PDA

View Full Version : Sad Day At The Farm

rice paddy daddy
03-23-2012, 04:15 PM
The wife and I have three horses, all rescues from bad/abusive environments. Our little guy was only a couple of months old when we rescued him from slaughter. He was actually in line to get on the truck when he was saved. He was a "by product" of the horse racing industry, a foal of a brood mare. Brood mares exist to provide milk for young thoroughbred race horses, and in order to keep giving milk they are impregnated over and over and over. The foals are thrown away. They used to be simply dumped out back with the trash, but there are some controls over that now. Horse racing may seem glamorous, but behind the scenes, not so much.
That was four years ago, now he's a "teenager" and full of fire. He needs a job to do to keep from getting bored and destructive. He needs training and someone younger than us to ride him. Ride him a lot.
So with hearts that were sad, but full of joy for him at the same time, we gave him to a special rescue organization that takes great care in selecting potential forever homes. This place usually only takes in the worst of the worst abuse cases, but they made an exception for us, my wife has done volunteer work for them and we have donated money on occasion.
We know he's in good hands, and by giving him away we gave him a better future.
In a perfect world, he will be adopted by a teenage girl, who belongs to 4H or FFA, and will make him into a barrel racer.:D
A guy can dream, can't he?

Sniper-T
03-23-2012, 04:20 PM
Well, that`s sad that you lost him, but certainly not what I was expecting when I read the title (whew). I am happy that he`s gotten a new lease on life!

realist
03-23-2012, 04:23 PM
You know that is why I just can't do the rescue or service dog thing. I get so attached to animals that I just could not get rid of them. Yes I know they are going to a better place, not mine is better. It would be like heroin, once I have one, then there would be two, then there would be three and then I would not have a place to live..........

LUNCHBOX
03-23-2012, 04:23 PM
You can tell it wasn't a choice you wanted to make but you did good. It hard some times to know when to say when.

Grumpy Old Man
03-23-2012, 04:43 PM
RPD good on you for what you're doing for the ponies!!! It is hard to let them go, but so much better than what I imagined from the title of this thread. I'm really glad it wasn't what I thought, I'd hate to be blubbering like a heartbroken school girl in front of everybody.

rice paddy daddy
03-23-2012, 05:13 PM
I'm really glad it wasn't what I thought, I'd hate to be blubbering like a heartbroken school girl in front of everybody.
I WAS when I was composing the last three lines of the post!

rice paddy daddy
03-23-2012, 05:26 PM
All of our dogs have been rescue types as well, either from the pound or the side of the road. We have four of those.
Sometimes I have to remind myself that we can't save them all, as much as I would like to do.

bacpacker
03-24-2012, 01:18 AM
I know that hurt RPD. But you did that pony a great favor. but doing all you have for it. Passing it on to a responsible party will lead to more good things for it.

msomnipotent
03-24-2012, 10:34 PM
It is sad to let it go, it will be going to a good home. I am sure the people who adopt it will be chosen by the rescue group as the best candidates for the horse and will give it the work and attention it needs. It will become someone's best friend, I'm sure of it.

Katrina
03-25-2012, 12:45 AM
I am glad you rescued him but teared up cause you had to let him go. He will do fine and the person who gets him will be very happy. All our animals are strays that just show up and we take them in. Of course that neon sign over the house (sucker) might have something to do with it too!

Taz Baby
03-25-2012, 02:46 AM
I know how you feel. This past Nov., when we were headed back to the off grid, we found a beagle/basset hound puppy on the side of the interstate. He was so skinny. Took him home and tried to find him a good home. Right before we left this time to go on grid. (2 weeks ago.) someone answered the ad saying they wanted him for their grandkids. So we gave him to them. The very next day I saw a ad for him and the man was selling him.
so at least you found a really good home for the horse and know he is alright. I thought I did but was fooled, and am a sucker.

Optimist
03-25-2012, 03:22 AM
RPD, if the troubles come, I predict you'll wind up with a house full of kids....