PDA

View Full Version : Squash

Sniper-T
04-21-2012, 06:36 PM
Butternut...

I've eaten it many times, either at friends or in resteraunts, and actually cooked with it, either from a can or frozen pcs.

But, today... TODAY!!!

I just cut up my first whole one on my own. The smell alone was wonderful!

Questions:

The seeds are very much like pumpkin seeds... anyone do them up like that?
I don't know if the squash I had is organic or not, but I saved the seeds anyways, I'm saving about 1/2 for planting; and since I had my dehydrator running anyways... I blanched the rest, seasoned them and tossed them on a tray. we'll see! lol

What are some other types you guys like, why, and what all can you do with them?

carly
04-22-2012, 04:51 AM
Butternut makes great soup. My favorite is acorn squash baked with nutmeg.

Taz Baby
04-22-2012, 01:07 PM
acorn is a good one. Cut in half and Mix Cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar together and sprinkle on top Nice smooth not bitter taste. Spaghetti squash is just what it says a substitute for spaghetti noodles

Evolver
04-22-2012, 01:13 PM
Butternut...

I've eaten it many times, either at friends or in resteraunts, and actually cooked with it, either from a can or frozen pcs.

But, today... TODAY!!!

I just cut up my first whole one on my own. The smell alone was wonderful!

Questions:

The seeds are very much like pumpkin seeds... anyone do them up like that?
I don't know if the squash I had is organic or not, but I saved the seeds anyways, I'm saving about 1/2 for planting; and since I had my dehydrator running anyways... I blanched the rest, seasoned them and tossed them on a tray. we'll see! lol

What are some other types you guys like, why, and what all can you do with them?

Good question! I don't see why you couldn't eat the squash seeds just like you do pumpkin. Come to think about it I have never even seen squash seeds packaged of eating. You got me thinking too.

Taz Baby
04-22-2012, 01:25 PM
I have found squash seeds at the health food stores so yes you can. But I have not roasted any myself. I would think that any seed that is plumb and big like a pumpkin seed you can eat. Think about i, if you eat the veggie you can eat the seeds

Sniper-T
04-22-2012, 02:10 PM
The seeds turned out fantastic!! I'll certainly be doing them again in the future!

Katrina
04-23-2012, 02:45 AM
Guess you tried drying them. We always take squash/pumpkin seeds and soak them in a salt water solution, then spread out on cookie sheets, roast in the oven about 325-350 for about 1/2- 1 hour. stir once or twice. let cool put in mason jar or zip lock when completely cool.

bacpacker
04-23-2012, 02:46 AM
Butternut, Acorn, and spaghetti squash are our 3 favorites. I got some seeds from a prepper buddy of mine on another site that I'm gonna try this year. He didn't have a name for it. I'll post up a thread at the end of summer to see how they turned out.

Sniper-T
04-23-2012, 11:12 AM
Guess you tried drying them. We always take squash/pumpkin seeds and soak them in a salt water solution, then spread out on cookie sheets, roast in the oven about 325-350 for about 1/2- 1 hour. stir once or twice. let cool put in mason jar or zip lock when completely cool.

^
I've done pumpkin seeds both ways (dehydrate and bake). since I had the dehydrator going anyways I thought I'd save a dirty pan from the oven. lol.
But either way, they will be very good. Squash is something that I will be adding to my garden this year!!

bacpacker
04-23-2012, 04:17 PM
Squash is a good storage food. Winter squash anyway. I've still got a couple of butternuts left from last year. Acorns will last maybe 3 months. Spaghetti maybe 1-2 depending on conditions. 4-6 plants are what i usually plant of butternut and acorn and that provides a good amount of food in a average season.

Sniper-T
04-23-2012, 04:30 PM
What do they like for locations? full sun, partial sun, wet, dry, etc?

I think I am going to go Guerrila with a bunch of squashes and see what happens.

Taz Baby
04-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Squash grow really good on arbors as well and any beans, cucumbers tomato's ect.

http://acuriouscure.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/1-butternut-squash.jpg

Planting Squash – Tips for Growing Squash (http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/vegetable/tips-for-growing-squash.htm)

http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/vegetable/tips-for-growing-squash.htm

bacpacker
04-23-2012, 06:33 PM
.i grow mine right on the ground full sun. Mine don't seem to like wet feet very well.
Taz i have never saw butternuts grown on a arbor before. Very intersti g. I might give that a shot with my spaghetti this year. They seem .ore tempromental to me.

Taz Baby
04-23-2012, 07:04 PM
I have grown my squash on all kinds of things. Like fence,trellis,ground,string poles, and arbor's. I have found that the easiest is the arbor. I plant them in pots and put them by every pole, use lattice on the sides and they climb very well. I plant all the different kinds and they are mixed on the arbor and easy to pick. no weeding and easy to fertilize. As far as the watering goes, I put a shallow pot or pan or even a garbage can lid to hold water for the dry days.

bacpacker
04-24-2012, 12:36 AM
Thanks Taz! Now another project to get going ASAP.