PDA

View Full Version : Pink slime in most ground beef at supermarkets

msomnipotent
03-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Pink slime sold instead of ground beef: learn how to make the right choice (http://www.dailygossip.org/pink-slime-sold-instead-of-ground-beef-learn-how-to-make-the-right-choice-2699)

Pink slime sold instead of ground beef: learn how to make the right choice

Posted by Lucienne Molnar On Mar 9, 2012 6:42am in World

Based on a recent report published by Huffington Post many more supermarkets choose to sell pink slime instead of ground beef because the latter is much more expensive now. The discussion started when Jamie Oliver discovered that pink slime was used in many hamburgers sold at McDonald’s. This time, however, ABC News World performed an investigation to see whether supermarkets were correct or not. Thanks to them, customers know how to make the right choice and eat healthy food that does not contain the ammonia-treated sludge.

Given the recent economic instability, many customers were forced to replace beef steaks with the much cheaper hamburgers. The compromise they made may have saved their bank accounts, but we can’t say the same thing about their health. Recent discoveries show that many supermarkets have replaced ground beef with pink slime without notifying their customers of the changes they have made.

Pink slime is considered to be unhealthy because it is produced from meat scraps that were taken from otherwise unusable parts of a carcass. One of the employees working at USDA told reporters that he had to quit his job because the products were incredibly disgusting.

This is not the first time when supermarkets deal with a similar problem. In 2009, the New York Times published a report saying that 70% of ground beef is made out of pink slime. The company that was responsible for the production of this unhealthy meat was Beef Products, Inc. The current investigation performed by ABC News World shows that the percentage remained unchanged despite authorities’ attempts to prevent the use of ammonia-treated sludge.

Fast food producers were the most affected by the discoveries of the media. McDonald’s was the first to give up using this product in their hamburgers. However, schools continue to use the mix to prepare children’s lunches.

You can avoid eating junk food by simply purchasing beef that hasn’t been grounded. You can either ask the shop assistant to ground it on the spot or you can purchase a meat grinder and do it on your own.
__________________________________________________ _________________________________________

Just thinking of all the times I stocked up on ground beef and fed it to my family makes me sick. I just found out that my husband will be getting a bonus soon, so I have decided to order a 1/2 cow directly from a rancher. I think I am pretty much done with supermarkets now.

I have no idea if I have been canning/freezing slime or actual food!

izzyscout21
03-10-2012, 04:46 PM
I saw this report and almost threw up in my mouth.

Taz Baby
03-10-2012, 05:34 PM
I hate buying meat in a supermarket. This is why I prefer to go into the pasture with a gun and a butcher knife.

Katrina
03-11-2012, 07:16 AM
As son 2 is meat cutter/butcher at local grocery. He lets me know when they grind the burger in the butcher meat case. So I know its done with fresh meat. I don't buy the prepackaged stuff in the main meat cases. Never have, always found store with butcher in it and bought fresh where ever we lived.

bacpacker
03-11-2012, 06:47 PM
I'm so glad we just put a cow in the freezer.

LUNCHBOX
03-12-2012, 09:52 AM
McDonalds was in the report....PLEASE don't tell me thats what they sprinkle on the fries....j/k.

Seriously, when the news showed they cost of ground beef in some stores this or some other type of shitty mix/additive was bound to happen. The new question is what will be next?

Bacpacker, I agree about the cow/freezer comment. Kodiak and I were thinking about selling one to pay for the other. I think we are leaning the other way at this point.

izzyscout21
03-12-2012, 01:19 PM
you shold give him to me.

realist
03-12-2012, 03:49 PM
I spent Saturday branding and castrating calves at a friends. He is getting $2 a pound for his cattle so when you figure that cost you hamburger will be going up to around $3+ a pound. If it is less than that then you are eating old cows.......

msomnipotent
03-13-2012, 03:02 AM
I would much rather eat an old cow than slime. My husband is even on board with ordering a side of beef now, so at least we finally agree on something. I just can't get it out of my head. The last few times I bought ground beef, I thought to myself that it didn't feel like ground beef and was kind of smooshy and tacky. Ewww. I can't believe I fed that to my family.