PDA

View Full Version : Desert Thunder!

Grumpy Old Man
04-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Well, this last weekend it was time for the Mojave to blast to the Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society Spring Shoot Out!
Joining us were our three new prospects (We are very loosely modeled after motorcycle enthusiasts groups). These new prospects are our own FoulBall, his brother Fishin Magician, and their friend Water Ranger. Formal inductions will take place at the Vernal Equinox shoot.

Arriving on Friday PeanutRider and I set up camp in alternate location 2, as another chapter of the Old Farts Society was in our favored location. We had dinner and toasted the passing of Peanut, PR's horse of choice. Saturday dawned as it always does in the high desert-beautifully. When Steeler led in the prospects we all introduced ourselves and set about the serious business of paying homage to our patron saint, John Moses Browning! Although Steeler is an apostate in this regard as he follow Gaston Glock, we are a tolerant group and welcomed him as our prodigal brother.

Numerous versions of EBRs (evil black rifles) were put through their paces as well as many of the interpretations of St. John's Holy Grail, the 1911.
I represented the Luddite faction with several WW II vintage rifles. I had a levergun in .35 Remington as well. Many reactive targets succumbed to cupric-plumbine toxosis inflicted by the gifts of St. John and Gaston the Heretic. These included, but were not limited to potatoes, grapefruit, and one cocoanut. The winds began gusting to a point where it was difficult to hold on target, so we ceased firing at about 1:00 p.m.

We gathered around the fire pit and chatted until the drinking lamp was lit. A wonderful potluck dinner was held featuring carne asada (FoulBall), barbecued tri-tip (PeanuRider) garlic bread and sauteed asparagus (Ol' Grumpy hisself) with water purification provided by Steeler.

Welcome to our newest Thunder Lizards, FoulBall, Fishin Magician and Water Ranger!!!:cool:

izzyscout21
04-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Outfrigginstanding!!

This is the kind of good stuff I like to hear!

Congrats to all the new members of the Thunder LIzard clan.

Hope to see everyone show up here soon.

Now....all of us Southeasterners need to get together..............

Foulball
04-02-2012, 08:51 PM
It was friggin' great until that damn Wind God decided to lay down a beating upon our worthless human skins!!! Gusts blew the targets all around and created a general dirty, grimy mess in ammo cans and guns alike.

Definitely an enjoyable encounter and the food was outstanding. PeanutRider cooks up one mean tri-tip and GOM's asparagus was cooked to perfection!

Great people, loud booms and drinks around the campfire is the best way to spend a weekend!

Thanks again Grumpy!

bacpacker
04-03-2012, 12:46 AM
Sounds like a SUPER time had by all. Congrats on the get together!

Evolver
04-03-2012, 01:15 AM
Well, this last weekend it was time for the Mojave to blast to the Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society Spring Shoot Out!
Joining us were our three new prospects (We are very loosely modeled after motorcycle enthusiasts groups). These new prospects are our own FoulBall, his brother Fishin Magician, and their friend Water Ranger. Formal inductions will take place at the Vernal Equinox shoot.

Arriving on Friday PeanutRider and I set up camp in alternate location 2, as another chapter of the Old Farts Society was in our favored location. We had dinner and toasted the passing of Peanut, PR's horse of choice. Saturday dawned as it always does in the high desert-beautifully. When Steeler led in the prospects we all introduced ourselves and set about the serious business of paying homage to our patron saint, John Moses Browning! Although Steeler is an apostate in this regard as he follow Gaston Glock, we are a tolerant group and welcomed him as our prodigal brother.

Numerous versions of EBRs (evil black rifles) were put through their paces as well as many of the interpretations of St. John's Holy Grail, the 1911.
I represented the Luddite faction with several WW II vintage rifles. I had a levergun in .35 Remington as well. Many reactive targets succumbed to cupric-plumbine toxosis inflicted by the gifts of St. John and Gaston the Heretic. These included, but were not limited to potatoes, grapefruit, and one cocoanut. The winds began gusting to a point where it was difficult to hold on target, so we ceased firing at about 1:00 p.m.

We gathered around the fire pit and chatted until the drinking lamp was lit. A wonderful potluck dinner was held featuring carne asada (FoulBall), barbecued tri-tip (PeanuRider) garlic bread and sauteed asparagus (Ol' Grumpy hisself) with water purification provided by Steeler.

Welcome to our newest Thunder Lizards, FoulBall, Fishin Magician and Water Ranger!!!:cool:

Great read! You made me wish I was there to be around you Old Farts that are in Society. Sounds like you had a great time and as for the WII vintage... There isn't much better than the feel of wood! :p

ak474u
04-03-2012, 05:55 AM
How come.... Nobody has painted a "Saint John Browning" in the old Catholic style? I'd totally buy one for my "chapel" slash gun room. Isn't he the "patron saint of people on the winning side"

Edit: HA HA! this is pretty close! The Gospel According To John (http://www.frfrogspad.com/jmb.htm)

IDTANDY
04-05-2012, 06:18 PM
Amen.

Stormfeather
04-13-2012, 11:58 PM
Grumpy, sounds like you are a spokesman for E Clampus Vitas! An excellent oratory explanation of the weekend!
Definitely sounds like you had a great time! Im curious if you are a member of Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net) ? Ive been a member there since mid 2005 and have ran many events thru them including my own shooting event The Annual Area 52 CGN Shooting Weekend.

Grumpy Old Man
04-16-2012, 05:10 PM
No, I only lurk on CalGuns. But my dispatcher, who also is a prospect for the Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society is. So, between us we can monitor more forums and share the info. I personally don't join too many of those organizations, as I am more of a reenactor.