around her home. Had she called him earlier, he'd have left work to dispatch it for her. Instead, its now crawled off.

Come to think of it, that same sister has also called "That Guy" because something went bump in the night...

I'm admittedly still having a little fun with the "that guy" concept in this, but it really does make me think a bit. I'm not much good for fixing cars or homes, and I don't get called - much - for any of that, but when people are scared, or facing something difficult, I am the guy they call.

There's some satisfaction in that.

Anyone else have similar stories of themselves, or someone close to them? I posted this largely in fun, but it'd be interesting to hear what some of the difficult things you may have been called for - like hunting attic squirrels? ;)

IDTANDY
03-07-2012, 03:46 AM
That's being a Sheepdog.

"Then there are the wolves and the wolves feed on the sheep without mercy. Do you believe there are wolves out there who will feed on the flock without mercy? You better believe it. There are evil men in his world and they are capable of evil deeds. The moment you forget that or pretend it is not so, you become a sheep. There is no safety in denial.
Then there are sheepdogs and I'm a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf. If you have no capacity for violence then you are a healthy productive citizen, a sheep. If you have a capacity for violence and no empathy for your fellow citizens, then you have defined an aggressive sociopath, a wolf. But what if you have a capacity for violence, and a deep love for your fellow citizens? What do you have then? A sheepdog, a warrior, someone who is walking the uncharted path. Someone who can walk into the heart of darkness, into the universal human phobia, and walk out unscathed."

SHEEPDOGS (http://www.patriotwatch.com/Sheepdogs.htm)

ak474u
03-07-2012, 03:47 AM
I have a friend that went to a NYE celebration at a large downtown park next to his fancy condo, on his way back up to his place at 12:30, he met a few guys who didn't know when to say whoa! and they commenced to beating him senseless after he said bye to his neighbors and they went in their condos. He had invited me to go, but later said he was glad I didn't because he knows I don't drink in public, and I wouldn't have been unarmed. Funny thing is, the idiots that jumped him are neighbors of his from one floor up, and mistook him for someone else that talked smack to them outside the building. OOPS! enjoy jail! They've been caught, charged, and bonded out he now has a protective order. He was glad I wasn't there, because he knows I woulda sprayed, and beaten them silly. People look at me like I'm LE when I go to the mall, and wally world. I have no idea why, besides short hair just slightly longer than a flat top. I don't mind that people get outta my way, I do realize that they do, and keep aware that I may be the first target of the one really nutty bad guy.

ladyhk13
03-07-2012, 04:06 AM
You sound like the 'rumors' started by our neighbor (on purpose) about my husband! He's "That Guy" of our area! He is known by non-friends as the crazy ex military guy who will shoot you if you tresspass on his property or screw with his stuff. He's the guy the friendly neighbors show up on the front door step with rifle in hand saying "can you fix this for me?" or better yet, just the other day, we were stopped side by side in the middle of the road talking to a guy from down the road and he just jumped out of his truck and pulled a rifle out and opened our back door and said, "hey, take a look at this whenever ya get a chance and drop it back off will ya?" But he can also fix your plumbing, electric, roof, trucks, cars, tractors, and build ya a barn if you need one. He can shoot ya and sew ya back up, make more bullets to shoot ya again. He sewed me the greatest cheek rest for my SKS out of the leftover leather from my chaps. He's da man!

Katrina
03-07-2012, 05:02 AM
Can I come live with you guys. Other than duh hubs and Sons 1 and 2 I don't have "that guy" to turn to.

ladyhk13
03-07-2012, 05:15 AM
Can I come live with you guys. Other than duh hubs and Sons 1 and 2 I don't have "that guy" to turn to.

Come on down girl! We have the best group here in TN anyway so would love to add you to our family! Too darn cold up where you are anyway.

Katrina
03-07-2012, 06:47 AM
You guys are so nice. I'd move in a shot, problem is we're the BOL for the family and I have a real problem with poisonous critters and bugs. Not afraid of 'em, I attract them and get bit all the time. Spiders seem to follow me around trying to chomp on me. And besides I'd be too far away from grand babies, need my cuddle fix regular or I get REAL cranky.

Sniper-T
03-07-2012, 11:46 AM
Two Springs ago, my neighbour called me up all in arms... a bear had come into their yard and was creeping up on his son playing (5 yo), the daughter screamed when she saw it(13 yo), and the dog (Irish setter) piled off the deck and tore into the bear. son ran to the house, but dog was losing to the bear. Daughter ran inside and grabbed dad's muzzleloader (it was handy) and shot the bear and it ran off. she called her dad,, who worked down the road, he came home surveyed the carnage, locked the kids in the house, and loaded the dog in the truck for a run to the vet. That's when he called me, just to let me know that there was a wounded bear around.

I was almost home already, so I geared up, and headed over to his place on the quad. I got there, and seeing me the daughter came out to tell/show me what happened. So off I go, tracking a wounded bear. It was a bad hit, liver/gut, so he wasn't dying anytime soon. I tracked the bear for about an hour when the neighbour called back, he was home and armed, and coming to help. I gave him my local, and the direction I thought it was going, and we met up 20 minutes later. The bear was looping and circling around, in no great hurry, but also not leaving our area. We tracked it until dark, then got some lights and continued. About midnight we finally cornered it by a swamp about 3/4 of a mile from my house, and dispatched it.

We got the quads, and dragged it back to his place (he needed to take it to the vet for testing). His daughter came out to check out 'her bear'

Dog came through fine, with a bunch of stitches to show off to the other dogs.

Last year a cougar was hanging around and killed a bunch of my other neighbours peacocks. He called me at 0230 thinking there was a coyote or something in the pen. I geared up and went over. The truck must have scared it away, but there was no mistaking the tracks. I 'made some noise' and left some casings around, but went home for the night. I may be a little crazy, but tracking a full grown cougar at night by myself... not that crazy! I went back ovr the next day, picked up the track and followed it for about 4 miles, almost straight as an arrow, away from our area. That was good enough for me. And haven't seen it since.

I am also the guy who has every tool known to man, and every fastener/fitting.

When the local farmers break something, they come to me for parts to jury-rig. and generally for me to do the jury rigging.

Here at work, when the engineers design something, it is my job to determine IF it can be built, and then how to do so. (and they come up with some whacky ideas)

So, yeah... in my little corner of the world, I am that guy too.

Grumpy Old Man
03-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Paladin Paladin where do you roam?
Paladin Paladin far far from home,
"Have Gun, Will Travel" is the card of a man,
A knight without armor in a savage land!

Paladin: a trusted military leader (as for a medieval prince);a leading champion of a cause

Synonyms: Champion, White Knight, Herald, True Believer, Ant ( I added that one)

IDTANDY
03-07-2012, 07:04 PM
"Whether we like it or not there are still bad people in this world. There is still violence and war. There is still the need to protect and defend ourselves and, even more importantly, the women and children in this society. Honor, courage, integrity and capability are still necessary attributes, whether or not politically correct, if society is going to continue. This fact was well understood in feudal Japan. The Chinese character for "bu" in the word "bushi" or warrior, means "to stay the spear," that is, to protect and defend society. It is tiresome to hear those who are being protected in turn disparage those who are protecting them. Nations rise and fall by force of arms; this is the lesson of history. The ancient Chinese proverb, "When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side", has as much validity today as it did two millennia ago."
James Williams

The Stig
03-07-2012, 08:30 PM
I train, take classes and train more so I can be "that guy" for my family. I spend the money to travel to classes, invest in upgraded equipment and maintain somewhere to shoot so when tested I have something to fall back on. When I'm at the range doing drills instead of ballistic masturbation and ignoring the funny looks and hushed comments it's because I am worried about being a sheepdog for my wife than the approval of strangers.

When my hands are bleeding, my back is tired and the brass burn on my forearm hurts its a small price to pay to know I am taking my role as the families protector seriously.

Will I respond when tested? Will my default line of training be enough to prevent harm to my wife and child? Will I stare evil in the eye and prevail when my families health and wellbeing are in jeprody? I don't know and won't know until tested. One of my biggest regrets is not joining the military...I'll be dammed if I'm going to regret not doing everything I can to get my loved ones home safely.

I hope that when my daughter plants me in the ground she can tell her friends her Dad was her "that guy" .

If someone thinks that's weird or odd.....they can eat a dick.

mitunnelrat
03-07-2012, 11:47 PM
Some of these stories put mine to shame! Good thing its as much about mindset as it is activity ;)

valid points and some interesting comments on that as well.

eagle326
03-08-2012, 12:34 AM
[QUOTE=The Stig;23403]I train, take classes and train more so I can be "that guy" for my family. I spend the money to travel to classes, invest in upgraded equipment and maintain somewhere to shoot so when tested I have something to fall back on. When I'm at the range doing drills instead of ballistic masturbation and ignoring the funny looks and hushed comments it's because I am worried about being a sheepdog for my wife than the approval of strangers.

When my hands are bleeding, my back is tired and the brass burn on my forearm hurts its a small price to pay to know I am taking my role as the families protector seriously.

Will I respond when tested? Will my default line of training be enough to prevent harm to my wife and child? Will I stare evil in the eye and prevail when my families health and wellbeing are in jeprody? I don't know and won't know until tested. One of my biggest regrets is not joining the military...I'll be dammed if I'm going to regret not doing everything I can to get my loved ones home safely.

I hope that when my daughter plants me in the ground she can tell her friends her Dad was her "that guy" .

Stig very well put. In my world ; the person who doesn't want to have to do violence is the one who will be there when times get tough and will be your worst nightmare.

He who looks at the worst case senario and hopes for the best ; thinks outside the box ; prays for peace ; yet prays for victory if peace doesn't work. While military training may help ; your instinct as a man is to protect until you win or die is paramount to your training to become the best you can be to protect your loved ones.

In the song section I posted ( Warrior Song ) Now this song to me is the very thing I don't want to go back to if I can avoid it God willing. May you continue to train and may you never have to be the man in the song.

George

bacpacker
03-08-2012, 01:43 AM
Some of these stories put mine to shame! Good thing its as much about mindset as it is activity ;)

valid points and some interesting comments on that as well.

Like MIT, I don't really have any stories, certainly nothing of a military fashion. However I believe deep in my soul if things get bad I will do any deed needed to protect my family and friends.
Other things and times in my life I have been asked or tasked with leading, and making major decisions both at home and in work situations. I think that experience has helped mold me into the person I am today and has built a desire in me to "take care of buisness" no matter what that may be.

TEOTWAWKI13
03-09-2012, 03:42 PM
My "that guy" stories pale in comparison. I used to be a bouncer. I was "that guy" in the bar. If I ever have to be "that guy" again, I will. I think we all will. I don't wish to harm anyone, but mess with mine, it's game on.

Good stories, guys. You inspire Peggy. (capital one commercial)

realist
03-09-2012, 07:09 PM
One of my best complement came from my son. I asked him one day if my occupation bothered him or his friends. He said no, "They think you're cool and that you are some crazy guy who likes to blow shit up." "That guy", is the one that is always around who your family and friends can depend upon. That is what I strive to be.

Optimist
03-10-2012, 09:05 AM
The "go-to" guy. It's a pretty good title, and a very good feeling....

GunnerMax
03-10-2012, 02:04 PM
I was told yesterday by someone on my boat crew that I have an "unhealty obsession with guns and tactical gear"

but she plays at least 8 hours of MW3 on the XBOX every day. hypocrite....

i am the go to guy for gun issues around here.

Also, i am the go to guy for military gear, as i hooked a buddy up with some stuff that he needed to complete his military issued inventory.

realist
03-10-2012, 02:07 PM
Obsession???????? I call it a way of life. Playing on the X-Box really is accomplishing a lot.....

izzyscout21
03-10-2012, 03:40 PM
I was told yesterday by someone on my boat crew that I have an "unhealty obsession with guns and tactical gear"

but she plays at least 8 hours of MW3 on the XBOX every day. hypocrite....

what makes her professional opinion so valuable?? She works on boat crew, not a head shrink's office. Tell her to go pound sand.

mitunnelrat
03-10-2012, 07:06 PM
what makes her professional opinion so valuable?? She works on boat crew, not a head shrink's office. Tell her to go pound sand.

Or tread water! ;)

Optimist
03-11-2012, 10:46 PM
Well, I would expect that your gear would be of more use than hers would in the event of 'interesting times'....

mitunnelrat
03-11-2012, 11:04 PM
I don't know, Optimist. I've found some of the most interesting times in my life have come with handling a wo... ....ah! I better not finish that thought!

Optimist
03-11-2012, 11:19 PM
Finishing the thought might be okay. Finishing the sentence, maybe not so okay.... :)

mitunnelrat
03-12-2012, 12:51 AM
hey, I like the way you think