PDA

View Full Version : Civilian vs. Military gear for outdoor activities

izzyscout21
03-31-2012, 08:04 PM
As of late, I've been doing a little thinking. Stig's thread about his Marz pouch gave me an idea.

A lot of what we do is focused on outdoor survival skills. Many of us are avid outdoorsmen, some of us are more suburbanite.

I have a strong belief that even if you are not into the zombie/ run and gun/ rambo/ and general defensive mindset, you can still benefit from current production and surplus military gear.

With the recent surge in earthtone military designed gear (vs. camo patterns), even the most tame among us can have good quality gear in more of a low-key fashion.

Take for instance, a battle belt:

While the primary use and design of a dedicated fighting belt is obvious, it can be easily repurposed into a civilian activity friendly setup.

Lose the mag pouches, add a nalgene pouch, and some general purpose pouches, and viola! Now you have a durable hiking rig.

Take backpacks for example.

Civilian Packs are very expensive. New current manufacture military packs from Kifaru or Mystery Ranch can be too. That said, there is normally a reason civilian packs dont resale. The original owner has usually used the piece until it breaks.
Surplus gear on the other hand, has a very long use period. I can buy these items with confidence knowing that it will serve me well into the foreseeable future.

When I was in high school, I was very heavily active in Civil Air Patrol. I did a LOT of Search and Rescue. Many guys on the SAR team used commercially available civilian equipment. I didn't. My gear didn't have the failure rate that their Kelty packs did. Instead of using a hiking waits pack, I carried all my SAR gear in a Blackhawk assault vest. It was easy, convenient and durable. Instead of fishing in a pack for the item I wanted, I just opened up the pouch and grabbed it.

The first premise of military gear is to be durable and functional under extreme, long-term conditions and exposure to the elements. After all, the equipment is intended to be used outdoors and in war. It has to perform.

The military provides a significant amount of equipment that covers basic survival and protection for outdoor use. This includes footgear, clothing, bags, and food and rehydration containers. Because military gear is produced in such mass quantity, many times the items can be cheaper than their private-side counterpart. Just look at the cost difference between a good military rucksack and a similar backpack from top outdoor equipment manufacturers.

Civilian outdoor products are created and made with personal comfort and performance in mind. The goal is to make people feel good while engaged in outdoor activities. As a result, the performance ability of many civilian outdoor products easily exceeds the same part produced for the military. But it may not be as long-lasting. For example, military boots may last for years, while civilian hiking boots may last only two seasons.

Another downside is civilian outdoor equipment can be very expensive. High-end outdoor snow jackets can easily cost more than $350, while a military winter jacket found at a surplus store costs $50.

Military surplus is one source to find quality military outdoor gear at low prices. Items can be half the price of the same item sold new from military suppliers, if you're allowed to buy from these vendors.

Used civilian outdoor gear doesn't hold up so well, and is usually sold off because something failed the original owner. It can be found in some consignment stores, but used civilian gear usually gets given away to charities and can be hard to find in good condition.

You need to try various types of equipment and find the mix that works for you. You may be in love with your high-end snow jacket, but you can also have the same passion for your military-issued backpack and boots. There's no law against using both. Find the mix that works best for you.

If you civy types decide to try out some of the .mil offerings, here's a short list of how to select some of the gear.

There are really a few categories of "Military" gear.

1- Real "Issue" gear. Stuff from SDS and the like, which can be excellent or shitty, depending on what it is, but is generally bomb-proof. Not high tech or loaded with features, but will get the job done, and is very cheap on the surplus market.

2- "Mil-Spec" gear from companies like Rothco, who also make stuff for the DOD, but make a lot of military-style gear for the civilian market. Usually more expensive than genuine surplus and CERTAINLY more shitty. Will probably stand up to light/medium use, depending on the item.

3- Medium-end gear from companies like Condor, Voodoo tactical, and Maxpedition (yes just I went there) that is decently priced, and will hold up to moderate-heavy use depending mainly on the item (some things are great, some are awful) Blackhawk sometimes falls into this category but is usually a little more rugged. Condor has gotten better recently. FWIW, I am very pleased with anything I have ever gotten from Maxpedition

4- High-end tactical gear. Tactical Tailor, Eagle, ATS, and others. Medium-priced gear that won't let you down and is routinely used by high-speed shit-kickers in the sandbox. Excellent quality and still affordable for those of us who don't have a SOCOM budget.

5- Gucci gear- Crye Precision, OSOE, HSGI, KIfaru and other companies. Their gear is extremely expensive but will last a lifetime of daily hard use. Price is justifiable if you want the best gear for your use or those who have a serious thing for expensive nylon.

6- Chinese Crap. Made by no-name airsoft manufacturers for 10 year olds who just HAVE to have their parents buy them a CIRAS vest in multicam. Will probably fall apart just taking it out of the package. Even serious airsofters don't use that crap.

To the soccer moms, stay at home dads, and anyone else out there that don't consider yourself High SPeed LOw Drag, give some of this stuff a look. I think you will be surprised at how useful it really is.

Izzy sends.

mitunnelrat
04-02-2012, 01:49 AM
Really?

I have a Jansport fanny pack, and I bet its just as good as...

lol

Nah, I have a feeling its pretty obvious where I really stand on this one. I have a serious love affair with MOLLE in coyote tan, and it generally doesn't look civilian friendly, though I have tasked it for such use.

I'm not sure how it is that people miss a full frame pistol in a drop leg holster, but they do! lol

rentprop1
04-02-2012, 03:23 AM
2 problems I have with your post, you compared Voodoo tactical with Maxpedition ......lol

and you actually used the term serious airsofters....LMFAO

GunnerMax
04-02-2012, 07:09 AM
Great post. I use a combo of real issue, with high end and Gucci Gear. I recently found Eagle Industries 9mm single MOLLE pouches, new, at $2.99 a pop. I bought 10. I should have bought the whole lot, but someone snapped them up.

I have a condor battlebelt and suspenders, along with a Chinese made Load bearing vest and drop leg platform I am going to phase out without using once. I read this phrase yesterday: "Buy once, cry once." You will cry when you buy high end gear only once, but it wont let you down.

To you guys/gals that are thinking of getting a fighting rig, check out eBay. I got some good stuff at a great price over there. I have some stuff for sale, just PM me. Nothing says quality like a brand new set of trigger finger mittens with wool inserts for $6 :)

I stay away from civilian gear (minus my wife's backpack, for some reason she loves that thing) because #1 most of it is made in china shit, and #2 it usually costs ALOT. I preach to my wife "honey, you will thank me one day" and "I will only have to buy this pouch once in my life"

izzyscout21
04-02-2012, 11:31 AM
and you actually used the term serious airsofters....LMFAO

yeah.....I can't believe I made that gaffe. But truth be told, even though many of them are wannabe's, at least some of them are serious enough choose the good gear.

The Stig
04-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Excellent post and thought.

There is plenty of "military" gear (packs, pouches, bags, etc) that is built to a high standard and bullet proof quality. Folks would be wise to use it when appropriate for their situation, even if that situation is day-to-day use.

Quality & value makes sense whether you're evacuating from a forest fire area or running kids to band practice.

izzyscout21
04-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Right on, Stig.

I placed Maxpedition in the category I did simply due to the fact that i doesn'trally fit in the "high end" category or the "mil spec" group.

That said, Maxpedition makes a fantastic product. I use their bags on a daily basis. The Versipack that I carry around is tan with a civy frindly apperance. I find this is the case with a lot of their gear. It is at home in a classroom, carry around the mall, or amusement park just as well a it fits in in the great outdoors.

Several companies make products that offer military grade performance without appearing overtly "tactical". When the kids were babies, I opted to carry a 5.11 Push pack loadedwith their supplies in contras to my wife's pink diaper bag.

GunnerMax
04-02-2012, 03:01 PM
speaking of that 5.11 push pack, I am in the market for a manly baby diaper bag. I was looking at this, until I scrolled down and looked at the pricetag Original S.O.E. Gear (http://originalsoegear.com/diaperbag.html)

LOL

mitunnelrat
04-03-2012, 07:01 PM
My versipack is awesome. I carried it daily as a GHB for a long time, but recently went to something a little larger for that. I'm trying to decide on what to retask the versipack for now.

My current GHB is a countycomm EOD bag, and I love that thing. Its held up to some serious strain and abuse as an ammo carrier for a bit. (.30 cal ammo cans fit in it perfectly.) I'm gonna give it another go on an overnight trip next month. I'm not sure what to equate it too in the civilian market, but its basically a rectangular pouch that isn't as high or as wide as a laptop or messenger bag, but is as long.

Sniper-T
04-04-2012, 03:32 AM
I have a mixed bag of civie and milsurp. Unfortunately, we don`t have a lot of quality milsurp available locally, and with my limited knowledge of American mil. gear; I am leary about buying online. I am learning, and gravitating more towards mil surp.

Thanks for the post Iz, and for the suggestions all... This Canuck is WAY out of his element with the great gear you guys have readily available!

izzyscout21
04-04-2012, 03:43 AM
Sniper,

No need to be leary.

Between Me, Stig, Lunchbox, and Tunnelrat, most of your questions could probably be answered. We ARE the certified gear whores.

Sniper-T
04-04-2012, 04:02 AM
Come summer, I will be driving down through NDak, Minn, and spending a week in Wisc. Right now I am taking notes, and searching for stores that carry this stuff. I am a hands on guy, I would rather be able to try something, than blindly buy something with no knowledge going in (of 3rd hand only).

LUNCHBOX
04-04-2012, 04:52 AM
This is a good thread in regards to gear. I have handled most everything out from high to low end stuff. I will say this much, you can spend as much as you want and not be happy. As Izzy said....ask the questions before you buy if your in doubt. It doesn't matter if your getting high end or military issue gear. It is not all made the same.

Sniper-t, I don't know how many good locations will be in the area you mentioned. I know there are some in Wash. due to 10th MN. being there. If you need something from this far south just let us know, I've shipped numerous items up north and I'm sure some others would also.

Sniper-T
04-04-2012, 11:13 AM
I know of a couple surplus outlets along the way (and a little out of the way - lol. When the time is getting closer, I will be spending more time getting prices on specific items, and then hopefully I can check them out enroute. If you guys have better prices down there, I'll look at purchasing there. I can always have stuff shipped to an American location that is handy, and pick it up on the way home.

tc556guy
06-19-2012, 06:00 PM
Much of my stuff is mil surp because its cast offs, extras etc of stuff I used in the .mil for 22 years. I used it in the field, so I feel that I know it works. Is it the latest and greatest stuff? Nope, but I don't absolutely need that either.
Much of the civilian stuff is not considered for the cost and durability issues you mentioned.

I'd rather dump the bigger bucks on other gear that I don't already have and save a few bucks by using whats already in my basement until such time as I find a replacement that for whatever reason I feel justified spending the cash on.

izzyscout21
06-19-2012, 06:47 PM
I know of a couple surplus outlets along the way (and a little out of the way - lol. When the time is getting closer, I will be spending more time getting prices on specific items, and then hopefully I can check them out enroute. If you guys have better prices down there, I'll look at purchasing there. I can always have stuff shipped to an American location that is handy, and pick it up on the way home.

Sniper.....you just let me know what you need.....we'll make it happen;)

Stormfeather
07-05-2012, 09:22 AM
Come summer, I will be driving down through NDak, Minn, and spending a week in Wisc. Right now I am taking notes, and searching for stores that carry this stuff. I am a hands on guy, I would rather be able to try something, than blindly buy something with no knowledge going in (of 3rd hand only).

I do expect to get a call/email/smoke signal from you before you pass thru Wisconsin, and a stop in for a frosty beverage and a grilled meal!