PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Preparedness Quiz

The Stig
03-29-2012, 01:16 AM
Interesting quiz about being being prepared found HERE (http://beprepared.com/article.asp?ai=32&name=Emergency%20Preparedness%20Quiz) If you take the quiz online you'll get the answers (or at least what the quiz makers think the answers should be).

How much do you know about emergency preparedness? In a crisis, would you panic or prevail? The answer may surprise you. We've made up a fun quiz to test your knowledge on various disasters and emergency preparedness items. See how well you do by clicking the button on the bottom of the page.

1. True or False: As long as a thunderstorm is five miles away or farther from you, you are pretty safe from lightning strikes.
a) True
b) False

2. When an earthquake strikes, you should:
a) Run outside to avoid falling building debris
b) Take cover under a heavy piece of furniture
c) Panic
d) Lean against an inside wall or stand under an inside doorway
e) B and/or D

3. What is the minimum amount of water that you need to store for one adult for two weeks?
a) 5 gallons
b) 10 gallons
c) 14 gallons
d) 21 gallons

4. Which areas of the United States are vulnerable to earthquakes?
a) The West Coast, particularly California
b) The Eastern Seaboard
c) The central United States
d) All 50 states

5. What's the most common disaster that occurs in the United States?
a) Fire
b) Flood
c) Earthquake
d) Tornado

6. What's the number one disaster related killer in the United States?
a) Fire
b) Flood
c) Earthquake
d) Tornado

7. If your car stalls while you're evacuating from a flood, you should:
a) Stay inside the car until assistance can arrive
b) Leave it
c) Call a towing service
d) Flag someone down to help you start it

8. True or False: Small games and a teddy bear can be very important to keep in your 72-hour kit.
a) True
b) False

9. When treating frostbite, you should:
a) Rub the limbs down with snow
b) Give the victim a cup of hot chocolate to warm up
c) Gradually warm the body by wrapping in dry blankets
d) Plunge the affected areas in HOT water

10. The most dangerous part of a hurricane is
a) The breaking waves
b) The gale-force winds
c) The flood-causing rains
d) The landslides

11. How often should you practice your emergency evacuation plan?
a) Once a year
b) Every six months
c) Every three months
d) Only during an emergency

12. Why are 72-hour kits called 72-hour kits?
a) Most disasters are over in 72 hours or less
b) Three days is just about as long as you can take eating survival food
c) You can't carry more than three days' worth of items at a time
d) It generally takes at least 72 hours for emergency personnel to reach you

The Stig
03-29-2012, 01:17 AM
I will confess that I whizzed through the test really quickly, without giving much thought to the answers. It turns out my gut-feeling answers need calibration. :(

bacpacker
03-29-2012, 01:51 AM
I scored 11/12. Missed the rate to practice your emergency evac plan.

Taz Baby
03-29-2012, 02:25 AM
:( 8/12 not as good as I thought.but then again that is what they think

Grumpy Old Man
03-29-2012, 09:44 PM
I'm with Taz! I got 8/12, but I missed the 2 questions on floods (#6 & 7) and the question # 10 on hurricanes. I disagree with how they asked and the answer provided by them on question #12Their answer was a little more than what was said in answer D and combined some elements of answer A. But it is Emergency Essentials and they have a vested interest in finding holes in our preps that they are uniquely suited to fill.

Oh yeah. As a desert rat not near any arroyos or channels I don't feel too bad about the flood questions- we know better than to try and cross any flowing water here. And it is my plan to stay away from hurricane country! However I will say this, It got me thinking about things, so I need to study up about hurricanes and floods. I'd heard about water falling from the sky in other places, but I always thought that was an old wives' tale,LOL.

bacpacker
03-29-2012, 10:51 PM
Grumpy I agree that some of these questions answers would vary depending on your location. Question #10 for example, if your right on the coast the storm surge is by far the biggest danger. However if your 20 miles inland, tornado's and flooding is much more likely. Although technically I guess the storm surge could be considered flooding.

Stg1swret
03-29-2012, 11:43 PM
12 for 12 . But it really dosen't mean much.

Katrina
03-30-2012, 02:34 AM
Got 11/12 Goofed on the water
I always thought it was 2 gallons per person per day.
at least that's what I've been storing.

austinrob
03-30-2012, 10:10 PM
9/12 here

I understand why they think the breaking waves are the most dangerous part of a hurricane, but that really only applies for the areas right up on the coast. Hurricanes can do tons of damage inland with debris in the winds.

I missed the earthquake cover question. fallback to training when I was a kid said "run outside", so that was my gut answer.

and the "number one killer" I guessed at.

Central TX doesn't have much in the way of breaking waves, nor earthquakes (though we are in a fault zone), so I don't feel too bad about my score.

Sniper-T
03-30-2012, 10:37 PM
8 for me. I got slammed by the huricane Q`s. Being that I live almost as far as humanly possible from any coastline I`m ok with that.

It is somewhat subjective though

Kodiak
04-03-2012, 02:18 PM
7/12