PDA

View Full Version : House fire

Sniper-T
04-09-2012, 11:57 AM
Yep. I had one last night!
Seems a spark or an ember dropped down between my hearth and the fireplace, and started the wooden frame smoldering, which in turn started the floor and the wall smoldering. It smoldered all day Sunday while we were out (and probably through part of the night before). Got in and started making dinner, and while I had some meat simmering, I was tidying up around the fireplace, and noticed a couple wisps of smoke coming out from under the hearth. I grabbed a flashlight and had a look down the little gap, and saw some charred wood (and heard some crackle popping), so I opened the fireplace door, so I could get a better angle to see, and that either created a puff of air, or a draft, and the smolder ignited.

I yelled for the wife, told her to go downstairs and give a report, I grabbed a fire extinguisher, and blasted it down through the gap. Or at least I tried to...

When you read the instructions on an extinguisher an the say "HOLD UPRIGHT"... they mean it. but being where the fire was, I had to hold it horizontal and only got a few puffs of suppressant out before the thing gassed out. I grabbed another one, held it on a bit straighter angle and got several good blasts down and put the fire out.

I poured some water down, to cool things off, and put out any of the smoldering parts. But, it was resilient, and kept crackling and popping.

So I went to the garage, and brought in my sprayer, like this:
Sprayer | Princess Auto (http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/8212201/Manual/Sprayer)

I was able to wiggle the nozzle down the gap, and then turn it in different directions to spray water around and put out the smolder-ers... or so I thought...

I was contemplating ripping the hearth apart to double check things, and we had a quick bite to eat, to discuss our next steps, and sure enough, another wisp of smoke, and a couple more crackles... That decided it. My hearth stone is an 18" wide by 6+ feet long, 4" thick slab of Limestone. Which I didn't want to break if possible, but it was bolted down to the frame of the hearth itself. So I grabbed a Jack-all and with the wife started lifting it up one side at a time, ripping the 2X6's right out of the frame. We were then able to stand it on edge, and then swing it off and on top of a covered coffee table, and then drag the whole thing out of the way. I pulled a bunch of nails, securing the hearth frame, cleaned up all the gunk (ash, extinguisher powder and waterlogged muck. then pulled the whole hearth off.

The fire burnt clean through the hardwood flooring in a couple places, into the sub floor, and up the wall under the fireplace. There were still several hot spots on the floor, so I drilled some holes through the hardwood, and found that the fire was smoldering along the joints of the hardwood, I pourd more water down there and with a satisfying sizzle. we were done.

Except now for the cleanup, and the repairs. Thank God for Insurance.

And Thank God for averting what could have been a whole hell of a lot worse.

I'll add some pics later, after I upload them

carly
04-09-2012, 12:01 PM
So glad to hear that you found it and got it put out before it became worse.

idahobob
04-09-2012, 12:32 PM
You are very fortunate that you still have a home to live in.

Last year, I headed into the Post Office (seven miles away). Beautiful day, not a sign of trouble anywhere. As I headed back about 10 minutes later, I could see a smoke column in the distance. As I got nearer to home, it was obvious that there was a house fire in the vicinity of our home. As it was, it was the home across the road from ours. So as I got there, I parked my rig and grabbed a hose from one of the engines there. All we could do was prevent the fire from spreading into the timber and really create a conflagration.

Now remember when I left, there were NO signs of any problems and 10 minutes later the house was totally involved. It was a total loss. The older gentleman that lived there had lived there for the past forty years and he lost EVERYTHING. He was fortunate that he got out without any injuries.

Stick frame houses go up FAST! Especially older ones whose lumber is really dry.

Bob
III

Sniper-T
04-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Thanks guys. And yeah, right place at the right time. Considering we were out most of the day, had it flared up anytime sooner, and we would have come home to ashes.

As it was. You can see a little gap between the insert and the hearth stone. There was mortar in there over a metal screen, but I broke it out to get at the fire.

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/House%20Fire/IMGP8401.jpg

Hearth stone removed:

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/House%20Fire/IMGP8404.jpg

Hearth removed:

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/House%20Fire/IMGP8413.jpg

And here are some of the holes I had to drill to get water to the fire under the hardwood:

http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt140/Sniper-T/House%20Fire/IMGP8415.jpg

apssbc
04-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Sniper good catch you guys got very very lucky. Ive been firefighting for six years now. The fire smoldered all day and didnt spread much further which was a very lucky thing. I had a fire like that which smoldered for about 8 hours before a window gave in and boom we had a rip roaring house fire.

What you had was a mini backdraft, unlike the movie they do not always blow up. The fire is burning very inefficiently and starved for oxygen. All the wood is at its ignition temperature, so all its missing is some O2. When you opened it up you gave it the last bit of ingredient it needed and thus you had fire. Good work putting it out its seems like you guys did a good job.

You obviously learned a few things, I would suggest trying to get your hands on a extinguisher with a flexible hose and nozzle. Also call the fire dept right away. The fact that you thought you had the fire out and you didnt, goes to show how dangerous it is. I know you were being more cautious than most people and were discussing plans to tear the mantel apart. You wouldnt believe how many house fires Ive had from people "extinguishing" fires, cancelling us, then we have to go back to a working house fire.

But this also brings up the question...do you want firefighters going through your house? Is your supplies, gear, and equipment hidden or somewhat concealed? What can we do to keep our EMS, and Fire Providers from asking too many questions?

There is always the possibility of needing these services, family member falls ill, fire in a dwelling, carbon monoxide alarm. There is always a chance of these things happening, and if there is a co alarm for example we want to check every nook, cranny, and device that can produce a co reading.

Just some things to think about.
AP

bacpacker
04-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Glad you guys caught it got it taken care of in time. Very lucky inded.

eagle326
04-09-2012, 01:54 PM
Glad everything turned out good for you and the wife. As backpacker said ; very lucky indeed. Hoping the re-build goes well.

Twitchy
04-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Wow! Glad it didn't end worse! We had a full working fire in the house we live in back in 1996 when we left for vacation... When we arrived we had news from our neighbor via calling our relative that there was a fire and such... all our clothes, pictures, papers, etc. Destroyed. You were quite lucky! I also agree with calling the FD in any fire because you never know how bad it may be until its too late.

Katrina
04-09-2012, 09:51 PM
Glad you guys are okay. Hope it doesn't take too long to put everything back in good shape.

IDTANDY
04-10-2012, 02:13 AM
Wow,
Luck was on your side.Great reaction.

msomnipotent
04-10-2012, 03:15 AM
Glad you guys are ok and the fire was contained.

LUNCHBOX
04-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Good to hear you guys are ok.

Sniper-T
04-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

:)

Step one is complete. The Insurance agent and their contractor were out yesterday to assess and investigate. They were both very impressed with our actions to contain, extinguish, and maintain the fire. They both said that over 95 % of all rural house fires end up with them standing in a pile of ash. The agent was particularly impressed with the fact I had not one, but 2 fire extinguishers handy, accessable, and I knew how to use them (lol). She was a little speachless when I showed her three others that were all also nearby.

The contractor was impressed on how I tore the hearth apart, in an orderly fashion without damaging the stonework, and how I addressed the fire between the layers of flooring. They both said that had the fire department responded, it would have been with axes swinging.

So the cleanup crew is coming in tomorrow to remove all the damaged materials and 'sanitize the house' as they call it. Basically, they're going to wipe down anything that has smoke or soot on it.

So Far, they've been good to deal with. Fingers crossed that it continues this well through the re-build.

Twitchy
04-11-2012, 01:45 AM
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Step one is complete. The Insurance agent and their contractor were out yesterday to assess and investigate. They were both very impressed with our actions to contain, extinguish, and maintain the fire. They both said that over 95 % of all rural house fires end up with them standing in a pile of ash. The agent was particularly impressed with the fact I had not one, but 2 fire extinguishers handy, accessable, and I knew how to use them (lol). She was a little speachless when I showed her three others that were all also nearby.

The contractor was impressed on how I tore the hearth apart, in an orderly fashion without damaging the stonework, and how I addressed the fire between the layers of flooring. They both said that had the fire department responded, it would have been with axes swinging.

So the cleanup crew is coming in tomorrow to remove all the damaged materials and 'sanitize the house' as they call it. Basically, they're going to wipe down anything that has smoke or soot on it.

So Far, they've been good to deal with. Fingers crossed that it continues this well through the re-build.

I think you made the insurance company happy with your method of doing things... less money on their part and they know your prepared to handle events that most people aren't... That is ALWAYS a good thing!

The Stig
04-11-2012, 02:25 AM
HOLY CRAP.

I'm so glad this played out the way it did and didn't turn into a more catastrophic SHTF event for you.

Glad your preps (fire extinguishers) were handy and helped play a role in saving the day.

But most of all, glad you and your loved ones are safe.

Sniper-T
04-11-2012, 02:33 AM
Thanks again guys... and gals... as aloof as I felt about the whole thing... I have found for the last couple days, it kinda chokes me up... thinking about what 'coulda' been. Someone was clearly watching out for us, as if it had flared up any time sooner, we either would have been in bed, or gone!. and we would have come home to a pile of ash! Or our family would have.

So a BIG thanks to the EASTER BUNNY, and that JC guy with the water walkers.

XO.

If they were impressed with my fire suppression before. they'll be blown away by the end of next payday

Stormfeather
04-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Glad to hear all is ok, one of my worst fears is losing everything via fire. . .

Sniper-T
04-11-2012, 06:59 PM
Phase 2 is currently underway, the cleanup crew is in, wiping/washing everything in the house. going to be a couple days of this to get everything done. Picture your heavy duty spring cleaning on steroids!

Another contractor is also due any time now, to start tearing apart the burnt/water soaked areas, and determine what is going to be necessary to rebuild.

izzyscout21
04-11-2012, 09:00 PM
Just caught this thread. Glad this didn't turn into a bigger incident. Glad you are ok SNiper.

Katrina
04-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Sniper, if the clothing needs cleaning get some Odo-ban. About a cup, cup and half in with the laundry detergent got the smoke smell out of the clothes , sheets when Son 1's apt building went up in smoke(thanks to an evicted tenent). He said it was what one of the firemen advised him to do, after they hauled him out of apt. He worked nights/early am news and was asleep when they came to fight the fire. He worked for the local TV station, so of course they interviewed him that day. He looked so cute in his boxers and sox on the 11oclock news.

Sniper-T
04-11-2012, 10:46 PM
the bedrooms and closets were sheltered., so we should be good here. We washed the afghans, pillows, etc, right away, just so we could use them.

Thanks for the reference though, That is something I'll add to my 'under-sink' stash, hopefully to never use!

Sniper-T
04-11-2012, 10:50 PM
Just caught this thread. Glad this didn't turn into a bigger incident. Glad you are ok SNiper.

Thanks Pal! and Thanks again to all for the continued well wishes. In the grand scheme of things... pretty minor.

in my life right now... pretty SHTF!

When they start tearing my floor out, and the wall/fireplace out...

hoo boy! my wife is going to go apeshit!

I told he we'd fill the holes with her old shoes... amazingly enough... that didn't go over very well!

go figure!

;)

Katrina
04-12-2012, 02:17 AM
Back away from the shoes!!! And you won't be hurt!!!!!

Taz Baby
04-12-2012, 09:51 AM
Women's old shoe that don't get worn are like men's knives or guns that don't get used a lot. Don't mess with them or pay the consequences. Now boots are another story. Mess with the boots, prepare to die.

Sniper-T
04-12-2012, 12:06 PM
we have a good arrangement. everytime she buys a pair of shoes, I buy a gun.

Taz Baby
04-12-2012, 10:46 PM
;) Wow then maybe your summer building project should be building a extra room onto the house for shoe's and guns?

Sniper-T
04-12-2012, 11:03 PM
It's almost getting that way. but since the demise of our LGR, certain guns can come out of the safe and go back into closets where they belong. so I now have 'safe' room for more guns.

maybe if I stuff the toes of her shoes with catnip, our cat will rip them up, and she'll need new ones???

hmmm...

Sniper-T
04-12-2012, 11:07 PM
Phase 2 is now complete. The cleaning crew wrapped up today. WHAT AN AMAZING JOB!!! from a house that smelled like soot, and smoke, it now smells fresh.

They wiped down EVERYTHING! wfrom the ceiling to the floor, and everything in between. all the pictures on the walls, all the 'stuff' on shelves. In fact, while washing 'stuff' they even washed my breakfast dishes, and then came to ask me where the stuff went, so they could put it away!!

I'm trying to talk them into coming out every spring for our spring cleaning, but so far, no dice! :(

lol

Phase 3 starts tomorrow. The demolition crew is coming in to start ripping up the floor, and possibly tear out the wall.

bacpacker
04-12-2012, 11:24 PM
So sorry you are having to go thru all this, although sounds like some good is coming out of it. It's moving along very quickly it seems. That's always good when dealing with contractors.

ladyhk13
04-13-2012, 05:56 AM
Just saw your post Sniper! Thank God this did not happen in the middle of the night. We have a huge home fire problem here in TN, don't know why but I have never seen so many in my life. One down the road (it was empty at the time and being renovated) went up in the middle of the night and the neighbors didn't even bother to call the FD since no one was living there, can you imagine? We went out that morning and there was no house where there was the day before! A friend of ours lost their home to lightening hitting a tree and it traveling through the roots and it came up right under their bed. Thank God they were staying over here at their parents that night because the storms were so bad and didn't go home. They lost their dog though which was very hard on the children. Fires are so horrible on families and I cannot imagine how scared your wife must still be. You did a wonderful job tracing the source and handling it calmly and without destroying your fireplace which not only saved a beautiful hearth but saved money for your insurance company and stopped a great deal of stress for your wife. Kudos to you!!!! I would hope each of us could be so level headed and know to look for something "out of the ordinary" in our homes.
I hope everything is back to normal now and hey, at least they washed everything for you and you get out of dusting for a month or 2 (or in my case it would be like 6 - I REALLY hate to dust!).
Now about them boots.................Nobody messes with da boots! That could be cause for loss of body parts, hero or not. :)

mitunnelrat
04-13-2012, 05:28 PM
Wow! I'm glad that worked out ok for you. I have a wood furnace, and when I first moved in my biggest fear was I'd forget to close the ash door after starting a fire, thus burning the house down (got the pipe cherry red once as a kid).

Still, that is an impressive display of keeping cool and using your head to solve a problem. Good job!

Sniper-T
08-01-2012, 10:19 PM
After 2 months (ish) of nothing, I finally get ahold of these people again. Seems they had an incorrect phone #, even though I left it everytime I called ??? lol

Anyways, it looks like the insurance company is ponying up for everything, and I should be able to start scheduling some work in the next week or so. (of course, I will be away). There was only one battle with the insurance co. about the chimney, but they came around to my will and are replacing it. :)

If I can I'll get some progress shots as they work

ladyhk13
08-01-2012, 11:11 PM
Geeze! About time, huh? Glad to hear it and hopefully work will be done before winter sets in????? Fingers crossed.

Sniper-T
08-16-2012, 11:59 AM
I met with the contractor yesterday, and the work is scheduled to start next week. They have to rip out the old fireplace (all stone, mantle, framing, chimney, everything), and then reframe it for the new one, rewire it, plumb it, and then rebuild everything.

Kodiak
08-16-2012, 12:29 PM
How much does a project like that cost? I'm thimking about replacing my fireplace some day.

Sniper-T
08-16-2012, 12:33 PM
I'm not sure, as insurance is covering it; but when the fireplace guys are in next week... I'll ask em!

msomnipotent
08-16-2012, 02:08 PM
I'm not sure, as insurance is covering it; but when the fireplace guys are in next week... I'll ask em!

Please do! I think there is a problem with our chimney. The dog keeps staring at the same spot and barking whenever it rains. I think we might have a drip or something. If they give me an outrageous quote, at least I could say that Sniper T in Canada says it only costs x amount. How could they possibly argue with that?