PDA

View Full Version : Swiss Ranger Volcano Stove

The Stig
02-22-2011, 01:09 AM
WX-130 - Original Swiss Ranger Volcano Stove Set Aluminum 15 Ounce Bottle with Cork Lid Canteen Cup Stove (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/WX130-1.html)

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/bgprod/WX-130.jpg

Original Swiss Ranger stove sets constructed of lightweight aluminum weighing 15 ounces. The set contains an insulated bottle with a cork lid, winged handle canteen cup, and a wing handled vented stove. Place a fuel source such as Trioxanne (MGR-826) or WetFire Tinder (CAMP-221) in the stove and heat the bottle or cup to warm liquids, MRE's, or soup. These are a must have for all emergency kits...

When I was first starting to get into prepping I bought one of these. Well....that was before I knew any better.

It's been sitting in my food kit since then. Honestly, as I was thinking of things to post about here it suddenly dawned on me....I have no idea if this thing is worth a crap or practical in any manner.

So my basic question for the group at large is this...is this thing worth a damn? Are there any interesting things that can be done with it beside cooking? Anybody use one of these?

Any information that can be provided would be appreciated.

LUNCHBOX
02-22-2011, 04:34 AM
Stig, it looks nice but I don't think I would trust that cork stopper very long. Me and some buddies hike Red River Gorge alot and use the Jetboil system, it works great and is lightweight and somewhat compact. I picked up a little fan-out type stove called a Camp3 as a back-up that uses the same fuel as the Jetboil in case it got broken. IMO Jetboil is one of the best stoves on the market.

RedJohn
02-22-2011, 08:17 AM
Jetboil looks very interesting, but you seem to need gas cartridges to run. This is well for a camping week-end where you can plan and supply everything. The swiss thing must be working on wood having an easy to find power source. I guess that your choice should rest on how long you think that your situation will last.

LUNCHBOX
02-22-2011, 09:43 PM
I agree RedJohn, Jetboil uses little canisters but it is a good idea for a bob bag or a small kit in the car. Actually any good stove in a situation like that where family are involved could come in handy just for the quick access to a meal.

RedJohn
02-22-2011, 10:26 PM
Definitely agree with you and I am going to look into this Jetboil that I did not know.

gunbuilder69
02-23-2011, 02:18 AM
I like that Swiss Ranger Volcano Stove. It seems like a more sturdy version of some expedient ones I've made in the past. Where might one get one,I could definately do some modifications to make it more rough user friendly.

The Stig
02-23-2011, 02:21 AM
I like that Swiss Ranger Volcano Stove. It seems like a more sturdy version of some expedient ones I've made in the past. Where might one get one,I could definately do some modifications to make it more rough user friendly.

While I hate to give them any business, I got mine at Cheaper Than Dirt.

gunbuilder69
02-23-2011, 10:23 AM
While I hate to give them any business, I got mine at Cheaper Than Dirt.
+1............