PDA

View Full Version : Survive a Tornado

Sniper-T
04-04-2012, 03:53 AM
I have had this kicking around for a while, but given the Texas threa... I dug it out.

I don`t know the origin, so consider it Sniped:

If a tornado warning is issued for your location, take the following steps immediately if you are at home:

-Go at once to the basement, storm cellar, or the lowest level of the building.

-If there is no basement, go to an inner hallway or a smaller inner room without windows, such as a bathroom or closet.

-Get away from the windows.

-Go to the center of the room. Debris can sometimes come through walls..

-Get under a piece of sturdy furniture such as a workbench or heavy table or desk and hold on to it.

-If you have time, get a mattress or blankets to protect your head and the heads of any children with you. If you don't have time, use your arms to protect your head and neck.

**** If you live in a mobile home, get out and find shelter elsewhere in a permanent building. ****

A tornado could threaten you when you are away from home, in a car, a building, or a park. Here are several steps you can take:.

If at work or school:

-Go to the basement or to an inside hallway at the lowest level.

-Avoid places with wide-span roofs such as auditoriums, cafeterias, large hallways, or shopping malls.

-Get under a piece of sturdy furniture such as a workbench or heavy table or desk and hold on to it.

-Use your arms to protect your head and neck.

If outdoors:

-If possible, get inside a building.

-If shelter is not available or there is no time to get indoors, lie in a ditch or low-lying area or crouch near a strong building. Be aware of the potential for flooding.

-Use arms to protect head and neck.

If in a car:

-Never try to out drive a tornado in a car or truck. Tornadoes can change direction quickly and can lift up a car or truck and toss it through the air.

-Get out of the car immediately and take shelter in a nearby building.

-If there is no time to get indoors, get out of the car and lie in a ditch or low-lying area away from the vehicle. Be aware of the potential for flooding.

bacpacker
04-04-2012, 11:31 AM
The national weather service gives the exact same list during their skywarn spotter training. Good advise IMO