PDA

View Full Version : Battlebelt Selection- Help!

GunnerMax
04-02-2012, 10:09 AM
I need help deciding on one of these. My shotgun platform will have my condor battle belt (cheap POS), but my AK fighting rig will have a QUALITY battlebelt. I will be getting suspenders, but that is not a hard question.

I will be using a surplus Alice belt with the setup. I have a number of sizes/types to try out. I can also use a Blackhawk riggers belt. A cobra belt (no matter how nifty) is almost useless to me. I cant justify spending money on that (I know, right?!) After the purchase of my AK pouches, and a better belt/dropleg platform, my fighing setup will be complete.

It seems like everyone has their hand in the battle belt honeypot. I am looking for: ability to mount dropleg holster and dropleg platform, ability to connect suspenders for comfort, large MOLLE landscape, comfort, made in the USA (support jobs) and most of all, durability and reliability (same reason for getting an AK). The price does not matter. But is the $42 ATS battle belt better than the $190 crye precision?

On second thought, I will probably order 2 of these due to my upcoming duty change. 1 for personal, 1 for professional use. I might actually get some use out of a battle belt. Remember, I use full armor with sideplates, and a SpecOpsBrand over-armor vest.

Suggestions between these? Any experience? I am hoping to tap the tactical side of your brains :lol: :lol: Do you know of any others? It is hard for me to decide what is best. I have been leaning towards the Viking Tactical Brokok Battlebelt, but I dont know. I have a month to decide, then I will place an order for 2.

SOE Tapered Battle belt
Original S.O.E. Gear (http://originalsoegear.com/taper.html)
ATS Battle Belt
ATS Modular Padded War Belt (http://www.optactical.com/atsmopawarbe.html)
Cyre Precision
Low Profile Belt (http://www.cryeprecision.com/P-BLCB0102LG0/Low-Profile-Belt%E2%84%A2)
HSGI
High Speed Gear, Inc. | Product Detail (http://www.highspeedgearinc.com/proddetail.php?prod=HSG-SGPB)
Viking Tactical
Viking Tactics "Brokos" Battle Belt (http://www.optactical.com/vitabbabe.html)
Tactical Tailor
Tactical Tailor Fight Light Battle Belt (http://www.optactical.com/tatafilibabe.html)
Blue force gear
Blue Force Gear SOC Modular Belt Kit COYOTE BROWN (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Blue-Force-Gear-SOC-Modular-Belt-Kit-COYOTE-BROWN-p/combo-soc-c-01-cb.htm)

izzyscout21
04-02-2012, 11:24 AM
I have the VTAC Brokos Belt.
It is an outstanding piece of kit.
One of the best feature is the ability to use both MOLLE and standard belt attachments.

Out of all your picks, I believe that the Brokos is the only one that allows this.
The Brokos gets my vote

The Stig
04-02-2012, 11:59 AM
I have the ATS.

I'd comment more but I've not put it through any real field testing so whatever I might say wouldn't be worth much.

It does allow for both molle attachments, direct to belt attachments and the use of suspenders.

izzyscout21
04-02-2012, 02:09 PM
My Brokos belt

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx288/2crgrunt/72%20hr/DSCF4630.jpg

Gunfixr
04-02-2012, 08:46 PM
I didn't know about all those, so I just got the Blackhawk belt and went to modifying it.
I have a couple of the Cobra buckles, so I made a cinch belt to go through it. I then custom made suspenders for it. I have it buckling in the back so that there isn't that annoying gap in the middle where you cannot mount anything.
It isn't completely done yet, but there will be attachment points on the back of the suspenders so that a bladder or small pack-type pouch can be added, like a sustainment pouch or something.
It is light and won't be too hot, yet pretty easily changeable, and my pack can be easily worn over it, as it is a smaller 3-day type pack which sits high enough to be over the rear side of the belt.
I am modifying my home made longslide flap holster to go on a MOLLE platform, and building a knife sheath base to go on a MOLLE platform.

mitunnelrat
04-02-2012, 09:12 PM
I have the ATS, and I've overloaded it with a metric shit ton of gear without issue, especially after I got HSGI suspenders for it. Before that I had the ATS suspenders, and they worked well, but the bungees on HSGI's made it far more comfortable, especially with the drop leg helping pull the belt down on that side...

Obviously no combat experience, but I've been woods walking through rough terrain and couldn't tell I had over 20 pounds sitting on my hips at any point in the hikes.

I'm comfortable recommending you give it a go, especially considering higher speed guys than I have endorsed its use elsewhere.

Sniper-T
04-02-2012, 10:42 PM
I have ZERO experience with, nor have any clue about, any of this. I do see a current practical value for me to get something, for range trips, camping and hiking. If SHTF I would look at some key adjustments into a more fighting system..

That said, I am watching this thread with interest, as here, I have a lot to learn!

T.

bacpacker
04-03-2012, 02:10 AM
I'm right there with Sniper on this thread. Plenty to learn here for me.

GunnerMax
04-03-2012, 07:32 AM
Ive ruled out the SOE, HSGI, Tactical Tailor, Cyre Precision, and Blue force. I ruled out the super sexy Cyre because It is not suspender capable. I did not see that earlier. Also, in order to have it useful with Armor, you have to buy an expensive adapter. No thank you!

Left is the, ATSand Brokos.

Im still leaning towards Brokos. I was thinking an ATS for shotty (and sell the unused Condor), and 1 coyoto Brokos for work, and a Multicam one for play :)

izzyscout21
04-03-2012, 03:08 PM
, and 1 coyoto Brokos for work, and a Multicam one for play :)

not to tell you how to spend your cash, bro..... BUT you could just get 1 coyote belt and use it for work AND play...... coyote is very compatible with MC

GunnerMax
04-03-2012, 03:45 PM
izzy, I know it is cost effective to use one for both. But I dont want to have my fighing rig setup with the AK, and my work rig setup for M-4. They dont mix (even though the 3/2 pouch I want to get is good for both). I find it a pain to do any MOLLE weaving.

Reasons for not using, besides the above posts:

My dropleg for work is a Serpa dropleg, with 2 attachment points, and my Glock one is a 1 point Safariland.
My flashlights from work to play are different, and have different holsters
Multitools are different
Canteen pouches are different, along with canteens.

hell, when the time comes I can put in another order for gear/ammo, the wife will limit me. :)

izzyscout21
04-03-2012, 04:11 PM
Gunner.....

I know what you mean.

Take a look at these mag pouches. They hold BOTH AR and AK mags.

HSGI "TACO" Modular Single Rifle Magazine Pouch (http://www.skdtac.com/HSGI-TACO-Modular-Single-Rifle-Magazine-Pouch-p/hsg.227.htm)

HSGI makes awesome gear and these pouches are top notch.

Just trying to save you a little cash in the long run.

rentprop1
04-04-2012, 04:38 AM
so is the SOE Tapered Battle belt, about the only padded part of a belt that you can get separate ?? or are there other companies that make the padded sections ?? ......reason I ask is I already have a 5.11 tactical belt to fit my fat ass and would like to get some sort of padded battle belt......

GunnerMax
04-04-2012, 07:17 AM
Most battlebelts let you use your belt.

rentprop1
04-20-2012, 04:44 AM
gotta bump this with another stupid belt question....sorry in advance

is there any real disadvantage to only a 3 section wide of molly loops like on the 5.11 LBE belt
http://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx302/F007Trace/For%20Sale/belt.jpg

reason I ask is cause a lot of the AR mag pouches are so much longer ( length wise ) with the molly straps ride below the belt by a good 2 inches and it looks like it may ride up......when using a belt do you just use pouches with smaller molly loops, see the right side ( smaller loops ) but the large medical type pouch on the left sits so much lower ???
what to do like in this situation below ??
thanks
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r134/rentprop1guns/lbt05.jpg

mitunnelrat
04-20-2012, 03:17 PM
As long as you weave the straps between the belt and the pouch there isn't any problem. They get locked into place that way regardless of length.

rentprop1
04-20-2012, 05:37 PM
As long as you weave the straps between the belt and the pouch there isn't any problem. They get locked into place that way regardless of length.

even when a good 2 inches of the straps hang underneath ?? it seems like it would unsnap easier dangling like that

mitunnelrat
04-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Even then. Do the weave, run the excess under the webbing on the pouch, and do the snap. Even if the snap pops open its going to be locked in place. If you look at izzy's "Revamp" thread you'll see where several of our pouches look like that. My mag, radio, and trauma pouches all do it. I overload and generally beat the hell out of my stuff, and it never moves.

patdow1
04-22-2012, 02:52 AM
I'm really surprised that nobody has reccomended the US Grunt Gear "Infidel" War Belt

rentprop1
04-22-2012, 03:46 AM
here is a nice review of the Infidel War Belt

Infidel War Belt - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oGpkKtQWjs)

GunnerMax
05-16-2012, 12:17 PM
I ended up getting 2 HSGI belts

I got an ATACS for the AK, and I have an Emdom-MM CM belt for that one

I got a bargin bin ($40) HSGI Sure grip belt in black for the shotgun (not as dependent on that than the AK) and a duty belt that will pair with it.

I got 2 HSGI High Speed Low Drag suspenders for the above. I cannot wait to show before, during, and after pics for my setups.

GunnerMax
05-16-2012, 12:19 PM
I ended up getting 2 HSGI belts

I got an ATACS for the AK, and I have an Emdom-MM CM belt for that one

I got a bargin bin ($40) HSGI Sure grip belt in black for the shotgun (not as dependent on that than the AK) and a duty belt that will pair with it.

I got 2 HSGI High Speed Low Drag suspenders for the above. I cannot wait to show before, during, and after pics for my setups.

cwconnertx
05-23-2012, 04:32 AM
Based on this thread... and Izzy's revamped fighting gear, I decided on a Brokos belt, I like being able to easily run molle and belt mount gear. I just got the notice that it will be approximately 21 days, I ordered mine from TYR with soft armor in multicam, I am looking forward to setting it up.

ak474u
08-31-2012, 04:29 AM
I just got my ATS belt in, it's all set up. 2 17 round beretta mags, 1 AK mag, dump pouch, and thigh mounted blackhawk holster for now, i also added my modified mini holster for my lightstick brand flashlight, it is the same as the one i fabbed the mount for on my yugo, (belt to rifle is less than 2 seconds using one hand) the holster has another 17 rounder in its pouch, so that brings the pistol to 68 rounds on-hand. I've got a BOK that I'd like to get a hook and loop MOLLE ripoff panel for so I can get it loose but not worry about it in the front. This is a first line rig, so I wasn't looking to go heavy but there may be a few pouches in the future, just not sure what else I'd add. I attempted to put one of my blackhawk single mag pouches on the right side for a multi tool, and quickly found that the blackhawk speed strips don't work well with only 3 PALS loops, so I'll probably just grab a set of the small Maxpedition tac ties and weave them in. I kinda thought of getting a dropleg platform on support side for a dump pouch/extra stuff, but I dunno if I want to, it would have to be QD, and that causes it to ride a little low. I have my thigh rig for the 92A1 so high that I only use one strap, and the QD buckle adds a little too much length. This rig is first line, and can be supplemented in a minute with my plate carrier that is exclusively a rifle platform unless I add the cummerbund back on, which although more stable, is a whipping to get adjusted right in a hurry.

Stormfeather
08-31-2012, 08:55 AM
I just got my ATS belt in, it's all set up. 2 17 round beretta mags, 1 AK mag, dump pouch, and thigh mounted blackhawk holster for now, i also added my modified mini holster for my lightstick brand flashlight, it is the same as the one i fabbed the mount for on my yugo, (belt to rifle is less than 2 seconds using one hand) the holster has another 17 rounder in its pouch, so that brings the pistol to 68 rounds on-hand. I've got a BOK that I'd like to get a hook and loop MOLLE ripoff panel for so I can get it loose but not worry about it in the front. This is a first line rig, so I wasn't looking to go heavy but there may be a few pouches in the future, just not sure what else I'd add. I attempted to put one of my blackhawk single mag pouches on the right side for a multi tool, and quickly found that the blackhawk speed strips don't work well with only 3 PALS loops, so I'll probably just grab a set of the small Maxpedition tac ties and weave them in. I kinda thought of getting a dropleg platform on support side for a dump pouch/extra stuff, but I dunno if I want to, it would have to be QD, and that causes it to ride a little low. I have my thigh rig for the 92A1 so high that I only use one strap, and the QD buckle adds a little too much length. This rig is first line, and can be supplemented in a minute with my plate carrier that is exclusively a rifle platform unless I add the cummerbund back on, which although more stable, is a whipping to get adjusted right in a hurry.

Love to see some pics of this!