PDA

View Full Version : What Coating to use to Seal the outside of shipping container

Brownwater Riverrat 13
04-14-2012, 02:44 AM
Sister-in-law has already put this thing on blocks. It's partially in the side of a hill, anyone have any recommendations for a good coating to apply on this thing?

Be safe.............the night is your friend

Katrina
04-14-2012, 02:50 AM
BR13.
I found this web site on coatings when I was looking for something to waterproof for my laundry room concrete block walls. Haven't bought any yet, gotta get kitchen and house put back together. It may have something she can use.

Ames' Blue Max Liquid Rubber (http://www.amesresearch.com/bluemax.htm)

realist
04-14-2012, 03:09 AM
Katrina you beat me to it, I was going to recommend the same thing. The stuff is suppose to be great and that is what I am going to use on my summer project. I have a brick wall that I am going to be building and sealing.

I have converted a couple Conex boxes and on top I sealed it with cool roof, which is a rubberized material. I would think that this might work good for sealing. Also depending upon the condition of the box you could use bed liner but that would be expensive. I have used Herculiner for a bunch of projects it runs between 80 and 90 dollars per gallon. If you use it you should put on two quarts. Is the side against the hill against the dirt? If so I would seal the box good but I would also line the side with thick plastic before I put any dirt against it.

One area on the boxes that I have found a build up of rust is the corners and around the door locks. Moisture likes to get in around the bolts and rust them out. Take a good look at the roof usually there are dings and dents up there. Where there is low spots there will be rust make sure that you fill them in.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
04-14-2012, 04:41 AM
Thank you all for your recommendations, I'll pass them along. I explained to her last night about moisture barriers. About how she needs to put down at least 2 layers of plastic under the container before they think about sealing anything up, same as around the walls. Yes, it's going to get covered with dirt, most of it I'm sure. They'll probably leave the front open. I'll get a look at it tomorrow and have a better Idea as to what they have going on. But I told her the thing needs to be coated with something. I figured someone out there might have done this already and might have some input. Thanks again!

Be safe.................the night is your friend.

Katrina
04-14-2012, 06:33 AM
Brown, You are welcome.
realist let me know how the coating goes, will ya? Not sure when I will be able to get that done, prolly next year. Got couple of other projects that NEED to be done this year.

realist
04-14-2012, 01:48 PM
A couple of other things. There is usually a metal tube over the locking mechanism I'm not sure how to explain it. It is more of a sleeve covering the main rod portion. This covering on a couple of ours rusted out. I think that if it were removed and repainted on the inside it would preserve it longer. It is the salt water that it was exposed to when being shipped that eats these things apart. Also the corners where there is a lot of steel that it sits one. Although it would take forever to rust through you want to chip away any bubbled paint and seal it well. Otherwise under it will rust and it will creep up the wall to the thinner material. Lastly you do not know what they shipped in these things I would suggest that you put down a vapor barrier like Tyvex on the floor and put a sheet of plywood over it. Depending upon what condition the floor, I would put 3/4 of an inch to 1 1/2 inch to T&G to shore it up and finish the seal.

Evolver
04-15-2012, 12:31 PM
BR13.
I found this web site on coatings when I was looking for something to waterproof for my laundry room concrete block walls. Haven't bought any yet, gotta get kitchen and house put back together. It may have something she can use.

Ames' Blue Max Liquid Rubber (http://www.amesresearch.com/bluemax.htm)

For concrete block walls in wet areas I use DRYLOK. It's a breathable film that does not trap moisture in the masonry and even works very well as a base coat if you want to paint on a latex color over the top.

As for the shipping container goes... I don't have any experience with coating metal that is going to come in contact with soil. :o

Sniper-T
04-16-2012, 11:35 AM
We use a couple of extreme paints that I would select based on personal experience...

ARC S2 (http://www.chemicalonline.com/doc.mvc/ARC-S2-0001)

and/or

http://msds.carboline.com/website/carbmsds.nsf/(all)/F1E57DBDA216B3D9852576C600764109/$file/Plasite+4300+PDS+1-06.pdf

realist
04-17-2012, 02:53 AM
Hay BR I was thinking about your project this weekend. The wife and I went wine tasting with some friends on Saturday and it got me into several wineries. One of then had a bunch of stainless steel tanks that had a very think coating of insulation, about four inches thick. They then put something like a tripolymer paint that stretches. I asked but no one was around that could answer how they put it on. I think something like that would be outstanding for sealing and insulation. If I can find out more I will let you know. The wine was good too........

ladyhk13
04-17-2012, 08:49 PM
Thanks guys...I sent the info over to my sister. I hope she uses the advice. Her dh is kind of a dummy and likes to cut corners so maybe she'll Jethro slap him and put her foot down on this one.

Brownwater Riverrat 13
04-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Hay BR I was thinking about your project this weekend. The wife and I went wine tasting with some friends on Saturday and it got me into several wineries. One of then had a bunch of stainless steel tanks that had a very think coating of insulation, about four inches thick. They then put something like a tripolymer paint that stretches. I asked but no one was around that could answer how they put it on. I think something like that would be outstanding for sealing and insulation. If I can find out more I will let you know. The wine was good too........
Sorry it took so long to get back to your comment and thank you. Great Idea let me know what you find out. I'm also considering constructing a walk-in freezer. That might work on something like that as well, let me know what you find out. Thanks again. UH, no............I don't have a robot, but if I did he'd have to run on his own power and be EMP proof, otherwise he's totally useless.:rolleyes:

Be safe.............the night is your friend.