PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION FOR THE LURKERS: Please read

The Stig
03-31-2012, 07:04 PM
Lurkers,

I'm posting this here in hopes more of you will read it rather than in Announcements.

Anyways, brother izzy and I were talking today and we both got to asking, "why don't the lurkers jump into the conversations more often?"

So let me be direct: is there something about the website, topics or membership that prevents you from posting, commenting, or generally joining in?

As they say in the military: permission to speak freely! If there's something holding you back, please let us know. While we can't accommodate everyone, I'd hate to think there's something we're doing that makes someone feel uncomfortable about participating.

Conversely, is there something we should add or change that would encourage you to dive in and share your wisdom?

Every website has more members than active participants, that's a given. But I see a lot of names logging in who either only comment once in a blue moon, or never say anything. Some folks are just content to read and absorb and that's totally cool. But as mentioned, if there's something that's actively stopping you from chiming in let us know.

If you are more comfortable feel free to PM me directly rather than comment in the open forum.

We have a great group of core posters: men and women who honestly just want to be prepared for life's challenging situations. Lunchbox describes this forum as a cyber-campfire and we'll all just sitting around sharing tales. I only wish some of you on the fringes of the circle would move a little closer to the warmth.

Stig

carly
03-31-2012, 10:57 PM
As a regular lurker let me assure you that there is nothing about the site or members to keep one from posting. I can't speak for all lurkers, but I find the site informative and the posters personable. I usually follow a process of lurking for a while then posting after I get a feel for the site. A process made longer this time by the fact that my Tapatalk went crazy for a while and wouldn't let me log in for a while. I had to reinstall.

izzyscout21
04-01-2012, 12:52 AM
Carly,

Thanks for the response! Hope to hear more form you soon.
I hope that those of you who are lurking in the shadows will come out and share some knowledge and experience with us!

Izzy

GunnerMax
04-01-2012, 11:07 AM
I was wondering about this myself, with usually 10+ guests, and 3-4 members on most of the time, but not as many posts as I would have thought.

Foghorn
04-01-2012, 05:43 PM
I like this site and I'm on here lurking a lot. I will post every now and again. For me, when I see a topic that interest me there is usually already a post on the topic that either answers my question or one that pretty much expresses my opinion. Most times I feel that a "me too" post from me would not be very useful. Here on this site and in real life I don't usually have much to say unless I feel that I can add to what has already been said.

I do have one very minor SHTF incident that happen to me late last fall that I thought of starting a thread about just for a WWYD kind of thing. The reason I haven't is that my typing skills are poor at best and I can't seem to get myself to sit down long enough to get the explanation written out.

Just your starting this thread says a lot about how good this site is. It makes me want to contribute more. Thanks a lot.

JMO
Doug

Taz Baby
04-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Foghorn, even if you use one finger to type, get that question on here. We are all here to help each other with what ever they are having trouble with, or need advise on a certain thing. We can only help if we know what it is about, so get to typing. That is what we are here for is to help get prepared.

The Stig
04-02-2012, 12:18 PM
I do have one very minor SHTF incident that happen to me late last fall that I thought of starting a thread about just for a WWYD kind of thing. The reason I haven't is that my typing skills are poor at best and I can't seem to get myself to sit down long enough to get the explanation written out.

Foghorn,

Don't let typing skills hold you back. We're not expecting a publish ready work of art. Typos are expected and you have already demonstrated an understanding of paragraphs so you are cleared hot and GTG.

Thanks for taking the time to respond and your input. It is appreciated.

Stig

izzyscout21
07-26-2012, 06:39 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_h5sfELgawwQ/S-HdSsuhM6I/AAAAAAAACqo/MshKMOntCGQ/s1600/effektive-open.jpg

Echo2
07-26-2012, 07:17 PM
The basic subject of the site tends to lend itself to folks being a bit hesitant to jump in.

For years and years in movies and the media....folks who have been "survivalist" have had a bit of a stereotype for being a nut....I can see where some may not want to be lumped into this category.

Heck....half us folks on here are a bit looney....but hey....when in Rome....:).