PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Jerry Cans

The Stig
03-10-2012, 04:53 PM
I fully admit I'm being lazy and not using that fancy new thing called "google"....

But does anybody know of a source for those heavy plastic Jerry cans for both water or fuel that doesn't cost $50/ea plus $600 shipping?

http://olive-drab.com/images/can_water_5gal_plastic_markings.jpg

GunnerMax
03-10-2012, 05:11 PM
U.S. Military - Style 20l (5 1/4 - Gal.) Jerry Can, Olive Drab - 904142, Misc Surplus at Sportsman's Guide (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/us-military-style-20l-5-1-4-gal-jerry-can-olive-drab.aspx?a=904142)

let me know if you want some of these, as I get buyers club discount

I know they are metal, but cheaper than plastic

hey stig, we have some over here, and I will look at the numbers on them tomorrow. Ill tell you the NSN, price, and company that makes MILSPEC ones, if that helps

izzyscout21
03-10-2012, 05:18 PM
U.S. G.I. Five Gallon Water Container, Tan [451501] - $39.95 :: Colemans Military Surplus LLC - Your one-stop surplus store with Army/Navy products for hunting gear, camping gear, emergency products, and survival products (http://store.colemans.com/cart/us-gi-five-gallon-water-container-tan-p-2570.html)

GunnerMax
03-10-2012, 05:22 PM
i was just looking at that link izzy....

The Stig
03-11-2012, 10:10 PM
Thanks guys

izzyscout21
03-12-2012, 01:30 PM
i think i saw a few of these last gear run I did with Lunchbox

Stormfeather
03-13-2012, 06:44 PM
The problem I have with these damn Jerry cans, is they are so damn expensive. Literally prohibitive just by cost of shipping expensive. I have a few, and although they offer a great volume of storage, I cant see paying out the wazoo for them. I lucked out and got some on DRMO here at base, but if it wasnt for that, I would just use my regular gas cans.

realist
03-13-2012, 10:58 PM
The Spector containers are what the military uses. The below link is one of their civilian distributors. They are expensive however they are worth the money if you can afford them. I have a bunch that I got out of the DRMO too so the price was right. One thing that you might consider is to pick some up that do not have tops. Most people will just about give these away. New tops are $8.50 so that will give you a complete unit.
Bottom Line Military Sales, LLC - LIQUID CONTAINERS (http://bottomline2000.com/liquidcontainers.aspx)

The Stig
03-13-2012, 11:25 PM
The problem I have with these damn Jerry cans, is they are so damn expensive. Literally prohibitive just by cost of shipping expensive. I have a few, and although they offer a great volume of storage, I cant see paying out the wazoo for them. I lucked out and got some on DRMO here at base, but if it wasnt for that, I would just use my regular gas cans.

Yea, I can't see paying $25+/ea plus shipping. They are nice and give me a great deal more confidence than the $6 WallMart ones I have but I can't see the $20 to $30 each extra to get them.

izzyscout21
03-13-2012, 11:33 PM
STig,

there were 3 or 4 surplus stores down near Camp Shelby / Hattiesburg last time I was in the area.

I'd say you could probably find some there and save yourself some shipping. I think the 40 minute drive would be less costly than the shipping, and you may be able to haggle the surplus guys down a bit.

Stormfeather
03-14-2012, 10:36 AM
STig,

there were 3 or 4 surplus stores down near Camp Shelby / Hattiesburg last time I was in the area.

I'd say you could probably find some there and save yourself some shipping. I think the 40 minute drive would be less costly than the shipping, and you may be able to haggle the surplus guys down a bit.

Dang, how about a group buy on these if thats the case? See about getting 20-30 of them!

msomnipotent
03-14-2012, 04:42 PM
Is plastic better than metal for long term storage? I am interested in buying some, but I don't know the difference. I saw 10 gallon plastic containers at Farm and Fleet for $34 each. I was tempted to buy one, but they were so heavy. I don't think I could move one filled with gas.

ak474u
03-15-2012, 03:30 PM
Hey guys, FYI, I was at CTD guns in McKinney TX the other day, and they have "Mini" Steel NATO gas cans that hold 1 gallon each for 10 bucks. They're OD, and I'm thinking of getting a few for the simple reason that they're compact and take up very little space, and I don't feel super safe storing gasoline in large quantity in an apartment storage room. (of course if my apartment is on fire, the neighborhood will have to be evacuated because of ammo cooking off anyway lol) NOT on the website currently, I just saw them in the retail store the other day, but they'll do phone orders from their catalog desk if you need it. They were 10 Bucks.

Stormfeather
03-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Hey guys, FYI, I was at CTD guns in McKinney TX the other day, and they have "Mini" Steel NATO gas cans that hold 1 gallon each for 10 bucks. They're OD, and I'm thinking of getting a few for the simple reason that they're compact and take up very little space, and I don't feel super safe storing gasoline in large quantity in an apartment storage room. (of course if my apartment is on fire, the neighborhood will have to be evacuated because of ammo cooking off anyway lol) NOT on the website currently, I just saw them in the retail store the other day, but they'll do phone orders from their catalog desk if you need it. They were 10 Bucks.

Damn, why cant there be a CTD store near me? I would pick up a few of there, but once again, shipping kills it for me.

Stormfeather
03-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Is plastic better than metal for long term storage? I am interested in buying some, but I don't know the difference. I saw 10 gallon plastic containers at Farm and Fleet for $34 each. I was tempted to buy one, but they were so heavy. I don't think I could move one filled with gas.

If not exposed to sunlight, then yes. Those metal ones can rust after a few years. The 5 gallon ones are the best ones to get IMHO, and Im sure you could handle them!

The Stig
06-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Hit up one of the Army-Navy Stores by Camp Shelby and found this...

http://waffen.pistol-revolver.de/images/full_size/wasserkanister.jpg

It's a 1971 Bunderswehr version of a water jerry can. Not sure how strong that handle is, or if it's a great at water storage, but for $12 I figured it was worth a chance.

Sadly, none of the ultra cool US plastic jerry cans.

izzyscout21
06-11-2012, 02:51 PM
^^ I like that. Just like their cars and guns, leave it to the Germans to come up with a freaking water/ gas can that I like.

bacpacker
06-12-2012, 12:02 AM
I bet it as good as any others of that type. From my expereince with german gear, tools, etc they don't make very much junk.

The Stig
06-30-2012, 05:32 PM
Good news: I filled it with water and she doesn't leak

Bad news: I rubbed a paper towel on the inside and came out with smears of black greasy gunk of an unknown nature. :/ Gonna have to figure out how to clean this up otherwise it will be relegated to non-potable water storage. That isn't all bad but obviously not what I had intended.

Echo2
06-30-2012, 08:59 PM
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5189/5768916935_c7be9f97a3_z.jpg

:)

Seriously....how many Septors or MFCs are you looking for.....and what is general location?

Kutter-0311
07-03-2012, 04:37 AM
I ordered 6 5gal and 2 2.5gal Scepter water cans from BQM a couple years ago. Cost+shipping was indeed retarded, but these cans are pretty awesome, and they lash into the DEI 1606 frame perfectly! I really liked them in the service, they are pretty hard to break. These cover our 5-person family's emergency water supply for 7 days, and are pretty easy to transport.

Stig, wipe out what you can, then try sanitizing them with a strong bleach mixture. I'd bet it's some kind of slimey mold from being closed up damp and warm. When empty, you need to store them open so they dry out, but I pretty much just keep them full.