PDA

View Full Version : The case against Quick Clot

Katrina
03-16-2012, 04:50 AM
I saw this on Survival Mom.
Do not want to start argument. Not that anyone here would use it for minor stuff, just thought this was interesting.

First, from Courtney, an E.R. nurse:
“I work in an emergency room, and I can tell you first hand, QuikClot is AWFUL to get out of a wound.
It definitely will stop you from bleeding to death, but if you are in a situation where hospitals are functioning and the Stuff has NOT hit the fan, and you aren’t at risk of bleeding to death (i.e. haven’t severed a major artery), I would recommend going to the nearest E.R. instead of applying QuikClot. Pressure on the wound is the MOST important thing you can do.
I had a patient who was out fishing, cut his thumb with a fishing hook, and applied a quick clotting agent. He continued to fish for another 4 hours then decided to come to the E.R., where I tried my best to debride the wound. The QuikClot was hard and deeply embedded into the laceration, it took me a half hour just to clean it out. Now, I will admit that it is possible that the extended length of time the product remained in the wound is the culprit. But one thing is for sure, I wouldn’t use QuikClot unless I absolutely had to.”

Next, I asked James Hubbard, The Survival Doctor, for his opinion, and here is his response:
“First there’s the mess that comes with QuikClot.
My experience has been seeing fairly minor wounds treated with QuikClot. If the patient has used the older version of the product, I have to clean and scrub, and still I’m not certain I’ve gotten all the granules out. When this has happened, I can’t help but think that if they had simply applied direct pressure on the wound, I wouldn’t be forced to traumatize the fragile tissue so much more. I understand this is a complaint with emergency-room physicians and trauma surgeons also, except the wounds they see can be much worse, and time can be precious. Prior to 2008, QuikClot also produced a lot of heat when it reacted with blood, and this can be very painful—even burn flesh. If a granule flew into an eye, ouch!
The more recent version uses a chemical that doesn’t cause as much of a burn reaction, although it can still get hot when it comes in contact with plain water. They’ve also encased it in gauze. Hallelujah!”
QuikClot isn’t a cure-all. He goes on, “But my main concern about QuikClot is that some people think it’s a cure-all.
Certainly it can be a lifesaver in battles, where the wounds are large and potential blood loss is severe. It stops the bleeding long enough for these injured victims to get to surgical care. But the key is getting them the surgical care.
Lay people tend to use QuikClot first-line for every wound. They forget the basics, like direct pressure. If anyone pulls off the QuikClot to actually treat the wound, the clot comes with it, and you’re back to stage one unless there are granules, and then the situation has been made worse.
Remember, QuikClot does nothing to repair the wound. You put this stuff in, and that’s only the beginning. You can’t keep it in forever. It will stop working at some point, and because it’s a foreign body, it will increase the risk for a bad infection. When it’s removed, the bleeding begins anew.
A wound often includes an artery that supplies vital blood to an extremity. If the artery is not surgically repaired fairly quickly, the extremity will die. Gangrene will set in. The QuikClot may have been a lifesaver, but only short-term.
The bottom line is QuikClot in your bug-out-bag is not enough. You need to know when and how to use it. Start by learning how to stop bleeding with direct pressure. Know your pulse points in the arms and legs, and how you can press on them to stop the bleeding. Know how to use a tourniquet for extreme injuries.
Again just thought this was interesting.

ak474u
03-16-2012, 05:48 AM
I always wondered if the wound would have to be scrubbed with a wire brush to get that stuff out... sounds painful to me. In it's defense, I'll be there are some folks alive today because they did use it. IMHO if it's a flesh wound, "rub some dirt on it and man up" lol If you get shot, hit it with quick clot.

GunnerMax
03-16-2012, 06:29 AM
Great information on the use and when not to use Quikclot. I don't have any Quikclot just yet, but I do have Israeli bandages.

Stormfeather
03-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Well, I am one of those guys who is alive because of QuikClot. I was injured in a IED blast while riding in the gunners cup of a uparmored Ford F350, literally blown out of the cup and landed alongside of the road. If not for our medic and a ass-ton of Gen-1 QuikClot, I wouldnt be here today. So for myself, I stack it deep and its everywhere in my bugout kits.
Granted, there are plenty of steps to take before you should think of applying quikclot, as mentioned, direct pressure is best. If you are suffering from a pretty ghastly, profusely bleeding arterial/venous wound or gunshot, then hell yea, apply it asap. If not, think it out and only elevate your care level to the point its needed. Personally, if you have it on hand, then make sure you know what it does, what it doesnt do, and the steps that are going to be taken if you do actually use it.

izzyscout21
03-16-2012, 08:23 PM
Weve discussed this several times before. Quick Clot and other hemostatic agents are but one of several tiers of medical treatment. QC is normally a last resort and should not be used in any m inor circumstance. There are so many variables to an injury that must be considered before its application.

Yes, there are many downsides and repurcussions to its use.

HOWEVER...........

As Stormy mentioned, QC has in fact saved many lives. It is to be used only for traumatic injuries in which blood loss has not been stopped by other means. In this instance, QC really shines. It's ability to stop massive blood loss is unparalleled. In it's powder form, yes, the granules have to be removed by a trauma surgeon in order to sufficently treat the wound. In most cases, not a big deal. Seldom will you encounter an emergency that will not be treated by a medical professional within hours of it's use.

Quick Clot is a tool.....a very serious one that one should have some sort of medical training to use effectively. Use it within the parameters it was designed for, and you should not have any issues.

From this thread:

http://www.shtfready.com/medical-supplies/first-aid-kit-things-sometimes-not-though-1137-2.html

Well, yes and no. I was talking about minor cuts and scrapes. Quick-clot, Celox, and other hemostatic agents are serious trauma treating tools, and can have serious ramification if you use them. If you don't have training in their proper use, don't use them. You can make things worse for someone if you dont know what you are doing.
Black pepper is black pepper. No harm no foul.....not for serious bleeding control. Unless you plan on ripping open a $30 pack of Quick clot every time someone cuts themselves peeling cucumbers from the garden, I'd keep some of the black pepper or super glue around.
ANd just for the record, you can get a lot of wipes out of a pack of coffee filters. Id even go out on a limb and say more than a roll of TP. Cheaper too.

LUNCHBOX
03-17-2012, 01:20 AM
I have it and if needed, I'd sure use it. There isn't to many items out there that don't have positive and negative traits.

Gunnermax, I have some extra (I hope) QC I can part with if your looking for some. Pm me if your interested.

bacpacker
03-17-2012, 01:45 AM
I've never used it, nor had the need. But I do stock it just in case. Like many other items. Just from what Stormy and Izzy have related, I feel it's worth having on hand, Just in case.

IDTANDY
03-17-2012, 02:49 AM
I've never used it, nor had the need. But I do stock it just in case. Like many other items. Just from what Stormy and Izzy have related, I feel it's worth having on hand, Just in case.

Good definition of PREPPING.

wingnutx
04-06-2012, 08:10 AM
We have done away with the original QC in the Navy, and have gone to Combat Gauze. It's another hemostatic agent that does less tissue damage, and is in a more manageable form. Also, you can remove it and apply a fresh batch, unlike QC. Same company makes it.

QC definitely works, but there are better options available now. The QC Sponge looks to be applied similar to the gauze, but I don't have any training on that. I'd take that over the powder if those were my choices, though. Too many people have ended up with the powder in their eyes.

Amazon.com: QuikClot Combat Gauze, 4 Yard Roll: Sports & Outdoors (http://www.amazon.com/QuikClot-Combat-Gauze-Yard-Roll/dp/B003N2VQV4/ref=pd_sim_sg_3)

Here's a video showing how to use it. I use this one to gross out my students: Quikclot Combat Gauze training - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3TUKKx0cus)

bacpacker
04-06-2012, 04:10 PM
I had seen the quik clot gauze around here, but hadn't really considered it. I think I'll start picking up some of that along the way. Good links.

Doc Torr
06-20-2012, 07:52 AM
Gauze is packable too, so you can stuff it into a wound and go. As far as the "case" against QC...I've never given two red bananas for whether I made a nurse have to debride a wound that had to be cleaned out anyway, since quikclot use always meant a life, limb, or eyeball was being saved. Same reason I'll put duct tape on a wound over the bandage if it's the best thing to do at the time.

Sounds like the article was targeted at folks who blew rule one. If you have a piece of gear in your kit, you better know how to use it right.

ETA: Chitosan. Kinda new to me, newish to the market, and I haven't trained on it yet, but it appears that it does the same or better than QC or QC gauze, and does not need to be scraped out of the wound afterwards. I'm looking to get soem training with it, but the idea of getting straight spun chitosan gauze in a z-folded package is awesome, since it doesn't rely on normal clotting factors to get the job done.

Just another product to consider.

Twitchy
06-20-2012, 08:52 AM
Gauze is packable too, so you can stuff it into a wound and go. As far as the "case" against QC...I've never given two red bananas for whether I made a nurse have to debride a wound that had to be cleaned out anyway, since quikclot use always meant a life, limb, or eyeball was being saved. Same reason I'll put duct tape on a wound over the bandage if it's the best thing to do at the time.

Sounds like the article was targeted at folks who blew rule one. If you have a piece of gear in your kit, you better know how to use it right.

ETA: Chitosan. Kinda new to me, newish to the market, and I haven't trained on it yet, but it appears that it does the same or better than QC or QC gauze, and does not need to be scraped out of the wound afterwards. I'm looking to get soem training with it, but the idea of getting straight spun chitosan gauze in a z-folded package is awesome, since it doesn't rely on normal clotting factors to get the job done.

Just another product to consider.

Since it is based off of shellfish, it may not be the best solution if anyone in your immediate family, or those you prepare to use it on have allergies to shellfish. Not sure its a guaranteed issue, but something to consider for sure... Arterial bleeding may be the least of your concerns if your PT goes anaphylactic on you...

Doc Torr
06-20-2012, 03:53 PM
Since it is based off of shellfish, it may not be the best solution if anyone in your immediate family, or those you prepare to use it on have allergies to shellfish. Not sure its a guaranteed issue, but something to consider for sure... Arterial bleeding may be the least of your concerns if your PT goes anaphylactic on you...

Could be right. I was made to understand that it was not shellfish based, but I am still doing research. Thanfully I don't have any shellfish allergies, but I'm still going to do my research.

EDIT: I was wrong. It is shellfish based, however...

Safety
Celox Rapid is made with chitosan, a compound derived from shrimp shells. Allergy studies have shown no adverse reaction to chitosan, even in subjects with a suspected shellfish allergy. Chitosan is not a procoagulant, so Celox products do not set off a blood clotting response which would lead to clots being formed at a distance to the product. Chitosan is a natural polysaccharide and residuals are broken down to basic sugars (glucosamine and n-acetyl glucosamine) by lysozyme5. Celox granules have been subject to an independent assessment by an external safety expert and concluded to present no risk when used in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions for use.

HemCon studies said the same thing.

Shrimp shells...mindblowing. I'd love to see a version made from puffball mushrooms (same protein complex, and they can be used as a field bandage too) just in case. Either way, I'm gonna keep looking fir independent studies and whatnot, but it seems shellfish-allergy safe.