PDA

View Full Version : Hunger Games

Gunfixr
04-02-2012, 04:26 AM
Anybody see this movie?
Saw the trailer waiting to see Act of Valor, and it looked interesting. Well, a friend of our daughter was invited to see it, and then go to her friends' for a sleep over.
You know, a bunch of teenage girls. Glad it wasn't at my house.
Anyway, since one of us had to deliver her to the theater, and we both wanted to see it anyway, we just both went, and stayed to see it ourselves.
Between the time I saw the trailer and the time I saw the movie, I learned that it is based on a trilogy of books, and I believe the author wrote the screenplay.
All in all, we thought is was a pretty good, entertainment wise. It seems to be generating a fair bit of controversy, as it is set with everybody living under a totalitarian regime that has been in power for some time. As "punishment" for some "uprising" that happened quite some time back, every district (there are 12) must submit one male and one female to got to the capitol (where the elite live in opulence, versus the poverty of the rest), get about 1 week training in fighting and survival, and then are set loose to grab whatever supplies and weapons they can. Only one can win, by being the last one alive.
This happens yearly.
Of course the area of "the games" is heavily loaded with cameras, the contestants all have implanted trackers, and the whole thing is televised.
It didn't seem to portray the life under totalitarianism as especially good. It didn't seem to portray any particular country. The elites were pretty freaky, been secluded way too long.
Plenty entertaining, and the best fighter wasn't guaranteed a win, as the elements were just as dangerous as the other players.

Katrina
04-02-2012, 06:20 AM
The books were very good. Haven't seen the movie yet. But heard it's pretty close to the book. I hope, if they make the other two into movies, they stay true to storyline.

ladyhk13
04-02-2012, 06:51 AM
I can't wait to see it. But then again, I was a huge Harry Potter fan :} I never knew that there were a series of books, guess I'm going to have to go buy them now. I might even learn something.

carly
04-02-2012, 06:53 AM
The books were very good. Haven't seen the movie yet. But heard it's pretty close to the book. I hope, if they make the other two into movies, they stay true to storyline.

I've heard some grumbling about changes. However, since the screen play was written by the author I can't imagine that it strays to far.

Sniper-T
04-02-2012, 12:07 PM
I might have to wait for the video... not sure if I'll get the wife out to that one!

lol

Katrina
04-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Thanks carly, I have one last gift card from Christmas to use up. Maybe we'll go this week.

carly
04-02-2012, 04:05 PM
most of the movie was filmed about 15 miles away. I have to say the local crowds seem to have enjoied the movie.

Sniper-T
09-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Saw it with the wife last week. I thought it was ok, I kinda liked the idea of the hunt/battle. Definately something I would have wanted to do when I was that age (and still now - lol)

But the wife... well she had some issues with it. Predominately surrounding the whole idea of kids hunting kids, and killing each other. She coaches and trains children of all ages, and given the hype around this, and the following it has garnered; she was quite disgusted.

How about the rest of you with kids? do you think it is something appropriate for them to see? Have your kids seen it? Do they want to go out into the woods somewhere and play it? Would you let them?

Echo2
09-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Ever heard of paintball?

Tell her she just needs to modify the way shes training them and they will do fine hunting each other.....:)

- - - Updated - - -

And yes....my kids have seen it....thought the folks in there were doing some stupid stuff....I was so proud...:)

Fatty
09-10-2012, 01:30 PM
The whole movie had me questioning society's moral standards. Atleast until the end. The ending rocked. I just don't know how to explain it. In book form, I don't think I would've been so disgusted. But on screen, the visual presentation of a gov't selecting random children to battle to the death to honor history just further proves the level of decay our entertainment department is willing to drop to in order to do its job.

I understand its fiction. The movie has me curious to go and read all the books before the next movie.

I think I compare and contrast this movie to the flick "condemned" Where violent offenders are selected to have it out on an island, winner gets their freedom. The controversy is obvious, and seeing lifers take each other out, to me, is far more justifiable or maybe the term "acceptable" vs. innocent children being taken from their homes by the government to serve that reality's citizens lust for entertainment using past history to justify the need for it.

If this reply didn't make all that much sense, I'm sorry, I tried talking to my wife about this movie for a good hour to try and paint a picture of how taken back I was with this film. I understand the underlying messages and everything, but I know that not in a million years will a movie such as this register as entertainment in this guy's brain housing unit. However, like I said, the ending made me feel a little bit better about it.

idahobob
09-10-2012, 01:31 PM
I read the books back in December while we were visiting our oldest son and his family in TN. Read through them in less that a week (I'm a speed reader). I found them to be very enjoyable and a good scenario to what could happen after a world wide melt down and a PAW that had elites ruling the country and the rest of the surviving country working for the elites (sound familiar?). I found the "Hunger Games" themselves to be a modern version of the Roman Coliseum and the gladiators that fought to the death. The elites have a very decadent society for themselves and have a need to satisfy their blood lust.

We watched the movie, last night. It pretty much stayed with the writers storyline, which I found to be refreshing. So many times, literary license is taken to change and distort writings when they are turned into movies. Lord Of The Rings and The Harry Potter series comes to mind.

There should be another movie or two made to complete the Hunger Games story. I sure hope so. We enjoyed the film.,

Bob
III

LUNCHBOX
09-10-2012, 01:54 PM
I read all 3 books first. The books were very good (IMO) the movie was ok at best. My daughter said it was ok but mostly because the girl won in the end. I feel most people will have an issue with the kid against kid idea....I guess they have never saw a special on any other countries with kids fighting today.

Fatty
09-10-2012, 03:15 PM
In the end, it'll never sit well with me when we make it part of entertainment. Thats just me. Daily gang violence alone is definitely far worse than what was portrayed. But to be honest, no movie has ever had me feeling that way before. It really irked me. It's probably just my points of view/values that have been changing recently, I don't know.

Gunfixr
09-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Yes, I watched it in the theater with my 14yr old daughter there.
I picked up the video last week, and watched it again. My 20yr old son saw it then, as he had missed it in theaters.

While child violence is certainly a terrible thing, I never saw it as the main focus of the movie. If you look at the whole nearly 2 1/2 hrs of filmtime, there's not much violence to it, and the most of it, when the "Games" starts, is kind of in the background, not really focused on. It seems more focused on the lead characters' life and how she gets through this and changes during it. Having the video, with a second disc having a lot of info about the movie, how it was made and why, did bear this out. If you get the video, watch the features disc on the making of the movie, all of that is almost 2hrs long. They did change some things, but mostly because of the fact it was a movie, without the same manner of telling that a book has. From what they said, the book's author was pretty happy with how the movie turned out.

Yes, they filmed most of it right in North Carolina.

slowz1k
09-10-2012, 05:36 PM
I read the trilogy and really enjoyed it. My daughter and wife read them first and kind of drug me into it. Liked the movie as well, though I'm more of a book nut.
We went camping a few months ago in the area where they filmed the arena, and District 12.... Below are a few pics I snapped along the way.

Peetas rock at "Triple Falls" NC
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk95/slowz1k/District12/PeetasRock.jpg

The site during shooting:
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk95/slowz1k/District12/River1.jpg

The inside of Katniss' house. The side window was open. The other houses in the area were trashed and nowhere close to this clean. Notice the wall to the right, and then check out the outside shot of the house. The set crew did a good job of moving the window to where the second door was.
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk95/slowz1k/District12/P1030851.jpg
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk95/slowz1k/District12/P1030850.jpg

The backside of Katniss' house and District 12

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk95/slowz1k/District12/P1030847.jpg

slowz1k
09-10-2012, 05:41 PM
A few more pics:

Back side of Distric 12
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk95/slowz1k/District12/P1030849.jpg

View of Katniss' living room from the back window
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk95/slowz1k/District12/P1030844.jpg

More District 12
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk95/slowz1k/District12/P1030835.jpg

Peetas bakery
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk95/slowz1k/District12/P1030805.jpg

Distance shot of Triple Falls:
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk95/slowz1k/District12/P1030623.jpg

4suchatimeasthis
09-10-2012, 10:05 PM
The books were absolutely fantastic, and while they didn't change the basic plot, the movies were just......incomplete. There is so much depth and vitality to the books, complete explanations, and a much better understanding of the meaning and purpose of...everything. If the books were an A+ the movie was barely a C.

I thought it was a very interesting PAW plot. I would suggest anyone read the books, and then see the movie AGAIN, you will "see" it differently, I promise.

mitunnelrat
09-10-2012, 11:11 PM
The stories were well written, I haven't seen the movie yet. I do agree the child angle wasn't so much the focus as it is part of the context, especially since I have the benefit of having read the whole series.

Another series that was pretty good is "The Maze Runner". It starts out pretty weird, and I didn't like it at first, but stuck it out on a sister's recommendation.
It got better, enough so I don't mind recommending it now.

bacpacker
09-10-2012, 11:53 PM
I've never saw the movie or read the book.

Slowz, that is some great shots of the water fall. I will have to find that and make a trip to do some photography. I love water falls!

ladyhk13
09-11-2012, 03:28 AM
The whole "set" is up for sale now (all those buildings and acreage). Saw it on HGTV not long ago. In the woods where the trees were all blown up is now a tourist attraction.
I finally bought the movie and thought it was pretty good. I think the story was more focused on her values and love of family. We see far worse things in movies on regular t.v. (i.e. rape, robbery, murder) that have no point other than shock factor.
I was raised with horror movies. I raised my son watching horror since he was tiny. I always told him that it was make believe and anytime there was a program that showed the "behind the scenes" stuff we watched it to reinforce that view. He even tells me that to this day when we discuss the topic...he'll say "but mom, you always raised me to know the difference between real and make believe and it's these stupid parents who don't teach their kids and they end up thinking it's all real."
I just bought the books the other day and can't wait to start reading them once I finish the book I've already started.

Katrina
09-11-2012, 04:48 AM
Amen lady. Both boys were raised watching the old classics and old horror films, Vincent Price, Peter Cushing, etc. My oldest said the "modern" blood and gore films are so stupid. His words; "Anyone with half a brain should laugh them outta the theater, they are so fake and dumb" It's one of the reasons he went into the movie biz. He said the old movies left a LOT up to your imagination and that's what HE wants to make, movies that stir the imagination. I could guarantee that if they watched a one of those old 30-40's horror movies when they were younger (14 and 9) in the afternoon BOTH boys would be in bed with mom and dad at 2-3 am that night. Son1 across our feet, son 2 in between us (along with the dog and 3 cats) but they weren't scared, Mind you. Good thing bed was Ca. queen.

ladyhk13
09-11-2012, 07:09 AM
Vincent Price and Scooby Doo were my hero's growing up. What you didn't see was what scared the crap out of you!

Sniper-T
09-11-2012, 10:09 AM
I think I'll pick up the books for my Cruise this winter. I don't think I'll have time before then (I'm in the middle of two now). And that should be enough time to enjoy the series

Gunfixr
09-11-2012, 05:39 PM
The books were absolutely fantastic, and while they didn't change the basic plot, the movies were just......incomplete. There is so much depth and vitality to the books, complete explanations, and a much better understanding of the meaning and purpose of...everything. If the books were an A+ the movie was barely a C.

I thought it was a very interesting PAW plot. I would suggest anyone read the books, and then see the movie AGAIN, you will "see" it differently, I promise.

So true, but then books always have the space to do this. Also, books have no real visual, so they must explain everything in detail so the reader can get a good mental picture.
This is why movies are merely a "Cliffs Notes" version, at best.
I grew up reading Stephen King, John Saul and such. I've seen most of the movies made from the stories I read, and while most were good, they all fell short.

ladyhk13
09-12-2012, 03:12 AM
Steven King's movies were usually the worse ones. His imagination seemed impossible to translate onto screen. Dreamcatcher was a good one but "IT" and "Pet Cemetary" could never make it.
Harry Potter stayed very on point and thought they were awesome.

Sniper-T
09-12-2012, 12:36 PM
I always watch a Steven king movie adaptation with fresh eyes. I put the book out of my miind, and watch the movie for what it is. And usually enjoy them. I cannot think of any movie that was better than the book, or even moderately close.

Echo2
09-12-2012, 06:03 PM
The Green Mile....The Shawshank Redemption.....Misery (to an extent).....Stand by Me....

- - - Updated - - -

I'm curious what they are going to do with The Dark Tower Series......Ron Howard directing.

Sniper-T
09-12-2012, 06:41 PM
^ I can't wait for the dark tower series!!!

"I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I aim with my eye.

I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I shoot with my mind.

I do not kill with my gun; he who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father.
I kill with my heart.”

Words to live (and die) by!

Echo2
09-13-2012, 12:23 AM
There will be water if god wills it....

ladyhk13
09-13-2012, 03:32 AM
I like to watch the movie first if possible so that if I like it I know I'm going to love the books and won't be disappointed by the movie if I do it the other way around. But still, ya gotta love all Steven King anyway.

Katrina
09-16-2012, 07:26 AM
Thought the King movies were ok. Son2 just went to see The Possession. He said don't bother It is so bad that he and wife (and couple sitting row ahead of them ) wanted their money back. He said it's the exorcist done on $1.99 budget.