PDA

View Full Version : For you guys in North Texas Awesome shooting facility

ak474u
03-10-2012, 04:11 AM
Just in case you guys in N. Texas are looking for a REALLY cool range, Texas Defensive Shooting Academy has a nice place to shoot. It's Just south of Downtown Dallas by about 25 miles in the middle of nowhere like all the cool ranges, but it's worth the drive. It's members only, but annual memberships are reasonable for what you get. It's manned, but since it's members only, you really can't just drop in. We managed to catch the owner/founder on Wed. and he gave us a day pass for $20 which is usually high for a range, but it's absolutely worth it. Among their features are: LOTS of 25 yard earth-bermed ranges with movable target stands, and barrels for barricades that you can adjust to your training needs. Steel bays with man-sized targets (pistol only) IIRC there is a 25yd, 50yd, 75yd, 100yd, 200yd, 300yd, and they can extend it to 400yds on request. There is also a Zero-Wind tunnel rifle range for precision shooting. They have a "shoot house" and a 40 ft. ship container with multiple levels inside for sniper training, which anchors the "main street" and "city" ranges. This is a LARGE place, the day we went it was starting to set in raining for 5 days, and a SWAT team was training on the tactical range so we got a limited tour. Each of the bays has a good dry shelter for your gear, and is protected from all sides... 3 sides dirt, and one side has 6 foot thick blocks of compressed tires. All of the roads and trails thru the range are protected due to the nature of the shooting that goes on there. Their website is very simple, it really just has membership info and the address, but I'm guessing that they get plenty of business without a nice website. I found it mentioned on several boards where it was nicknamed "Firestone Fortress" because the entire property is surrounded by huge blocks of compressed tires. This is a "Shoot any time you want" kinda place, the owner told us that you can shoot at night with night vision, or just weapon lights if you give advance notice. If you want a really cool place to shoot, and just want to be able to go unlock the gate and have the run of the place, this is that place. I'll be a member soon, and may try to set up a local members range day with the owner's approval. If anybody is a member and wants to go shoot sometime, PM me. TDSA Home (http://www.tdsa.net) With the exception of having a rifle take a dump on me, and become a super jam-o-matic, it was a great day of shooting, I didn't even mind that it was cold and rainy.

Here's a pic of me shooting. http://s993.photobucket.com/albums/af53/ak474u/Shooting%20Pics%203-12/