PDA

View Full Version : Mung Beans Is this high-protein, low-fat item in your pantry?

Taz Baby
03-30-2012, 10:02 PM
Here is a pic of my mung beans that I started last spring and then put them in the garden. This was my first time growing these little things. I had never heard of them until someone told me about them.

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s395/Taz-Baby/mungbeans.jpg

Here is what I found about them on the internet. (scroll down and under this is about my Mung Beans. I did it my way.)

The minute some people even think about beans they start to feel bloated. This is not the case with this mega-nutritional bean; in fact, this is one of the reasons why it's a popular staple in most vegetarian diets. Mung beans are easily digestible and known for aiding with bloating and digestion problems.
This little round green bean is loaded in vitamins and minerals such as vitamins B, C and E, Folic Acid, Potassium, Magnesium, Copper, Zinc and Protein. Did you know that one cup of mung beans has 14.18 grams of protein? Yep!
Mung beans are one of the easiest and most popular beans for sprouting into bean sprouts. Once they are sprout-ed these beans magically produce vitamin C! Here is how to sprout your mung beans:
You Need:
· 1 Mason Jar
· 1 sprouting lid, or just use the Mason ring and a piece of plastic mesh screen material cut into the size of the jar ring. This is used for straining the water away from beans and allowing the air to circulate while sprouting.
· 1/2 cup Mung Beans
· Water

Instructions:
Place 1/2 cup of Mung Beans into the Mason jar then fill to the top with water and let stand for 12 hours (out of the sun). After 12 hours, drain the water from the beans through the mesh screen. Next, set the Mason jar on its side (out of the sun). Every 12 hours rinse and drain the beans with fresh water and put the jar back on its side. Finally, repeat this process for 3-4 days or until you achieve the sprout size desired. It's that easy!
After your beans have finished sprouting you can refrigerate them for up to 2 weeks.
What do you do with bean sprouts?
Stuff them into a pita sandwich, throw a handful into a stir-fry or top off your salad with these yummy greens. Here’s another idea: try pouring your favorite pickling brine over your sprout-filled Mason
jar and then refrigerating. This will add a delicious and interesting touch to your relish tray! You can also pressure cook your mung beans! Here’s how:
· Pre-soak beans for 4-12 hours
· Add 1 cup Mung Beans to 3 cups water
· Remember: do not use salt when cooking, it interferes with the hydration process and makes the bean tough.
· Once the beans reach 8 psi when on the stove set a timer for 12-15 minutes and let them cook. Next, turn the stove off and let the beans set until the lid unlocks without removing the weight. This will allow the steam to release. Older beans require a few extra minutes of cooking time.
· If you are using a pot vs. pressure cooker adjust the cooking time to 1 hour, and add 15 minutes if the beans are older.

Serve these cooked mung beans with steamed vegetables and your favorite spices. Or, serve in soups and stews or in dishes in place of pasta and
rice.
************************************************** ************************************************** *********

This is what I did with my Mung Beans.

I got the beans at a health food store dried. I planted a good handful in that little pot you see. Those plants made 2 rows about 30 or 40 feet. I planted them like any other bean. Now that was my first time growing Mung beans and I had no idea what they were going to do. I found out that they are a bush bean and make no runners. They grow about 2 ft. tall. the beans and a medium length and the more you pick the more grow. I did find out that they do not make a fat bean but not a flat one either when ready. Also that when they are ready you have to pick them right away or they go to seed fast. I picked them everyday, 2 times a day in the morning and in the evening and they still were going to seed. That many beans were too many for me to keep up with, so I am only going to plant 10 seeds this time and see if I can keep up with those.

I sprouted a bowl of them (about 20 seeds) I did not sprout them like the internet article said to do. I sprouted them like I do all beans. I got one of those plastic containers that a store bought cheesecake comes in. I put a wet paper towel in the bottom and put the dry beans on it. I then put the lid on and set in the sun. Checked them daily and after the 4th day they started sprouting. as they were sprouting I would take them out and rinse them and put them back until they were the size I wanted. Then I just put them on top of a salad and ate them like that. They were very tasty.

I also ate them raw. They have a small little zipper that you can pop the one end off and pull down. The beans are small and they taste like raw peanuts to me. The pod tastes good but is tough and stringy.

I did not pre-soak them. I put some in boiling water also and let them boil 45 min.The pods were still tough but the bean was slightly crunchy. I cooked them longer but never could get them soft to eat the pod like snap beans. I guess you really do need to boil them a long time or use the pressure cooker. I will try this time to boil them like you do red beans and see if that works. I also will pre-soak them too.

I saved the seeds and have plenty for a few years worth of planting since I am not going to plant many at a time.

I would recommend that when you plant them, plant a few 1 week, then plant more the next and so forth. Maybe you can keep up with them that way.

Sniper-T
03-30-2012, 10:10 PM
nice! I picked up a few pounds a few weeks ago, haven`t even tried them yet!

Thanks for the ideas

Taz Baby
03-30-2012, 10:14 PM
http://www.natureswonderland.com.au/images/seeds/mung_bean_sprout.jpg

http://www.natureswonderland.com.au/images/seeds/mung_bean_sprout2.jpg

http://www.natureswonderland.com.au/images/seeds/mung_bean_seed.jpg

Taz Baby
03-30-2012, 10:18 PM
This traditional Indian salad is filling, nutritious (good protein and Folate content), and can be prepared within 10 minutes, with some preplanning.
http://www.natureswonderland.com.au/images/seeds/pesalakura.jpg

Ingredients:
1 cup of mung beans
(Soaked in water for 2 hours and simmered in salted water until tender)
1 onion and 2 green chillies – finely chopped
1 tablespoon of freshly grated coconut
1 teaspoon of ghee or peanut oil
Salt, turmeric and cilantro to taste

Sauté finely chopped onions and green chillies for few minutes, stir in simmered moong beans and seasoning – fresh grated coconut, salt and turmeric.
Mix and cook covered for about 5 minutes. Sprinkle some fresh cilantro and serve

Sniper-T
03-30-2012, 10:41 PM
all good except the coconut. may have to do an `on the fly` substitutions. maybe some diced shrimp, or scallops, or maybe even couscous...

Evolver
03-31-2012, 12:13 AM
Coming from a true carnivore... out of all sprouts I think the mung bean sprouts are the best tasting and alpha sprouts is the worst. I just don't get it... Alpha?

Sniper-T
03-31-2012, 12:29 AM
I don't mind alfalfa sprouts, in fact I've been known to plant a couple acres just for the sprouts!

except of course, I don't eat them... but the deer will push through a 4' barbed wire fence to get into them. I put in a really nice crop of alfa, every year about september... with no plans to harvest anything non meat!

:)