PDA

View Full Version : Dental Emergencies

RedJohn
04-16-2011, 03:13 PM
It is smart to add a dental first aid emergency kit to your BOB or at your BOL.

This should include:

Medications such as, salt, hydrogen peroxide (3%), aspirin or acetaminaphen (Tylenol), oil of cloves and orabase with benzocaine,(like Orabase Oral Protective Paste with Benzocaineon sale at your local pharmacy).

Supplies should include: cotton balls, cotton swabs, gauze pads, tea bags, a toothbrush, dental floss, tooth picks, tweezers, some paraffin or candle wax and an ice pack or a wet frozen wash cloth.

TOOTHACHE: The most common dental emergency. This generally means a badly decayed tooth. As the pain affects the tooth's nerve, treatment involves gently removing any debris lodged in the cavity being careful not to poke deep as this will cause severe pain if the nerve is touched. Next rinse vigorously with warm water. Then soak a small piece of cotton in oil of cloves and insert it in the cavity. This will give temporary relief until a dentist can be reached.

At times the pain may have a more obscure location such as decay under an old filling. As this can be only corrected by a dentist there are two things you can do to help the pain. Administer a pain pill (aspirin or some other analgesic) internally or dissolve a tablet in a half glass (4 oz) of warm water holding it in the mouth for several minutes before spitting it out. DO NOT PLACE A WHOLE TABLET OR ANY PART OF IT IN THE TOOTH OR AGAINST THE SOFT GUM TISSUE AS IT WILL RESULT IN A NASTY BURN.

SWOLLEN JAW: This may be caused by several conditions the most probable being an abscessed tooth. In any case the treatment should be to reduce pain and swelling. An ice pack held on the outside of the jaw, (ten minutes on and ten minutes off) will take care of both. If this does not control the pain, ananalgesic tablet can be given every four hours.

OTHER ORAL INJURIES: Broken teeth, cut lips, bitten tongue or lips if severe means a trip to a dentist as soon as possible. In the mean time rinse the mouth with warm water and place cold compresseson the face opposite the injury. If there is a lot of bleeding, apply direct pressure to the bleeding area. If bleeding does not stop get patient to the emergency room of a hospital as stitches may be necessary.

PROLONGED BLEEDING FOLLOWING AN EXTRACTION: Place a gauze pad or better still a moistened tea bag over the socket and have the patient bite down gently on it for 30 to 45 minutes. The tannic acidin the tea seeps into the tissues and often helps stop the bleeding. If bleeding continues after two hours, call the dentist or take patient to the emergency room of the nearest hospital.

BROKEN JAW: If you suspect the patient's jaw is broken, bring the upper and lower teeth together. Put a necktie, handkerchief or towel under the chin, tying it over the head to immobilize the jaw until you can get the patient to a dentist or the emergency room of a hospital.

PAINFUL ERUPTING TOOTH: In young children teething pain can come from a loose baby tooth or from an erupting permanent tooth. Some relief can be given by crushing a little ice and wrapping it in gauze or a clean piece of cloth and putting it directly on the tooth or gum tissue where it hurts. The numbing effect of the cold, along with an appropriate dose of aspirin, usually provides temporary relief.

In young adults, an erupting 3rd molar (Wisdom tooth), especially if it is impacted, can cause the jaw to swell and be quite painful. Often the gum around the tooth will show signs of infection. Temporary relief can be had by giving aspirin or some other painkiller and by dissolving an aspirin in half a glass of warm water and holding this solution in the mouthover the sore gum. AGAIN DO NOT PLACE A TABLET DIRECTLY OVER THE GUM OR CHEEK OR USE THE ASPIRIN SOLUTION ANY STRONGER THAN RECOMMENDED TO PREVENT BURNING THE TISSUE. The swelling of the jaw can be reduced by using an ice pack on the outside of the face at intervals of ten minutes on and ten minutes off.

COLD SORES, CANKER SORES AND FEVER BLISTERS: Sores in the mouth, lips or tongue can be caused by many reasons, irritation, injuries which bruise or cut the lip or just a run-down condition. The germs which cause most of these sores are always laying just below the surface waiting for a chance to flare up. Usually these lesions last five days no matter what you put on them. Such preparations as Blistex, Carmex, Butyn Dental Ointment or Spirits of Camphor will relieve pain but it is doubtful whether they cause them to heal any sooner. New studies suggest that high levels of another amino acid, arginine can give the body increased resistance to these painful mouth and lip sores.

Generally, when confronted by a dental emergency, you can only relieve the pain and give temporary treatment until the patient can see their dentist. Sometimes, fast prompt emergency treatment can spell the difference between permanently losing a tooth and saving it.

Reprinted from American Survival Guide July 1991

alaska
04-16-2011, 03:31 PM
Good post. I have a kit in my Bag. it has ambesol,clove oil,wax/putty toothpicks and q tips. I have been to the dentist well over 30 times in my life no exxageration. I have been BLESSED WITH SHITTY TEETH lol

Allow me to add a few things.
You can also crush a real aspirin and rub it on gum line for some relief. This was told to me 2 years ago by a dentist, so take it as you will

Clove oil is the only natural item that will relieve pain on an exposed nerve. Be careful when applying because it WILL burn skin,especially inside the mouth. That is what q tips are for. you can aim better with them lol

IMO toothaches are the abosolute worse malady to deal with.

Again, great post ReD

bacpacker
04-16-2011, 03:45 PM
Great post RJ! This is a very weak area in my preps and one to be addressed ASAP.

I agree Alaska, toothaches are horrible. Probably the only pain I've ever had that was worse was a ear ache from a bad throat and ear infection. I used to get them all the time when I was a kid. Sure glad I outgrew those. Clove oil actually helped relieve the pain of that as well. Just a drop or 2 worked to some degree temporarily.

The Stig
04-16-2011, 11:19 PM
Chinook Dental Module | www.chinookmed.com (http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/item/01906/modules/-Chinook-Dental-Module--------------------------)

http://www.chinookmed.com/mas_assets/full/01906.jpg

Contents:
1 Mouth Mirror
1 Dental floss, 12 yd
3 Orasol Packet
1 Clove Oil (Eugenol)
1 Wax Stick
1 DenTemp (Zinc Oxide & Clove Oil)
1 Spatula
10 Cotton Pellets
3 Gauze Dressing, 3"x3", 2's
1 ActCel Hemostatic Gauze, 2"x2"
5 Cotton Rolls
1 Tweezers
4 Toothpicks
8 Ibuprofen, 200 mg Tablet
2 Nitrile Gloves, Large
2 Nitrile Gloves, Medium
1 Hazardous Waste Bag
1 Instructions

RedJohn
04-16-2011, 11:48 PM
Very nice kit.

bacpacker
04-17-2011, 01:02 AM
Very nice. From some of your previous posting, Chinook appears to have all kinds of useful goodies. I gotta make time to go thru their site and place an order.

Stg1swret
04-30-2011, 02:43 AM
Add some Crazy Glue to the kit, if a tooth is broken , and the part isnt, lost crazy glue will hold it in place . Crazy glue also works for closing minor wounds that could require stitches.

bacpacker
04-30-2011, 03:47 AM
+1 on the krazy glue.
My wife use to work for a Dr as their nanny. One weekend at a swimming pool a kid fell and cut their arm open. The Dr was there and used some krazy glue to seal up the wound after cleaning it out and putting in some some triple antibiotic. He did share with her to always use a unopened tube to avoid contamination.

mollypup
10-13-2011, 06:36 PM
I bought a bag of zinc oxide powder and some clove oil in case I needed to make some temporary fillings. You know, of all the illnesses and things that can go wrong with a person post SHTF, having a tooth go bad is the one that scares me the most. Ever since I had a tooth go bad I know how extremely painful it can be. It can hurt so bad that you are literally debilitated and can't function worth a hoot because of the pain. I just don't know how people deal with rotting teeth. I still see people with teeth rotting in their mouths.....I wonder if it hurts or is the pain part over? Have the nerves finally died and what I see are the dead, rotten teeth still barely hanging in the person's mouth? Good grief! I must go brush and floss right now!!!!

ladyhk13
10-13-2011, 09:58 PM
We also have some dental picks (stainless steel) that the Dentist uses to either scrape stuff from the tooth and hygentists use to remove tarter and plaque. If you take care of your teeth properly it greatly reduces the chances of cavities and gingivitis.
Also you should have tubes of cap glue...I'm sure there are many of you out there who have caps on your teeth. If your cap comes off you need to be able to put it back on yourself. My dentist told me I could buy it myself in any pharmacy dept.
When I think of post shtf dental problems all I can think of is Tom Hanks and it turns my stomach! I'm gonna make sure I take real good care of mine until shtf!

Sniper-T
10-14-2011, 02:56 PM
Yup.. this is a tough one post SHTF. a bad tooth can be pulled by wiggling it loose and then using the old string/door method... but how many teeth can you afford to lose before you cant chew? I also have a set of pics, and an awesome dremel set up with some tiny tiny bits. :eek: worse comes to worse... I imagine I would do whatever it takes to fix the problem.

What is the substance that the dentists uses to fill the hole the drill (not the silver filling - the enamel coloured stuff)

I'm thinking that some kind of freezing like the dentist uses would be a good thing to have around too.

Ambesol can be a life or sanity savor if you are a few days away from a dentist. numbs minor things nicely.

I broke a tooth a number of years back on a back-country camping trip, which left the nerve exposed. I was almost to the point where I was ready to pack it in and head home (a 17 hour endeavor), when I came across this little trick...

I tore a piece off a beeswax candle (don't ask... the wife had it) :rolleyes: and molded it into an appropriate sized piece. it took a few tries but I was able to effectively 'cap' the tooth which covered the nerve, and eliminated the pain, and covered the sharp edges that were shredding the inside of my mouth and tongue.

Regular wax didn't work, as it seems to melt and fall off from the heat inside your mouth.

Since then.. I have a small beeswax candle in each or our first-aid kits.

ravensgrove
10-14-2011, 08:19 PM
Just be careful with clove oil, it will also eat your tooth away. It will stop the pain immediately, but it will eat the enamel.

faster
10-16-2011, 09:16 PM
I have ALWAYS been glad that I have full dentures. Been nearly 40 years now. Dentists only want you to keep your teeth cause once you have dentures, they are DONE making $ off of you!

izzyscout21
05-21-2013, 01:34 PM
Just going through an re-reading this thread, Im reminded of how bad a dental emergency would suck..

I really need to get some dental preps going.

Taz Baby
05-21-2013, 01:57 PM
I keep Peroxide and clove oil at arms length just in case of a tooth ache. But I gargle with peroxide every morning and brush my teeth with it to keep healthy teeth. I also do oil pulling with coconut oil.

http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/oil_pulling.html

ladyhk13
05-22-2013, 06:19 AM
I sure wish we had someone here with professional dental experience because this is a HUGE issue that so many people can have problems with. I had a friend who had an abscessed tooth while she was pregnant and it became so infected that it went into her blood stream and they had to pull all of her teeth and give her dentures. What would happen to someone like that if SHTF?

realist
05-22-2013, 01:37 PM
DRT....................not good.

IDTANDY
05-23-2013, 10:11 PM
Here's some info on the Herbal alturnatives.
http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/natural-medicine/herbal-remedies/herbal-remedies-for-dental-problems.htm