PDA

View Full Version : Let your yes be yes, and your no be no

mitunnelrat
04-01-2012, 05:11 PM
I am just a little annoyed at the moment.

Earlier this week I was excited to FINALLY get some batteries and a charger for my comms. I used eBay.

I now further despise sellers on eBay.

Motorola NTN4734A Saber Astro Radio Battery Charger | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorola-NTN4734A-Saber-Astro-Radio-Battery-Charger?item=230752659963&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3D LVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7416462338060747540)

Can anyone see anything wrong with the listing I just linked? I have a seller with a 100% approval rating that is also a top rated seller, the condition listed says, in relevant part
The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended

The seller's description says
This is a used, but in nice condition Motorola NTN4734A Saber Astro Radio Battery Charger

Ok, cool, I'll buy from this guy. I should be pretty safe, right? Not.

I get everything on Friday. Batteries, charger. They come in at the same time. I unpackage everything that night, and SURPRISE! There's no cord with the charger.

W.T.F?

So, I send a message to the seller thanking them for the quick ship, but it seems my cord was missed/ forgotten, could I get it from them please?

The response:

No power cord included, that’s why it wasn’t in the photo.

We received a pallet of them, and they all came without the cord.

It uses a standard 3 prong cord.

So the photo is the standard I should base my purchases on, especially when a seller has multiples of the same item? Am I off base, or is this really as messed up as I think it is?

If an item is missing a component essential to its operation, how can its condition be listed as "fully operational"? It is currently inop.

Bet its gonna cost me more for a cord now than what I thought I was saving in cost + shipping with this buyer...

Sniper-T
04-01-2012, 05:22 PM
ouch!

So much for face value.

Post a pic of the plug recepticle on the unit, as well as the rating tag; if you can.

I've always kept the cords from every electronic everything I have ever had to throw out. I have a box full of them. If I have anything that matches you can have it for shipping.

Taz Baby
04-01-2012, 05:47 PM
I have sold on ebay for years. and bought a few things. Take it up with Ebay. Here is why.
The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended.

fully operational and functions are the words you can argue and the seller will have to either send a cord to make it operational or give you your money back. He also states that return shipping is on you. Wrong because it was not what was stated in the add, therefore it is misleading. Point this out to Ebay when you tell them about it.

mitunnelrat
04-01-2012, 11:10 PM
I think I might have a cord or two tucked away myself, Sniper. I'll have to see what I can come up with. Thanks for the offer though for sure. I'll let you know If I need to take you up on it

Taz. I'm gonna try reconciling with him directly first. If that doesn't work I'll run it up the chain. Thank you for affirming my thoughts on this.

bacpacker
04-02-2012, 12:31 AM
MIT, I think a cord rated for 5-10 amps will be more than enough to run the charger, assuming it's a single hole charger like the one I got. I think a 16 Ga wire would be more than enough.
I to would hit EBay up with this. That was nothing more than false advertising. I've been lucky buying stuff on EBay so far. I picked up some tools back in the winter, stuff for the Sabre radio, & spare batteries for our netbooks. Everything was just as advertised.

mitunnelrat
04-02-2012, 01:24 AM
Electronics are my bane on there. Knowing this I still made an exception for the Saber simply because it was the easiest place to find and deal with.

After this? No more exceptions.

I also just went ahead and bought a cord today. It may be a bit silly, but the OCD side of me demanded I have a black cord to match my black charger, and I was yearning for instant gratification. It worked out because I was able to test it on a charger at work. It was almost identical (the diameter is) to the original Motorola equipment and is charging my radio here just fine.

Cool.

ladyhk13
04-02-2012, 07:03 AM
You still need to make a report about this because the next guy to buy one of these will be ignorant of the issue and get screwed. You could stop it before it happens to someone else.

GunnerMax
04-02-2012, 09:21 AM
I sell on ebay. I buy on ebay. I look at the photo, and read CAREFULLY what is included. If i have a question, i contact the seller. For ex: I ordered some east german AK pouches, and his picture only showed the front. So, I contacted him to ask if there were beltloops on the back, and if so, what size belt could fit. Lo and behold, yes, and 2.5 inch belts.

Yesterday I was perusing for some eagle industries stuff. A guy has a picture of a stack of 9mm pouches, so I click on it. The last line says "bidding for one pouch" There it was. My posts for canteen holders say 1 (ONE) pouch twice within the description, even though my picture has 4 canteen pouches in it.

Contact the seller is there for a reason.

The above is for before you bid/buy.
Below is for after, and you are unhappy: Go ahead and go through the chain as you described.

mitunnelrat
04-03-2012, 07:19 PM
I'm tracking on that, Gunner. I noticed the lack of a cord in the pic, but didn't question it after I read over the entire listing. I chalked it up to the seller having multiples of the same item for sale and showing only a representative picture. I'm about to log on to ebay and see if I can't get him to change his listing before I contact ebay directly.