PDA

View Full Version : so whats wrong with prepping for some disasters and ignoring other possibilities ??

rentprop1
04-02-2012, 01:05 AM
so why prep for everything is my real question, can anyone be totally prepared , I think not..... discuss

reason why I asking, I live in Florida, I prep extra for Hurricanes and bad weather, I live 30 miles from a nuclear power plant and don't prep for a meltdown........I prep for forest fire given I live near a huge state forest, but I ignore prepping for an EMP, I simply don't care if anything electronic works, actually I probably prefer it .

what says you all

helomech
04-02-2012, 01:11 AM
Well there is not a lot of difference in prepping for different things. Most emergencies will require the same type things, sure there will be some differences but, not that many. Like you a EMP does not worry me at all, so I am not making any special preps for EMP.

mitunnelrat
04-02-2012, 01:34 AM
Nothing wrong with it at all. There's a ton of different things out there that may motivate one person to prep, and cause another to yawn, or may make one prepper look crazy to another, or make preppers look crazy to the general public

Its also exactly why we focus on the how and what, rather than the why, here.

Really, at then end of the day, its a matter of running a risk assessment and knowing what threats you may face, and then making an informed decision on what you do to prep for/ against them.

rentprop1
04-02-2012, 03:19 AM
There's a ton of different things out there that may motivate one person to prep, and cause another to yawn, or may make one prepper look crazy to another, or make preppers look crazy to the general public

I guess you are 100 % correct, I think some of the threads I read on a lot of the boards are starting to get to me, on one hand you have folks talking about shooting it out with FEMA agents , another where there is a 3 page discussion about how many pounds, yes pounds of seeds in your GHB, yes GHB , and other topics like the best .22 for home defense etc.....I think maybe its time for a little break from the SHTF forum world....lol

Gunfixr
04-02-2012, 04:06 AM
Nothing at all. You prep for what you feel you need to prep for, and skip the rest if you like.
A lot does overlap, though.
I don't prep for nuclear either, as I'm so close to several major targets I'd not even have time to be blinded by the flash.
I'd just be part of the ash in the crater.
What prep is there for ground zero ??

ladyhk13
04-02-2012, 05:30 AM
I never really "thought" about it but we don't prep for floods here. We don't even carry flood insurance on our house. I don't think we are worried about fires here either since we get such good rain and forest fires are never an issue in our area. Some good advice here about just prepping for what you need and your own situation. Each of us are different even though we all have a common bond. Wonderful, isn't it?

Sniper-T
04-02-2012, 11:17 AM
Prepping is prepping. Everyone has different reasons, and different scenarios to prep for; but the end result is the same. you are trying to give you and your family a leg up in case of an 'event'

30 Mi from a nuke station, and not preparing for it?? What could you do to prepare, other than have a vehicle gassed up, and a bee-line outa dodge?

You're on the right track. Prep for what you can, and don't get caught up in the hoopla in thinking you have to prepare for everything. I'm thousands of miles from the nearest coast. Huricanes mean absolutely nothing to me. Tornados... definately higher on the list. Wildfires... One of my top concerns. As for EMP, Bring it on! It'll be like an extended camping trip, at home!

The Stig
04-02-2012, 11:53 AM
We all have limited resources and time. Pouring them into prepping for situations that have a low probability of happening is foolish. Prep for the things you feel most relevant and drive on. I live in an area where it *might* snow once every 10 years, and then it's a light dusting that melts by lunchtime. It would be rather retarded to put a lot of money into blizzard preps.

Prepping should be practical, not an extended stay in fantasy land.

GunnerMax
04-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Nothing at all. You prep for what you feel you need to prep for, and skip the rest if you like.
A lot does overlap, though.
I don't prep for nuclear either, as I'm so close to several major targets I'd not even have time to be blinded by the flash.
I'd just be part of the ash in the crater.
What prep is there for ground zero ??

I am in the same boat. I am not prepping at all for a NBCR attack. I am so close to the center of where one would be that I dont.

Grumpy Old Man
04-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Jerry D. Young has a list of about 170 plausible disasters that he has prepped for. They range the whole gamut from CME to financial collapse. I think being prepared covers everything. If you can supply warmth, shelter, water and food and protect it, you've got it pretty much covered. For me, earthquakes and wildfires are the two most probable SHTF events in my AO. Others in SoCal won't necessarily have the wildfires to worry about but they have other events that are more likely. And when prepping, as Stig said, prepping should be practical. Don't let it occupy all your spare time and finances; you need relaxation and entertainment. We need to follow the philosophy of my pony, Z-Rainamus the Wonder Horse, "When walking life's trails, don't forget to stop and eat the roses!"