PDA

View Full Version : Huge F*7%ing Waste!

Sniper-T
03-19-2012, 11:52 AM
I go out into the garage to get something out of the freezer to make a special 'Welcome Home' dinner last night, open it up, and get hit with a waft of stink, and warm air.

start tracing the cords back, and find the extension cord that USED TO plug it in, is gone. :confused: The cord that had a huge tag on it, "FREEZER _ DO NOT UNPLUG" Seems the wife wanted to plug her car in about a month ago, and rather than using the outlet directly in front of her car, she unplugged the freezer, dug the cord out from everything I had strategically on top of it, so it wouldn't come accidentally unplugged, and used it.

Then the next day, she took it. :eek:

So at least the top foot was completely thawed. below that was still partially frozen, and I imagine the bottom foot is a soup from all the water/fluids that dripped.

Tonight, I have the great pleasure of going home and throwing away several hundred pounds of food. :(

At least I can use some of it for bear bait.

piranha2
03-19-2012, 01:04 PM
Wow - that is a big shame. Sorry to hear it.

izzyscout21
03-19-2012, 01:35 PM
time for a new wife............

AlphaTea
03-19-2012, 01:45 PM
Let it slide for now.
This will be an excellent comeback for the inevitable future perceived wrongdoing on your part.

Sniper-T
03-19-2012, 02:07 PM
She puts up with a lot with me (if you can imagine) so I'm not ready to trade her in just yet. I just wish I could understand her mindset on something like this, to avoid followups

*sigh*

Kodiak
03-19-2012, 02:34 PM
Reminds me of a time a few years ago when my wife decided to blow her top and yell at me for absolutely no reason, ill not get into details. I calmly looked at her and said, "your lucky its 2010 and not 1910". She gave me a confused look and said why and i replied, "because i would take my belt off and whip your ass with it". She got the point.

Fyi, i do not condone domestic violence and have never hit my wife. But there are times when the primal urge becomes hard to control.

Sniper-T
03-19-2012, 03:00 PM
violence towards her was never an option! Ever!

ak474u
03-19-2012, 03:27 PM
They make little plastic loops with a nail preset in them for tying coax cable/wiring down to framing, it'll fit over an extension cord, and it isn't hard to remove them, you may want to get a pack of those, and literally nail the cord down to prevent future use for other purposes.

msomnipotent
03-19-2012, 03:49 PM
My husband's "welcome home" would be a stinking garage and freezer to clean, if that happened to me.
I have had my nephews forget to close the fridge or freezer before and ruin a lot of food. It sucks.

Katrina
03-19-2012, 04:32 PM
Man that's horrible, sorry you've lost the food.

Sniper-T
03-19-2012, 11:57 PM
well, by conservative estimates, I figure I lost about 700 pounds of food. I was able to keep nothing that was in there, for various reasons.

I`ll start a freezer thread to outline what I learned.

I`ve got my bear bait station well stocked, a good pile in my composting barrel, and set my neighbour up for a good bear season as well

I am scared to guess at the dollar value of the stuff we lost; but if I had to I`d start over $2000.

I am just disgusted!

bacpacker
03-20-2012, 12:07 AM
That's tough Sniper. Sorry to hear it. There's never a good time to lose any food, let alone that much.

Evolver
03-20-2012, 12:12 AM
Dang thats too bad. Looks like it's time to hard wire the freezer in or at least wrap a plastic strip around the cord next to the plug and screw it to the wall. Oh one more thing if you do this... Hide the screw drivers... (wink)

Sniper-T
03-20-2012, 12:20 AM
I cannot hardwire in yet, because as my garage reno's progress, I figure I will need to move the freezer two more times yet. but I did run the wires to put a dedicated box behind where it is now (and it's future locations, so while it is empty, I will move it out, wire in a 'hot' recepticle, and it'll be in a completely inaccessible place when I move the freezer back. In each subsequent move, I will do the same thing.
lesson learnt!!

LUNCHBOX
03-20-2012, 11:56 AM
I hate to hear food like that going to waste no matter the cause.

Kutter-0311
04-22-2012, 07:03 AM
I think I would have picked something tastey to hide up inside her car seat, inside an open plastic bag, just so it didn't actually leak into the seat. Let that linger, she'll remember...

eagle326
04-22-2012, 12:44 PM
I think I would have picked something tastey to hide up inside her car seat, inside an open plastic bag, just so it didn't actually leak into the seat. Let that linger, she'll remember...

Yea you could do that ; But after 40 yrs. of marriage I know that if I did that I'd be tangling with a Badger and that's a no no. Like Sniper said ; shit happens and it can all be replaced. I have a feeling his wife feels pretty bad about it and between them will come up with a fail proof system. :)

Remember ; If momma ain't happy your mad don't mean squat. You have a stand off.

ANEURYSM
04-22-2012, 09:06 PM
+1 for the hard wire and may I add Use the same circut as the bathroom light. Why because this room is used multiple timess during the day and if the circut is knocked out due to a short or otherwise you will hear some one say " The bathroom lights dont seem to be working." alerting you to hmm better check the refridge and freezer need to be checked!

I would also suggest using a lighted outlet. That way when you walk past you can see the light and know its working.
There is a lighted outlet out there that wont light unless somthing is plugged in.

bacpacker
04-23-2012, 01:55 AM
Those are excellent ideas Aneurysm. I gonna be doing some electrical work this fall. I believe those two ideas will get installed during that work.