PDA

View Full Version : Killed my first snake of the season

izzyscout21
03-30-2012, 07:30 PM
I guess it's due to the unusually warm weather this year. I was out working on the chicken coop and he was curled up under some lumber I was moving. Copperhead, about 2 1/2 feet long. Wow. It's a little early for snakes, or so I thought.
ANyway, the kids were around, so I utilized my favorite pest control tool........my Kimber. 1 .45 Corbon sent him to snake heaven. Had it been a black snake or corn snake, I would have relocated him, but with 2 little ones running around, I think I made the right call.

ANyone else seen any slithering reptiles out this season yet?

helomech
03-30-2012, 07:33 PM
Killed 4 copperheads already this year in my yard.

Sniper-T
03-30-2012, 10:59 PM
they any good to eat?

izzyscout21
03-30-2012, 11:14 PM
I dont know. Never thought about it. They would probably be okay, but if I told my wife we were going to eat it, she would probably divorce me.

Sniper-T
03-30-2012, 11:17 PM
well... you gotta weigh the advantages and disadvantages. how plentiful are they, how much meat are they going to put in the freezer? etc

bwahahahaha

bacpacker
03-31-2012, 12:19 AM
I haven't seen any yet around here. But we don't usually see too many around here. Izzy I'm betting you will see more. I know that area is fairly well known for copperheads.

helomech
03-31-2012, 01:17 AM
they any good to eat?

Won't get much meat off one. They are fairly small.

Optimist
03-31-2012, 02:01 AM
Copperhead, and his cousin the water moccasin aren't very good eating. Rattlesnake is much better vittles.

Taz Baby
03-31-2012, 02:12 AM
last year we kill 5. 4 were small and 1 was about 5 ft. I have ate rattle snake and that is very good meat, but never ate copperhead.

realist
03-31-2012, 04:11 AM
I don't like snakes, you all have my permission to shoot, club or hack each one you find at will........with my blessings.

izzyscout21
03-31-2012, 04:36 AM
Realist. I will take that into consideration next time! LOL:D

Twitchy
03-31-2012, 04:59 AM
Eh... i dont like snakes...

If I recall, the copperheads are extra dangerous now because they reduced manufacturing their anti venom due to the companies not making a profit... May be a rumor, but if that's true id kill the bastards! Oh hell, who am i kidding, I'd kill it anyways.... I don't like poisonous snakes... We have too many snakes down here...

bacpacker
03-31-2012, 03:50 PM
I worry a lot more about copper heads around here than Rattler's. No warning, they are amazing at blending into the background, and are just dam mean. rattler's will wran you and flee if they can, copper heads just wait and strike. They do have a lot less potent venom than a rattler.

helomech
03-31-2012, 04:01 PM
I worry a lot more about copper heads around here than Rattler's. No warning, they are amazing at blending into the background, and are just dam mean. rattler's will wran you and flee if they can, copper heads just wait and strike. They do have a lot less potent venom than a rattler.

I have found that copperheads are not aggressive at all. My puppy stepped on on the other night and it didn't even try to strike. I have picked up a bunch of them and they never got aggressive.

Here is the biggest one I ever caught, and yes I did release him alive.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/helomech1973/work/MVC-032F1.jpg

Taz Baby
03-31-2012, 04:35 PM
I have found that copperheads are not aggressive at all. My puppy stepped on on the other night and it didn't even try to strike. I have picked up a bunch of them and they never got aggressive.

Are you CRAZY? I would never pick a copperhead up. If you are lucky enough to find one that has just eaten, then it would not be aggressive. But I am not going to ask them if they are hungry or not, I am going to KILL everyone I find. All the one's we have found are very aggressive and strike at everything and when they strike they jump at you.

helomech
03-31-2012, 04:56 PM
Are you CRAZY? I would never pick a copperhead up. If you are lucky enough to find one that has just eaten, then it would not be aggressive. But I am not going to ask them if they are hungry or not, I am going to KILL everyone I find. All the one's we have found are very aggressive and strike at everything and when they strike they jump at you.

I have caught at least 20 of them, and killed more than that and never had one strike at me. The one in the pic I had to poke it over and over again to get it to strike a stick. I wanted to catch the strike on camera, but I was to slow and only got it to strike twice. Even though I tried for over 5 minutes. I catch every snake I see. Even caught a few coral snakes, those are very docile. Now a water maccasin is very aggressive.

Sniper-T
03-31-2012, 05:01 PM

I love the cabinets in the background... Guns and Grease!

lol. man's garage

helomech
03-31-2012, 05:06 PM
I love the cabinets in the background... Guns and Grease!

lol. man's garage

That is actually the hanger we work on our helicopters in. Just grease guns, no real guns.:(

izzyscout21
03-31-2012, 05:47 PM

You have more stones than I do in this matter.

helomech
03-31-2012, 05:54 PM
You have more stones than I do in this matter.

I don't mind snakes much, only have to watch out for the head. Unlike other animals that have many ways to hurt you.

Grumpy Old Man
04-02-2012, 08:35 PM

Way cool Helo!!! WheN I was a teenager and later I was (and still am) an amateur herpetologist. That is a beautiful specimen and very large, so he is probably the ophidian version of ol' Grumpy. If you happen to kill one around 30" I have a brown Tom Mix hat that is crying out for a copperhead hat band! I'll send you the glycerin!;)

helomech
04-02-2012, 08:46 PM
Way cool Helo!!! WheN I was a teenager and later I was (and still am) an amateur herpetologist. That is a beautiful specimen and very large, so he is probably the ophidian version of ol' Grumpy. If you happen to kill one around 30" I have a brown Tom Mix hat that is crying out for a copperhead hat band! I'll send you the glycerin!;)

I usually don't kill them, only kill the ones right near the house. Scared the dogs or kids will get bit. The one in this pic was well over 3 feet. But I'll keep you in mind if I see a big one.

Sniper-T
04-13-2012, 12:06 PM
I just got this via email, so I don't know the authenticity of it. But I thought I'd share anyways. Maybe some of you from the panhandle can confirm it...

THIS IS WHY YOU NEED A CONCEALED PISTOL LICENSE
SO YOU CAN LEGALLY CARRY IN THE FLORIDA SWAMPS!
THESE ARE THE GUYS LIVING IN THE FLORIDA EVERGLADES NOW! Seems a sheep farmer was puzzled about the disappearance of some sheep on his farm. After a few weeks the farmer decided to put up an electric fence.

About a week later, this is what he found!

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/UNKNOWN_PARAMETER_VALUE1.jpg

Now, I know we've all heard of people being eaten by snakes & I bet most of us have said, 'If a snake tried to eat me, I'd blah, blah, blah & get away.'

Well, this is a Python & they're extremely aggressive & have a few teeth that they use to hold their prey while they wrap around them & then constrict.

Could you get away if this one bit you & held on with it's 'few teeth?'

(Note: The wires are 10 inches apart.) 2O IN. GAP!!!

izzyscout21
04-13-2012, 01:05 PM
I would absolutely shit a brick

Twitchy
04-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Eh, pythons in the everglades... they are nasty... they have eaten gators whole too... All I can say is that the everglades is quickly becoming a target rich environment if you like hunting invasive snakes...

Stormfeather
04-13-2012, 03:33 PM
I would absolutely shit a brick

*nodding head* yup. . . .

Taz Baby
04-13-2012, 09:41 PM
I just got this via email, so I don't know the authenticity of it. But I thought I'd share anyways. Maybe some of you from the panhandle can confirm it...

THESE ARE THE GUYS LIVING IN THE FLORIDA EVERGLADES NOW! Seems a sheep farmer was puzzled about the disappearance of some sheep on his farm. After a few weeks the farmer decided to put up an electric fence.

Now, I know we've all heard of people being eaten by snakes & I bet most of us have said, 'If a snake tried to eat me, I'd blah, blah, blah & get away.'

Well, this is a Python & they're extremely aggressive & have a few teeth that they use to hold their prey while they wrap around them & then constrict.

Looks about the same size as the one I had. Raised her from birth. She was a Burmese Python. Beautiful snake. When I got rid of hershe was 15 ft. long, weigh 100 and loved to ride in the truck.

here is what one that size looks like. This is not her. My snakes name was Venus

http://media.naplesnews.com/media/img/photos/2012/03/29/510191_t607.JPG

izzyscout21
04-13-2012, 09:46 PM

I see a nice set of boots in someone's future...............

izzyscout21
04-13-2012, 09:47 PM
Looks about the same size as the one I had. Raised her from birth. She was a Burmese Python. Beautiful snake. When I got rid of hershe was 15 ft. long, weigh 100 and loved to ride in the truck.

here is what one that size looks like. This is not her. My snakes name was Venus

http://media.naplesnews.com/media/img/photos/2012/03/29/510191_t607.JPG

You are nuts.

Twitchy
04-13-2012, 10:01 PM

All I can say is, that thing reminds me of something id see in Tremors or some other monster movie... I agree with izzy, I see boots, belts, and a host of other products from him if i found him! I think its the teeth that realyl scare the **** out of me... if he closed his damn mouth he would look pretty cool... and maybe a little less monster like...

Brownwater Riverrat 13
04-13-2012, 10:06 PM
That picture has been around since I was still on active duty so I know It was "06" but he/she sure is a beautiful thing. Killed by an electric fence. Yes, Florida does have it's problems now. When we were kids growing up in florida we used to catch water moccasins, coral snakes, (kill) rattle snakes. Boy were we dumb. But that's what being a kid was all about. I mean, wasn't it? Going out and "playing" that's what you did.

Be safe.............the night is your friend.

Taz Baby
04-13-2012, 10:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0Ld36WpEFE

bacpacker
04-14-2012, 01:49 AM
Shiiit

mitunnelrat
04-14-2012, 08:28 PM
I think, if I lived in FL near the Everglades, my EDC gun would have to be an S&W 500 or a Desert Eagle

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Tapatalk

Evolver
04-15-2012, 07:45 PM
Here is another one of our FL snake's

It's a Coral Snake and not the look-a-like King Snake.
Red touches yellow, dangerous fellow. Red touches black, friend to Jack
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss162/xplore2c/173917.jpg

Our dog had this one stunned by her barking. It just laid there until I tried to grab it with those extender grab thing's. I was able to get it into the bucket then Justa lopped it head of with a pair of garden loppers. There's just too many kids and pets in the area to release it.

Twitchy
04-15-2012, 07:56 PM
this thread is an example of why i want to live alaska... no pythons, coral snakes, etc. I go by this, IF it has no legs and slithers, kill it. if it has 8 legs, kill it with fire, if it has 6 legs and wings, you are authorized to use chemical warfare. all other 2,4,6, milli, centi, leg creatures are dealt with at MY discretion, often associated with my attitude at the current moment.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
04-15-2012, 08:19 PM
Here is another one of our FL snake's

It's a Coral Snake and not the look-a-like King Snake.
Red touches yellow, dangerous fellow. Red touches black, friend to Jack
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss162/xplore2c/173917.jpg

Our dog had this one stunned by her barking. It just laid there until I tried to grab it with those extender grab thing's. I was able to get it into the bucket then Justa lopped it head of with a pair of garden loppers. There's just too many kids and pets in the area to release it.

Well my wife's rolling on the floor, trying to picture this whole thing "Justa" the snake killer, we see who's the warrior now. She's still laughing. You two are cruel, just pick the dang thing up just behind the head. They have small teeth, no fangs and they have to get to the soft tissue. She's still laughing. "Go Justa!" Sorry dude, but I would have just relocated him. When I was a kid I used to kill'em. I did it because I was bitten by two water moccasins, bad ju ju. Killed every snake that was poisonous, then skin'em and tack'em to a board as trophy's. what a joy to be a kid living in Florida back in the 60's and 70's huh? "Girl Power" she's saying now. Man I don't know if you're going to live this one down. She's thinking she (Justa) just pushed you aside and killed it. Oh, she just said "at least you got the rhyme right" man I gotta stop. Before you kick my ass. OK get off line before you become a sniper and take my ass out!

Be safe............the night is your friend.

Taz Baby
04-15-2012, 08:30 PM
Well my wife's rolling on the floor, trying to picture this whole thing "Justa" the snake killer, we see who's the warrior now. She's still laughing. You two are cruel, just pick the dang thing up just behind the head. They have small teeth, no fangs and they have to get to the soft tissue. She's still laughing. "Go Justa!" Sorry dude, but I would have just relocated him. When I was a kid I used to kill'em. I did it because I was bitten by two water moccasins, bad ju ju. Killed every snake that was poisonous, then skin'em and tack'em to a board as trophy's. what a joy to be a kid living in Florida back in the 60's and 70's huh? "Girl Power" she's saying now. Man I don't know if you're going to live this one down. She's thinking she (Justa) just pushed you aside and killed it. Oh, she just said "at least you got the rhyme right" man I gotta stop. Before you kick my ass. OK get off line before you become a sniper and take my ass out!

When I first read this, I too started laughing, from seeing the image of "Justa" with the gun, pushing "Evolver" out of the way to get a clear shot. "Evolver" running away as the gun goes off. "Justa" turning and asking him, "Why are you running?" But me being the woman that I am was not going to let it be known , as to make fun of Elvolver, but since you (BWRR) brought it up.........I had to........ Evolver I hope you understand, BWRR started it. I too would of killed it instead of turning it loose, only because I would not want to run across it again and again and again.

Twitchy
04-15-2012, 09:03 PM
I'm going to start charging yall for damage to my computer equipment!!!!!!! LOL, you guys crack me up...

Taz Baby
04-15-2012, 09:22 PM
I'm going to start charging yall for damage to my computer equipment!!!!!!! LOL, you guys crack me up...

you need me to send you some screen cleaner to clean the spew off your screen?

Evolver
04-15-2012, 09:32 PM
LOL Too funny!!! Yeah she was pushing me aside after I took the picture with lopper's in hand and that look in her eye! :)

Evolver
04-15-2012, 10:07 PM

Yup, I do have a good team mate but the thing I worry about is... If we ever get a uninvited guest in our house she might take him out before I get a chance to play. The girl is swift and dead on and it's comforting to know that she can take care of herself when need be.

Twitchy
04-15-2012, 10:28 PM
you need me to send you some screen cleaner to clean the spew off your screen?

That would be much obliged! I take it you learned after joining the board eh? LOL!!

Taz Baby
04-15-2012, 10:31 PM
That would be much obliged! I take it you learned after joining the board eh? LOL!!

quick on my feet and a very fast learner indeed

Twitchy
04-16-2012, 02:20 AM
Addendum to my last post, if it has 8 legs and you wish to not urn your house down, you may use an alternatively deadly weapon, such as a lawn mower blade conveniently stashed in the laundry room.

ladyhk13
04-16-2012, 02:32 AM
Ok, I have to set the record straight....I wasn't just laughing. I fell off the couch laughng so hard, fell over on my back like a dying cockaroach laughing, tried to stop as to not to make fun of Evolver - really did - and then just couldn't stop and started all over again to the point I couldn't breathe and had to use my inhaler. In my head I'm seeing this sneaky snake come slithering up...Evolver the He Man to the rescue with his "tongs" but alas, the snake will have nothing to do with it...it fights back - curls up in the bucket and bares it's ugly fangs in utter compempt saying "you cannot hurt me!!! I'm a lean mean poisonous snake and you are a mere mortal." They go back and forth - tongs to the right, snake to the left...ahah! Snake 3, human 0.
Then along comes Mighty Justa! TA DA!!!! Stomping across the yard with her loppers in hand, swinging back and forth. "Let me at that thing, " get out of the way." As she stares long and hard into the black beady eyes of the dangerous reptile who could easily kill her with one quick strike, our courageous Justa plans her attack as she sways back and forth to hypnotize the beasty beast and just as Evolver thinks nothing is going to happen....BAM!!!!!! Justa snatches the head off of that snake with quick precision only a woman could have. The thing never saw it coming and neither did Evolver. She was like a streak of lightening! Evolvers eyes almost bugged out of his head at his wife's technique and skill! He had no idea and about crapped his pants because she saved his butt! Girl Power!!!!!! Justa The Snake Killer and All Time Warrior! Good job! Sorry Evolver, I didn't mean to laugh at you but my imagination just went nuts seeing the event in my head!!!!!!!

Taz Baby
04-16-2012, 02:53 AM
Ok, I have to set the record straight....I wasn't just laughing. I fell off the couch laughng so hard, fell over on my back like a dying cockaroach laughing, tried to stop as to not to make fun of Evolver - really did - and then just couldn't stop and started all over again to the point I couldn't breathe and had to use my inhaler. In my head I'm seeing this sneaky snake come slithering up...Evolver the He Man to the rescue with his "tongs" but alas, the snake will have nothing to do with it...it fights back - curls up in the bucket and bares it's ugly fangs in utter compempt saying "you cannot hurt me!!! I'm a lean mean poisonous snake and you are a mere mortal." They go back and forth - tongs to the right, snake to the left...ahah! Snake 3, human 0.
Then along comes Mighty Justa! TA DA!!!! Stomping across the yard with her loppers in hand, swinging back and forth. "Let me at that thing, " get out of the way." As she stares long and hard into the black beady eyes of the dangerous reptile who could easily kill her with one quick strike, our courageous Justa plans her attack as she sways back and forth to hypnotize the beasty beast and just as Evolver thinks nothing is going to happen....BAM!!!!!! Justa snatches the head off of that snake with quick precision only a woman could have. The thing never saw it coming and neither did Evolver. She was like a streak of lightening! Evolvers eyes almost bugged out of his head at his wife's technique and skill! He had no idea and about crapped his pants because she saved his butt! Girl Power!!!!!! Justa The Snake Killer and All Time Warrior! Good job! Sorry Evolver, I didn't mean to laugh at you but my imagination just went nuts seeing the event in my head!!!!!!!
Evolver, if you have pictures of this Lady can write a "JUSTA The Snake Killing Warrior" BOOK.
some of the proceeds can pay for your therapy. I think we are having way to much fun with this one.............. Thanks for the laughing fits. Evolver, you are so lucky to have Justa. Not only can she save you from deadly creatures, but she can cook them too.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
04-16-2012, 04:31 PM
As John Wayne said "Never apologize, it's a sign of weakness" ok man (EVOLVER) you're just going to be faster and I wouldn't have started it. I have this thing about seizing a "target of opportunity" call it training. There was this little red dot and I squeezed the trigger. Try not to let me do it again OK? Sometimes I just can't resist, I also trained LadyHK13.....................good thing or bad thing?

Evolver
04-16-2012, 11:01 PM
You two crack me up! This is some funny shit here and laughter is good for the soul but just beware pay backs are a bitch. :p

Evolver is pulling off the dust caps.

ladyhk13
04-16-2012, 11:22 PM
You two crack me up! This is some funny shit here and laughter is good for the soul but just beware pay backs are a bitch. :p

I really needed the laugh. I just couldn't help sharing it! Evolver, thank you so much for the imagination kick start. Totally priceless. I think Justa has earned a new name "JUSTA The Snake Killing Warrior Princess" She totally rocks!

Brownwater Riverrat 13
04-17-2012, 03:33 AM

Roger that, fire at will................

The Stig
04-22-2012, 12:19 AM
Well....I can join the club. Mrs. Stig found a copperhead in the front yard late this afternoon. Me and a neighbor, who responded to her scream (very encouraging) dispatched it with some hedge pruners that Mrs Stig left laying there when she was startled by the reptile.

Taz Baby
04-22-2012, 12:22 AM
So a hedge clipper is the tool to kill snakes with? whoda thunk. I thought it would be a gun. :rolleyes:

bacpacker
04-22-2012, 12:30 AM
A hoe or shovel works well, with a longer handle.

The Stig
04-22-2012, 01:20 AM
So a hedge clipper is the tool to kill snakes with? whoda thunk. I thought it would be a gun. :rolleyes:

Actually I loaded up a Co2 pistol and tool it outside with a hoe (I live in a development so didn't want to let loose with the 12ga). The neighbor just happened to pick up the hedge clippers before I could do anything. Otherwise I'd I shot the little bugger myself and then chopped the shit out of him all ninja style.

ladyhk13
04-24-2012, 01:51 AM
Actually I loaded up a Co2 pistol and tool it outside with a hoe (I live in a development so didn't want to let loose with the 12ga). The neighbor just happened to pick up the hedge clippers before I could do anything. Otherwise I'd I shot the little bugger myself and then chopped the shit out of him all ninja style.

Uh huh....it's your story and ya can tell it any way you want Stig. It's ok, we're all family here.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
04-24-2012, 01:58 AM
I'll bet it was your neighbor's wife too..............

Man you guys gotta quit leaving yourselves so wide open for this shit! I just can't resist. Of course I'll take my hits as well, so again I say when you find the opportunity, fire at will.

AlphaTea
04-29-2012, 02:40 AM
Back around Thanksgiving I was visiting Mom in Florida. She has a modest farm. Has sheep to cut the grass and she has about 500 or so "Free range" chickens. She sells eggs to bakery's, country clubs, restaurants etc.
So anyway one of the Maremmas (sheep dog) was raising hell with something in the pasture. Mom starts having fits about the dog finding another snake. Wifey is raising the roof for me to go shoot it "Just in case". I was unable to locate my G30 magazine of birdshot So I was going to give it a couple of rounds of 185gr Corbon DPX.
Just before I squeeze the trigger, Moms SO shows up and says "Here, use this!" and hands me a shotgun that probably had a 30 inch barrel.
He held the dog back and i proceeded to poke the snake to get a better idea for make and model. Being from Dixie I know what a Cotton Mouth looks like and that there are slight regional differences in color. At first I thought it was a Hognose but as I got a better look at the head I knew it was full blown Florida Water Moccasin. Yea, I know, its still a Cottonmouth.
Said snake was found guilty of trespassing and being a messenger of evil.
The sentence was to be carried out by me as required by the Judges (Mom and SO), Jury (Wifey and TAST) and associated farm critters as witnesses.
I figured I would just hit him behind the head to cease all bodily functions.
I took aim and just as I was putting pressure on the trigger, the Maremma, who was being held by the collar, turns sideways and kind of backs into the back of my knees.
I blew the snakes head to hell. There was no head left. Gone. Disintegrated. Kabloooey.
Damn. I wanted to do a post mortem ID on it.
Well anyway, that snakes body was doing somersaults and jumping all over the place. Wifey was all kind of freaking out. I guess it was the evil trying to get out. Took about a minute or so to stop.
We poked it a few times to see if it would move any more. Nope. Dedernhell.
I looked up (what was left) on the internet to make sure I had the correct snake. Sure enough a Agkistrodon piscivorus conanti. Was about 3.5 feet long

Brownwater Riverrat 13
04-29-2012, 02:26 PM
I'll bet it was nice'n chubby lil feller wun't it? I seen cupl'em in my day. A kin be meeen.....you wachout now hear me? You's lissen to yor MOMS cause she ain't stupid, dang shot gun don't miss. Don't have to worry bout no foolin around tryin to aim and all. Just pull dem puppies! Get rida dat cottom mout rite quik! Whooo I garuuunnnteee! Dang women always screwin tings up for da man do, always jumpin and savin da day.............sheeeeeeet...........Gotta go now. We ain't never going to get ahead.

Be safe............. the night is your friend

Brownwater Riverrat 13
05-01-2012, 01:01 AM
OK so it wasn't the greatest "Swamp People" impression. You had to be there............in my head of course.

The Stig
05-02-2012, 12:35 AM
I'll bet it was nice'n chubby lil feller wun't it? I seen cupl'em in my day. A kin be meeen.....you wachout now hear me? You's lissen to yor MOMS cause she ain't stupid, dang shot gun don't miss. Don't have to worry bout no foolin around tryin to aim and all. Just pull dem puppies! Get rida dat cottom mout rite quik! Whooo I garuuunnnteee! Dang women always screwin tings up for da man do, always jumpin and savin da day.............sheeeeeeet...........Gotta go now. We ain't never going to get ahead.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/10569124.jpg

Brownwater Riverrat 13
05-02-2012, 02:05 AM
I had a moment........it's over now, you all can go about your business. Nothing to see here, carry on. It's the voices...........I tell ya.........

ladyhk13
05-02-2012, 02:24 AM
I told him to stop watching Swamp People!!!

Evolver
05-02-2012, 02:25 AM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/10569124.jpg

Stig... you just kicked my ass at the snipers range and Justa just had to pick me up off the floor from a chronic case of laughter. Too good!!! Brownwater Riverrat 13, there is no need to be looking over your shoulder any more as far as I'm concerned Stig just nailed you for all of us. Oh my face still hurts from laughing.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
05-02-2012, 02:37 AM
So you two got a little snipers range to play at down in FL? How bad was it? What some people think are funny is another thing, just look at me.......I'm hopeless, sheez. But I hope it get's better than this. I'm good, keep goin. It's Going to have to take more than this. But if you consider me "nailed" ok.

Be safe.............the night is your friend

AlphaTea
05-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Thanks STIG.
I wasn't quite sure how to respond...

izzyscout21
05-07-2012, 07:17 PM
I told him to stop watching Swamp People!!!

sad part is that I understood every bit of that...............

piranha2
05-08-2012, 12:22 AM

Me too.........gotta wonder

Brownwater Riverrat 13
05-09-2012, 06:36 PM
OK, soooo I'm not as think as you stoned I am. I just spelled it the way it sounds.....................BTDT got the coffee mug and the Zippo, I like Zippo's!

bacpacker
05-09-2012, 09:49 PM
OK, soooo I'm not as think as you stoned I am. I just spelled it the way it sounds.....................BTDT got the coffee mug and the Zippo, I like Zippo's!

BRR, Is that something like ociffer take me drunk I'm home?

Grumpy Old Man
05-09-2012, 10:19 PM

Me too! I'm not a Kommiefornicastani; I just work here. I've called and talked to my ex in the Ozarks and slipped back into the dialect, then when I'm talking to people at work they'll tell me I have an accent. I just don't understand, bless their hearts.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
05-10-2012, 02:30 AM
BRR, Is that something like ociffer take me drunk I'm home?

Actually.............yeah. But he told me to blow in his sunglasses to see if his eyes were red. You know what? They were........good thing I wasn't drinkin.

Be safe..............the night is your friend.

The Stig
05-18-2012, 12:26 PM
Neighbor and I relocated a 3' bull-snake from the front yard to a new habitat.

Yay snakes :/

Taz Baby
05-18-2012, 01:05 PM
home last, grass as tall as me, snakes partying at my house while I was gone. So far I have seen 1 5' black, 1 water moccassin, 2 rattlesnakes, 2 copperhead.

bacpacker
05-18-2012, 01:26 PM
Taz sounds like you need to cook up some snake stew.

Taz Baby
05-18-2012, 02:10 PM
BP just waiting on the carrots and taters to grow

bacpacker
05-18-2012, 02:28 PM
Just a couple of months till they get started. We pulled our first green oniona over the weekend

Brownwater Riverrat 13
05-19-2012, 02:55 PM
home last, grass as tall as me, snakes partying at my house while I was gone. So far I have seen 1 5' black, 1 water moccassin, 2 rattlesnakes, 2 copperhead.

Oh Yeah, well we went out to our property and it's grown so much I can't see my wife standin on top of a 4 wheeler and we seen 5 bagillion White spotted ticks the size of cow pattys and Battalions of them little ones just marchin in behind them screamin somethin about Oooh-Deee-Laaah Ooooh, Oooh-Deeeee-Laaah Oooooh. Guess we goin to have to squish'em with the bulldozer.

ladyhk13
05-19-2012, 03:05 PM
Except those damn things don't squish! They just flatten out and wait until you get tired of messing with them and as soon as you turn around they are giving you the middle finger salute! I think I'm allergic to the things, they just give me a bite and I'll get it off right away but the spot will turn red and swell up for a week or two and it's sooo painful. I think I really hate country life. I want nice manicured yards, pastures with majestic trees, the trees all gone from near the water so their leaves don't clog things up and decompose and look crappy and be a haven for snakes...Ok I'm a sissy girl. Anyone ever see Green Acres?????????

bacpacker
05-19-2012, 05:32 PM
So your running around on your 4 wheeler in all your diamonds and BWRR is runnin the dozer in a suit and tie?

We gotta see pics of that!

Evolver
05-19-2012, 08:14 PM
Are the ticks like this one?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_6mH3sGkGTeE/THXhwZhfnyI/AAAAAAAACgs/TtYk0OfdrDI/s1600/DSCN3788.JPG

Brownwater Riverrat 13
05-20-2012, 04:46 AM
Yup, they are the kind that will give you the lime disease. They look just like that except they are the size of "Cow Patties" I tell ya! OK, I have never seen that many ticks in one place ever in my life and have been in many woods and jungles throughout my life. It's going to be a fun year until I get all the areas cleared. Thanks for the photo, do you have any additional intell on these critters we need to know?

Be safe...............the night is your friend.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
05-20-2012, 05:03 AM
So your running around on your 4 wheeler in all your diamonds and BWRR is runnin the dozer in a suit and tie?

We gotta see pics of that!

Actually I loosened the tie a bit, Oliver didn't have a bulldozer either. But we do have a neighbor named "Hoot" not Mr. Haney.

Grumpy Old Man
05-22-2012, 04:29 PM
Yup, they are the kind that will give you the lime disease. They look just like that except they are the size of "Cow Patties" I tell ya! OK, I have never seen that many ticks in one place ever in my life and have been in many woods and jungles throughout my life. It's going to be a fun year until I get all the areas cleared. Thanks for the photo, do you have any additional intell on these critters we need to know?

Be safe...............the night is your friend.

Try mixing equal parts of baby powder and sulfur together and dust your collar, waistband of underwear, sock tops cuffs etc to keep ticks and chiggers at bay. My parents and grandparents used this concoction and we never got bit.

PS Evolver we didn't use tick bit kits on tick bits;)

mitunnelrat
05-22-2012, 07:33 PM
Hey Grumpy, weren't you the guy who said something about witty comments likely not being witty at all, but rather stupid or offensive? ;)

Grumpy Old Man
05-22-2012, 09:13 PM
Hey Grumpy, weren't you the guy who said something about witty comments likely not being witty at all, but rather stupid or offensive? ;)

Of course it was me that posted that particular Murphy"s Law. You don't think I'm immune from those laws do you?:o

mitunnelrat
05-22-2012, 09:19 PM
Lol. Nope. Just wanted to make sure I had the right guy to blame for identifying that particular law...

Not sure how I'm gonna entertain myself now that I know I probably look stupid when I do

Brownwater Riverrat 13
05-23-2012, 04:56 AM
Guess that makes me "stupid and offensive" then..........Thanks for the "snake oil" Grumpy, might just have to give that a shot. I'll have to start using the King's English from now on.

Be safe..............the night is your friend.

Sniper-T
05-24-2012, 11:37 AM
Ticks are extremely common up here. When I'm out cutting my trails I have pulled well over 100 off me over a couple hour stretch. The simplest thing that works, is bug spray. That simple can of OFF. when you go to squish them, use the edge of your fingernail or thumbnail, and they pop quite easily.

If they are already embedded into you, try to avoid pulling them off, as that can break a piece off inside and cause an infection. Give em a spray of off, or rub a dab of vaseline on them. they actually breathe through their ass, so if you mess with that, they will back right out. If they are persistant even after the above treatment, gently 'scratch' across them in a head to toe direction, and they will usually pop out whole

Incidently, Tick collars are a god send for your pets. In seemeingly no time a tiny flat tick will look like a marble. there is also some drops that you put on their back, but you cannot use it if you have more than one dog.

Evolver
05-24-2012, 10:21 PM

Doesn't bother me a bite. :)

Sniper-T
08-27-2012, 02:36 PM
A couple shots of a local, frog headed, two armed snake...

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/0728121345b.jpg

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/0728121345d.jpg

Brownwater Riverrat 13
08-27-2012, 05:45 PM
Hungry little Bugger isn't he..........