PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know where ....

Katrina
03-30-2012, 04:43 AM
I can find a supply of Mecurechrome or Merthiolate? We used to have it when I was growing up, called it jumping juice, cause it stung like the dickens. But it worked on minor cuts and scrapes. I haven't found anything on line as of yet.

Taz Baby
03-30-2012, 05:14 AM
Are you talking about that antiseptic that turns your skin orange and burns? If so I thought any drugstore carried it and even Wal Mart. I don't use it so I haven't looked for it. Have you checked the health stores?

Katrina
03-30-2012, 06:24 AM
Yup "jumping juice". I haven't seen it in stores lately. I seem to have some fugitive information floating around the brain case that it wasn't being made any more but I haven't found anything on line yet. Just thought you all might have a clue and point me in good directions. Will try the health store in town
Thanks Taz.

The Stig
03-30-2012, 11:50 AM
Believe it or not, Amazon appears to have some.

Check this out (http://www.amazon.com/Eko-Mercurochrome-Topical-Antiseptic-Solution/dp/B000GCKD2M)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21yE7xVVxRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Sniper-T
03-30-2012, 11:52 AM
I thought it was Iodine that turned your skin orange, and stung like &*^%*&*!!

ETA: and Stig posts with a pic while I type...

I recognize that label too, and yeah that was nasty stuff!

izzyscout21
03-30-2012, 10:21 PM
Stig swoops in for the save............

Katrina
03-31-2012, 03:43 AM
Thanks stig, I mst be having a real brain drain not to have checked on Amazon. Of course with all the racket going around me due to the renovations going on, I got me a real bad headache last couple of days, not thinking straight.
Sniper, checked with my sis it was the merthiolate that turned skin red and stung. Mercurochrome turns orange and doesn't sting as bad. Thanks again guys for putting me straight!

realist
03-31-2012, 03:46 AM
Nothing like a little pain to let you know you are still alive..........

carly
04-01-2012, 05:54 AM
Check the ingredients before you order. The merthiolate that used to work so well contained thiomersal. It was banned from over the counter use because of the mercury. That is why merthiolate is hard to find. The popularity dropped after the formula was changed.

Katrina
04-01-2012, 08:03 AM
Thanks carly, I will check. They did the same thing with Tavist-D because a few people had trouble with one of the ingredients in it. When they changed the formula, it stopped working for me.

Grumpy Old Man
04-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Get a quart of Povidone from the feed store. It is iodine based. Cost about $15.00

Katrina
04-06-2012, 04:45 PM
Thanks

IDTANDY
04-06-2012, 10:02 PM
This is some good stuff.
Benzalkonium chloride.

Evolver
04-07-2012, 12:26 AM
I can find a supply of Mecurechrome or Merthiolate? We used to have it when I was growing up, called it jumping juice, cause it stung like the dickens. But it worked on minor cuts and scrapes. I haven't found anything on line as of yet.

Dang girl :mad: You just brought back my nervous twitch back. After reading the words "Mecurechrome and Mentholated" I had severe flash backs of me as a kid and my Dad coming at me with that stuff.:eek:
Thinking back I think it was his own unique sick morbid way of teaching me like his dad taught him... If your going to be stupid you BETTER BE TOUGH. LOL I would come home with road rash after a great jump on my bike or after the high speed wobble kicked in when it was going down a too steep of hill on a skateboard. You know how Merthiolate had the glass applicator? Well he still used that little glass applicator all right! He would lay the bottle on it's side and load that baby up and not dab but smear it using the sides of THAT LITTLE GLASS APPLICATOR. (Twitch) BTW Your "Jumping Juice" Is THE best name that stuff that I have ever heard! It just sum up the whole experience in two words.

The other flash back I get about this stuff is... (twitch) I would pull my hang skins (Some might call them hangnails... sry... no nail but skin) and they would bleed right? Here we go again! Yup one very small dab of that stuff on a small hang skin would creep from one side of your fingernail to the other leaving you with a full on smile on your finger that you now have to HIDE at school for the week!. (Twitch) Grrrrr Katrina! But it looks like you were brainwashed too. (Twitch)

Katrina
04-07-2012, 01:00 AM
Evo, it worked didn't? I had a bottle when the boys were little. But hadn't seen it in quite sometime, that's why I asked. When grand kids were here last week, son 1 was asking if I had any left. Grand son had boo boo, he wanted to put some on. The kids think it's hilarious we call it jumping juice. They don't believe it stings THAT bad. Just wait till they get here in July , bwahahaha! (Evil grandma laugh).

IDTANDY
04-07-2012, 01:43 AM
Evo, it worked didn't? I had a bottle when the boys were little. But hadn't seen it in quite sometime, that's why I asked. When grand kids were here last week, son 1 was asking if I had any left. Grand son had boo boo, he wanted to put some on. The kids think it's hilarious we call it jumping juice. They don't believe it stings THAT bad. Just wait till they get here in July , bwahahaha! (Evil grandma laugh).

Wonderful, true to being a grandparent.

bacpacker
04-07-2012, 01:48 AM
That shit did hurt and make you jump, dance, or something. I gotta say though it did work well.

Katrina
04-07-2012, 02:36 AM
Thanks IT, appreciate the info. If I can't the jumping juice, I will try the others.
Yup ,spoil 'em and let the parents deal with them LOL.
Actually they are very well behaved kids, just wish they were closer.