PDA

View Full Version : so you got your backpack, what about a belly pack ??

rentprop1
04-20-2012, 04:33 AM
for those folks that have a regular backpack, and need more space or a small pack for essentials ??
for times where you could not or would not want to wear a tacticool type vest, like when backpacking or hiking ??

anyone ever thought of some sort of pack that could be warn around your waist, but in front ( belly ) and add a neck strap for support ?? I was thinking about a Maxpedition devildog...they are discontinued, but still found online at a lot of places
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r134/rentprop1guns/max-devildog-kh.jpg

I don't have one, YET...just thinking is there any down side to a front pack, especially one where you could carry a handgun in the pouch and water ??

The Devildog is a spacious butt pack equipped with multiple pouches, organizers, and modes of carry. Weather you are a serious outdoor adventurer or hard charging professional, we think you will agree that this is where the rubber meets the road!
*Large 500 cu. In. divided main compartment (11"x9"x5")
*Zippered frontal compartment (7"x5"x1")
*Padded 2" adjustable waist belt; 60" max. waist size
*YKK nylon zips with paracord pull
*1000 Denier ballistic nylon
*Adjustable fastek buckles
*Inner stash compartments
*Bottom drain grommets
*Comfortable, breathable sandwich backing

Sniper-T
04-20-2012, 11:06 AM
I am a firm advocate for a front pack. I backpacked across Greece, wearing two packs, and countless other places. It is the most comfortable way to hump with gear. With a decent pack on the front, you can split your weightload and assume a more natural upright position, rather than being hunched over under the weight on your back. additionally, it is a very convenient place to carry things that you might want on a regular basis, rather than having to take off your backpack to get something.

water, food, maps, translation books, camera, gun, rain gear, etc...

I have found that any small 'daypack' will work quite well as a front pack. the trick is merely to put it on first, and then when you sling your backpack on, the backpack straps ride right over top of the frontpack ones, essentially locking them in place.

The only downside I can see is if you were in a combat situation, you wouldn't be able to lay as flat and close to the ground.

IMO

bacpacker
04-20-2012, 02:11 PM
I have carried a much smaller fanny pack' less than 200 ci. It is handy for often used items. However i wouldn't want one of that size due to it constantly rubbing my thighs while hiking. I quit using mine a while back.
I started using a couple of small pouches on my belt instead. Not quite as convienent' but more comfortable to me.
Just my .02' sounds like sniper swears by them.

mitunnelrat
05-10-2012, 04:31 PM
Thank you! I had shelved my versipack because I couldn't integrate it with the rest of my gear, but that was before I shifted my vest pouches to my sides. Thanks to this thread I thought to try it again, as a belly pack, and it fit perfectly between them!

I love that little pack, and I'm happier than hell now!

Jerry D Young
05-10-2012, 08:36 PM
I think it is a good idea for sport camping as it carries your weight limit much more evenly over your body, especially the shoulders and hips if designed correctly. For anything that will entail going to ground, it isn't such a good idea. Even most vests are such that it makes it difficult to go prone and still have access to the pouches on front, and of course you are a few inches higher up than need be. I prefer the split front vests that leave a good gap in front so when you go down, you aren't landing on magazines that screw the magazines and your chest, and still have access to the magazine pouches and don'tl eave you exposed any more than absolutely necessary.

Just my opinion.

mitunnelrat
05-10-2012, 08:47 PM
Not just your's, mine too. That's why my vest pouches are placed at my sides.

The versipack has QD buckles, or I wouldn't use it. Just like I won't wear a standard back pack without them. I can drop either of them, or both, as needed.

ak474u
05-10-2012, 09:33 PM
I think a chest rig without built in pouches, (just MOLLE) fits the bill pretty well for this type of pack, there are lots of pouches available, and even some of the cheaper MOLLE companies have "slick" chest rigs. I have a Condor chest rig that I use for a lightweight chest rig, once my plate carrier comes in off its 3 month back order, I'm probably going to make it into a GP rig with various large pouches on the front. It even came with padded shoulders so the minor weight I'd have in it won't test the straps, or light duty nature of the condor rig. It actually holds up pretty good with 3 AK mags, and 2 pistol mags, my main complaint is that it has a mesh compartment that is Velcro closure against your gut, which isnt a big deal, it's plenty comfy, but... It has zero rigidity... I cut a piece of rubberized closed cell foam ( think yoga mat but more rigid) and cut it till it fit. It aides quite a bit in not having the rig flex when pulling a mag out of a tight fitting pouch, so I like it just fine. I'll probably make the GP rig more of a day hike, or utility rig than a fighting load, radio pouch, sustainment pouch small first aid, and general tools with a pouch that will hold a full size pistol. I was inspired to make a rig of this type by headhunter25' he makes a really cool tactical hunting chest rig that is pretty awesome, and looks like it would hold more than I need, but I can make do with just 3-4 medium pouches with organizers. I'll put the rig on with my vulture II Maxpedition pack one day and see if its tolerable.

GunnerMax
05-15-2012, 08:12 AM
I am an advocate of Specopsbrand's Over-Armor vest. When I go out, it is with armor on, with sideplates. I found the vest (on sale now BTW) to be a great idea. I am not able to put my AK and personal pouches on my vest, so I got a trio of those vests. My Eagle Industries Buttpack will be the workhorse of my survival gear (food, water purification, extra set of boxers/socks, etc). So, fighting load on the front, and everything else on the back. my setup will be loosely modeled after izzy's fighting setup.

Pics wont be too far away of my setups (my wife cannot wait for my shit to get out of my daughters room and into the storage lockers I got lol )

Rentprop, I do not suggest putting handguns in packs. Same for purses for women. If a criminal steals my wife's purse at gunpoint, or knifepoint, she is helpless. Same for me. I have seen many products with hidden pocks for handguns. If that is your fancy, go for it. Personally, I prefer to have my handgun in a place someone cannot get to it. (serpa on the waist under a jacket, or IWB holster when you dont know I have it)

I do see the value of having gear within good reach though. However, I cannot think of something that would warrant access that quickly if you weren't in a fighting scenario. Admin pouches are exempt from this thinking (navigation)

my $.02

mitunnelrat
07-08-2012, 02:00 AM
I just wanted to say thanks again for jogging my memory on the versipack. I'm using it as part of my motorcycle kit now (no saddle bags yet) and it rides perfectly as a belly bag when I have a backpack on too.

I get some looks, but don't really care. It works.

rentprop1
07-10-2012, 01:53 AM
I'm still looking for on on the web , they have been discontinued for some time, can I ask a favor and measure the waist strap at the most open ( widest ) position, thanks

mitunnelrat
07-10-2012, 02:01 AM
Sure thing. I'll check it out when I get home tonight.

mitunnelrat
07-10-2012, 02:17 PM
It looks to be about 44", but just to make sure we're on the same page, I'm talking about the Versipack Jumbo, and not the Devil Dog you've linked on page 1.

It still works amazingly well as a belly pack, I can "high knee" and barely touch the bottom of it when doing so. If you can't get the Devil Dog I'd highly recommend this pack in its stead.

rentprop1
07-11-2012, 02:17 AM
Gotcha, I missed the versipack, so the 44 is the over the shoulder strap then ??

mitunnelrat
07-11-2012, 02:48 AM
The 44" is the waist strap. I didn't measure the shoulder strap, but I'll bet that's pretty close to 60"

The Stig
07-15-2012, 09:43 PM
I've read on some other forums about people using a little belly/fanny pack for a first aide/blow out kit.

Nothing flashy, just a straight fanny pack hanging down in front for quick access.

bacpacker
07-15-2012, 09:50 PM
When I was hiking a lot, that's sort of what I did. I had a cheapo fanny pack and pretty small. I kept a small FAK, nothing near extensive enough to consider it a blowout kit. Plus a couple of snack item and maybe some gloves and a hat in cold weather.