PDA

View Full Version : A visitor in my office

Grumpy Old Man
04-20-2012, 05:24 PM
I had someone drop in to say Hi today-an alligator lizard! The desert sure is fun!

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd421/GrumpyOldMan53/100_0454.jpg

Sniper-T
04-20-2012, 05:59 PM
cool. what do they taste like?

bacpacker
04-20-2012, 08:00 PM
My bet is chicken.

Grumpy Old Man
04-20-2012, 08:06 PM
My bet is chicken.

Naw, they taste like possum! Chuckwallas taste like chicken!

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd421/GrumpyOldMan53/220px-Chuckwalla.jpg

realist
04-21-2012, 03:34 AM
Something about them that I don't like............ don't really like snakes either. But then again anything with a little garlic, butter and white wine can be tolerated.....

Sniper-T
04-21-2012, 05:38 PM
^
Now you're talkin!

Most of the 'visitors' I get around here are of the 4-legged and furry, or 2-legged and winged variety. Almost all are both edible and delicious. I'm just curious Grump... after SHTF, down there in the desert, how much of the local wildlife is edible and palatable?

Grumpy Old Man
04-23-2012, 04:44 PM
^
Now you're talkin!

Most of the 'visitors' I get around here are of the 4-legged and furry, or 2-legged and winged variety. Almost all are both edible and delicious. I'm just curious Grump... after SHTF, down there in the desert, how much of the local wildlife is edible and palatable?

Really one heck of a lot. Although the valley floor has mostly been converted to farmland where I live, the surrounding mountains have quail, chukar, shrikes, boat-tailed grackles,etc. There are also coastal deer (whitetail and blacktail a little farther north) a variety of snakes, lizards, fish in the reservoirs and mountain streams and............citrus and avocados abound. I'm sure the oats would carry over with some volunteers. We also have plenty of cottontails and squirrels, gophers (did I mention I hate gophers?) feral cats, feral dogs, wild hogs, javelina, prickly pear (nopales and fruit). That's about all I can think of right off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are a lot more. Water is the key in the desert, so if you think I'm obsessed with water, it's because I am!

Stormfeather
04-23-2012, 05:16 PM
Really one heck of a lot. Although the valley floor has mostly been converted to farmland where I live, the surrounding mountains have quail, chukar, shrikes, boat-tailed grackles,etc. There are also coastal deer (whitetail and blacktail a little farther north) a variety of snakes, lizards, fish in the reservoirs and mountain streams and............citrus and avocados abound. I'm sure the oats would carry over with some volunteers. We also have plenty of cottontails and squirrels, gophers (did I mention I hate gophers?) feral cats, feral dogs, wild hogs, javelina, prickly pear (nopales and fruit). That's about all I can think of right off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are a lot more. Water is the key in the desert, so if you think I'm obsessed with water, it's because I am!

This sounds like one heck of a menu to me!