PDA

View Full Version : Fruit trees

Taz Baby
03-24-2012, 08:59 PM
Our peach trees are young and last year they produced small peaches and had what I think is the sour sap. This year they are in full bloom big time and have this web with some kind of worm growing inside? I don't know what it is or what to do. So I am asking my ant family for help.

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s395/Taz-Baby/Picture154-1.jpg

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s395/Taz-Baby/Picture153-1.jpg

Taz Baby
03-24-2012, 09:12 PM
http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s395/Taz-Baby/Picture155.jpg

msomnipotent
03-24-2012, 09:26 PM
The first picture looks like tent worms, also called tent caterpillars. I haven't had them before, but I have heard that they are hard to get rid of. I don't know about the other two pics.

Daca102090
03-24-2012, 09:27 PM
That web is/are tent caterpilars. You want to kill them now!! They will return each year to the tree thay hatched in and cause real problems. I have seen the silk tent cover 3/4 of a 20 foot tall tree with the same amount of leaves eaten. Pretty much any insect spray will take care of that small of a tent. If it gets bigger that a soccer ball then you might need more spray.

The other areas I am not sure what those are, but there are sulphur/lime sprays that can be applied to control any fungus or mild boring insects that might be there.

msomnipotent
03-24-2012, 09:28 PM
Found an article for you.

Eliminating Tent Worms – Tent Caterpillar Home Remedy Solutions (http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/trees-shrubs/tent-worms-tent-caterpillar-home-remedy.htm)

Tent Worms: Tent Caterpillar Home Remedy

By Nikki Phipps
(Author of The Bulb-o-licious Garden)

Eastern tent caterpillars (Malacosoma americanum), or tent worms, are more of an eyesore or slight nuisance rather than an actual threat. However, getting rid of tent caterpillars is occasionally necessary. We can look at how to prevent tent worms and how to kill tent worms, if necessary.

Tent Worms

Although often confused with fall webworms, tent caterpillars are quite different. Tent worms are active in early spring while webworms become active near fall. Tent worms make their tent-like nests in the forks of branches while webworm nests are located at the ends of branches. Fall webworms also enclose foliage or leaves within these nests. Tent caterpillars do not.

Tent worms prefer wild cherry trees and other ornamental fruit trees. They will, however, nest in ash, willow and maple trees as well. Other than their webs making trees appear unsightly, tent caterpillars rarely cause major problems. However, large colonies can significantly defoliate trees, as they feed on the leaves. This usually does not kill trees, which generally develop new leaves, but may make them more susceptible to disease and other problems. Tent caterpillars may also snack on nearby plants.

Tent Caterpillar Removal & Tent Caterpillar Home Remedy

When tent caterpillar removal is necessary, the nests or egg cases can usually be picked out by hand. Egg cases can be seen easily once leaves drop from trees in fall. Larger nests can be removed by winding them around a stick or pruned out and destroyed.

The best time for tent caterpillar removal is early morning or evening while they’re still likely to be in the nest. Introducing natural enemies, such as various types of wasps, can also help reduce tent worm numbers. Creating a welcoming environment for birds is also an excellent tent caterpillar home remedy.

How to Kill Tent Worms

Sometimes getting rid of tent caterpillars means killing them. While small infestations can be taken care of by dropping the nests into soapy water, contact insecticides work best for larger populations. Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) is the most effective. Since this is a selective insecticide, it kills tent caterpillars while remaining safe to other wildlife. Apply spray directly to foliage and tent worm nests.

Getting rid of tent caterpillars is easy, if you follow these basics steps. Your trees will return to their former beauty in no time at all.

Taz Baby
03-24-2012, 10:01 PM
I notice a lot of those webs in trees on the way to Fla. Hopefully I can get home in time to kill mine. I love peaches and I have been fighting that sticky stuff that is eating the tree literally as you can see in the pic.

Katrina
03-25-2012, 12:59 AM
The sticky stuff is a fungus. There are products that will kill it without hurting the tree , sorry can't remember the name of stuff hubs used. When he gets home I'll ask him.

bacpacker
03-26-2012, 12:34 AM
I always just get a stick and wind the webs up on it. Usually just leaves a few worms behind if any. Not sure how to treat the fungus, my peaches have the same thing going on.

The third picture I have seen as well. To me they look like little cocoons, but hard as a brick. I usually just cut the branches just below them and burn them.

Katrina
03-26-2012, 05:03 AM
Sorry Taz,
duh hubs can't remember what he used on the fungus. He said he'll look to see if he can find the email from the guy who came out to look at our pine trees to see what he recommended for the fruit trees we have.

Taz Baby
03-26-2012, 01:37 PM
Sorry Taz,
duh hubs can't remember what he used on the fungus. He said he'll look to see if he can find the email from the guy who came out to look at our pine trees to see what he recommended for the fruit trees we have.

Thanks Katrina. I think that fungus is sour sap but I don't know much when it comes to a fungus that eats your tree