PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite prepping Comfort food?

izzyscout21
03-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Just as the title says.

It can't be rice and beans all the time.

I'll go first:

HORMEL Chili

Sniper-T
03-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Ramen! I usually use my own bullions, but I love them damn noodles!

Zombiehuntereky
03-12-2012, 02:58 PM

I like my Beef Ramen but I drain almost all the water off then add the flavoring and then I add a lil shredded cheese or use chessewiz and it thickens and I eat it on saltine crackers.

realist
03-12-2012, 03:22 PM
Jambalaya with chicken, shrimp and sausage, and yes you can throw in some beans and rice.

eagle326
03-12-2012, 07:49 PM
chicken

rentprop1
03-12-2012, 08:15 PM
bacon Spam

IDTANDY
03-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Lima beans and Ham.

Grumpy Old Man
03-12-2012, 10:16 PM
Dinty Moore Beef Stew with 1/4 cup of red wine stirred in, topped with velveeta cheese product. On a quiet night, you can hear my arteries clog.

Taz Baby
03-12-2012, 11:25 PM
Chilidogs. Can of firehouse chili, rotel tomatoes and velvetta cheese. Mix together and heat. Put on top of hotdog

LUNCHBOX
03-12-2012, 11:48 PM
I like the Campbell Chunky soups.

Although, I'm going out on a limb and saying any food I have to eat will be my favorite.

Katrina
03-13-2012, 12:02 AM
Broiled Braunschweiger and mayo sammiches, spam and extra sharp cheddar cheese and crackers

bacpacker
03-13-2012, 12:15 AM
I'd agree with Lunch Box. Any piece of grub we can get our hands on.

Strictly for comfort food I think a dark chocolate bar would serve nicely. Or maybe a few chunks of hard candy.

LUNCHBOX
03-13-2012, 01:10 AM

Strictly for comfort food I think a dark chocolate bar would serve nicely. Or maybe a few chunks of hard candy.

Bp, I keep Jolly Ranchers and hard Lifesavers in my dry goods storage. (it might just put a smile on the littles face in a time when they will be hard to find) I would love to be able to keep the chocolate bars from melting. (I may still go with some Tootsie-pops/Blow-pops in chocolate only just in case.

Twitchy
03-13-2012, 01:17 AM

The hard candy is also pretty easy to put up relative to other comfort foods...

bacpacker
03-13-2012, 01:26 AM
Hard candy is really easy to put up. I'm guessing for us the chocolate won't last to long anyway. We would be more likely to go with nestle's powdered choclate anyway to long term storage. It keeps pretty well and is not hard to make. Just to have a taste would be worthwhile, IMO.

msomnipotent
03-13-2012, 03:07 AM
I am going to say my home made spaghetti sauce or Stagg steakhouse reserve chili.

Katrina
03-13-2012, 04:56 AM
You can freeze chocolate if properly wrapped up. Longest I've had it in freezer was 5 years. It still tasted ok.

mollypup
03-14-2012, 01:11 PM

Yeah, the first thought that crossed my mind when reading the first post was, "tootsie rolls". In a SHTF situation, I would really enjoy eating tootsie rolls.

Evolver
03-14-2012, 11:22 PM
:cool: I get to be the fist... PEANUT BUTTER!!! :)

Dropy
03-14-2012, 11:36 PM
TWINKIES!!

too damn bad i am diabetic though... i limited on how many i can eat.

Zombiehuntereky
03-15-2012, 01:17 PM
Comfort food. I would have to say Campbell's classic Veg and Beef soup

Twitchy
03-16-2012, 05:45 PM
TWINKIES!!

too damn bad i am diabetic though... i limited on how many i can eat.

*ahem, well okay there Tallahassee!

on a different note, i am quite frankly drooling at all the good food yall are talking about!

Foulball
03-19-2012, 02:54 PM
Mountain House Chili Mac with Beef

...mmmmmm.....

My wife won't touch it though (more for me!)

ladyhk13
03-20-2012, 05:24 AM
Beef A Roni!!!!! I have probably 50 cans of the stuff, I eat it all the time, I could live off of that and eggs (not together). I never outgrew it. Yummie!!!!

Sniper-T
03-20-2012, 11:07 AM
^mmm

cold, right out of the can.

good'un!

idahobob
03-20-2012, 02:11 PM
Comfort food....hmmmmmm......gotta be chocolate.

We purchase 5 lb bags of semi-sweet chocolate chips from COSTCO, then vacuum seal 'em in Ball jars.

They do not go bad or deteriorate. Opened a jar last week that we put up three years ago.....still as good as when we purchased them!:cool:

Bob
III

Sniper-T
03-27-2012, 11:37 AM

I typically try to avoid anything with the HALAL designation, but I found some Ramen noodles the other day that surprised me.

Typically, they run anywhere from 1500 to 2400 mg of salt per package; which is astronomical, and up to 100% of your daily allowance. (recommended)

These packages are only 380 mg and even though I still don't use the whole salt package, are quite flavourfull

Indo mie
Mi goreng Pedas

are the ones I bought, and although I can't even find the exact type on the website, I imagine they are all similar:

Indomie, Seleraku! (http://www.indomie.com/)

Taz Baby
03-28-2012, 12:12 AM
Beef A Roni!!!!! I have probably 50 cans of the stuff, I eat it all the time, I could live off of that and eggs (not together). I never outgrew it. Yummie!!!!

we have to have that and ravioli and spaghetti, and homel chili for the Dh. You and him would get along well because he eats that stuff. Not me. I would it it but don't really care for it.

Sniper-T
03-28-2012, 12:18 AM
try it again for the first time. cold, with a couple hearty shakes of chulula sauce. OMG! when I`m long distance driving, that is my sustinance!

ladyhk13
03-28-2012, 10:15 PM
try it again for the first time. cold, with a couple hearty shakes of chulula sauce. OMG! when I`m long distance driving, that is my sustinance!

What's chulula sauce??? What have I been missing? I usually get some sort of cracker (like a captains or flavored...not a saltine or chicken in a basket, they don't taste right together) and scoop the beef a roni up on it like a spoon and eat it like that.

Taz Baby
03-28-2012, 10:58 PM
I like that stuff is it is home made. But what I don't like about it is the sauce they use to make the stuff that is in the cans. Just like BBQ ribs. I hate places like Sonny's BBQ because they smoke the ribs without putting any sauce on them while they are cooking it. Then their sauce has to much vinegar base in it. I like the sauce cooked on the meat not poured on after words.

Grumpy Old Man
03-28-2012, 11:14 PM
What's chulula sauce??? What have I been missing? I usually get some sort of cracker (like a captains or flavored...not a saltine or chicken in a basket, they don't taste right together) and scoop the beef a roni up on it like a spoon and eat it like that.

Cholula is a hot sauce imported from Mexico. It's my personal favorite! And their chipotle sauce is the best! My secretary argues that Tapatio is better, but I disagree. It's also hard to go wrong with Louisiana Hot sauce either!

Taz Baby
03-28-2012, 11:30 PM
I prefer Melinda sauces myself. I went to one of the habanero pepper farms in Mexico and eat 1 of every color of the pepper and didn't find one that was to hot for me. I really love hot stuff. If it doesn't make you sweat and your nose run it ain't hot enough.

Sniper-T
03-29-2012, 12:19 AM
mwahahaha...

Here ya go Taz...

Mad Dog 357 Pepper Extract (5 million) (http://www.peppersofkeywest.com/product_p/5008.htm)

Dip a toothpick in, but only far enough to colour the very tip... touch it to your tongue... I guarantee that you`ll say ``never again`` and then try it on your friends! lol

I brought a bottle of this back for a buddy last time I was down, and he is the same as you. he wouldn`t heed my warning and shook a dollop out on his finger and ate it.

he spent 10 minutes gasping for breathe with his head under the tap, drank 1é2 gallon of milk, and then ate a quart of sour cream.

Good luck!

mwahahahha