PDA

View Full Version : Rip - Long Gun Registry

Sniper-T
04-07-2012, 06:06 AM
The Canadian Conservative party just abolished the Long Gun Registry!!

;)

The registry was a Liberal idea a bunch of years ago to make us 'safer' which turned rather quickly into a Billion + dollar money pit. It did nothing to prevent nor solve crimes.

I am hoping that this will pave the way into relaxing some of ourr handgun laws; or at the very least it should bring a bunch of guns out from hiding and onto the market!

:) <-- that's me!

GunnerMax
04-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Congrats! I am thankful everyday that I live in VA, which does not require weapons registration.

Again, congrats!

izzyscout21
04-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Sniper, how does this affect you as far as buying/ selling/etc? Give me a before and after.

Sniper-T
04-07-2012, 02:01 PM
basically, just less hoops to jump through.

Scenario: I'm out hunting one weekend, and meet up with some other hunters. While talking it comes out that one of them is selling a gun, and I want it.

During the reign of the LGR, nothing can happen, except the exchange of phone numbers, and a meeting made for during the week, because government offices are closed. So come a weekday, we get together, show the gun/show the cash. Then we had to call The offices in New Brunswick. The seller had to provide his name, gun licence number, address, SIN number, and then answer a bunch of questions to prove he really is him. Then provide the firearm information. make/model, serial, barrel length, action type, his registration number, etc. Then he would get a transfer number.

Depending on who he was talking to, he could either pass me the phone, or I would have to call back, to finalize the transfer. I provide my information and answer the same questions to prove I am me. Then give them the transfer number, and then the same info about the gun. The transfer is now complete, I hand over the cash, take the gun, and go home.

Now, and prior to the registry, same scenario, I hand him the cash on the Saturday, write up a bill of sale, and he hands over the gun. done!

Incidentally, for handguns, it is still the same hoops as above (during the LGR), but an additional one where I would have to contact the local Firearms officer, and get a permit to transport it from his place to my place, and an additional to go from my place to accredited ranges.

Stormfeather
04-08-2012, 02:56 AM
Congrats on killing off the LGR. . . now if we can work on the Handguns, I would love to get me a damn Glock 25!

Sniper-T
04-08-2012, 04:33 AM
At present, I'm not sure how to get you one... but I am watching for a deal to come up on one.

Ironically enough... It is the American gov't that closed the boarders against Canadians buying and selling down there. If I were to meet up with an Ant down there, and be given a single cartridge as a gift. I would be in violation of the Homeland security act.

There are some exceptions, (competition/ arranged hunts), but that's even more hoops!